What's new

Indonesia Defence Forum

Jokowi needs powerful foreign minister
  • Kornelius Purba
    The Jakarta Post
Jakarta / Fri, July 19, 2019 / 07:59 am
2019_06_26_75275_1561562544._large.jpg
Retno Marsudi (The Jakarta Post/Ben Latuihamallo)
Due to his lack of attention to and interest in complex and long-term foreign affairs, and his strong preference for down-to-earth diplomacy, President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo needs to look for three traits in his future foreign minister.

First, he needs to have a powerful foreign minister who dares to “force” him to engage more intensively in regional and global affairs.

The ongoing trade war between the United States and China will likely continue, especially if US President Donald Trump wins reelection next year. Japan and South Korea are also embroiled in a trade war, albeit at a smaller scale. As those countries are Indonesia’s major trading partners, the implications of their disputes could be devastating for us. In the meantime, the European Union’s decision to phase out palm oil imports from Indonesia will pose another challenge.

Therefore, his minister should have deep knowledge, skills and experience, not just in traditional diplomacy but also in economics, among other fields. Apart from the ministry’s many capable diplomats, noncareer diplomats are also available for the President to choose from.

Jokowi will reportedly announce his new Cabinet lineup this month, to be finalized after he is sworn in for his second term on Oct. 20. He may replace some ministers implicated in corruption cases.

Jokowi may or may not retain Retno LP Marsudi as his chief diplomat. She will certainly be remembered for two achievements in the last five years, but are they enough for Indonesia? My answer is definitely no.

First, Indonesia was selected to be a nonpermanent member of the United Nations Security Council for two years until December 2020. It is Indonesia’s fourth membership.

Second, Indonesia succeeded in convincing ASEAN to unanimously adopt a united position on the Indo-Pacific concept during its summit in Bangkok last month. It is perfect on paper. The regional grouping demands to play a central role in the Indo-Pacific. Other partners, such as the US, Australia, Japan and India, however, have their own concepts. It will take an extremely long time to achieve the goal.

EU officials insisted last week that Indonesia should play a much more substantial role in global affairs. “You are a member of the world’s 20 largest economies, but you are too shy,” a diplomat said.

In his farewell interview with The Jakarta Post last month, then-British ambassador Moazzam Malik said Indonesia should be more open and active internationally. “It is important for the world, because you are the world’s fourth-largest country, the third-largest democracy and [have] the world’s largest Muslim population.”

Though Jokowi may be recorded in history as Indonesia’s president with the least attention to and interest in foreign relations, he is very keen on economic diplomacy. He is consistently inclined to an inward-looking approach. In his victory speech to staunch supporters last week, just one day after his contender Prabowo Subianto had congratulated him on his reelection, the President did not explicitly mention the direction of his foreign policy for the next five years.

However, a careful reading of the speech shows Jokowi has actually set up his foreign policy base — domestic economic power and domestic democracy. He differs sharply from Prabowo, who insisted that Indonesia’s international posture was determined by its military might.

“We have to be optimistic about the future. We have to be confident and brave in facing the challenge of global competition. We have to believe that we can be one of the strongest countries in the world,” the President said, one day after Prabowo finally congratulated the President in their meeting on the Jakarta MRT.

Second, the President also needs to consider expanding the role and function of the Foreign Ministry by putting it in charge of international trade. After Soeharto’s fall, the government abolished the directorate general for foreign economic relations at the Foreign Ministry. This played an important role during Soeharto’s rule and was fully involved in the Cabinet meetings. The Foreign Ministry then only had directorates general for the Asia Pacific, American and European affairs, ASEAN cooperation, multilateral affairs, information and public diplomacy, law and international treaties, and protocol and consular affairs. None of them are specifically for economic matters.

Indonesia may need to learn from Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, which states on its website that it “provides foreign, trade and development policy advice to the government. We work with other government agencies to ensure that Australia’s pursuit of its global, regional and bilateral interests is coordinated effectively”. So Jokowi could rename the Foreign Ministry to be the Foreign Affairs and International Trade Ministry. The current Trade Ministry then could focus on domestic trade.

Third, the President needs to set up a council on foreign relations. The Foreign Ministry already has its own think tank, the Policy Analysis and Development Agency, now headed by Siswo Pramono, but it is more for internal purposes. The council would serve as a think tank and advisor to the President and the foreign minister. It would comprise former foreign ministers, senior diplomats, businesspeople, scholars, senior military and police officers and eminent persons. Its main task would be to provide outlooks and advice for the President and the Cabinet regarding foreign relations.

President Jokowi needs a powerful foreign minister who would be in charge of an expanded ministry, and he definitely also needs an effective foreign relations council. On security and defense affairs, it is also important for the President to set up a national security advisory council, but, again, with an effective team.

It is the President’s prerogative to pick his ministers. This is just a gentle reminder: He needs a powerful foreign minister as his chief diplomat.

https://www.thejakartapost.com/academia/2019/07/19/jokowi-needs-powerful-foreign-minister.html

Just another gentle reminder, Jokowi need more stronger military posture to backing up his diplomacy approach as we are too shy to use military posturing to backing up even on our border Enforcement policy against our neighbor

Trump policies of trade war especially against China eventually gives negative effects to Indonesia as it disrupts global trade chain with tarriff applied. Not only against China but also against NAFTA members in particular Mexico & Canada and also recently launched trade war against EU. What bothers me that we actually have trade surplus with US and Trump recently planning to lift up GSP for developing nations unless rebalancing the trade. We can play along and win him over through this

https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/05/article/to-pacify-trump-indonesia-seeks-american-arms/

Hoping that somehow US & China can agree on set term, or watching US elections 2020. AFAIK Deep South states normally Republican voters & Trump supporters slowly switch their voice. Farmers especially Soya bean, Corn & Onion are facing bankruptcy due to China retalliatory tarrifs on US agriculture products. These farmers made majority of deep south & midland voters which their voice reflects Electoral College they represent. Republican voice is crumbling with low popularity as we see ourself Conggres election has been won by Democrat House Majority and Conggreswoman Nancy Pelosi has been named as Democratic House Speaker, with New England & West Coast population hold firms in Democratic Party while Republican traditional voters are swinging, 2020 election would be interesting. Donald J.Trump will obviously continue as Republican standard bearer, the question is who Democrats will pick as standard bearer with strategies to winning the south while keeping the votes in the north.

Whoa you seems to have good knowledge in politics. Your profile picture is one of my favourite Indonesia "Srikandi". Her worked sometime go un-notice due to the nature of her job, but I can see the result and Im proud she representing our nation in international forum.

I have a question regarding relation among Nato vs Trumph and our arms balance. I know trumph has been pissing on them couple of times. The german, france, british, sweedia, spain 6th gen fighter development which reluctant to alow US base company to join them seems like reflection of cracks from inside? The decision which France publicly anounce to get rid of US components from its def products? Join C130 Hercules base between French and German? I could go all day here hehe. My question is what should Indonesia do seeing this? Getting more defense arrangement with German and France to have better Non-american defense product/components rather then relying on Russia? I personally like Rusian products specially their missiles and passive radar technology, EW, I think they are more advance then the west in some cases. But now the stacks are against them, too risky to rely on russ to diversify now as their company and economy is falling down, we need better options.

Whoa you seems to have good knowledge in politics. Your profile picture is one of my favourite Indonesia "Srikandi". Her worked sometime go un-notice due to the nature of her job, but I can see the result and Im proud she representing our nation in international forum.

I have a question regarding relation among Nato vs Trumph and our arms balance. I know trumph has been pissing on them couple of times. The german, france, british, sweedia, spain 6th gen fighter development which reluctant to alow US base company to join them seems like reflection of cracks from inside? The decision which France publicly anounce to get rid of US components from its def products? Join C130 Hercules base between French and German? I could go all day here hehe. My question is what should Indonesia do seeing this? Getting more defense arrangement with German and France to have better Non-american defense product/components rather then relying on Russia? I personally like Rusian products specially their missiles and passive radar technology, EW, I think they are more advance then the west in some cases. But now the stacks are against them, too risky to rely on russ to diversify now as their company and economy is falling down, we need better options.
Generally we interact well with European arms manufacturers and many of our defence industries products receive inputs from Europe namely CASA ( Spain ) & IPTN programme on NC-212 & CN-235, Messerschmitt ( Germany ) BO-105 which being licence produce in IPTN facillity, various Super Puma family ( SA-330, NAS-332 & latest H-225M ) by which we have rights to manufacture certain components & MRO facillity from Aerospatiale ( France ) backthen later Airbus nowadays also SS-1 series assault rifles which originally from FN ( Belgium ). Overall we can enjoy excellence partnership with Europe but certain things just can't go without US like F-16s, etc. So my perception we generally doing well with NATO countries in term defence industries development and technology transfer.
To add PT.Pindad Anoa 6x6 APC also has inputs from Renault ( France ) VAB APC platform and untill now we still use French engine

Last edited:

Russian products excels in defensive purpose, especially defense against NATO weapons, NATO made the best tank, Russia built the best anti-tank and so on. Aside from economic and political reason, supply chain from Russia is hard and complicated to maintain as they are pretty much isolated geographically, blocked by NATO both in the Baltic and the Black sea, and that Vladivostok freezes for a large portion of the year, all sea route from Russia are difficult, Indonesia doesn't have the land (railway) access to Russia like China or India, so every arms purchases must go through that difficult (and long) route or by the expensive airlift (and this in the state of sanction), and then comes the maintenance and spare parts....

So far, the Army have been very satisfied with French Army products, notably 30 tons and under armored assets also artillery (CAESAR), for Germany, there's no other place where it's better to buy anything tracked above 30 tonnes. EU products are notoriously expensive tho, but at least they're "honestly" expensive, unlike the US who deliberately overprice their products for export. Talking about local political matters and factionalism, TNI-AD will not use any Russian product, period (and it turns, Chinese, there's even accident involving their products).

From down under

Laksamana TNI Siwi Adji tingkatkan hubungan dengan AL Australia
Jumat, 19 Juli 2019 13:10 WIB

siwi.jpeg

Kepala Staf TNI AL, Laksamana TNI Siwi Adji (tengah), melakukan inspeksi kehormatan di Markas Besar Angkatan Laut Australia, di Canberra, Australia, Jumat (19/7/2019). Selama di Australia, dia bertemu dengan Kepala Staf Angkatan Australia, Vice Admiral Michael Joseph Noonan, dan beberapa pemimpin puncak militer negara benua itu. (Dinas Penerangan TNI AL)

Jakarta (ANTARA) - Kepala Staf TNI AL, Laksamana TNI Siwi Sukma Adji, tengah melakukan kunjungan kehormatan kepada koleganya, Kepala Staf Angkatan Laut Australia, Vice Admiral Michael Joseph Noonan, di Canberra, Australia, Jumat (19/07).

FB_IMG_15603551756108053.jpg
Old assesment of Leopard 2 MBTs feasibility on Indonesian roads & bridges.
FB_IMG_15550816500178087.jpg

Scope of work on 2nd batch of Nagapasa Class between PT.PAL & DSME
Credit to Fb page FSM

I wonder if there is a plan to increase our Leopard quantity? or the army just need 100 of them at the moment?
I don't see any plans that Army will add more Leopards now. 103 Leopard 2 & 10 Utillity Panzers, the number won't change in future i suppose just maximise the current ones by upgrades, new leadership new priorities after all we are archipelagic nation, the major arms acquisition should be more focused on Navy & Air Force.

tni-au-coba-smart-hunter-di-angkasa-yudha-2019-ini-kehebatannya-wtw.jpeg

Prajurit TNI AU melakukan uji smart hunter dalam latihan terbesar TNI AU, Angkasa Yudha 2019 di Lanud Iswahjudi. Foto/Ist.

TNI AU Coba Smart Hunter di Angkasa Yudha 2019, Ini Kehebatannya
115Shares
facebook.svg

twitter.svg

whatsapp.svg

linkedin.svg

sharethis.svg

MADIUN - Latihan terbesar TNI AU, Angkasa Yudha 2019, menjadi ajang uji coba sejumlah alat utama sistem senjata (Alutsista) canggih milik penjaga langit nusantara ini.

Berbagai alat perang terbaru yang dimiliki TNI AU, yang diujicobakan di Angkasa Yudha 2019, antara lain Jammer GPS, anti drone, Mobil DF (direction finder), Communication Jammer Mobile, serta Smart Hunter.

Baca Juga:

Smart hunter merupakan peralatan TNI AU yang mengarah pada kelengkapan rudal anti serangan udara (SAM/surface to air missile), dengan basis MANPADS (man portable air defence systems).

Ini bisa dilihat dari hadirnya sista Mistral, Grom, dan QW-3. Dengan basis MANPADS, rudal dapat dioperasikan secara mandiri oleh satu atau dua orang awak. Dalam beberapa platform, dapat diintegrasikan dengan pola penembakkan otomatis dalam suatu sistem peluncur

SAM SHORAD seperti Mistral, Grom, dan QW-3 rata-rata jarak tembak maksimumnya mencapai 5.000-6.000 meter. Dengan kecepatan supersonic, itu artinya target yang disasar 'hanya' efektif mengejar helikopter dan jet tempur yang terbang rendah dengan kecepatan tinggi. Sementara dalam konteks menghadapi jet tempur yang terbang tinggi di atas 8.000-10.000 meter alat ini tidak begitu efektif.

Smart Hunter yang merupakan buatan China, adalah sistem radar yang digunakan untuk memandu awak rudal QW-3 dalam mengetahui arah datangnya target lawan. Maklum arah datangnya pesawat lawan kadang sulit ditemukan secara visual.

Dengan demikian, awak rudal dapat mengambil inisiatif pertama untuk melakukan tembakan untuk melumpuhkan pesawat penyusup. Smart Hunter dipasang dalam platform jip 4×4, untuk pesanan Paskhas, digunakan jenis Nissan Frontier 2000 cc dengan warna cat hijau.
ADVERTISEMENT

Dilengkapi jaringan wireless, sehingga satu unit Smart Hunter mampu mengendalikan 12 penembak QW-3. Jalur komunikasi antara pusat kendali dan juru tembak mengandalkan gelombang WiFi (wireless fidelity).

Dalam keterangannya, Kepala Staf Angkatan Udara (Kasau) Marsekal TNI Yuyu Sutisna mengatakan, sangat bangga dengan semangat yang ditunjukkan para prajurit TNI AU selama latihan Angkasa Yudha 2019.

"Latihan Angkasa Yudha 2019 penuh dengan kompleksitas, namun saya berharap kita mampu melaksanakan latihan ini dengan baik. Tugas kita adalah latihan dan operasi, semuanya membutuhkan biaya yang besar, namun yakinlah kita akan memenuhi kekurangan-kekurangan kita," tegasnya.

Ini yg dulu muncul perdebatan sengit..sampai ada istilah jamaah amblesiyah
Well that term " ambles " if i could remember 6 or 7 years ago originally came from esteemed former President Habibie. I don't mean to disrespect him he's a genious and contributes greatly in early days of our aviation industry however he's not an expert in Tank & armoured vehicle, the subjects aren't his expertise. Those Leopards certainly do well as stated in the assesment

Now army have mbt leo2..
Does our marine need mbt too? Marine only have bmp, pt76 n amx10pac90..maybe marine can go to france for le clecr or russia t80 or t90..marine much more familiar witj ruski stuff..how about the plan thar marine to purchase sprut?? Still keep going or it just like su35

Now army have mbt leo2..
Does our marine need mbt too? Marine only have bmp, pt76 n amx10pac90..maybe marine can go to france for le clecr or russia t80 or t90..marine much more familiar witj ruski stuff..how about the plan thar marine to purchase sprut?? Still keep going or it just like su35
I think for immidiate needs we will see more IFVs & APCs like BMP-3F & BT-3F slowly replacing ageing PT-76B & BTR-50. In fact marines focus most likely will be to replace many of ageing equipments from USSR.
Meanwhile
Screenshot_2019-07-19-19-13-15-1.png

What seems like AWACS simulation using MPA aircraft during Exercise Angkasa Yudha

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom