What's new

Iranian Air Defense Systems

TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Iran’s Defense Ministry on Sunday unveiled a sophisticated air defense system capable of hitting several targets with homegrown ‘Sayyad-3’ missiles.

13980319000251_Test_NewPhotoFree.jpg

In a ceremony in Tehran, Defense Minister Brigadier General Amir Hatami unveiled the homegrown air defense system, dubbed ‘Khordad 15th’.

Developed by the Defense Ministry’s experts, it was formally delivered to the Air Defense Force of the Iranian Army.

In comments at the event, Brigadier General Amir Hatami said the new air defense system has been paired with the ‘Sayyad-3’ long-range missiles and is capable of detecting various targets, including warplanes and intruding drones, within a range of 150 kilometers and tracking them at a range of 120 kilometers.

According to the minister, the Khordad 15th system can also detect stealth targets within a range of 85 kilometers and hit them in a range of 45 kilometers.

It is capable of intercepting 6 targets simultaneously, the minister said, adding that its ease of mobility would allow servicemen to prepare the air defense system for engagement in less than 5 minutes.

The general said that the air defense system is equipped with a phased array radar and independent launch pads and can effectively take action against various aerial targets, such as reconnaissance aircraft, bombers and tactical warplanes.

The minister went on to say that the Khordad 15th can be operated for shooting down targets at a maximum height of 27 kilometers and within a range of 75 kilometers.

Iranian military experts and technicians have in recent years made great headways in manufacturing a broad range of indigenous equipment, making the armed forces self-sufficient in the defense sphere.

Iran maintains that its military might poses no threat to regional countries, stressing that the Islamic Republic’s defense doctrine is entirely based on deterrence.

https://www.tasnimnews.com/en/news/2019/06/09/2028057/iran-unveils-new-air-defense-missile-system

Interesting note: this Najm heritage radars like the 15th Khordad Navid are not like similar S-band AESAs like that of the Iron Dome. They use much cheaper to produce TRMs.
To achieve the necessary performance of the almost double size Najm-802, it uses extensive cooling. Look at those flexible coolant pipes and large heat exchangers at the rear.

This allows higher power levels of lower rated TRMs. That's the key to being able to acquire them in the necessary numbers.

Last edited:
Interesting note: this Najm heritage radars like the 15th Khordad Navid are not like similar S-band AESAs like that of the Iron Dome. They use much cheaper to produce TRMs.
To achieve the necessary performance of the almost double size Najm-802, it uses extensive cooling. Look at those flexible coolant pipes and large heat exchangers at the rear.

This allows higher power levels of lower rates Terms. That's the key to being able to acquire then in the necessary numbers.

I wonder what defends the radar against anti radiation missiles and SDM at reduced costs. We have some candidates but I wonder if any are chosen to take that role as part of 15th Khordad.

What I wonder is I only see tracking Radar that can track and engage 6 target , what about a radar to detect the targets and for example detect 180 different target something like 76N6 or 64N6 or 96L6E ?
without that type of radars that can detect 100s of target, the system won't have that much practical use in case of war

What I wonder is I only see tracking Radar that can track and engage 6 target , what about a radar to detect the targets and for example detect 180 different target something like 76N6 or 64N6 or 96L6E ?
without that type of radars that can detect 100s of target, the system won't have that much practical use in case of war
Let me know when you are ready to learn -- why and why not. :enjoy:

You are referring to acquisition radar vs engagement radar

Acquisition radar does not need to accompany a medium range SAM system.
Long range Acquisition radar finds targets relays to command/control post Who analyzes relays it to the engagement radars and batteries near target.

Only 6 targets!.Jesus!:o:,that only puts it at around early 1990s pmu1 level in terms of the numbers of targets it can engage at any one time.I hope it can at least engage each target with 2 missiles like the pmu1 does,that would at least substantially increase the kill probability against the 6 targets at any rate.
Personally I hope that somebodies just been misquoted on this figure,if its true then irans either going to have to build a lot of these or procure a lot more bavars and raads to make up for the performance shortfall with this system.
I wonder if its got any secondary abm capabilities?

Only 6 targets!.Jesus!:o:,that only puts it at around early 1990s pmu1 level in terms of the numbers of targets it can engage at any one time.I hope it can at least engage each target with 2 missiles like the pmu1 does,that would at least substantially increase the kill probability against the 6 targets at any rate.
Personally I hope that somebodies just been misquoted on this figure,if its true then irans either going to have to build a lot of these or procure a lot more bavars and raads to make up for the performance shortfall with this system.
I wonder if its got any secondary abm capabilities?

First get your facts straight.

S-300PMU2 can engage 6 targets at once (12 missiles total - 2 per target).

Patriot system can track 9 outbound Patriot missiles.

This system can do 6 targets (unknown how many missiles total given system was shown of with two launchers max might be 8 missiles)

So it really depends what engagement radar this system is paired with.

I’d say the stats are suitable and in line with modern Air defense systems.

Iran test of ‘Khordad 15th’ air defense system & delivery to Army Khatam al-Anbia Air defence base

https://tn.ai/2028057

Long live the brains and muscle behind steadfast growth and military innovation in the face of 40 years of cruel and inhumane sanctions. The Iranian willpower is mighty, and throughout history has stood its ground against those who have wished for its demise.

The good thing about 15th of Khurdad, 3rd of khurdad and Tabas and many other Iranian air defenses is that They can move in secret without attracting attentions.
They can turn to any other trucks in Iran road by light chador on them.

Just compare that with S-300 movements in Iran which always appear on social medias.

This is multi purpose engagement radar with integrated FCS,early warning,search and acquisition radar are dedicated systems you can integrate with different kind of air defense systems....So you have Kasta 2E for example,it is used with BUK,TOR...and many other as search and acquisition radar...In other words,you can used any radar for that...but for this system they will use something with greater range...AD work like this....You have early warning and search radar scan 360 degree in azimuth... Than when target is detected, they alert fire position and provide azimuth,velocity, speed...etc to them so they can direct engagement radar which will than be turned on in sector mode and after it detect target,they will lock on and fire...This can all be set in auto mode,in integrated network ...You use different radars for search and target data acquisition.... Engagement sector radars are much powerful than search and acquisition radars but they have narrow wave snop...any way,there are multipurpose radars capable for more than one role,but you want to have many different radars in system...

This is multi purpose engagement radar with integrated FCS,early warning,search and acquisition radar are dedicated systems you can integrate with different kind of air defense systems....So you have Kasta 2E for example,it is used with BUK,TOR...and many other as search and acquisition radar...In other words,you can used any radar for that...but for this system they will use something with greater range...AD work like this....You have early warning and search radar scan 360 degree in azimuth... Than when target is detected, they alert fire position and provide azimuth,velocity, speed...etc to them so they can direct engagement radar which will than be turned on in sector mode and after it detect target,they will lock on and fire...This can all be set in auto mode,in integrated network ...You use different radars for search and target data acquisition.... Engagement sector radars are much powerful than search and acquisition radars but they have narrow wave snop...any way,there are multipurpose radars capable for more than one role,but you want to have many different radars in system...
So,basically Iran has bunch of different radars, truth is I don't know country with so many different radars in inventory... They will probably integrate these in to existing AD network...,they can use any existing radars in combination with these system. Any way engagement 6 target in same time is very good actuality, and that is 6 targets per one system.Buk can engage 4 per system,S-300PMU1 can 6 also but you can add multiple systems.. In fact that is how SAMs are deployed... In batteries, puk,battalion, brigade,divisions....etc

Back
Top Bottom