What's new

INS Arihant : Updates & Discussion

After reading more about Arihant. The equivalent of US version of Arihand is USS Halibut built in 1959.. India is about 50 years behind the US in submarine technology .

Firstly,

You should Read Even More and Be Very Sure of your Info...Before Saying Something about a Machine that is Yet Behind the Doors and Mere speculations are made for the same ( That Applies to the "Sources where you read" more and more about Arihant.. regarding its Desgn, Weapons etc. )

YOU NEED TO IMPROVE ON DEDUCTION AND READING SKILLs .. Let me tell You WHY ..

#1. Indian Agencies Have NOT made any Public Announcement about the specs of the Boat , We dont know the reactor specs, the sonar specs, etc. etc.

If i say JXX is 50 Years behind PAKFA .... a sound Mind will certinaly Say... "You Need the Specs of Both Machines in Hand to Make a Suitable Comparision. How can You say JXX is 100 Years or 1000 Years Behind when u downt even know about the specs of a single bolt of that machine ! "

How Can u Compare Arihant to Ohio or Any Subamrine Class when u Know NOTING about it ?

#2. More Over, You Missed To Read THIS ::

July 31, 2009, (Sawf News) - Outgoing Russian ambassador, Vyacheslav Trubnikov, says India's recently launched nuclear powered submarine – INS Arihant – is an Akula class submarine.

In an interview published in the Business Standard Trubinikov is quoted as saying:

"I watched the launch of India's first nuclear submarine at Vishakapatnam on July 26, and do you know about the design of this submarine? It is the Akula."

"So where was the Indian submarine designed and built?" he was asked.

"Here in India!"
he responded.

Past analysis - based on the dimensions (112 m length, 10 m beam), displacement (6,000 tons) and reactor output (85 MWe) of Arihant – have led analysts to report that it is based on the Charlie II submarine that India leased from 1988-91.

Name: Akula
Operators: Soviet Navy Ensign Soviet Navy
Russian Navy Ensign Russian Navy
Preceded by: Sierra class
Succeeded by: Graney class, Severodvinsk Class (in development)
In service: 1986

So Mate, If Its an Akula its The Most Sophisticated SSN , In Operation Since 1985 , Outside US on Par with the Los Angeles Class.

You Will Agree that a Russian Ambassador Knows Far More Than You and Me about India and Her Relations, Which have Led to the Succes of Arihant.

This Also Breaks Your Myth That Arihant is 50 Years Behind in Technology.

Infact if Indeed it is the Akula, on contrary to your statement it might turn out to be BETTER than Chinese Subs in Its Class ! ; Ofcourse It will be PreMature to make any similar Conclusions until we get confirmed specs of the Boat.

Secondly,

As You Just Stated..

15-20 years behind the US. 15 years ago, the US had started inducting Ohio class subs. Are you saying that arihant is equivalent of an earlier Ohio class nuclear subs.

You Must be knowing... The Equivalent of SSBN Ohio Class Subs.... Russia Has the Borei and the Typhoon Class...

Just Like MKI is the F22 Raptor in South Asian Skies, YES, The INS Arihant is Equal to Ohio Class Sub in Asia.

Do Make a NOTE that Arihant is SSBN Not an SSN, which means No need to use the "Counter" ... This Sub DOES NOT HAVE TO FACE ANOTHER SUB .. ITs Role is to Be Hidden and Deliver NUkes.

The Sub will stay Dormant.. Silently and If ordered will Atack with the 3500 KM Range SLBM Agni III or the 1500 KM ( 500 Kg Payload ), Shaurya Quazi Ballistic Missile.

Since China/Pakistan Have No Typhoon , Arihant Doesnt Need to be Ohio.

Last edited:
What India need is an equivalent of Polaris A1 missiles and James Madison class nuclear subs. Arihant doesn't carry anything equivalent to a Polaris missiles. India also need to build its first George Washinton Class submarine. A real SLBM submarine carrying 12-16 missiles. As far as I see, Arihant only carry 4 missiles. In my estimation, this should be a test bed platform as no other P5 deploy anything that carrying only 4 missiles

We are 1000 years behind US/China if that makes you happy. So what's ur point it's not good. Ok we are fine with that, everyone is behind USA, we are not fighting them so how does it matter. A nation who is trying to build systems it has no knowledge of will be definetly behind developed nations. Do you know we are not a developed country and you are trying compare us to worlds most developed country. I feel you are out of mind and this is your regular job comparing India with USA. Even a kid of 1st grade will know comarision should happen in same class. This is not my habit to respond like this but this is your 1000th such stupid post.

jbond.. what are your qulifications to criticize my comments? If you do not like what I say, then come up with a response. Your childish attacks against me just show your immaturity. If you have not way of responding to my statement, you can keep quiet and stop making a fool our of yourself.

And you think your stupidity can have any logical reply. I have seen you moving thru numerous threads and showing your vast knowledge/expertise which BTW is nothing but a sheer display of stupidity.

Tell me how the comparision with US submarines were related to the topic. Did anybody made any claims that Arihant is better than so and so submaries? what was your urge to do the comparision? And if you have done the analysis would you care to post the details of that analysis so that others can answer you objectively? do you have the spec comparision details to back your claims? and if not then shut ur mouth up.

I'm not doing any comparason. All I'm saying is that Arihant is most likely a test bed than a series production sub.Such as USS Halibut that leads to Lafayette class nuclear subs.

I'm not doing any comparason. All I'm saying is that Arihant is most likely a test bed than a series production sub.Such as USS Halibut that leads to Lafayette class nuclear subs.

ok let it be clear ur assumption is wrong....not dont deluge us with ur silly assumptions...:cheers:

After reading more about Arihant. The equivalent of US version of Arihand is USS Halibut built in 1959.. India is about 50 years behind the US in submarine technology

n China is 100 years behind US and 50 years behind India....in subs.

Quite possibly you may be right..there have been media reports that Arihant would act as a technology test bed for all future SSN's ...India is also building 2 other SSN's which would help us consolidate our sub building skills....In a gist i agree with you , this would serve as a Demo vehicle (which still would be very capable), however the subs that will be built post Arihant class would be a real treat.....

After Arihant; What?

The launch of the S-2 is, no doubt, a most significant and encouraging demonstration of India's technological skills and managerial expertise. But much more than that, this vessel will provide a trials platform which will enable us to learn from our own experience, what no one is going to teach us; the arcane disciplines of SSBN operations and maintenance. The main beneficiaries of this experience will be two submarines which follow S-2. The S-3 and S-4 are planned to be built on the same baseline design as S-2, in order to consolidate shipbuilding expertise and industrial capabilities. They will therefore incorporate only those capability enhancements which can be accommodated within the same hull-form and supported by the same nuclear power-plant. Therefore it is the fourth submarine in this series the S-5, still a few years ahead, which should be an object of sharp focus for not just the IN but even more so, the DAE and DRDO. In a 50-60 year perspective, India should be looking at a standing force of 4-6 SSBNs; accompanied, if possible by a smaller force of nuclear attack submarines or SSNs. While we are well on the way to achieving mastery over many of the technologies involved, there are three key areas which would need special focus: The acquisition of propellant technology for producing underwater launched ballistic missiles of inter-continental range. The length and diameter of the missile will decide the dimensions of the SSBN. These SLBM's should preferably be capable of carrying 4-6 multiple independently-targetable re-entry vehicles (MIRV).

The indigenous design of a SSBN hull which will be able to accommodate a battery of 16-24 such SLBMs. The indigenous design of a nuclear propulsion plants of about 200 megawatt capacity, with a 6-8 years refueling cycle, to drive a SSBN of 10,000-12,000 tons at about 30 knots.

Having committed ourselves to fielding a credible deterrent in the form of a nuclear triad, we no longer have a choice but to go down this route at the earliest. This is one area where dependence on foreign sources, especially for hardware, must be minimised and autarchy aimed for. Once we acquire indigenous capability for design and production of naval reactors and LEU cores, as well as long range SLBMs, we would have achieved such autarchy.

Future Project Management

The PLA Navy sent its first (Han class) nuclear submarine to sea in 1974, and today the Chinese nuclear flotilla consists of 3-4 Xia and Jin class SSBNs as well as 5-6 Han and Shang class SSNs. Given that we are already 30 years behind China in this field, there is not a day to be lost in committing the necessary capital as well as human resources from the Navy, DAE and DRDO to commence design and development work.

This is going to be a complex, laborious and time consuming endeavour, and a period of even 10-15 years for attaining the capabilities listed above may be optimistic. So far, Russia has remained the main source of technology for us, but in the changing circumstances, we must not shy away from seeking advanced reactor technology from the US or France for our strategic programmes. There is no doubt that the DRDO-Navy synergy worked well during the developmental phase of the ATV. With the launch of S-2, this project now needs to transition rapidly and seamlessly from R&D mode to serial production mode. The time has therefore come to create a new management structure in which all the national capabilities created for the ATV (in the public as well as private sectors) can be brought under an umbrella corporation for serial production of nuclear submarines for the IN. Lifting the pall of secrecy will promote a better dialogue with operators and lead to design improvements.

20u3dzk.png

Could you please provide me the source of this article?

Most first SSBN are test beds. Its clear that no real SSBN are built with only 4 launch tubes.

but it will be carrying 12 sagarikas with a raange of 800 km ...... 3 in each tube ....as agni 3slbm still under dev !

Hi,

Eight water tight compartments that I see---is this sub a double hulled sub---is it based on or is it a copy of Akula11---or is it an Akula11 made in india.

If so---then pak has nothing to counter it in the submarine fleet. And if it carries the torpedoes that the russians have and the ecm suite and fire control----then india has taken the battle from under the deep to a newer and greater depth.

To sink a sub with a double hull and 8 water tight compartments---it would need a nuc tipped torpedoe to do the job.

Hi,

Eight water tight compartments that I see---is this sub a double hulled sub---is it based on or is it a copy of Akula11---or is it an Akula11 made in india.

If so---then pak has nothing to counter it in the submarine fleet. And if it carries the torpedoes that the russians have and the ecm suite and fire control----then india has taken the battle from under the deep to a newer and greater depth.

To sink a sub with a double hull and 8 water tight compartments---it would need a nuc tipped torpedoe to do the job.

This is Arihant class Sub, a different class Al together , Built Indigenously In India By BHEL,BARC, L&T & Audco India...

And We studied the charlie Class Subs from Soviet in the Mid 80's to make this A lot more easier

This is Arihant class Sub, a different class Al together , Built Indigenously In India By BHEL,BARC, L&T & Audco India...

And We studied the charlie Class Subs from Soviet in the Mid 80's to make this A lot more easier

Yes, But it seems the sub is influenced by Akula as well. as the Russian Ambassador Remarked quite Frankly.

Yes, But it seems the sub is influenced by Akula as well. as the Russian Ambassador Remarked quite Frankly.

Oh I see, I dint know it had Influence of Akula aswell, then this must be a lot better than expected...

Arihant is fail, seems like another Tejas project is coming our way... Sigh*
i think ur not a American..first please get ur fact right..dont be jealous..try to come up with good things..dont under-estimate anyone....

Back
Top Bottom