What's new

Iranian Ground Forces | News and Equipment

what is the difference between Dehlaviyeh ATGM (licensed Kornet-EM, one of the best ATGMs in the world) and Toophan 5?

what is the difference between Dehlaviyeh ATGM (licensed Kornet-EM, one of the best ATGMs in the world) and Toophan 5?
Toophan is Iranian ATGM based on US made TOW and version 5 is one of the newest and most advanced variants,it has laser guidance and Iran also introduced termobaric warheads for Toophan...Toophan 5,if I remeber corectlly has tandem warheads ....while Dehlaviyeh (licensed produced Kornet -E ATGM which is is one of the Russian most capable ATGMs),also has version with termobaric warhead ,has laser beam riding guidance and seems that Iran has developed laser beam riding guidance for toophan..Till now I could identify least 9 or 10 different Toophan variants or sub-variants..

Toophan is Iranian ATGM based on US made TOW and version 5 is one of the newest and most advanced variants,it has laser guidance and Iran also introduced termobaric warheads for Toophan...Toophan 5,if I remeber corectlly has tandem warheads ....while Dehlaviyeh (licensed produced Kornet -E ATGM which is is one of the Russian most capable ATGMs),also has version with termobaric warhead ,has laser beam riding guidance and seems that Iran has developed laser beam riding guidance for toophan..Till now I could identify least 9 or 10 different Toophan variants or sub-variants..

The laser guided TOW/Toophan variants lost in trails against the Dehlaviye/Kornet. In every sense the Dehlaviye was better than Irans laser-Toophan, foremost much lighter to be carried by infantry. Same as how the Konkurs compares to the TOW.

All Toophan rounds for TOW are avialable in wire guided variants, the large tandem variant Toophan 5, as well as top attack and Thermobaric variants.
I doubt any laser variants made it to production, they all have a wire guided equivalents.

The laser guided TOW/Toophan variants lost in trails against the Dehlaviye/Kornet. In every sense the Dehlaviye was better than Irans laser-Toophan, foremost much lighter to be carried by infantry. Same as how the Konkurs compares to the TOW.

All Toophan rounds for TOW are avialable in wire guided variants, the large tandem variant Toophan 5, as well as top attack and Thermobaric variants.
I doubt any laser variants made it to production, they all have a wire guided equivalents.
sepas

Laser beam is weak form of guidance against an advanced adversary as the beam can be jammed. Surprising it took Syria so long to develop the shorta laser jammer during the war. It effectively neutralized the TOW attacks that were tearing apart infantary and mechanized armour. It saved countless lives.

Hence why Hezbollah still uses wired guidance because though archaic it is not possible to stop it unless there is an APS system on tank. Furthermore, in the future any war with Israel will likely face APS/jammers on Merkavas.

Laser beam is weak form of guidance against an advanced adversary as the beam can be jammed. Surprising it took Syria so long to develop the shorta laser jammer during the war. It effectively neutralized the TOW attacks that were tearing apart infantary and mechanized armour. It saved countless lives.

Hence why Hezbollah still uses wired guidance because though archaic it is not possible to stop it unless there is an APS system on tank. Furthermore, in the future any war with Israel will likely face APS/jammers on Merkavas.
Yes, the Merkavas are being fitted with APS, but they're still vulnerable against a top attack missile. I wonder if Iran has any FGM-148 Javelin or Tow 2-Aero model missiles in development. There is also the RPG-30 that seems to be effective against APS by firing a decoy missile followed by the actual round. Frankly, with ATGM like these, the days of armor is numbered.

Last edited:
Yes, the Merkavas are being fitted with APS, but they're still vulnerable against a top attack missile. I wonder if Iran has any FGM-148 Javelin or Tow 2-Aero model missiles in development. There is also the RPG-30 that seems to be effective against APS by firing a decoy missile followed by the actual round. Frankly, with ATGM like these, the days of armor is numbered.
Speaking of Iran ATGM what about talking about Iranians Rocket Launcher like RPG-7 and 29? I will be very disappointed that Iran has no plan for replacing their RPG-7

Speaking of Iran ATGM what about talking about Iranians Rocket Launcher like RPG-7 and 29? I will be very disappointed that Iran has no plan for replacing their RPG-7

Why?Given the versatility of the rockets produced for it it's still a great weapon.Not to mention a cheap and light which is the exact reason Russians are still using it despite making dozens of other rocket launchers.The PG-7R round close distance hit would be a nightmare,even for tanks with best protection.

rpg-7_ammunition_Russia_russian_001.jpg

There is a difference between laser guided ATGMs.
We have guidance via laser illumination and via laser beam riding.

Laser beam riding ATGM like the Dehlaviye/Kornet are impossible to jam (at least to known technology).
Hellfire like laser illumination on the other hand leaves a door open for jamming.

Laser beam ridding and laser guidance are two completely different thing and I didn't hear of any jammimg capatibilities vs laser beam ridding ....that is why Iran is looking to adopt it for Toophan...even should mention it is much expensive ....Iran has wide range of options when it comes to ATGMs depending on enemies capatibilities.

its a laser-riding missile not Laser guided one that you paint the tank with laser so I doubt Shorta help as Shorta-1 is designed to interrupt Laser designator and rangefinders and Toofan-5 don't rely on them
the weakness of Laser-riding is that they are hard to control specially hard to change the course of the missile and the only thing you can do against them is smoke screen , but the smoke screen must be somehow far from the tank or the missile just fly its previous course and hit the tank

Unveiling of IRGC's newest achievement "General Rezaee"!

گزارش تصویری/ افتتاح پروژه های دفاعی نیروی زمینی

نمیتونستن توی یه عکس هم که شده دوربین رو از روی رضایی ببرن رو دستاوردها
من نمیدونم بصرت رو به جلوشون چقدره ولی از اون سر پشت بوم افتادن!
فقط دو توضیح وجود داره یا رضایی داره خودش را برای انتخابات بعدی رونمایی میکنه یا عکاس پسرخاله رضایی هستش
البته یک توضیح دیگه هم هست و اون اینه که واقعا چیز چندانی برای افتتاح نبوده و یا عکاس از ارزش چیزهایی که
رونمایی شدن بی اطلاع بوده . حقیقتش به نظر من مشکل بیشتر بر میگرده به بی اطلایی خبرنگارها و باید در این زمینه
وزارت دفاع و یا نیروهای مسلح یک فکری بکنن.

49787_479.jpg

this one remind me of Zanboorak
zz31211.JPG

Well arming an ATV with an ATGM doesn't appear that impressive but think about this. The average Abrams tank costs $6 million dollars. How much does it cost to build or buy an ATV & mount an ATGM on top ? How many will you need to destroy that Abrams tank ? Considering the fact that even one good hit can decimate a $6 million dollar tank, it's a very cost effective weapon, great for guerilla warfare / asymmetrical warfare tactics. It's no laughing matter.

فقط دو توضیح وجود داره یا رضایی داره خودش را برای انتخابات بعدی رونمایی میکنه یا عکاس پسرخاله رضایی هستش
البته یک توضیح دیگه هم هست و اون اینه که واقعا چیز چندانی برای افتتاح نبوده و یا عکاس از ارزش چیزهایی که
رونمایی شدن بی اطلاع بوده . حقیقتش به نظر من مشکل بیشتر بر میگرده به بی اطلایی خبرنگارها و باید در این زمینه
وزارت دفاع و یا نیروهای مسلح یک فکری بکنن.

49787_479.jpg

this one remind me of Zanboorak
zz31211.JPG

Back
Top Bottom