What's new

Indonesian radicals protest against a new incoming ethnic Chinese Jakarta governor

longyi

Reaction score
Country
United States
JAKARTA: Hundreds of Muslim hardliners on Wednesday (Sep 24) protested against the incoming governor of the Indonesian capital, labelling the Christian, ethnic Chinese politician an "infidel" and "the devil".

Basuki Tjahaja Purnama (鍾萬勰) will be Jakarta's first leader from the tiny ethnic Chinese minority of the world's most populous Muslim-majority country, and only the second Christian governor to lead the capital.

Known by his nickname Ahok, the 48-year-old is now deputy governor and is due to automatically become leader when the current governor, Joko Widodo, steps down in the coming weeks to be sworn in as president. Purnama's straight-talking, no-nonsense style and campaign for transparency in the graft-ridden nation has helped him win strong public support.

While many have hailed his rise as a sign of growing tolerance towards a minority that has traditionally faced discrimination in Indonesia, the country's small but vocal hardline fringe has taken issue with his appointment.

On Wednesday some 300 hardliners, mainly from the Islamic Defenders' Front (FPI), demonstrated outside Jakarta's local parliament, singing religious songs, citing verses from the Koran, and calling Purnama an "infidel", "the devil" and a "madman".

"Get out, get out. We will drag you out of Jakarta if you ever become our governor. Never let an infidel be our leader," a protester shouted from among the crowd, who were dressed in white outfits and Muslim skullcaps. Several representatives entered the building to meet local lawmakers and demand they reject the appointment of Purnama.

The incoming governor played down the protest, however, telling reporters: "They are only a small group who have yet to accept me. Everyone else has."

While the demonstration was largely peaceful, a woman motorcyclist who tried to force her way through the crowd was mobbed by some protesters before others helped her to safety.

The FPI has thousands of members and is known for threatening, intimidating and physically attacking Indonesians with almost complete impunity despite repeated calls for the government to ban the organisation. The group has succeeded in getting events it deems "un-Islamic" either cancelled or changed in the past. In 2012, pop sensation Lady Gaga axed a concert in Jakarta after protests led by the FPI.

Indonesian radicals protest against new Jakarta governor - Channel NewsAsia

Basuki Tjahaja Purnama (鍾萬勰), an ethnic Hakka Chinese (born June 29, 1966)
He is also known by his Hakka affectionate nickname, Ahok ( 阿勰).

Indonesia came a long way and I hope this bunch of radicals don't turn the clock back on her.

Why do some religious forces can not accept advanced civilization, not inclusive of other faith?

It is the rapid growth and modernization of other countries that make muslim get behind.
If go forward, Muslim was more tolerant than Jews and Christian...
Human history is full of killing, change over. Muslim is not bad in most of the time..
Only today with growing economy, human right focus, modernization, the world leave Muslim behind..

wo jue de ying gai xiao mie msl,shi ren lei fa zhan de zhang ai .

It is the rapid growth and modernization of other countries that make muslim get behind.
If go forward, Muslim was more tolerant than Jews and Christian...
Human history is full of killing, change over. Muslim is not bad in most of the time..
Only today with growing economy, human right focus, modernization, the world leave Muslim behind..
zong jiao yu zheng zhi hun he tai wei xian ,mou xie ji duan fen zi shi yao xiao mie suo you yi jiao tu .

Why so many fake Chinese flaggers recently?
shen me jia de ?

I know Vietminh is Boq77. what make you think hans is Boq77 also?

Intuition. I once talked to a Viet member in a not friendly but joking manner (not troll or insult, I said you should stop eating dogs), this guy asked me to respect that Vietnamese member, lol, ridiculous. Any normal Chinese would do that? I doubt.

:p:
Intuition. I once talked to a Viet member in a not friendly but joking manner (not troll or insult, I said you should stop eating dogs), this guy asked me to respect that Vietnamese member, lol, ridiculous. Any normal Chinese would do that? I doubt.
I should make another account called Chinese_Nice_Guy

we have a democracy institution worked here, as long as those radicals follow the rules they just will be watched by the authorities. You can find in so many news, Indonesia actually killing and purging more radicals Muslim than any country in South East Asia since our Independence day.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom