What's new

Indonesia Defence Forum

This is just my opinion.
Isn't it better to propose F15ex with PW F100 to US to replace su35 deal instead of F35 for now?
I mean, F35 still have many bugs, its cost per flight hour still high, etc.
We can wait for F35.

How many F-15s will USD 1.2 Billion get us...?

This is just my opinion.
Isn't it better to propose F15ex with PW F100 to US to replace su35 deal instead of F35 for now?
I mean, F35 still have many bugs, its cost per flight hour still high, etc.
We can wait for F35.

2020-2030 timeframe is more suited if we want the Advanced F-15, but the F-35 is going to a lot more affordable after mid-2020's and especially beyond 2030's, if we want 5th gen we should work on it by then.

Neat comparison I found for reference, may not be entirely accurate:
F-15-f-35.jpg
F-15-f-35.jpg

More than 11...? If restored from AMARG stock perhaps...
For new build F-15s more likely 4 - 5 units at best...

This up to you for what you want to get, the package i mean. Arabs prices tend to inflated is because they tend to get ILS for decades use, along with foreign instructure and maintenance support units

How many F-15s will USD 1.2 Billion get us...?

Depends on the package, based on Qatar's recent purchase of their F-15QA, they bought 36 F-15's for $6.2 billion so that means each jet including support, equipment, training and armaments cost around $172 million. But keep in mind, this is the first time Qatar operated a US fighter so that means they have to establish all the necessary infrastructure and training to operate them. You could also look at the DSCA for Saudi's F-15SA purchase where each jet actually costs $200+ million but if you look at their DSCA list they basically bought a lot of spares, hundreds of armaments. I mean Saudi's DSCA list had them buying 84 jets but they also ended up buying 170 AESA radars as spares so thats why Saudi's price were a bit more expensive per jet.

So basically the price depends on the jet you buy (every variant can usually be different based on each country's requirement) as well as the amount of spares, equipment, weapons, training you buy

So to answer your question honestly even though this isn't entirely accurate, based on Qatar's purchase and Qatar's situation, $1.2 billion gets you 8 jets? But again, we're not Qatar or Saudi.

Reference:
Qatar F-15QA deal:
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017...s-62bn-contract-qatar-15-171223192108186.html
https://www.dsca.mil/major-arms-sales/government-qatar-f-15qa-aircraft-weapons-and-related-support
Saudi F-15SA deal:
https://www.dsca.mil/major-arms-sales/saudi-arabia-f-15sa-aircraft

To be honest, what we need to think about is not just the acquisition costs since Indonesia itself has rarely paid for big tickets up front, we mostly pay in credits. This is just my opinion, better to buy expensive now, but benefit from the lower operational costs, better efficiency and commonality in the longer term.

Last edited:
More than 11...? If restored from AMARG stock perhaps...
For new build F-15s more likely 4 - 5 units at best...
No it'll be a lot more than that. The reason being the F-15 shares a lot of commonality with the F-16 so we wouldn't need to build up that much new infrastructure. Look at Kuwait's SHornet order. 28 new jets that costs $1.5 billion. It's that low because they already operated the legacy Hornet and thus didn't need to build up new infrastructure.

Back
Top Bottom