What's new

INS Vikrant, India's First Indigenous Aircraft Carrier, To Be Handed Over To Indian Navy In May

Okay first thing first : When faced with a knife, you don't bring knife to that battle. You bring a spear and hit your enemy from a little distance to take him out. Its that simple. When faced with a strong column of tanks, you use your attack helicopters to take them out. When faced with Aircraft carriers, you use long range supersonic and hypersonic missiles and anti ship ballistic missiles to deny them access.

Battle is fought with tactics. Chinese have been resisting American power for so long how do you think they did it? It was not a parity in their arsernal for most of the time. It was simply counters to what americans brought. India needs and is doing the same. You don't fight 10 carriers by building 11 carriers. You build 30 ASBM and a squad of 30 Su-30 MKIs each with a Brahmos ALCM finally few diesel electric boats with Klub missiles. Hit such an armada with these and watch them melt. Simple.

Asymmetry is the key to defence.

Man I don't know what u on abt,sorry abt that. Spear example only works if your enemy doesn't have spear of thier own.

yes asymmetry is applied by every single army in this world, Chinese will do the same.
Let's hope instead of relying on this, Navy buys more subs which r actual answer to carriers or any other threat in gud numbers. Tk

Man I don't know what u on abt,sorry abt that. Spear example only works if your enemy doesn't have spear of thier own.

yes asymmetry is applied by every single army in this world, Chinese will do the same.
Let's hope instead of relying on this, Navy buys more subs which r actual answer to carriers or any other threat in gud numbers. Tk
Sure Chinese will do the same if we go near their waters. As I said before, tactics. You choose your weapons to fit your tactical reality of war fighting not the other way round. There are no "only" or "true" counters. Battles are always situational. All choices are predicated to situation the battle is being fought. You fight where you are strong.

Look at Ukrainians. They have relatively cheaper anti tank missiles and they are destroying columns of Russia tanks with them. Again, tactics. Firing from roof tops, from ruins of buildings, from bushes.

As I said before, choosing (and not choosing) a weapon is situational. In my example of an enemy bringing spear and knife together will have trouble because he will have both his hands filled in fight. Again, you play to that weakness. Chinese did this for many decades with Americans.

Have you thought about the fact that many of the flag officers of the Indian Navy already have the experience of flight operations off a carrier? And that they do not need to find out first hand all the little details that the PLA N is exploring?
The only real aircraft carrier experience India has was the Majestic class carrier which they bought in 1957.

Then it rapidly went down hill after that.

The only real aircraft carrier experience India has was the Majestic class carrier which they bought in 1957.

Then it rapidly went down hill after that.
One more ignorant post. I have not even bothered to reply to these silly ones, perhaps after the simulation is over.

One more ignorant post. I have not even bothered to reply to these silly ones, perhaps after the simulation is over.
You only have to study the history of India’s aircraft carrier program and you will see what I mean.

INS Vikrant (1961 to 1997) - This was India first aircraft carrier. This was a brand new zero mileage aircraft carrier with catapult launch and has an angle deck which at that time was an advance design. It operated the Seahawk which at that time was a very successful aircraft carrier based fighter.

So it was fair to say this aircraft carrier capability was pretty much comparable with the best in the world at that timeframe ie 1960s and 70s. This was a good opportunity to learn and master aircraft carrier technologies.

However, did India master any of the aircraft carrier technology such as the catapult, the arrestor landing and the aircraft carrier based fighter ? No.

Then it got worst.

INS Viraat (1987 to 2020) – This is India’s second aircraft carrier. Now this was first launch in 1945 for the Royal Navy so it was launch even earlier than India’s first aircraft carrier INS Vikrant ! So what India got was a second hand, even older hand down aircraft carrier with a ski ramp instead of catapult launch. Its capability thus is even behind their earlier catapult launch carrier. So what ever catapult experience was lost.

Then it gets even worst.

INS Vikramaditya (2013) – This is India’s third aircraft carrier. Not only is this another second hand, hand down aircraft carrier, it’s not even an aircraft carrier but originally a helicopter carrier. It has no blast shield, it is small with its infrastructure located near the center and its elevators located in the center blocking landing operations. Only one elevator can fit the MIG29. Its bridge control room looks like something from the 1980s. It even did not have any air defense.

So today, after over 50 years of operating aircraft carriers, India do not have any catapult technology, no arrestor gear technology, no carrier based aircraft technology, even no carrier engine technology and have only have one modified helicopter carrier without any blueprint.

How many years we been operating carriers some people think it means nothing anyway good going what jets be flying on it

We are already in May. Are we going to see Vikrant operating by Indian Navy soon?

No...... But we have picture of the pilot

View attachment 841209

And this famous Indian pilot.

FNoCuywaUAE-d2K.jpg

Back
Top Bottom