What's new

Iranian Chill Thread

Bro I don't think it's from Iqbal, but it's a very slightly modified version of a poem belonging to Bidel Dehlavi.

Here's the complete poem:
View attachment 231523

The words can translate into:

نخل: Palm tree

استی: You are

در: in

دود: runs

ریشه: root

عاقبت: aftermath, fate

سوز: burn, destroy

عاقبت سوز: (here it means something that ruins one's fate)

بود: is

اندیشه: thought

It's not always easy to translate poems properly, even if we know meaning of each and every word, that's the thing about poems actually (and specially Persian literature which has usually very deep and challenging spirituality spirit in poems). But if I were to give a rough translation (which may or may not be true), I'd say:

You are like a burning candle in form of a tree whose flames run through its roots --- even being in the shadow of your thought (thinking of you) can destroy or burn one's fate/destiny.

I think despite its external meaning, it shows the intensity of love that the poet has for his lover (which may be earthly love or love for God).

And again, I may be wrong in the meaning, Persian poems (from some certain poets especially) can be very very tricky, having various apparent and hidden meanings.

I don't know if the one you showed is a modified version of Bidel's poem by Iqbal or not, but the pic I posted is the complete poem by Bidel Dehlavi.
Thankyou, merci, gracias, tesekkur, mamnoon…… you have explained it perfectly. I always knew you were one of the very few genuinely genuine members on this forum. Actually too real to be here, where members are predominantly south Asians who mostly have notoriety for being products of a terribly watered down education which is hardly surprising given how poor this region is.

The couplet by Iqbal must indeed be the modified version of Bidel's as Iqbal frequently uses lines and couplets from Persian literature, sometimes even translations from German poetry.

The translation you provided is perfectly in order with the context. Only that its not about love etc. This couplet and the stanza its part of is written in an ubermensch spirit. The poet complained to Allah about the condition of muslims in the prequel poem. How Allah has abandoned the muslims and all that. The poem this couplet is from is the reply from Allah, so here HE is telling the muslim how super duper he is. The hand of God in this world, its conqueror, the maker of its destiny etc etc.
btw Iqbal readers know that whenever Iqbal says something in Persian, he has gone off to a far away mystical land that humble urdu-ers cant even dream about. And reaching the depths of his words is well beyond the poor urdu mind.

Last edited:
عاقبت سوز: (here it means something that ruins one's fate)
عافیت سوز بود سایه اندیشه ما
I guess you made a mistake here... It is AFIYAT and not AGHEBAT

the meaning of the verse would be like this:

نخل شمعیم که در شعله دود ریشه ما
عافیت سوز بود سایه اندیشه ما

We are like Palm tree-candles (Candles in form of a palm tree) that our roots extend where fire (heat) exists.

The shadow of our thought (mindset) only deprives us of comfort (The shadow of our thought burns our
wellbeing and comfort)... means our way of thinking will not bring any good to us in this life...

This poem is from "Bidel Dehlavi" which is the poetic name of "Mirza Abdul ghader Bidel Dehlavi" who was born in Southern shores of Gang river in Azimabad Patneh in India... He died in Delhi in 1754

I gotta say... His poems are very deep and strong... he is a soufi like poem

Thankyou @scythian500 sensei but Iqbal's lines are the modified ones. The lines preceding these two said:

Your robe is free from dust of country, Not yours such narrow ties,
That Yousuf you, who Canaan sweet, In every Egypt lies;
Your caravan will never get forlon and abandoned
you need nothing other than the marching bells

clearly hyper-romanticism, which is contradictory to sufism.

Thankyou @scythian500 sensei but Iqbal's lines are the modified ones. The lines preceding these two said:

Your robe is free from dust of country, Not yours such narrow ties,
That Yousuf you, who Canaan sweet, In every Egypt lies;
Your caravan will never get forlon and abandoned
you need nothing other than the marching bells

clearly hyper-romanticism, which is contradictory to sufism.
Don't mention it bro... It was n't me who said he smells Sufi... It is said in his biography that he had Sufi inclination...
Good luck with rumi btw,... he is a world of unknown and fascination

Don't mention it bro... It was n't me who said he smells Sufi... It is said in his biography that he had Sufi inclination...
Good luck with rumi btw,... he is a world of unknown and fascination
Bidel must be sufi indeed but i am saying that iqbal modified and used his lines in a different way which was quite contradictory to the original meaning.
What can what say about Rumi! He is just......infinity. The only reason i ever felt a connection was because i myself had occult experiences in my life. Now my soul can sense another soul from the beyond. I dont know the meaning of any of his words, i just now have a slight capacity to feel the air from the other world that Rumi is channeling. Without those experiences Rumi wouldve been non-existent to me but now i just have an extra sense that can feel something man was not originally intended to feel.

Guys... come on and see us here:

What is your feeling about these pictures?

Bidel must be sufi indeed but i am saying that iqbal modified and used his lines in a different way which was quite contradictory to the original meaning.
What can what say about Rumi! He is just......infinity. The only reason i ever felt a connection was because i myself had occult experiences in my life. Now my soul can sense another soul from the beyond. I dont know the meaning of any of his words, i just now have a slight capacity to feel the air from the other world that Rumi is channeling. Without those experiences Rumi wouldve been non-existent to me but now i just have an extra sense that can feel something man was not originally intended to feel.
I agree... my translation was for the one that @Serpentine posted...

The Mighty 7-year-old Army General!!

Thankyou, merci, gracias, tesekkur, mamnoon…… you have explained it perfectly. I always knew you were one of the very few genuinely genuine members on this forum. Actually too real to be here, where members are predominantly south Asians who mostly have notoriety for being products of a terribly watered down education which is hardly surprising given how poor this region is.

The couplet by Iqbal must indeed be the modified version of Bidel's as Iqbal frequently uses lines and couplets from Persian literature, sometimes even translations from German poetry.

The translation you provided is perfectly in order with the context. Only that its not about love etc. This couplet and the stanza its part of is written in an ubermensch spirit. The poet complained to Allah about the condition of muslims in the prequel poem. How Allah has abandoned the muslims and all that. The poem this couplet is from is the reply from Allah, so here HE is telling the muslim how super duper he is. The hand of God in this world, its conqueror, the maker of its destiny etc etc.
btw Iqbal readers know that whenever Iqbal says something in Persian, he has gone off to a far away mystical land that humble urdu-ers cant even dream about. And reaching the depths of his words is well beyond the poor urdu mind.

Thanks bro, that's kind of you.

You seem to be a man of poetry and literature, that's great. Literature is a wonderful, yet full of mystery world. The more you go in, the more you'll be amazed.

Home sweet home, hello every one.
Inferiority complex of @scythian500
Hi man, how are you mate.
I feel betrayed by you guys, :lol: I was expecting to be in Marmara Hotel, but mistakenly I did reserve room in Marmaray one.
Got me a long story to fix the typo, in fact. :lol:
But all in all Turkey and in particular Istanbul were so nice. :tup:

Iranian brothers please help me with the literal translation of this couplet. I feel this is the very best شعر of Iqbal even though i dont really understand it. I am under the impression that it means something like 'you are the candle whose very flame burns all the worry of future'.
85.GIF

Please provide me the meanings of words i dont know:
نخل ?
شمع candle
استی ?
و and
در ?
شعله flame
دود ?
ریشه ? (thread in urdu)
تو you
عاقبت ?
سوز ?
بود ?
سایه shadow
اندیشه worry?
ثو you

Hi mate, I wasn't to reply your post but the ridiculous attempts of translation by some fellow Iranians made me to answer it.
نخل شمع in Persian literature is a metaphor for the candle wick.The poem resembles us to a palm tree but not every palm tree but the one in a candle (it's wick, if you are confused then the poet has reached his goal :lol: ), and says like every real palm tree got roots, the roots of this نخل شمع (candle wick) is mixed and meant to be bound with fire.

In the second hemistich the poet says, just like the shadow of the palm tree (in Persian poet the palm tree is famous for it's shadow, that saves people from the exhausting heat of the desert) our thought (اندیشه ما ) which is the product and result of this candle wick (نخل شمع , the palm of the candle) would cost us a great price (عاقبت سوز) just like the flames which are the products of a candle, and as the price cause it to melt down in drops.

If you didn't understand the above lines read them once again and then if once again the problem exists you should know, you have all the rights :lol:, cause it's hard to understand it in Persian let alone translating it into another language.

I feel betrayed by you guys, :lol: I was expecting to be in Marmara Hotel, but mistakenly I did reserve room in Marmaray one.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Man.......how can you make a huge mistake. :) Marmara hotel is one of the best hotels in İstanbul...Marmaray....never heard anything about Marmaray hotel.. :lol:

Where did you visit in Turkey. ? :)

Hi mate, I wasn't to reply your post but the ridiculous attempts of translation by some fellow Iranians made me to answer it.
نخل شمع in Persian literature is a metaphor for the candle wick.The poem resembles us to a palm tree but not every palm tree but the one in a candle (it's wick, if you are confused then the poet has reached his goal :lol: ), and says like every real palm tree got roots, the roots of this نخل شمع (candle wick) is mixed and meant to be bound with fire.

In the second hemistich the poet says, just like the shadow of the palm tree (in Persian poet the palm tree is famous for it's shadow, that saves people from the exhausting heat of the desert) our thought (اندیشه ما ) which is the product and result of this candle wick (نخل شمع , the palm of the candle) would cost us a great price (عاقبت سوز) just like the flames which are the products of a candle, and as the price cause it to melt down in drops.

If you didn't understand the above lines read them once again and then if once again the problem exists you should know, you have all the rights :lol:, cause it's hard to understand it in Persian let alone translating it into another language.
HI HI HI :yahoo:
Where have you been man ?
I was thinking of you . So , what's up ?

images.png

( in HALAL standard conditions )

Glad you liked it, which places did you visit? :)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Man.......how can you make a huge mistake. :) Marmara hotel is one of the best hotels in İstanbul...Marmaray....never heard anything about Marmaray hotel.. :lol:

Where did you visit in Turkey. ? :)

Glad you liked it, which places did you visit? :)

Hehe, dudes, that was really a pissing off story (I mean the MarmaraY one) but all in all I really enjoyed the stay.
This wasn't my first turkey visit, but like always it was nice being there.
In fact turkey wasn't the final destination but we stayed there for four nights.
I did got the Akbil cart for the first move(personal previous experience),:lol: the taxi rates are insane.
A night on ship on the coast, the strait of bosphorous, nice restaurants, HD as my favorite, Turkish kebabs, simit sakayi:lol:, Ayran :lol::lol::lol:
As I am not a man of much touring or sight seeing spend the most of time in malls, marama forum, osman bey, grand bazar :lol:, but visited the soliman mosquee, ayasofya, prince island ... and some other places.
Nice people but one problem, as one of the worlds major tourism destinations, with something around 30m tourists per year, if I'm not wrong, and so many tourists everywhere, the peoples inability to speak English is something annoying indeed. But not that much annoying that would prevent you from another trip there, I believe. :lol:
HI HI HI :yahoo:
Where have you been man ?
I was thinking of you . So , what's up ?

images-png.231691

( in HALAL standard conditions )
Hi rahi bro.
zire sayatoun boodim. ye moddat ba ahl o ayal gozaroondim, jatoon khali.
in yeki do safhe ro nehag kardam, hishki az baro bachz nistan, faght in yaroo 50 salehe post mizare faght :lol:
khodet khoobi mashti?

Hehe, dudes, that was really a pissing off story (I mean the MarmaraY one) but all in all I really enjoyed the stay.
This wasn't my first turkey visit, but like always it was nice being there.
In fact turkey wasn't the final destination but we stayed there for four nights.
I did got the Akbil cart for the first move(personal previous experience),:lol: the taxi rates are insane.
A night on ship on the coast, the strait of bosphorous, nice restaurants, HD as my favorite, Turkish kebabs, simit sakayi:lol:, Ayran :lol::lol::lol:
As I am not a man of much touring or sight seeing spend the most of time in malls, marama forum, osman bey, grand bazar :lol:, but visited the soliman mosquee, ayasofya, prince island ... and some other places.
Nice people but one problem, as one of the worlds major tourism destinations, with something around 30m tourists per year, if I'm not wrong, and so many tourists everywhere, the peoples inability to speak English is something annoying indeed. But not that much annoying that would prevent you from another trip there, I believe. :lol:
Oh Prince Islands was my aim last year when i visited Istanbul but it was too rainy so i just spend the days in malls, museums and such stuff. Its a very nice place as i heard, one of few quiet places in Istanbul, thank god they dont allow cars there. :)

Back
Top Bottom