What's new

Indonesia Defence Forum

Lockheed Martin Awarded $77 Million Contract to Provide of Mobile Radars for Malaysia and Indonesia
June 15, 2020by admin

The U.S. Government will provide three Lockheed Martin long-range mobile radars to Malaysia and Indonesia, as revealed by a notice of contract action dated 9 June on the US government’s System for Award Management website. This effort is to acquire up to three transportable solid-state long-range surveillance radars. These radars must be capable of simultaneously performing air surveillance and maritime surveillance missions in the South East Asia Theatre.

The objective is to provide secure interoperable C3I (Command Control Communications and Intelligence) and Sensor systems supporting U.S. Joint Air Operations to US Government FMS (Foreign Military Sales) customers. These solutions provide partner nations with secure mission capability, able to interoperate both within sovereign space, and provide connectivity and interoperability with U.S. military support forces. This period of performance will be 48 months (4 years).

Lockheed Martin Awarded $77 Million Contract to Provide of Mobile Radars for Malaysia and Indonesia

https://militaryleak.com/2020/06/15...-of-mobile-radars-for-malaysia-and-indonesia/
Im not sure whats going on the diplomatic channel at this moment. But this radar news and the flotila fleet of chinese Nelayan that is guarded by chinese coast guard inside our EEZ seems too close to each other. Are we leaning towards US more that it makes the chinese unhappy? If only we are smart enough to play our cards and take advantage over both sides ...... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

What about the helicopter for the heavy frigate?
Panther (for commonality)? or something from the medium weight class?
How many unit for each ship?

Not the engine tho, which is a very important part of a jet fighter.

No hull mounted sonar, they need to deploy their vds every time.
well their mission and task(reformador) is for OPV anyway .

there should be a cutout in the back of the ship just below helicopter deck for CAPTAS deployment like this
POLA.png

ARM-Reformador-6.jpg

but it's non existant on our martadinata
59295759_2182232255195601_6874105392155066368_o.jpg

i guess our PKR would stay with bow mounted sonar + as565 panther HELRAS dipped sonar combination instead .
Punya mereka lebih panjang 2 m dari punya kita, apakah karena untuk mengakomodasi vds? Trus bagian belakangnya kan lebih miring gitu dibandingin punya kita yang relatif lebih vertikal.

Im not sure whats going on the diplomatic channel at this moment. But this radar news and the flotila fleet of chinese Nelayan that is guarded by chinese coast guard inside our EEZ seems too close to each other. Are we leaning towards US more that it makes the chinese unhappy? If only we are smart enough to play our cards and take advantage over both sides ...... :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Happy or unhappy china will always be a threat and menace...

there should be a cutout in the back of the ship just below helicopter deck for CAPTAS deployment like this
POLA.png

ARM-Reformador-6.jpg

i guess our PKR would stay with bow mounted sonar + as565 panther HELRAS dipped sonar combination instead .
Kinda weird and make me confused because back in 2018 Jane's mentioned that our Martadinata will use CAPTAS

https://defense-studies.blogspot.com/2018/04/indonesia-selects-electronic-anti.html?m=1
(I can't find the original source)

Besides the radar electronic warfare equipment, Jane’s has also received confirmation from an Indonesian industry source that the Martadanita frigates have been equipped with the CAPTAS-2/UMS 4229 variable depth sonar (VDS) from Thales. This is in addition to the Kingklip/UMS 4132 hull-mounted sonar from the same company.

And also from the Thales itself(?), I don't know if this is legit or not.
https://web.archive.org/web/20180809015245/http://www.thales7seas.com/html_2014/platform1880.html

[in addition]
IMG_20200616_131031_809.jpg

POLA.png

ARM-Reformador-6.jpg

Well Reformador Class probably the most advance version from SIGMA 10514 Class. How i wish we use Mk.41 VLS instead, with ESSM quadpacked SAM. We surely have kickass air defence.

Well Reformador Class probably the most advance version from SIGMA 10514 Class. How i wish we use Mk.41 VLS instead, with ESSM quadpacked SAM. We surely have kickass air defence.
Their sigma use mk 56, lets hope mk41 for the heavy frigate.

I love it when people don't realize that US equipment is generally quite cheaper than their EU counterparts and the only reason we don't buy from them as much is because EU deals are easier to corrupt then US deals so they use the smokescreen of "eMbARgO" to scare people into not wanting to buy from the US.

I love it when people don't realize that US equipment is generally quite cheaper than their EU counterparts and the only reason we don't buy from them as much is because EU deals are easier to corrupt then US deals so they use the smokescreen of "eMbARgO" to scare people into not wanting to buy from the US.

The hassle to bought US arms is come from their lenghty agreement and notification process (in which Trump put greater effort to simplify it), recently Indonesia lobby is quite sound within US, so there is not much barrier except those lenghty process when bought US arms, except you want to get them via commercial sales

Depends on the package, based on Qatar's recent purchase of their F-15QA, they bought 36 F-15's for $6.2 billion so that means each jet including support, equipment, training and armaments cost around $172 million. But keep in mind, this is the first time Qatar operated a US fighter so that means they have to establish all the necessary infrastructure and training to operate them. You could also look at the DSCA for Saudi's F-15SA purchase where each jet actually costs $200+ million but if you look at their DSCA list they basically bought a lot of spares, hundreds of armaments. I mean Saudi's DSCA list had them buying 84 jets but they also ended up buying 170 AESA radars as spares so thats why Saudi's price were a bit more expensive per jet.

So basically the price depends on the jet you buy (every variant can usually be different based on each country's requirement) as well as the amount of spares, equipment, weapons, training you buy

So to answer your question honestly even though this isn't entirely accurate, based on Qatar's purchase and Qatar's situation, $1.2 billion gets you 8 jets? But again, we're not Qatar or Saudi.

Reference:
Qatar F-15QA deal:
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017...s-62bn-contract-qatar-15-171223192108186.html
https://www.dsca.mil/major-arms-sales/government-qatar-f-15qa-aircraft-weapons-and-related-support
Saudi F-15SA deal:
https://www.dsca.mil/major-arms-sales/saudi-arabia-f-15sa-aircraft

To be honest, what we need to think about is not just the acquisition costs since Indonesia itself has rarely paid for big tickets up front, we mostly pay in credits. This is just my opinion, better to buy expensive now, but benefit from the lower operational costs, better efficiency and commonality in the longer term.

I wasn't really planning on looking too deeply into this, just a quick estimate of how many F-15s we can reasonably expect to get if we divert the budget for Su-35 to F-15s... Thanks for the references..!

However after looking into it I found some mistake in your cost assumption based on the article :
The value of the Qatar purchase for 36 F-15s is actually not USD 6,2B, but 12B... The 6,2B first mentioned in the article is only the amount awarded by the Pentagon to Boeing to manufacture the 36 F-15 airframes and is not the actual cost of the contract with Qatar.. and additionally, according to the DSCA article, the current purchase is actually part of an even larger purchase of up to 72 units for an estimated total value of USD 21,1B.. So the total cost for this initial batch of 36 units for a cost of 12B is quite correct.

So based on that, USD 12B/36 = ~333M / unit.. for a complete package..
If we take the Boeing contract cost it will be USD 6,2B/36 = ~172M / unit.. but note that this is for the airframe manufacturing cost only, not including anything else..

So with only 1,2B how much can we expect to get..?
If taking the Qatar complete package we will get : 1,2B/333M = 3,6 --> so between 3 or 4 units
If taking the Boeing manufacturing cost it will be : 1,2B/172M = 6,9 --> so between 6 or 7 units..

But there's no way we or anyone else (other than the US) can buy it on airframe manufacturing costs only... so what might be a reasonable package price for us...? The Qatar package cost seems split about 50:50 between the actual airframe cost (6,2B) and the rest of the project cost for support/infra/spares/training/etc (5,8B)..

So since we are not as cash rich as Qatar let's say we spend only half the cost on support (5,8B/2 = 2,9B).. it will then cost us about 6,2B + 2,9B = 9.1B ~ 9B... 9B/36 = 250M / unit.. so for 1,2B we will get 4,8 --> between 4 or 5 units..

But again we have to note that as in any other trade, the more the quantity we order, the cheaper the unit price we get... So the unit price for 36 units likely won't be the same for only 4 - 5 units.. so in the end, for USD 1,2B we will likely only get 3 or 4 units max...

Also do note that Qatar then spends an additional USD 1,1B for supporting services in a separate contract.. so for the 36 F-15s they have actually spent 12B + 1,1B = 13,1B ... almost certainly not affordable to us for now...

No it'll be a lot more than that. The reason being the F-15 shares a lot of commonality with the F-16 so we wouldn't need to build up that much new infrastructure. Look at Kuwait's SHornet order. 28 new jets that costs $1.5 billion. It's that low because they already operated the legacy Hornet and thus didn't need to build up new infrastructure.

Simply impossible for new F-15s... and I'm quite baffled why you would even compare it to an F-18 purchase in the first place...

could anybody confirm that this photo is new, not from our January standoff with china.????

https://jateng.tribunnews.com/2020/...al-coast-guard-china-di-utara-natuna?page=all

4243520792.jpg

Foto dirilis Selasa (9/6/2020), memperlihatkan Kapal Coast Guard China membayangi KRI Usman Harun-359 saat melaksanakan patroli di ZEE Indonesia Utara Pulau Natuna. Demi menjaga kedaulatan RI, TNI menerjunkan delapan KRI yang silih berganti mengamankan Perairan Natuna dari ancaman kapal asing yang ingin mengeruk kekayaan sumber daya perikanan di perbatasan Zona Ekonomi Eksklusif (ZEE) Indonesia tersebut.

Back
Top Bottom