What's new

Indonesia Aerospace Forum

@Indos

Nice guys, you have a lot going on, I didn't know much about Indonesia but definitely want to visit one day.

You can find many interesting place in Indonesia if you visit one day bro, not like in USA in here you also dont have to worry about the food, almost everything is halal. The weather is also perfect all year. :enjoy:

You can find many interesting place in Indonesia if you visit one day bro, not like in USA in here you also dont have to worry about the food, almost everything is halal. The weather is also perfect all year. :enjoy:

I seen some vlogs of people going there and it is a lot nicer than I thought. Have to do some Asia tour one day, anyway don't want to get off topic. :)

Dirgantara Indonesia to produce composite parts for Airbus, Boeing
  • Harry Suhartono and Fathiya Dahrul
    Bloomberg
Jakarta / Tue, May 14, 2019 / 10:36 am
2018_09_07_53248_1536305654._large.jpg

A CN295 plane produced by state-owned aircraft industry PT Dirgantara Indonesia (PTDI) was parked at PNdok Cabe Airport in Pondok Cabe, Southeast Tengerang, Banten after a delivery ceremony to the National Police on Sept. 7 at the Air Police Directorate headquarters. (kontan.co.id/Zaki Ari Setiawan)

Dirgantara Indonesia, a supplier of aluminum wing components for Airbus SE’s A320 and A380 model jets, is developing the production capability to supply non-metal aircraft parts as well.

The company is “exploring opportunities” to produce so-called composite parts -- typically made from fiberglass or carbon fiber -- for both Airbus and Boeing within the next two years, President Director Elfien Goentoro said in an interview in Jakarta Monday. The state-owned company, which is also an aircraft manufacturer, intends to triple its plane production to 56-a-year by 2024, he said.

The expanded production plans would support the Indonesian government’s efforts to reduce the nation’s dependence on commodities and narrow the current account deficit. Dirgantara, based in West Java, expects its latest 19-seat propeller plane, the N219, to obtain certification from Indonesian regulators this year, Goentoro said.

“We want to expand our composite-parts production facilities so hopefully by 2021, we can start taking orders for these aircraft parts,” Goentoro said. “We also plan to invest $119 million to build a facility dedicated to producing the N219.”

Island Hoppers

The aircraft would be for use in industries including tourism to provide access to remote areas, such as some of the 17,000 islands that make up Indonesia, the world’s largest archipelago. Dirgantara plans to produce 36 of these aircraft annually by 2024 with a target to exporting half of them, in addition to making 20 other propeller planes a year, Goentoro said.

The company is targeting orders for the N219 in the Philippines, Thailand, Malaysia, East Timor, Nepal, Senegal and South Korea this year, Goentoro said. “Our company’s intention is to boost our exports significantly so we can have a better balance between our domestic contracts and contracts denominated in foreign currencies.”

Dirgantara plans to boost its aircraft maintenance, repair and overhaul business and is certified by Airbus to service some of its military aircraft and helicopters, Goentoro said.

The company previously supplied parts for Boeing’s 737 family of aircraft under a contract that has expired, Goentoro said. Dirgantara wants to secure a new contract with the U.S. aircraft maker, he said, without specifying whether they are in discussions.

Goentoro also said he’s in talks with Indonesian finance ministry officials to allow the N219, which was developed domestically, to be sold to local customers without attracting a luxury tax from the government.

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news...roduce-composite-parts-for-airbus-boeing.html

LAPAN aims for experimental microsatellite constellation by 2020
By
Deyana Goh
-
February 8, 2018

Image of Mt Rinjani taken by Lapan A3. Image courtesy of LAPAN's Satellite Technology Centre.
Indonesia’s space agency LAPAN is planning to operate an experimental microsatellite constellation by 2020, said Head of LAPAN Prof. Dr Thomas Djamaluddin. The announcement was made at the Global Space and Technology Convention (GSTC) held in Singapore from 1-2 February 2018.

Currently, said Prof. Djamaluddin, LAPAN is developing two microsatellites, Lapan A4 and Lapan A5. These will add to LAPAN’s first three remote sensing satellites, Lapan A1, A2, and A3, which were launched in 2007, 2015, and 2016 respectively, all aboard India’s PSLV. The first microsatellite launched 10 years ago, Lapan A1, has far exceeded its design life of 2 years.

All the satellites will work towards national development goals – Lapan A4 will carry a multispectral imager and will be used for maritime surveillance, whereas Lapan A5 be the world’s first microsatellite to carry a Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR), developed by Chiba University in Japan. The previous satellites have also been used for scientific and national development goals, most notably, agriculture and ship monitoring.

All the currently operational satellites have a mass of between 50-120kg, whereas LAPAN aims to make its upcoming satellites slightly larger, with masses of between 100-300kg. This will pave the way for Indonesia to develop larger indigenous satellites, the first of which is targeted for the year 2021.

Said Prof. Djamaluddin, “So far we have made 3 microsatellites – LAPAN A1, A2 and A3, and now we are preparing the Lapan A4 and lapan A5, and we hope that after 2020, we will have an operational microsatellite constellation”.

Concurrently, Indonesia is also developing its own orbital launch vehicle; LAPAN regularly launches indigenous sounding rockets, which the agency hopes will form the basis of a larger launch vehicle.

http://www.spacetechasia.com/lapan-aims-for-experimental-microsatellite-constellation-by-2020/

Latest Rhan 450 launched, 28 December 2018

Uji-Dinamis-Roket-R-Han-450.jpg

Google Translate
Closed 2018 with Rhan-450 Launch Achievement
News Writer: Pustekroket • Photographer: Pustekroket • Dec 28, 2018 • Read: 1588 x
d2330c4820b912fcc7ec023244c56832.jpg

LAPAN successfully tested a 450 mm diameter rocket flying at the rocket launch station of the Pameungpeuk Institute for Space and Atmospheric Testing and Atmosphere, Garut Regency, West Java. Flight testing takes place on Friday (28/12) 2018, preparations begin at 05.30 WIB. The testing program was opened by the Deputy of Aeronautics and Space Technology LAPAN, Dr. Rika Andiarti was then continued by the Head of Research and Development of the Ministry of Defense (Ministry of Defense), and the Director of Development of PT. Dahana.

This rocket is the result of collaboration between the LAPAN Rocket Technology Center, the Ministry of Defense and PT. Dahana incorporated in the National Rocket consortium. one of the main programs in 2018 is the continued testing of ground to ground rockets with a range of 100 Km. In 2016 Rhan-450 had been carried out flight tests with good results.

Rhan-450 is a ballistic rocket with a configuration of a total length of 7.1 meters, a diameter of 0.45 meters, a max speed of 4000 Km / hour, a mass of 1600 Kg, with a charge of the dynamics of flying sensors and ballasts. After the preparation and reading of the SOP of the rocket launch, at 09.05 WIB Rhan-450 was flown. Rockets glide both through the pameungpeuk beach clouds with 193 ° shooting azimuth.

ef76245a869d06ec6d0dc12fd2576c1c.jpg

https://lapan.go.id/index.php/subbl...18-dengan-Prestasi-Peluncuran-Rhan-450/berita

Last edited:
PT Dirgantara Indonesia is seeking financing for production facility expansion. According to recent news, PT DI needs $119 million US (Rp1,67 triliun). It looks like N 219 has a solid demand that make current production facility not enough to catch up with orders. Alhamdulillah.

With around 80 designers are in Korea for KFX program and some are still working with N 219 and UAV development, PT DI probably experience a shortage of designers that make N 245 development get delayed. I predict N 245 program will only started to be a serious one starting at 2022.

Here is the news in Indonesia:

https://beritagar.id/artikel/berita/pt-di-butuh-119-juta-untuk-kembangkan-pesawat-n219

Last edited:
@Indos Is H225M Caracal only meant to replace the fleets of older Puma, or is it going to be one of our main tranport/SAR heicopter models, with possibility of more orders (than just to replace the aging fleets)? Is it possible that the Army would also order it in the future? how does it compare with the Mi-17? Also, what do you think of the speculated CH-47F Chinook acquisition, do you support it?

@Indos Is H225M Caracal only meant to replace the fleets of older Puma, or is it going to be one of our main tranport/SAR heicopter models, with possibility of more orders (than just to replace the aging fleets)? Is it possible that the Army would also order it in the future? how does it compare with the Mi-17? Also, what do you think of the speculated CH-47F Chinook acquisition, do you support it?

I dont know bro, but IMO it should be become our main CSAR helicopter because it is a proven and strong helicopter and it is also manufactured in Indonesia so according to our defense law its acquisition should have been prioritized. There will be a question mark if we dont acquire it for this role. And after AW 101 scandal I think more Caracal will be ordered.

For transport role, Caracal is also ideal with its better performance than Mi-17 if we look on range and speed although the capacity is rather smaller with no ramp door. IMO Army should order Caracal and combine it with Mi-17.

CH-47F is a good Helicopter and will be useful for the Army but according to me its acquisition is not really that urgent now, at least for the next 5 years. Lets administration after Jokowi who will decide it. Army should instead acquire medium tank and medium range SAM first rather than acquire CH-47F. Ordering Caracal for transport/CSAR role in my opinion is also more urgent for the Army.

Beside that we also have limited defense budget so it should be spend base on what we really need first. Even we have to pay half of Su 35 with barter and want to lower our financial commitment in KFX program that can endanger our position in the program. Buying CH-47F is really a silly decision at least for the next 5 years.

Last edited:
I dont know bro, but IMO it should be become our main CSAR helicopter because it is a proven and strong helicopter and it is also manufactured in Indonesia so according to our defense law its acquisition should have been prioritized. There will be a question mark if we dont acquire it for this role. And after AW 101 scandal I think more Caracal will be ordered.

For transport role, Caracal is also ideal with its better performance than Mi-17 if we look on range and speed although the capacity is rather smaller with no ramp door. IMO Army should order Caracal and combine it with Mi-17.

CH-47F is a good Helicopter and will be useful for the Army but according to me its acquisition is not really that urgent now, at least for the next 5 years. Lets administration after Jokowi who will decide it. Army should instead acquire medium tank and medium range SAM first rather than acquire CH-47F. Ordering Caracal for transport/CSAR role in my opinion is also more urgent for the Army.

Beside that we also have limited defense budget so it should be spend base on what we really need first. Even we have to pay half of Su 35 with barter and want to lower our financial commitment in KFX program that can endanger our position in the program. Buying CH-47F is really a silly decision at least for the next 5 years.
Agree, it seems that prioritizing the essentials and finishing what we've started much more important than adding more projects. I'm just concerned of how much the goverment put their attention to the Caracal, cause this one right here could very well fill our need for heavy CSAR/transport heli, with a plus that we already locally produced some of it's component (and perhaps would increase the share of local components in the future?). Idk at least 40 Multirole Caracals sounds nice, but i think we need more Helis with rear ramp door like the Mi-17, i hope there's more orders of this particular model, especially the latest variant like Mi-171A2 (or the variant with NATO grade jeroan?).

About the medium range SAM, what do you refer to? the NASAMS 2 or something else (SAMP/T, Patriot)? I agree that it's more urgent than anything else, cause we are severely lacking in this sector. But, there's lack of any information regarding them, and i'm afraid that we won't getting adequate number of them by the end of 2024 if this situation continues.

Agree, it seems that prioritizing the essentials and finishing what we've started much more important than adding more projects. I'm just concerned of how much the goverment put their attention to the Caracal, cause this one right here could very well fill our need for heavy CSAR/transport heli, with a plus that we already locally produced some of it's component (and perhaps would increase the share of local components in the future?). Idk at least 40 Multirole Caracals sounds nice, but i think we need more Helis with rear ramp door like the Mi-17, i hope there's more orders of this particular model, especially the latest variant like Mi-171A2 (or the variant with NATO grade jeroan?).

About the medium range SAM, what do you refer to? the NASAMS 2 or something else (SAMP/T, Patriot)? I agree that it's more urgent than anything else, cause we are severely lacking in this sector. But, there's lack of any information regarding them, and i'm afraid that we won't getting adequate number of them by the end of 2024 if this situation continues.

Yup, we need to increase to 40 Caracals, seems reasonable for me, at least we will hopefully have that number in 2030. I dont think the number will be reached even until 2024 since there are also many urgent acquisition plan that need to be realized like completing KFX program financing, submarine and frigate acquisition for navy, and medium tank for army and SAM acquisition for Air force. IMO Caracal acquisition will be done step by step along with acquisition of larger transport helicopter like Mi-17. Nevertheless, we still lack of transport helicopter so future acquisition is a must.

I refer to NASAMS 2 as it is a good system since it uses proven AMRAAM missile and the missile can be used for our F 16 and future IFX fighter as well (inshaAllah if the program is successful). Longer range SAM system in my opinion is not a good option for the mean time. The urgent one is to have middle range SAM first to protect some very valuable site. We also need to buy more AMRAAM and hopefully the number could at least adequate to get some valuable TOT. As we know our AMRAAM order is so small that cannot even enough to sustain a small war with our neighbors.

Indonesia should also spend adequate amount of money to make indigenous SAM system and cruise missile in the future. I heard from Lapan person (rocket department) that finally Lapan have mastered guidance system for rocket. The one that is still far from success I think is to make the seeker from SAM but if funding is enough it is not impossible to make it. So our RX family, particularly RX 450 can potentially be more lethal in the future.

Anyway I partially agree with Jokowi military planner that there will be no war at least for the next 20 years, I will say at least 10-15 years from now there will be no war, so we still have 10-15 years for preparation. No need to be rush so rather than setting the year of 2024 as the target, I rather see 2030-2035 is more reasonable to have adequate SAM system protection. And hopefully at that time some portion of our SAM system can come from our indigenous one. For 2024, at least we have 5 NASAMS 2 system to protect very very valuable site.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom