What's new

Iran, India eye deepwater gas pipeline

Do not be so aggravated. In previous times Iran was heavily under sanctions and such a large investment in bilateral trade with Iran had no certain future.

There are more cons than pros to underwater pipelines when compared with land surface pipelines. The difficulty of laying, maintaining, and fixing the pipeline are just the starters.

However, anything, no matter how difficult, would be more feasible than a fuel pipeline that comes through Pakistan. The mood swings there are too unpredictable.

Despite all the talk in media and superficial support for TAPI as well as IPI, everyone with a capacity to think knew it very well that those plans would never come to fruition. Honestly, I do not understand how Pakistanis buy it and and go on to talk about IPI and TAPI some times.

Thats what I am saying...why didnt you guys come up with this idea before? why waste time and let prices go up ???

Thats what I am saying...why didnt you guys come up with this idea before? why waste time and let prices go up ???

Will quote the sentence once more, for you seem to have missed it.

In previous times Iran was heavily under sanctions and such a large investment in bilateral trade with Iran had no certain future.

To help explain it further - We are witnessing major thaw in the US-Iran relationship lately. It won't be surprising if it were found out that India played a crucial role in that. As Iran gradually comes out of sanctions, trade will become more reliable, and investments more secure. It was not possible earlier when Iran was reeling heavily under sanctions and maintaining trade with Iran was not everyone's cup of tea.

Now you see why the underwater pipeline option is being explored now, but was not earlier.

This news was reported quite a while back but with the recent warming of ties between the west and Iran it seems India has got its mojo back. Lets see how this pans out but we need to wait another 6 months before the 'proper' sanctions are lifted those that really have a impact on Indo-Iran trade ties.

Basically Iran is not reliable and dependable. Like Turkish members always tell us. Anyways this pipeline is still going from our territorial waters and i dont think pak will allow this anymore now as iran has once again chosen india over pak like it did before in kashmir.

Iranians are looking after their own interests. As they should be. If you think Iran sympathise with Pakistan because you wish for a Pan Muslim brotherhood is irrelevant.

If Iran deems it worth in their best interests with the Pakistanis, they would have supported you guys.

Besides, Iran's worst enemies are muslims themselves.

*cough* Saudi Arabia *cough*

Excuse me

If this pipeline is so feasible and underwater and bla bla and bypasses Pakistan... then why the hell india didnt think/implement it before..... why was India thinking about IPI at the first place when just 12 nautical miles is needed to bypass a country (seriously asking..no sarcasm at all)???

I think the devil lies in the details when they come up we will know..... And to further this argument why dont you guys also go for turkemanistan-Afghanistan(india friendly these days)-Iran-Sea-India pipeline as well....

Seriously speaking there must be some cons associated with a sea based pipeline ... otherwise the plan seems too sweet and simple to not to become reality long before!!!
I-I (India-Iran) gas pipe line plan is not new. Laying pipeline threw sea for thousands of kilometers was never a easy task for any country. Previously neither India had money nor technology to implement this plan.

Do not exclude the danger of Pakistani under water sabotage of the deep see pipeline. The reverse that India destroy their above ground pipeline reaching Pakistani border.

But if you allow Iran to own and operate the pipeline and negotiate a delivered gas price there is a possibility of success of this venture. India with aircraft carriers and nuclear submarines, stealth frigates would guard the pipeline on Iran's behalf.

Future negotiations would provide answeres to what is feasible and what is not feasible.

US participation or some sort of involvement is essential a quality build. Keep China out of it.

There are big international companies who specialize in laying underwater pipelines with special ships built for the purpose.

You are correct sir. As luck would have it i saw a program Extreme Engineering today and they showed how the job is done. i'm posting two videos for members who may want to know more.

So it is still using our territorial water??

Not sure. As i said in one my earlier posts, if someone wants an underwater pipeline, the only reason i can think of is that they want to avoid Pakistan territory (both land and terriorial waters) and that is why i'm guessing the plan (if correct) would avoid Pak waters.

U sure we will allow that to happen?

IMHO the best route is over the land passing through Pakistan. My logic is since Pakistan is assured to get revenue out of it, this will be a guarantee for the safety of project. we must remember that despite hot and cold relations between the two nations, trade has remained relatively unaffected. The same could be the case here.

Basically Iran is not reliable and dependable. Like Turkish members always tell us. Anyways this pipeline is still going from our territorial waters and i dont think pak will allow this anymore now as iran has once again chosen india over pak like it did before in kashmir.
well Iran could say the same about India when we supported US in UN against Iran. But my whole point is India is desperate for Gas and Oil and so far Iran (perhaps keeping in mind the old relations between two nations) has been pretty co-operative on the issue (payment in ruppee etc). Iran too needs to sell its Oil & gas and at the end of the day this mutually benefitial pact could help the project see light of day.

Coming to if Pakistan will allow or not. You see perhaps some years from now central asian countries would want to sell gas to India (we could be amongst the biggest consumers shortly, if we aren't one right now). Now here the only route that is available passes through Iran and Pakistan. Ultimately these projects not only help us but ensures a steady source of reveue to all concerned parties. & in my mind when governments discuss the issue, they might perhaps realize the same.

Back
Top Bottom