What's new

Iranian Arabs

what central asian country ?:o:

Afghanistan.

That's what everybody familiar to the region associates it with. The blue ones in particular.

Detail of the head and upper torso portions of a silk burqa

Two Afghan women in burqas.

Burqa is an Arabized Persian word of purda (parda) meaning curtain and veil, which have the same meaning in Persian.[1]

Such garments/veils have never been worn in the Arab world or the Semitic world. The most conservative hijab in the Arab world is the niqab.

This is an example of a traditional veil in parts of Hijaz and Al-Bahah and the South of KSA. Worn by people in the highlands.

Or such ones:

Last edited:
@Serpentine

I agree with your points. Although I for obvious reasons don't know about the issues you talk about that deal with the issues inside Iran.

What I can tell you though is that a Burqa is not worn in the Arab world. It is a Central Asian phenomenon. Mostly found in Afghanistan.

Niqab on the other hand is popular in KSA, Yemen and other parts of the Arab world. Mostly a hijab is just worn. There are many colorful modern one or the traditional one depending on the Arab country and region.

I think that you are referring to a Niqab. But it seem to me that Southern Iran seems conservative compared to the rest of the country? Is that right?

Maybe that's Niqab, there are different names for it, I meant anything that covers the face basically. I saw too many women in Medina and Mecca who wore them, so Niqab is the one used by Arabs.

I can't say exactly they are more conservative. If by conservative you mean religious, then there are some parts that number of religious people is high, especially in smaller cities, and not necessarily in the south. In rural areas in all parts of the country, people are generally more conservative, and I think that's the case for all countries in the world.

Niqab is basically this:

Many wear that. Well, hijab is enough for me personally. Some wear it more out of a tradition among some families rather than anything to do with religion.

LOL. He is 40+ so that might explain it. He could be our father in fact. I want him to see this thread. He talked about Iranian Arabs a few times. Like to hear his perspective since he was born in Iran and lived there during the Pahlavi and during the Islamic Republic.
thank you Al Hasani
it was an individual choice by my grand father , not linked at all to a big migration ... very much individual
for religious studies in Pahlavi' (son not father) period.

when i see the Lebanese people in France i feel very much like them
Arab or Persian, Lebanese or Iranian, i would say even Iraqi or Iranian, indeed we have so much similarities

sorry i let you discuss about the topic. you all know much more than me indeed . the only general opinion i get from the Iranian Arabs i know is they feel very much Iranian. And this is the duty of the country that they feel so.

There has been no polling to confirm that, but many Azeris do live in Tehran obviously and this wasn't my point. South Caspians, as you call them, are also a part of Iran. I don't know why you try to portray Iran as a Persian-only country, because it isn't. Iran is NOT equal to Persians, never has been. Iran is equal to Iranians, regardless of ethnicity. I have the impression that you want to say Tehran is Tehran because half of it are Azeris, and the other half are backward primitives who abuse women's rights on a daily basis, or maybe you don't, that's just my impression. :D
well, your impression is wrong. BTW, ethnicities have many different traditions, behaviors, and mindset. That's a fact. I really hate it when some pan-iranists call us turkified, or call khouzestanis as arabized. We are not the same as persians. BTW, in a traditional country like Iran, these differences can be seen more clearly. BTW, there are multiple estimates, even official ones from interior ministry(Vezaarat Keshvar), which you can see them in their journals and ethnicities estimates can be found there, for each county(Shahrestan).
Please tell me honestly, how many times have you traveled to Mashhad, Isfahan, Shiraz or even Tabriz itself? How is Isfahan or Shiraz any different from Tehran or Tabriz or Ahwaz? Because your assumptions here at least show that you haven't visited them even once. How are women's rights in Yazd being abused? Yazd is a beautiful traditional city and a large portion of its people are religious and I fully respect their beliefs. They maybe different in some traditional beliefs, but not necessarily in a bad way.
Travel? Dude, I have traveled almost every corner of Iran. I am a big fan of traveling and usually travel at least twice a year, other wise I would feel being in a prison. :-)
OK, here is my list:
Mashhad: 3 times
Isfahan:5 times
Kashan: 7-8 times at least
Shiraz:3 times
Yazd, bandar abbas, kerman: 1 time
Mazandaran, and Gilan, Golestan(Turkmen regions): at least 20 times
Tabriz, Ardebil, Zanjan, Urmia: numerous times :partay:
Ahwaz, balouchestan, and cavemen region: I have never been there.
I have traveled to neighboring and foreign countries as well. Such as Azerbaijan, Turkey, UAE(Dubai), Armenia, Russia, UK, and currently live in USA.
So, I think you cannot accuse me of not traveling, ... Obviously, there are many differences between these cities and ethnicities. I can individually explain their differences for you, if you want.
About Bandar Abbas, well it isn't exactly a Persian city either, there are many Arabs living there and Niqab or Burqa is mostly an Arab tradition and you can't say for sure if they are 'forced' to wear them, because they are free not do so. It's like saying rights of a woman in Tabriz who wears a Chador are being abused because she is forced to do it. This doesn't even make sense.
It is a persian tradition dude, and as @al-Hasani posted, you can find its trace in persians of Afghanistan as well. Population of Bandar Abbas, is mostly Bandari Persian, and has an arab minority who are very close to Arabs who live in UAE, and many of them are Sunni muslim.
And don't take me wrong dear, I'm not obsessed with this Turk/Persian/ Kurd/Lur/blah blah nonsense that Turks are X, Persians are Y or Kurds are Z. People who have realized that we are now in 21st century and can think a little bit, won't talk about these ethnic/race issues anymore, in a way to show that X race is better than Y. Just look at Europe now, borders of countries are not any limits or separating factors anymore. No German says I'm a chosen Aryan and and no French brags about Franks. We should learn from them and cut all these genetic/racist bs, that's why ME goes forward so slowly.
Dude, assimilation is racism. If someone is not from your ethnicity, and says so, it does not mean that he is a racist. I hope you guys can be more tolerant about other ethnicities. Otherwise, what happened and is currently happening in Europe, i.e separation of countries, would happen in Iran as well.

It is a persian tradition dude, and as @al-Hasani posted, you can find its trace in persians of Afghanistan as well.

Its not a Persian tradition. You can't find it in Iran's history, nor in Persian culture. Afghanistan is not Persian anymore, at least not a great part of the country. They have been Turkified, Mongolized and culturally Arabized. Only some parts in the north are more like us.

Do you know what Persian tradition is? Science, education and poetry. Which all you Turks lack.

Dude, assimilation is racism. If someone is not from your ethnicity, and says so, it does not mean that he is a racist. I hope you guys can be more tolerant about other ethnicities. Otherwise, what happened and is currently happening in Europe, i.e separation of countries, would happen in Iran as well.

You are free to give up your Iranian nationality and you and your people to leave Iranian territory. Assimilation is racism, so please get rid of your Iranian flag as well. I at least expect a guy who is just as proud of his yurt ancestry, to at least profile his yurt flag.

Oh, and I find it funny that someone who has travelled as much as you have to Iranian Azerbaijan, can't even speak Turkic. I bet I can even speak better Turkic than you do.

Don't lie so much. Its not convincing.

thank you Al Hasani
it was an individual choice by my grand father , not linked at all to a big migration ... very much individual
for religious studies in Pahlavi' (son not father) period.

when i see the Lebanese people in France i feel very much like them
Arab or Persian, Lebanese or Iranian, i would say even Iraqi or Iranian, indeed we have so much similarities

sorry i let you discuss about the topic. you all know much more than me indeed . the only general opinion i get from the Iranian Arabs i know is they feel very much Iranian. And this is the duty of the country that they feel so.

J'espère que tu vas bien, Hussein.

Yes, but I thought that Sadah families in Iran were always respected even during the mostly nationalistic Pahlavi era? Or am I wrong? I mean they were not involved in politics at least. Neither should they have in hindsight. But that's just my opinion.

Well, I hoped that you could give some insight about the Iranian Arabs from a close hand. That would be very interesting because firstly I do not know anything other than what I read on the internet and secondly, maybe even more importantly, we Arabs from outside of Iran do not know much or close to anything about Iranian Arabs. At one point you have rumors of oppression and then something completely else. Since we do not know it we cannot verify it. Since you are half Arab and half Persian and you grew up in Iran and you are an respected elder here I thought that your input would be of very big interest. I actually made this thread with you in mind. I did not expect it to even get 10% of its interest. In fact I thought just about writing a post in the "Arabic coffee" thread where I would tag you.
Anyway thank you.

Afghanistan is not Persian anymore, at least not a great part of the country. They have been Turkified, Mongolized and culturally Arabized. Only some parts in the north are more like us.

Do you know what Persian tradition is? Science, education and poetry. Which all you Turks lack.

You are free to give up your Iranian nationality and you and your people to leave Iranian territory. Assimilation is racism, so please get rid of your Iranian flag as well. I at least expect a guy who is just as proud of his yurt ancestry, to at least profile his yurt flag.

@Serpentine
Before accusing me for racism, just read the bold part, written by your friend, and tell me whether they are full of racism or not.
He has even racism about persians in Afghanistan. Please do not tell me that he is only one person and ... since we know that how much these thoughts are strong in Iran.

@Serpentine
Before accusing me for racism, just read the bold part, written by your friend, and tell me whether they are full of racism or not.
He has even racism about persians in Afghanistan. Please do not tell me that he is only one person and ... since we know that how much these thoughts are strong in Iran.

Serpentine is not responsible for my posts, and I'm sure Serpentine even disagrees with me. I am not even slightly hinting that I am speaking for Iranians on this forum, let alone the Iranian community.

My beef is with you and your people.

@Abii bro, I see you are online

Please tell us about your background.

Serpentine is not responsible for my posts, and I'm sure Serpentine even disagrees with me. I am not even slightly hinting that I am speaking for Iranians on this forum, let alone the Iranian community.

My beef is with you and your people.
I don't give a damn about you. Stop quoting me. I just wanted to show the depth of stupidity and racism in your post as a typical sample to @Serpentine. Nothing more.

I don't give a damn about you. Stop quoting me. I just wanted to show the depth of stupidity and racism in your post as a typical sample to @Serpentine. Nothing more.

I decide whoever I want to quote or not. Anyway. I'm not a racist. I just can't stand your kind of people. It makes me want to vomit.

The only Iranian arabs I've had contact with were my uncle's ex wife's family. He married an arab girl from Bushehr (I think she was studying in university in Isfahan and that's where they met). She spoke clear Persian so you wouldn't know she was arab, but her family were a sight to see for me as a kid. We went down to Bushehr once and were guests at their home. The food was INCREDIBLY spicy. Apparently that's common down south. I also heard arabic being spoken for the first time in that house.

They got divorced a few years back though.

Back
Top Bottom