What's new

Iran, India eye deepwater gas pipeline

Yogi

Reaction score
Country
India
Iran, India eye deepwater gas pipeline

339621_South-Pars.jpg

Iran has generally agreed to deliver natural gas to Asia’s top energy consumer India through a deepwater pipeline crossing the Sea of Oman, an Iranian official says.

“Negotiations were held with three Indian companies for [their] purchase of gas from Iran, and general agreements have been reached,” Ali Amirani, director of marketing at National Iranian Gas Exports Company (NIGEC), said.

He added that Iran and India are expected to start talks about gas sales and pricing after the finalization of the agreements in a months’ time.

Amirani stated that India’s South Asia Gas Enterprise Pvt. Ltd. (SAGE) has conducted feasibility studies for the planned 1,400-kilometer pipeline, which is estimated to cost USD 4-5 billion and would carry 31 million cubic meters (mcm) per day of gas to India.

The envisaged pipeline will pump gas from Iran’s gigantic South Pars gas field. South Pars covers an area of 9,700 square kilometers, 3,700 square kilometers of which are in Iran's territorial waters in the Persian Gulf. The remaining 6,000 square kilometers, i.e. North Dome, are in Qatar's territorial waters.

India is among Asia’s major importers of energy and relies on Iran to meet a portion of its energy demands. Iran was the second-largest supplier of India’s crude oil before illegal US-led sanctions were imposed on Tehran about two years ago. India’s oil shipments from Iran are estimated to rise to 4 million tons in the current fiscal year.

PressTV - Iran, India eye deepwater gas pipeline

Last edited:
SAGE Pipeline Infrastructure plans to transports 8 TCF of Natural Gas over the next 20 years from the Gulf Region to the coast of India using the Deep-sea route.

The Pipeline, passing through the Arabian Sea will reach depths of 3,400 meters under
the sea and will have a length of approximately 1,300 kilometers.

The base case originates in Oman at the Middle East Compression Station (MECS) and ends in India at the Gujarat Pipeline Receiving Terminal(GPRT).

The Option to locate an Offshore Gas Compression Station (OGCS) about 300 km from the Omani Coast, on top of the Qualhat Seamount (Murray Ridge) is also being considered. At this location, the depth of the water is reduced to approximately 300 meters.

SAGE Pipeline - Pipeline Construction Projects, Project Overview

Such project will go a long way in securing India's energy needs.:)

Long Live India-Iran Friendship:cheers:

Last edited:
excellent news, this is what we are waiting for. We were asking India for long time to make such deal with iran, now we will extend that pipeline from india to Bangladesh and make Iran-Indian-Bangladesh pipeline.

excellent news, this is what we are waiting for. We were asking India for long time to make such deal with iran, now we will extend that pipeline from india to Bangladesh and make Iran-Indian-Bangladesh pipeline.

Actually Myanmar BD pipeline would be more economical ! This one simply is too long and susceptible to damage!

we want both, because we do not want to depend on one country and our demand is big.

I support the pipeline! I simply believe "some" members here don start crying hoarse when India demands transit charges :P and if there was any qty decrease, India, any leak, India (If u know what I mean) ;)

I support the pipeline! I simply believe "some" members here don start crying hoarse when India demands transit charges :P and if there was any qty decrease, India, any leak, India (If u know what I mean) ;)

no transit till water and land agreement :oops:

no transit till water and land agreement :oops:

He's referring to the transit charges for the gas which you will have to pay if the the Iran-India pipeline was to be extended to BD, not transit through BD. The latter is fast becoming relatively irrelevant thanks to the Burmese and Kaladan.

Going to be a costly affair though. Land pipeline via Pakistan would have been ideal. Then again... good that an alternate option is on the table.

Going to be a costly affair though. Land pipeline via Pakistan would have been ideal. Then again... good that an alternate option is on the table.

You would be surprised, the costs associated with the respective proposals are not so different.

That's actually a good news. If India can take some pressure from Uncle Sam (and i know they can take it) than it can open many many ways to the regional cooperation. Entire region can get immense benefits from a single step like that. India needs energy for its economy, Pakistan needs it badly, taking such step from India can give Pakistan a good chance to complete its gas pipeline project without facing any undue pressure from US. Plus India can also consider to have gas pipeline through a land route from Iran in the near future too....!

You would be surprised, the costs associated with the respective proposals are not so different.

I'm surprised. Reason being... there was so much hype around IPI pipeline & that India was a party to it initially. Reason given to pull out of the deal (not really sure how authentic though) was that Pakistan was in no way prepared to guarantee the protection of pipeline passing through it's borders to India.

If this option of deepwater pipeline was available to us at no extra cost, why we weren't exploring it to start with?

Its not just Iran-India pipeline rather its Middle East to India pipeline.

More over 3 pipelines r supposed to be layed between Oman n India n will be further connected many Gulf countries like Qatar, Iraq, Iran, etc.

Besides its a Private Project(by a Delhi based group) n not GOI sponsored, which will allow any Gulf seller to sell Gas to any Indian Buyer who is ready to pay transit fee.:)

That's actually a good news. If India can take some pressure from Uncle Sam (and i know they can take it) than it can open many many ways to the regional cooperation. Entire region can get immense benefits from a single step like that. India needs energy for its economy, Pakistan needs it badly, taking such step from India can give Pakistan a good chance to complete its gas pipeline project without facing any undue pressure from US. Plus India can also consider to have gas pipeline through a land route from Iran in the near future too....!

IMO TAPI is a better option for Pak as Turkmenistan is ready to provide cheaper gas(due to US pressure) plus it could lay grounds for future cooperation between India, Pakistan n Afghanistan.:)

PS - as per latest developments Iran has refused to fund Pakistan's part of IP project.

Back
Top Bottom