What's new

Iran: Purchase of Russian Su-30 fighters on agenda

An Iranian official has announced the allocation of $2.5 billion more for the country's military to increase what it terms the country's "military capabilities."

Ali Asghar Yousefnejad, a member of Iranian Parliament and the spokesperson for Iran's special parliamentary committee that deals with the country's budget, told the country's official news agency IRNA on Tuesday that the $2.5 billion is in addition to what the military will receive once the fiscal year begins in March.

The country's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has reportedly approved the increase in military spending.

The additional money comes from Iranian National Development Fund (INDF), a developmental fund established in 2011 that reserves a portion of the country's gas and oil revenues and spends it on projects that the government deems necessary.

Source: voanews (can't save link yet)

Iranian source (though in Farsi).

https://www.mehrnews.com/news/4208314/لاریجانی-موافقت-رهبر-انقلاب-با-برداشت-از-صندوق-توسعه-را-اعلام

209585_501.jpg
Compare these aircraft to modern day fighters.

Compare these aircraft to modern day fighters.
Well if you compare any modern aircraft with F14 you will fimd out that f14 outperform any of them in any aspect few times.....having modern aircraft and having combat capable airforce is not same thing.
Actualy air force capability depends on many things and modern aircraft is not maybe 4th thing on list ....except if you have really outperformed aircrafts.
Most important things for airforce are
1.high number of planes mission read
2.logistic sućport(ground support,refueling,many airports..etc)
3.trained pilots(one of the most important thing)
In defansive positions it is even more easier to compensate technology...thus air defense is one more factor
IRAN indeed needs rebuild its air force but that doesnt mean they are weak now in terms of combat capability....if you explore little you will find out that most expert consider IRIAF more capable than many air forces with more and newer aircrafts.
Main problem for this IRIAF is maintaince...it is few times more expensive to maintain so many different airvrafts and technologies than it could be...also older aircrafts are also more expensive to keep them ready to combat and also require investments in upgrades and I didnt even mention security for pilots.But even despite all of this Iran has corectly invest money in other pririorities like air defense,missiles,navy..etc...simple because if they invested all that money ..even twice as that in air force...well Iran would been probably attacked long time ago....They were in very hard ćosition for more than 35 years and they can do best they could to detter any atrack.
And if we want we could probably find reasons to tell they could do this or that better but on scale it doesnt look bad.
Now I dont want to talk about Iranian internal politics simple because I am not from Iran ..that is something I leave to Iranian people....

Last edited:
And what do you have compared to these joker?
How rude are you?. F14 is so old no one uses it. It's irrelevant. Mug 29 of the Iraqi airforce are useless. And you need to wake up grow up and learn some manners.
Next time name calling will result in the same or worse back. I didn't abuse you at all and you have started this. So later don't complain to the mods.
Best if you behave in the same way as I am with you.

Well if you compare any modern aircraft with F14 you will fimd out that f14 outperform any of them in any aspect few times.....having modern aircraft and having combat capable airforce is not same thing.
Actualy air force capability depends on many things and modern aircraft is not maybe 4th thing on list ....except if you have really outperformed aircrafts.
Most important things for airforce are
1.high number of planes mission read
2.logistic sućport(ground support,refueling,many airports..etc)
3.trained pilots(one of the most important thing)
In defansive positions it is even more easier to compensate technology...thus air defense is one more factor
IRAN indeed needs rebuild its air force but that doesnt mean they are weak now in terms of combat capability....if you explore little you will find out that most expert consider IRIAF more capable than many air forces with more and newer aircrafts.
Main problem for this IRIAF is maintaince...it is few times more expensive to maintain so many different airvrafts and technologies than it could be...also older aircrafts are also more expensive to keep them ready to combat and also require investments in upgrades and I didnt even mention security for pilots.But even despite all of this Iran has corectly invest money in other pririorities like air defense,missiles,navy..etc...simple because if they invested all that money ..even twice as that in air force...well Iran would been probably attacked long time ago....They were in very hard ćosition for more than 35 years and they can do best they could to detter any atrack.
And if we want we could probably find reasons to tell they could do this or that better but on scale it doesnt look bad.
Now I dont want to talk about Iranian internal politics simple because I am not from Iran ..that is something I leave to Iranian people....

I would like to see Iran acquire modern fighters or develop its own in conjunction with other countries. They have neglected the airforce far too much. The old saying of he who holds the high ground controls teh battke field still holds true. If you can't control the space above your troops they will die unnecessarily.
Anyways we can only hope.

How rude are you?. F14 is so old no one uses it. It's irrelevant. Mug 29 of the Iraqi airforce are useless. And you need to wake up grow up and learn some manners.
Next time name calling will result in the same or worse back. I didn't abuse you at all and you have started this. So later don't complain to the mods.
Well I will provide you proof that F-14 out perform almost every modern aircraft and F-14 is not retired because too old..and no one use it because no one could buy it except Iran and maybe Israel.

For example vs J-10
The F-14 can track up to 24 targets and attack 6 in same time while continuing to scan the airspace using track while scan mode ,AWG9 is even today one of the most powerfull radar... it offer few working mode like long-range continuous-wave radar velocity search, range-while-search for shorter ranges....etc
Radar range is almost 400Km and it can lock on almost at 200km ,evenAIM7 and AIM9 have better range and lock n performance on F-14 than on F-15 or F-4.
Speed mach 2.35
J-10 can track 10 targets simultaneously and attacking 4 of them , Estimated maximum detection range is 100 km
Speed Mach 2.2

Even in US still there is discussion is F-14 retirement good choice...they can't get even close to F-14 perfomace with anything...I really don't understand how people weight aircraft perfomance...maybe they thing to fire multi funcional LCD on enemy or nice green buttons...reality my friend is that F-14 is so advanced in his time that even today it is one of the best combat aircrafts...fact is that it can lock on anything even before enemy detect it..why do you think US has allocated f-22 ...fighter that was intended only to defend US teritory at first...well probably because they can fire on enemy from international watters while these are prepare to take off on air fields.
When it comes to Russian aircrafts ,well MIG 29 mostly performed bad because of few reasons.
1.These countries were destroyed long before war started,second every of those countries implemented Soviet doctrine while in same time dind't have logistic to implement it....fact is that every air force depend on ground support or in case of navy it is fleet support and awacs....you can't go in to fight blind.....while enemy sees 1000km in 360 azimuth...in this situation they will navigate their force to get above your aircraft and you will not see it ..they can use it even mig-19 and you can have su-35 ..if they know your postion and indentifiy aircraft they will provide route to their pilot so he can approach without been seen
...second pilots of these migs were not even close to any decent number of flight hours....aircrafts were in bad shape and thus downgraded B versions and those countries didn't have anything close to integrated air defence...again air force can't operate without support even if you have bunch of Raptors or SU-35 ...it is simple
Iran has only few of these mig 29b from Iraq...rest of MIG 29 are from soviet air force not export B versions...Iranian pilots are well trained,also they maintain and upgrade fleet ,they conduct drills every few mounths....and most important Iran can support it's air force which is far most important thing.

I would like to see Iran acquire modern fighters or develop its own in conjunction with other countries. They have neglected the airforce far too much. The old saying of he who holds the high ground controls teh battke field still holds true. If you can't control the space above your troops they will die unnecessarily.
Well I would like to see new birds in IRIAF same as you ...you have to understand Iran don't want to have war in Iran at all...and air force is not and will never be deterant except you have strategic force..it is simple ,so before they can build air force they first have to make sure no one will destroy that air force while they building it,that is why they invested in Missile that should provide them ability to react very fast,they invested in air defense that should provide them effective air defense for money they could afford,they invest in naval capatibilities to detter fifth fleet(also can't be done by air force..at least not fast and cheap)they invest in proxies to make sure they can influence regionaly..etc
Iran had very limited options when it comes defense they couldn't just order 250 modern aircrafts and developing such aircraft would cost amount of money that Iran spend on defense for 10 or more years..and that is just to develop..without production....(congratulation you have 1 protoype and you country has bankrupted..this is sarcastic of course but you know what I mean) .Even before sanctions only one could provide proper replacement were Russians and they were always calculate when it comes Iran and would not provide anything that would change balance of power...only in last few years Russi and Iran became more closely but even now Russians are calculating
Now IRIAF in the past was maybe neglected and they could maybe invest more ,I will not go in to this since maybe this could be even due lack of trust...but now after they sow in Syria what air force can do and how it can turn completly situation on the ground I think IRIAF will be first thing that will be modernized after sanctions are lifted.
I'm just saying that this asymetric doctrine has proven as far better than trying to compete with US navy and air force(thus Israel and all GCC air forcces) and again Iran air force is still highly capable and thus have support of air defense...but maintaining this capatibility will be much cheaper and easier after modernization thus lives of pilots will be much safer

Last edited:
You GTFO of here. Not only are you a joker but an ignorant one at that. Your AF too flies 45 year old Mirage III/ V's and 35 year old F-7's or 30 year old Block-15 F-16A's.

It's not like you flying the Su-35 or the F-35 or the Typhoon. GTFO.....

You GTFO of here. Not only are you a joker but an ignorant one at that. Your AF too flies 45 year old Mirage III/ V's and 35 year old F-7's or 30 year old Block-15 F-16A's.

It's not like you flying the Su-35 or the F-35 or the Typhoon. GTFO.....
Lack of education and idiotic person like you will always give Iran a bad name.
Thanks fully I know many Iranians and they understand that genetic crap of Iran like you will always think low of yourselves.
I am joker....look at your avtar picture. That's the real joke and frankly you behave like the image and have the intellect of a jahil. Have a nice day. Donkey will always be a donkey even when he is given access to the internet.
You have made the ignore list so anything you type I don't see.

You looney tunes, the IRIAF today flies over:

50 operational F-14A's with Aim-54A and Aim-7E/ Aim9P capability. They can take out anything your PAF fields from 124 miles out you joker.

50 plus Mig-29 9-12's with IRST cued R-73's plus R-27T/E capable of engaging out to 50 miles.

90 plus F-4E/D's all Maverick/ Aim-7 and Aim-9 capable.

45 Mirage F-1's.....all operational

35 Su-24 MK fencers all upgraded by Russia years ago.

and 100 plus F-5E Tiger II's.

Iran has more than 10 years of combat experience with BVR missiles, SEAD, ECM systems and smart weaponry from the time when you were flying the F-86 and Chinese F-6, you joker.......lol Sounds like you know fvck all about the IRIAF.

Lack of education and idiotic person like you will always give Iran a bad name.
Thanks fully I know many Iranians and they understand that genetic crap of Iran like you will always think low of yourselves.
I am joker....look at your avtar picture. That's the real joke and frankly you behave like the image and have the intellect of a jahil. Have a nice day. Donkey will always be a donkey even when he is given access to the internet.
You have made the ignore list so anything you type I don't see.

Image1517068173.495015.jpg

Allah huma Salah Alla Muhammad va ala alleha Muhammad

I think the reason why Iran is interested in SU-30 is that, the fighter is the best choice for a great sea-surface patrolling task. In the meantime due to having something similar to Mig-31 fighters (F-14 Tomcats), it can meet Iran's requirements in huge number at least 150 and 300 at maximum number. Also in dog-fight, long-range air-combat missions,

Amazingly, SU-30sm is the most expensive fighter among Russian 4th generation fighter jets

That would be the Su-35.
Maybe but i think that Two seat fighter jets are more expensive in terms of training, maintenance and the cost of flights. The cost of An hour of SU-30 flight should be more than SU-35.

SU-30sm is the best for Iran in all terms, i guess

Maybe but i think that Two seat fighter jets are more expensive in terms of training, maintenance and the cost of flights. The cost of An hour of SU-30 flight should be more than SU-35.

SU-30sm is the best for Iran in all terms, i guess
I still wonder two seat fighter , its not a strategic bomber that fly several hour . it want to fly at most 1 hour each time and the modern avionic is supposed to do must of the calculation and hard work so why two pilot per plane and not an airplane with one pilot .

Back
Top Bottom