What's new

Indonesia Defence Forum

https://jakartaglobe.id/news/indone...f2Z2gLQjOTt4BgumjCRA88cxdTkHqI5S7kT_KH8Px0zOo
upload_2020-6-16_16-57-21.png

While aircraft procurement takes years to materialize, a thorough audit on the weaponry system can start without delay to prevent future accidents, according to Willy Aditya, a lawmaker with the House of Representative's defense commission.

"An audit on our defense system is a matter of urgency right now. All defense equipment and system in the TNI, including military aircraft, must be reviewed to see if they are still compatible with current conditions. The double accidents in recent days must caution us all," Willy said.

"I think the House will approve an extra budget for the weaponry system if it comes out from a comprehensive audit, which should also involve investigations of recent accidents," he added.

Willy warned quite a number of Hawk jets and MI-17 helicopters – the type that crashed in Central Java on June 6 – are still in service. An audit is necessary to make sure if they are safe, or unsafe, to fly.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

should the auditing done by external party / contractor / agency , rather than TNI internal ? i think this way , the "sprout" of either corruption (if exist) will be revealed.

https://jakartaglobe.id/news/indone...f2Z2gLQjOTt4BgumjCRA88cxdTkHqI5S7kT_KH8Px0zOo
View attachment 642101

While aircraft procurement takes years to materialize, a thorough audit on the weaponry system can start without delay to prevent future accidents, according to Willy Aditya, a lawmaker with the House of Representative's defense commission.

"An audit on our defense system is a matter of urgency right now. All defense equipment and system in the TNI, including military aircraft, must be reviewed to see if they are still compatible with current conditions. The double accidents in recent days must caution us all," Willy said.

"I think the House will approve an extra budget for the weaponry system if it comes out from a comprehensive audit, which should also involve investigations of recent accidents," he added.

Willy warned quite a number of Hawk jets and MI-17 helicopters – the type that crashed in Central Java on June 6 – are still in service. An audit is necessary to make sure if they are safe, or unsafe, to fly.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

should the auditing done by external party / contractor / agency , rather than TNI internal ? i think this way , the "sprout" of either corruption (if exist) will be revealed.

I thought Indonesia replaced their aging Hawks with T-50 LIFT (lead in Fighter trainer). What does Indonesia still operate hawks?

I thought Indonesia replaced their aging Hawks with T-50 LIFT (lead in Fighter trainer). What does Indonesia still operate hawks?
The Hawk will still be around for quite a while, and the replacement is still not clear yet.
The priority is F5 replacement.
The F5 already grounded for years and the replacement is still nowhere to be seen, the drama still unfolding.

military_buzz_20200610_2.jpg

The plan is for 21 new LIFT for 2020 - 2024.

https://m.detik.com/finance/berita-...-tempur-hawk-209-luhut-rapat-bareng-prabowo/3

Seems Prabowo right now had a deep knowledge about the inner working of current admin, he is sought the prime minister advice before met the president
Maha patih. Well as long as he can do his job properly.

Last edited:
it's the plan , hawk replacement should be atleast FA-50 .

I think Indonesia has options if she could wait. Boeing/Saab T-7/A will be delivered from 2023. TAI Hurjet is not bad on spec sheets, but I doubt they are able to secure engines from RR. I think both trainer jets will come with more advanced avionics and radar.

The USAF is interested in applying modifications to Boeing/Saab T-7/A to make it a subtitute for A-10 as the US has to retire the A-10 jets soon or later, which means Boeing/Saab T-7/A will be very capable strike fighters with a strong focus on CAS missions where drones aren't practical to be deloyed. I'd bet they would integrate both AIM-120 AMRAAM and Harpoon.

I think Indonesia has options if she could wait. Boeing/Saab T-7/A will be delivered from 2023. TAI Hurjet is not bad on spec sheets, but I doubt they are able to secure engines from RR. I think both trainer jets will come with more advanced avionics and radar.

The USAF is interested in applying modifications to Boeing/Saab T-7/A to make it a subtitute for A-10 as the US has to retire the A-10 jets soon or later, which means Boeing/Saab T-7/A will be very capable strike fighters with a strong focus on CAS missions where drones aren't practical to be deloyed. I'd bet they would integrate both AIM-120 AMRAAM and Harpoon.
no just stick with fa/50....we have much experience already with the type.

The Hawk will still be around for quite a while, and the replacement is still not clear yet.
The priority is F5 replacement.
The F5 already grounded for years and the replacement is still nowhere to be seen, the drama still unfolding.

View attachment 642143
The plan is for 21 new LIFT for 2020 - 2024.

Maha patih.

Thank you for information. However, I thought Indonesia has already decided on replacing F-5 fleets with F-16V or KF-X/IF-X?

Thank you for information. However, I thought Indonesia has already decided on replacing F-5 fleets with F-16V or KF-X/IF-X?
according to the plan,
F-16V actually as replacement for Hawk 100/200, while 21 LIFT (Most likely T-50 series again) to add a new LIFT squadron and replacing 1 T-50 that previously crashed

Last edited:
We bought T50i from SK and if I am not wrong there is a plan to upgrade it to FA standard, but I never encounter any news about our T50i undergo upgrade in PT DI facility or in SK, not yet materialized or did I miss something? Or there is no such plan at all?

Indonesia T50i cockpit view.
In the video description, "6 T50i from Madiun".
You mean I thought Indonesia has already decided on replacing F-5 fleets with SU35, but now Indonesia is weighing down on choosing F16V or F35 if possible?
Told ya the drama is still unfolding.

However, I thought Indonesia has already decided on replacing F-5 fleets with F-16V or KF-X/IF-X?

We will never know...

according to the plan,
F-16V actually as replacement for Hawk 100/200, while 21 LIFT (Most likely T-50 series again) to add a new LIFT squadron and replacing 1 T-50 that previously crashed
The new squadron is needed to train up more pilots for the incoming fighters. More line fighters = more LIFT frames to train up pilots faster.

We will never know...

The new squadron is needed to train up more pilots for the incoming fighters. More line fighters = more LIFT frames to train up pilots faster.

It seems like Air Force around the world is suffering the same problem. A lot of talks, budget contrains and no actual results.

It seems like Air Force around the world is suffering the same problem. A lot of talks, budget contrains and no actual results.

The difference is the scale, budget constraint of US Air Force definitely different from Indonesia Air Force although they use the same words

Seems our neighbour down under had some difficulties with their own Hawk , especially the Turbomecca adour engine in which seems not so reliable

https://www.asiapacificdefensejournal.com/2020/06/australia-releases-rfi-for-potential.html?m=1

We bought T50i from SK and if I am not wrong there is a plan to upgrade it to FA standard, but I never encounter any news about our T50i undergo upgrade in PT DI facility or in SK, not yet materialized or did I miss something? Or there is no such plan at all?

Indonesia T50i cockpit view.
In the video description, "6 T50i from Madiun".

You mean I thought Indonesia has already decided on replacing F-5 fleets with SU35, but now Indonesia is weighing down on choosing F16V or F35 if possible?
Told ya the drama is still unfolding.

Due to high demand of BVR capabilities in ASEAN, the Korean government has laid out plans to equip FA-50 with AESA radar, sniper targeting pod and AIM-120 medium range missiles. Again, I don't think Indonesia needs to rush. Perhaps, South Korea may end up offering FA-20 Block 20 to both Indonesia and Malaysia in volumes to reduce the unit cost.

I understand. Like I said, too many speculations. Budget shortfall. No end results. Just like the virus, it seems like everyone is exposed to the problems.

The difference is the scale, budget constraint of US Air Force definitely different from Indonesia Air Force although they use the same words

Seems our neighbour down under had some difficulties with their own Hawk , especially the Turbomecca adour engine in which seems not so reliable

https://www.asiapacificdefensejournal.com/2020/06/australia-releases-rfi-for-potential.html?m=1

Correct. However, I am 100% sure that Australia will end up getting Boeing/Saab T-7/A for a replacement. RAAF won't consider any other candidate.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom