What's new

Iranian Arabs

I don't think a surname represents 'who you are' as a person. If someone doesn't like his surname, its his right to change it. My uncle, who fought in the Iran-Iraq War, was ashamed of his Arab first name, and changed it into a

yeah my little brother also changed both his first name and his surname. He changed to his moms surname which is very Persian. I think its a little silly but to each his own.
I honestly dont give these things much thought.

yeah my little brother also changed both his first name and his surname. He changed to his moms surname which is very Persian. I think its a little silly but to each his own.
I honestly give these things much thought.

Well, nationalism has increased after the revolution, which translates in people looking more after their Persian names. People may see this as anti-Arabism, but don't forget that these sentiments really started after Saddam attacked Iran. Before that many people didn't give much to this Arab-Persiand distinction, at least not just as now.

To say it bluntly, the Arabs are largely responsible for these sentiments themselves.

Well, nationalism has increased after the revolution, which translates in people looking more after their Persian names. People may see this as anti-Arabism, but don't forget that these sentiments really started after Saddam attacked Iran. Before that many people didn't give much to this Arab-Persiand distinction, at least not just as now.

To say it bluntly, the Arabs are largely responsible for these sentiments themselves.

I can understand that. Personally Im a nationalist although not a Persian Nationalist but an Iranian nationalist, even if Im probably more than 95 % Persian.
Maybe thats why I dont attach much importance to the name.

My little sister and older brother have also changed their surnames. They are (along with my mom) pressuring me to change. I just dont care that much, plus Im rarher lazy LOL

I honestly dont give these things much thought.

What? Why? Are you planning to do the same? What's your father's reaction to that and knowing that they are probably legitimate as you told? Well, Iranians as any other people are free to do what they want and have the views they want to in my opinion. If they don't like their Arab heritage or the Arab names they were given by their parents.

I don't know about you but reading about Iranian Arabs they seem as a quite well integrated minority, albeit not very big (2% of Iran's population) who have contributed A LOT to Iran given their small size. From way back. Even the same Iranian Arabs were the first line of defense against Saddam's Iraq. So they have shown their loyalty. That many probably want more rights and some even a bigger say in the regions were Arabs are the majority or a big minority is something differently.

I do believe that most Arabs and Iranians can live and function without any problems. Or other Semitic people (Jews). History shows this in abundance. Even way before Islam came. We have Pakistani users in the US telling about how American Arabs and Iranian Americans cooperates, we see it in Europe and we see it in the GCC and in Iran.

The thing is though that many atheist Iranians and nationalists, due to the recent events (Iranian revolution in 1979, Iraq-Iran war) and the current sectarian conflicts are anti-Arab and vice versa.

Iranian Arabs are just as Iranian as anybody else is today. Iran is far from a homogenous country. I don't think that diversity should be frowned upon especially not in the ME were most people are related anyway as genetics show. More related to each other than outsiders not from the ME.
Besides the Hashemite lineages are one of the oldest in terms of recorded lineages in human history if not the oldest. Tracing all the way back to Prophet Ibrahim (as).

Last edited:
I can understand that. Personally Im a nationalist although not a Persian Nationalist but an Iranian nationalist, even if Im probably more than 95 % Persian.
Maybe thats why I dont attach much importance to the name.

My little sister and older brother have also changed their surnames. They are (along with my mom) pressuring me to change. I just dont care that much, plus Im rarher lazy LOL

Yes, I'm an Iranian nationalist as well, although I've to say that Persians probably formed Iran's culture the most. And that is nothing to be ashamed of.

I can understand if people want to change their names. I think if this regime is gone, and it will one day, we will see many people do the same. I even predict that most people would not have Arabic-sounding names anymore within one century. The regime is largely responsible for it itself.

Although what I don't like is this trend of Western names among Iranians. Thats just pathetic.

What? Why that? Are you planning to do the same? What's your father's reaction to that and knowing that they are probably legitimate as you told? Well, Iranians as any other people are free to do what they want and have the views they want to in my opinion. If they don't like their Arab heritage or the Arab names they were given by their parents.

I don't know about you but reading about Iranian Arabs they seem as a quite well integrated minority, albeit not very big (2% of Iran's population) who have contributed A LOT to Iran given their small size. From way back. Even the same Iranian Arabs were the first line of defense against Saddam's Iraq. So they have shown their loyalty. That many probably want more rights and some even a bigger say in the regions were Arabs are the majority or a big minority is something differently.

I do believe that most Arabs and Iranians can live and function without any problems. Or other Semitic people (Jews). History shows this in abundance. Even way before Islam came. We have Pakistani users in the US telling about how American Arabs and Iranian Americans cooperates, we see it in Europe and we see it in the GCC and in Iran.

The thing is though that many atheist Iranians and nationalists, due to the recent events (Iranian revolution in 1979, Iraq-Iran war) and the current sectarian conflicts are anti-Arab and vice versa.

My father is pretty laid back and does not care that much. To be upfront with you, my father is some what of a Persian Nationalist and have some anti-Arab sentiment in him. He hates IRI for aiding Palestinians, Hezbollah etc. And this despite being Seyyed.

As Surenas said, its one of the effects after Iraq war.

I honestly dont have that much anti sentiments, although sometimes i can get carried away on the forum and it comes off as racist.
In real life I have many Arab friends. I have also met Saudis in Los Angeles and they were very cool nice and accomodating people.
I hope we Iranians and Arabs stop view each other staunch enemies one day. I think its holding the region back economically and also in terms of stability.

If Iran and KSA were to cooperate and invest massively in each other economies, the potential are endless.
so instead of being enrmies, try to peacefully coexist and perhaps even become close friends eventually. I know, sounds impossibl right? LOL

I dont have any plans to change my name. I just dont assign my name that much importance.

how did alhassani found out about his persian heritage? now the big question could be: "will he stop bashing persians?"

I agree with you al Hasani that Iranian Arabs are loyal. I also agree that they are as much Iranian as his Persian counterpart. You can be 100 % Arab and still be 100 % Iranian. The two are not mutually exclusive, because Iran is a nationality and not race.
And Iranian Arabs have been very productive and integral part of Iran, like you said. :)

Like I said, when people ask what I am I never say Persian. I always say Iranian

how did alhassani found out about his persian heritage? now the big question could be: "will he stop bashing persians?"

It is not something recent. As I told you the prodigy of Hasan ibn Ali (ra) and Hussein ibn Ali (ra) married Persian women and since all the Hashemite lineages descend from several lineages descending from them many have Persian ancestry down the line. Then add to the fact that Sharif's of Makkah have married non-Arabs down the line. It's not really that outrageous nor does it matter. It's so many generations back. Even the whole lineage of the 12 Imams in Shia Islam have not only Persian blood but also African in this case Ethiopian. I don't recall which of the 12 Imams was half Ethiopian. But google will help you out.

Lastly most Sadah families have migrated across the Muslim and Arab world for centuries. Due to historical reasons and due to being the first in line in terms of missionary work. Or due to persecution from rivaling rulers that always saw the Hashemites as a thread to their rule. Despite there being a lot of Hashemite rulers from the Arab world to South Asia to South East Asia.

For instance I can trace my ancestry to Husayn ibn Ali (ra) and to his son Ali ibn Husayin (ra).

Shahrbanu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The mother of Ali ibn Husayn (ra)

@ResurgentIran

I fully agree with what you have written.

The hashemites are British puppets. this cult must be stamped out of the ME.

The hashemites are British puppets. this cult must be stamped out of the ME.

Quit the trolling and insults.

@ResurgentIran

Is Bazmi or Jahan Persian names? If that's the case then that is the name of one of my ancestors not long ago. A women (6-7 generations ago).

The Hashemites are actually puppets, the King of Jordan is a huge example of that, if anyone wants examples the list is longer then the amount of space the PDF servers can hold.

Quit the trolling and insults.

@ResurgentIran

Is Bazmi or Jahan Persian names? If that's the case then that is the name of one of my ancestors not long ago. A women (6-7 generations ago).

Bazmi and Jahan are Persian names. Bazm means a feast. Its part of the famous Persian culture of 'razm o bazm'. And Jahan means the world. Jahangir means the 'world conquerer'.

@Surenas

How about Dilber Khanum? Sounds Turkish to me.

The Hashemites are actually puppets, the King of Jordan is a huge example of that, if anyone wants examples the list is longer then the amount of space the PDF servers can hold.

Quit your usual trolling and nonsense, Mr. Jabouri.

@BLACKEAGLE

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom