What's new

Iranian Air Defense Systems

All Russian sources today reported that it's fake news and that Russia didn't receive orders from Iran for the S-400.
https://www.interfax.ru/world/663202
https://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/6493585

Moreover, Iran itself has previously (in 2016) stated that it does not plan to order the C-400 ..

“The Russian side has offered the S-400 systems to Iran,” said the minister, according to Tasnim News Agency of Iran. “But we don’t have plans to purchase them.”
https://news.am/eng/news/342609.html

Fair enough, there is two sides to every coin but actions speak volumes compared to words and Russias track record record regarding arms shipments to Iran is abysmal, down right predatory.

Russia used the national security of Iran as a geopolitical bargaining chip for nine-ish years (if I'm not mistaken) and only when the real threat of litigation via international courts was put into play by Iran did they finally capitulate and honor a deal that should have been completed long ago. I'm open to the idea that the news surrounding a supposed S-400 Iran transfer are riddled with misinformation, sure, but that doesn't exonerate Russia from its past actions whatsoever.

Of course Russia would deny the reports, it makes them look like an unreliable supplier in future arms deals with other countries.

Fact is they still haven’t delivered Yak-130’s to Syria and withheld S-300 for years from Syria and only gave it to Syria after Israel publically embarrassed them by causing the shot down of an Russian military aircraft.

History shows Russia’s actions

Yeah it’s not like since 1990’s Russia has violated multiple arms deals with Iran.

Some of you need to get your head out of the sand, if you think Russia will ever be a true ally to Iran.
I'm not counting on Russia for anything, and I'm not a fan of importing anything.
But this is news is about Iran, not Russia.

Only a fool orders a system, just to order a different one, shortly after, all the extra expenses for what? what changed suddenly?
Nothing.

Manpads are not really that lethal to modern fighter jets especially if the fighter jet is flying at sufficent altitude.

Against CAS or helicopters it is a threat.
But Mohammad Jafari stated some years ago that from research, 60% of US's air attacks in wars are via helicopters. I guess thats why there are alot of MANPAD with IRGC/Iranian army high mobility units on ATVs, etc.

I'm not counting on Russia for anything, and I'm not a fan of importing anything.
But this is news is about Iran, not Russia.

Only a fool orders a system, just to order a different one, shortly after, all the extra expenses for what? what changed suddenly?
Nothing.

Iran’s version of S-300 specifications and S-400 are not THAT much different.

And Iran needs more SAMs and since S-300 is no longer produced Iran would either have to buy S-400 or wait for S-500 export version.

Iran’s S-300 order was small and not enough to stand up against a concerted air campaign. Iran needs more long range SAMs and Iran would have to be a fool to hang its entire long range air defense doctrine on an unproven system like Bavar-373.

Iran would benefit from S-400 or S-500 along with another order of TOR short range system.

Iran’s version of S-300 specifications and S-400 are not THAT much different.

And Iran needs more SAMs and since S-300 is no longer produced Iran would either have to buy S-400 or wait for S-500 export version.

Iran’s S-300 order was small and not enough to stand up against a concerted air campaign. Iran needs more long range SAMs and Iran would have to be a fool to hang its entire long range air defense doctrine on an unproven system like Bavar-373.

Iran would benefit from S-400 or S-500 along with another order of TOR short range system.
Being similar doesn't mean that the training, supply and maintenance is the same, do you think our commanders woke up the next day and realized they have ordered short of threats?!

Bavar is way better than S300, not because of it's performance (which is superior), but because of the domestic chain of supply, they can apply any update that they want, unlike S400, which during a war, even a malfunctioning screw can suspend it's operation for an unspecified time.
Also wide users of S400, gives Americans a good chance to study it and compromise it's weaknesses.

My god!

Iran does not need the S-400. And for the famous S-300 PMU the truth is that it is not a PMU2 but a PMU3 or better still a S-300 IR. The S-300 of Iran is unique in the world include elements of the S-400 and even S-350 Vityaz ...

With the arrival of Bavar 373, Iran becomes autonomous in the construction of long-range air defense system. Iran is supported by the S-300 IR, the Tallash 3 which has become a long carry with the Sayyade 3 missile and the S-200 is greatly improved.

Iran would already work on Bavar 373 II

So Iran does not need S-400

Iran’s S-300 order was small and not enough to stand up against a concerted air campaign. Iran needs more long range SAMs and Iran would have to be a fool to hang its entire long range air defense doctrine on an unproven system like Bavar-373

IRI does not buy to use in case of war. Even the s300 was most probably bought to rest and compare to indigenous systems. The fact that that it was such small quantity goes to strengthen that hypothesis. They can’t compromise a non functioning system and disrupted maintenance in case of war.

I have to jump in to this Russia bashing...In this one I am with Russia...why ..because as the famous war criminal Winston Churchil said."countries do not have friends ..they have interests". So why are we Iranians so upset when Russia is looking after her own interests..Being friend with Iran does not make them enemy of our enemies.....and if some one offers them to give up Iran and gain some thing in return of course they should do that...we are not in a school yard...But I know the Iranian way of life is to stick with your friends to the end..and that is fine but do not expect others to have the same code of conduct..Make your Bavar and the hell with them all..the strength should come from within.

I have to jump in to this Russia bashing...In this one I am with Russia...why ..because as the famous war criminal Winston Churchil said."countries do not have friends ..they have interests". So why are we Iranians so upset when Russia is looking after her own interests..Being friend with Iran does not make them enemy of our enemies.....and if some one offers them to give up Iran and gain some thing in return of course they should do that...we are not in a school yard...But I know the Iranian way of life is to stick with your friends to the end..and that is fine but do not expect others to have the same code of conduct..Make your Bavar and the hell with them all..the strength should come from within.

That is why Russia is weak and alone.
That is why US/NATO are on it’s doorstep.

It sold Iran out for lies and false promises. It backed sanctions on Iran and believed the US when it said the missile shield in Europe was for Iranian missiles.

Well karma is truly a bitch. Russia now has Missile shields and US military on its borders and lost its last major ally and Soviet Union satellite country (Ukraine) to the West.

Saddam is gone (Russia didn’t help
That ally).
Gaddafi is gone (Russia didn’t help that ally).
Ukraine is gone (half *** effort by Russia to save it)
Arabs are aligned with US so Russia has no in roads there.

Outside of poor Syria and crumbling Venezuela, NO ONE likes Russia.

China expanded its power, but doesn’t throw Pakistan under the bus to achieve a quick concession from the West. Because China like Iran thinks decades ahead not months like the Russians. China is a real global power and not some spurned Whore who is desperate to Get their former lover’s attention and respect.

Russia will pay for its actions across history and not one country will lift a finger to help it.

At the end of the day Russia envies Iran as a rising power both in competing spaces (natural gas) and military/influence. Iran has allies and deep relationships across the Middle East, something Russia cannot even do in Europe in its own backyard.

Russia has no allies no friends, hell US bombed 300 Russian mercenaries and Russia agreed with the US! This is a bi ghayrat country.

Anyone who supports Russia is a Vatan foroosh and no different than the likes of Rouhani and Co who think by groveling and capitulating to the US they can be accepted by the West.

That seems to be just fake news...Iran didn't even asked for S-400,...no news reported that story and that source brings tons of such claims every day...I saw many claims Russia didn't even received request,and there is no logic...Russia offered Iran S-400 already...these days there is tons is media B.S ...seems they try to make division between Iran and Russia,they see maybe opportunity ,but Iran and Russia are aware to what level their cooperation goes,they are not strategic ally but they share some strategic interest and they learn how to work together where they can...

That seems to be just fake news...Iran didn't even asked for S-400,...no news reported that story and that source brings tons of such claims every day...I saw many claims Russia didn't even received request,and there is no logic...Russia offered Iran S-400 already...these days there is tons is media B.S ...seems they try to make division between Iran and Russia,they see maybe opportunity ,but Iran and Russia are aware to what level their cooperation goes,they are not strategic ally but they share some strategic interest and they learn how to work together where they can...
this is in the track of the same series of events like trump dispatching B-52, carrier, 250,000 soldier, EMP missiles and etc. these are psychological warfare, they want to show that iran's air defence is weak.

3rd hkordad tracking radar vs buk m-2:

As i remember;the Russian government has recomended Iran to deliver S-400 instead of S-300;but we said as americans wanted to ban us buying it;we just want S-300.

Russia offered S-400 in 2015, but in this case, Iran had to stand in line after China and wait at least 3-4 years before the start of the deliveries. China signed a contract for S-400 in 2014, but began to receive first S-400 only in 2018.
However from frozen Syrian order in Russian remained launchers and some other elements of S-300PMU-2. Therefore, as i understand, Russia and Iran have agreed that Russian side on this basis will make an upgraded version specifically for Iran. This allowed to supply this upgraded S-300PMU-2 SAM systems to Iran in 2016.

Russia offered S-400 in 2015, but in this case, Iran had to stand in line after China and wait at least 3-4 years before the start of the deliveries. China signed a contract for S-400 in 2014, but began to receive first S-400 only in 2018.
However from frozen Syrian order in Russian remained launchers and some other elements of S-300PMU-2. Therefore, as i understand, Russia and Iran have agreed that Russian side on this basis will make an upgraded version specifically for Iran. This allowed to supply this upgraded S-300PMU-2 SAM systems to Iran in 2016.
Thank you for your clarification.

Exactly, the S-400 was a stalling tactic by Russia.

If Iran had agreed they would be STILL be waiting for the shipments. Under this US administration they would pressure Russia to not deliver them and the whole cycle would have started all over again.

Iran thought strategically.

Russia is not reliable arms dealer especially when it comes to power shifting arms (Fighter jets, submarines, Air defense systems, etc).

Russia doesn’t want to make US, Israel, and the Arabs upset. If you were Iran, would you want to buy arms from such an unreliable source?

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom