What's new

Iranian Arabs

I don't know about that. But Al-Sistani's lineage is pretty well recorded. He is a Sayyid otherwise other Sadah and well-respeted Shia clerics etc. would not have accepted him. His family has had high religious position since the Safavid era. They are not your average Joe that started to use titles left and right without any documentation. Besides all Sadah families had family trees and they were not allowed to receive zakat for instance.

All assumptions. Khoei was also a respected cleric in Iraq, although coming from Iranian Azerbaijan. I'll bet if you look up to their lineages, its all fabrication. Sayyids were probably loosely given.

The source stats that some of them are Arabs and they are wearing Arab dress. Hence there is a very big chance of them being Iranian Arabs. So I thought about posting them. Anyway does not matter.

Yes, but that basketball player and those women could be non-Arab, you don't know. I don't think its fair to pick pictures from Ahvaz from the internet and then insinuate that they are Arab.

Yes, I know that but many are. About 50-50% today I believe. At least people on some of the photos are that.

Something like that. Both of my parents are from Khuzestan originally and I myself was born in city of Bushehr in the province with same name neighboring Khuzestan. Lived my first 5 years in Bushehr, then 4 years is Ahwaz and then Tehran. There are different ethnic groups living in Khuzestan province, Lurs, Arabs Persians are the main ones and it differs based on city and region. In Ahwaz it's something like half Arab/Persian, in some smaller cities people may speak solely Arabic or Persian. Lurs (Bakhtiaris) mostly live in northern parts of province.

Al Hasani

I can't be sure of course, but I think if you look at probabilities, its a very small chance that Al Hasani is partially Persian. Unless he of course has concrete indications, which nobody of us probably have about our ancestors.

He could do a genetic test.

Too much weed for Hasani if you ask me, no one can insult a group that much then claim part of it.

All assumptions. Khoei was also a respected cleric in Iraq, although coming from Iranian Azerbaijan. I'll bet if you look up to their lineages, its all fabrication. Sayyids were probably loosely given.

Yes, but that basketball player and those women could be non-Arab, you don't know. I don't think its fair to pick pictures from Ahvaz from the internet and then insinuate that they are Arab.

But nevertheless a Sayyid. They moved extensively. It does not matter which region you are born in. Your paternal ancestry stays the same. We can't know that for sure. What we know is that there are hundreds sadah families from way before the Safavid Era and also hundreds of Sadah families that were invited to Iran during the Safavid era. Plenty of historical sources that confirm this. Also once again Sayyid's is not something you just can call yourself. The vast majority are genuine just like the vast majority of noble families across the world.

The basketball player, Hamed Haddadi, is an Iranian Arab according to this link below:

List of Iranian Arabs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Born in Ahwaz too. Played in the UAE for a short time.

Too much weed for Hasani if you ask me, no one can insult a group that much then claim part of it.

Hashemites are partially Persian many, many, many generations ago because the offspring of Hasan ibn Ali(ra) and Hussein ibn Ali (ra) married Persians and not only that but other non-Arabs. This is well-established through genealogy, historical attests etc.

I don't smoke anything. Nor can I be sure. Nor does it matter. Nor do I hate any group of people.

Something like that. Both of my parents are from Khuzestan originally and I myself was born in city of Bushehr in the province with same name neighboring Khuzestan. Lived my first 5 years in Bushehr, then 4 years is Ahwaz and then Tehran. There are different ethnic groups living in Khuzestan province, Lurs, Arabs Persians are the main ones and it differs based on city and region. In Ahwaz it's something like half Arab/Persian, in some smaller cities people may speak solely Arabic or Persian. Lurs (Bakhtiaris) mostly live in northern parts of province.

Yes, I know that. :) Most of the Arabs of Iranian ancestry or the non-national Iranains residing in the Arabian Peninsula are more or less exclusively of Persian or Lur ancestry. Which are people that lived near by in Khuzestan or Fars province or the Southern coastal provinces of Iran. So there have been old ties there.

Also once again Sayyid's is not something you just can call yourself. The vast majority are genuine just like the vast majority of noble families across the world.

Most noble families in the world are fabrications. And sayyids probably too. Heck, you even got Turks fresh from Central-Asia claiming descendants of the prophet to legitimize their rule. The Fatamids came to Egypt and told scholars they they were descendants of Ali, and when they questioned them, they drew their swords as an example.

You should read about this history and the way people claimed descendants of holy figures just for legitimization.

Most noble families in the world are fabrications. And sayyids probably too. Heck, you even got Turks fresh from Central-Asia claiming descendants of the prophet to legitimize their rule. The Fatamids came to Egypt and told scholars they they were descendants of Ali, and when they questioned them, they drew their swords as an example.

You should read about this history and the way people claimed descendants of holy figures just for legitimization.

Well, Hashemite lineages and other noble/royal lineages are pretty well established across the world so I don't agree with that at all. Genetic tests also confirm a closeness and they have found the lineage that by far most Sadah families belong to from ACROSS the world.

Also Sadah lineages were protected very clearly in the Muslim world, there were extensive family trees, they had usually high religious or government positions and were exempted from receiving Zakat and largely revered. Even the Ottomans made a book equivalent of the Almanach de Gotha just concerning Hashemite families. It can be found in the Topkapi Palace today in Istanbul. Although it was not fully finished but hundreds of lineages were verified.

But let's disagree on this. I think that we once had a similar discussion.

Fatimids were Sayyids.

Documentation has always been influenced by political and religious affiliation. I wouldn't attach much value to it.

But let's agree to disagree indeed.

I know a Persian family with the surname Hashemi and they are Seyyeds. Im guessing they have Hashemite ancestry?

Anyway lets remember that surnanes didnt exist in Iran until in early 20th century. The people chose their surname based on which tribe they came from, looking back at family trees, and other things.

I believe my family are genuine Seyyeds and we have distant Hijazi ancestry. But off course, one can never be 100 % about these sorta things

My classmate (and teacher) is seyed as well, and therefore is attached to his surname, but he is ashamed of it and wants to change his surname, but its a lengthy bureaucratic procedure in the Netherlands so he leaves it alone for now.

I think its ridiculous to be ashamed of who you are. But this seems to be a trait among Diaspora Iranians who are a little insecure and have complexes

I think its ridiculous to be ashamed of who you are. But this seems to be a trait among Diaspora Iranians who are a little insecure and have complexes

I don't think a surname represents 'who you are' as a person. If someone doesn't like his surname, its his right to change it. My uncle, who fought in the Iran-Iraq War, was ashamed of his Arab first name, and changed it into a Persian one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom