What's new

India's nutrition scenario not better than other south Asian

The graph above did not show the among of consumption, so it doesn't really show the true situation. If the average is way under world standard, one can only imagine the quality of food that poor people eat. There are plenty sources that show the similar statistics, if you are willing to accept the reality. Here is one:

Majot%20Food%20Key%20kg.png

Meat%20Type%20Key%20kg.png

http://ubclfs-wmc.landfood.ubc.ca/webapp/VWM/course/global-food-challenges-2/consumption-37/

I was asking specifically about the fruit and vegetables statement given there is a whole host of Indian fruits, pulses and vegetables that are not compiled by statistics given few other countries produce them and they are not globally recognised....and only a selection are compiled by the Indian govt as well (mostly stuff that can be exported or are in large demand in urban areas and thus is of value to estimate so price data can be monitored). But rural consumption in many areas is not official counted/compiled for this very reason. I can give examples just in my home state and even district..

Also, if its just production / population....that is a very poor way of going about it (given a) what I stated above and b) the large under-estimation of Indian agricultural production due to presence of small farming units). Its ok for rule of thumb of stuff that is only grown in medium to large sized farms that are taxed or are owned by landlords that pay tax etc...these are the major food crops, cash crops and grains etc....but many farmers/rural folk raise chickens, quails etc on top of food products that are consumed very locally on subsistence level that seriously deflate the production stats but would be reflected somewhat in consumption based survey (but that needs a really good study and analysis to produce).

Thus for fruit and veg (and even the rest of the food) I would rather go with comprehensive consumption based surveys....like the World Bank MMRP survey of consumption (hoping that it provides details of the food-based components when it is released later this year or next year).

Over time the statistics for India should improve as smaller farms become unfeasible and also more expansion is done to estimate the output of "non-conventional" (by world defintion) but local fruits, pulses and vegetables etc.

Last edited:
India has "the lowest margin life“? How much money a month?

Where does it fit into the discussion? Any evidence for your claim.

We are a poor country, poverty leads to all problems. India will not be always poor. It will always have some problems because of high population density but many will be addressed with a stronger economy.

In China people work for 13-14 hrs so that you can churn out cheap products, heard many even die from exhaustion. How can China have high margin life.

Lentils are a popular source of protein in the Indian diet. Almost every meal has some form of lentils. A graph showing only wheat rice and meat is incomplete.

Eggs and chicken are also fairly cheap proteins.

They catch a lot of fish in the rivers and lakes too (I know of 3 fishing units very close to my hometown that are off the radar so to speak because its very inland area)....I have seen how Indian fisheries ministry calculates/estimates the total....it is very conservative to say the least.

Also the tribal hill produce is almost never counted. (just speaking about my hometown) but they give many sources of all kinds of things just remembering my childhood and visits back home.

The figure for Assam is definitely not correct. If Bengal is 98 percent is non veg then Assam should be 99 percent. Rest I agree.

Its a small error. Also remember that people can easily just say they are vegetarian but actually eat fish etc now and then.

Pakistan and Sri Lanka are the only two countries in South Asia with obesity problem - comparable to that of China. No idea if that is because of lack of exercise or over indulgence - I leave that for you guy's conclude.

As a asides meat is big in Pakistan, mutton, chicken you name it. Meat, meat preferably in Kebab form is the way to go. Fish consumption is negligible because most of Pakistan is distant from the sea.

25946-19hptz1.JPG

Link > http://indy100.independent.co.uk/article/these-are-the-most-obese-countries-in-the-world--gyEoNT9Esx

Pakistan and Sri Lanka are the only two countries in South Asia with obesity problem - comparable to that of China. No idea if that is because of lack of exercise or over indulgence - I leave that for you guy's conclude.

As a asides meat is big in Pakistan, mutton, chicken you name it. Meat, meat preferably in Kebab form is the way to go. Fish consumption is negligible because most of Pakistan is distant from the sea.

25946-19hptz1.JPG

Link > http://indy100.independent.co.uk/article/these-are-the-most-obese-countries-in-the-world--gyEoNT9Esx
Atleast in this department India is doing well.

India is still early on the road of meat production but its growing quite rapidly.

"Official" meat production in India is trebling every decade (whereas population growth per decade from now on will be around 10 - 12% per decade and dropping)

uNwOfSn.jpg

http://aipvt.vci.nic.in/REPORT.pdf

Good, but India is still punching below its income level when it comes to the consumption of meat. Eating meat of course, is not about bragging rights, but about nutrition. The fact remains that it is the only common source of pure, natural protein. While things like pulses (lentils) have a good amount of protein in them, they cannot really be compared to meat.

13-08USDAAg1.gif

http://www.thebeefsite.com/articles...inate-world-demand-for-agricultural-products/

imrs.php

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2014/07/14/the-coming-global-domination-of-chicken/

Last edited:
The problem was post manufacturing assembly and improper alignment of door features, due to variance. Now I don't want to disclose my employer :P so i will not go into detail.
And this was a few years ago.
I also believe Ind & BD should not be compared. They are in different leagues. Just that some BD posters get on the nerves because they are full of talk and bravado

Not only are they in different leagues, the development focus is in different areas.

For now Bangladesh has chosen export-oriented labor-intensive manufacturing as a focus.

The only non-conformance to this rule is pharma manufacturing which is a strength of most countries in South Asia.

India on the other hand has chosen mechanized manufacturing and Back-office outsourcing.

The only thing somewhat common between our focii is specialized agri-exports and floriculture.

While things like pulses (lentils) have a good amount of protein in them, they cannot really be compared to meat.

Thats why you combine them with rice, bread etc to make a complete protein.

http://www.pulsecanada.com/uploads/...41ef6e2e2d25/USA_PC_protein_fact_sheet_p6.pdf

Not to mention there is large dairy and fish protein in many parts of India too.

Also official production/person (which is how the majority of these "consumption" graphs work) like I said does not capture the large unofficial production/consumption that goes on especially in rural areas of India.....be it meat or anything else.

India has to balance its growth of meat consumption. It is well under when consumption of meat becomes a health hazard....but there are severe problems in the environment caused by mass meat farming. Certainly poultry and eggs are the way to go for the mid term growth.....along with pumping up milk and pulses too as far as possible (without too much mass commercial milk production as that is environmentally damaging too)

Thats why you combine them with rice, bread etc to make a complete protein.

http://www.pulsecanada.com/uploads/...41ef6e2e2d25/USA_PC_protein_fact_sheet_p6.pdf

Well, I meant protein as a percentage of the food:

protein-in-food.jpg

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/health/protein-in-foods/

Not to mention there is large dairy and fish protein in many parts of India too.

Understood. I believe that the first chart in my previous post takes fish into account.

Milk is good. But it also comes with a lot of unnecessary sugar and fat. Calorie wise it is only 40-60% protein. Drunken (or eaten) in excessive amounts, the sugar (and fat) adds up. In moderation it is very healthy though of course, and good source of vitamins and calcium. It's not a true replacement for meat though. Nothing really is in my opinion.

Last edited:
Understood. I believe that the first chart in my previous post takes fish into account.

Milk is good. But it also comes with a lot of and sugar and fat. Calorie wise it is only 40-60% protein. Drunken (or eaten) in excessive amounts, the sugar (and fat) adds up. In moderation it is very healthy though of course, and good source of vitamins and calcium. It's not a true replacement for meat though. Nothing really is in my opinion.

Yah well thats why you dont exclusively rely on one source of non-meat protein. Pulses + grains + yoghurt etc and fish/eggs where its available and an option.

In fact I would say most milk is converted to dahi in India which makes the protein much more bio-available and less sugar etc. This happens with paneer etc as well.

Meat (esp red) in India has to be more of a supplement to augment the calories and protein intake overall because it would be an ecological nightmare to mass farm it (the world at large is already looking to other alternatives for purely ecology/environment sake)....given the resource intensity required per gram of protein and India's already high population density especially in the areas with surplus farm labour.

Poultry and eggs will have to be the growth sectors in comparison (with good management and new green tech as needed). In fact poultry already makes up nearly half of India's meat production, it is its fastest growing one and this is a good thing.

For example the total production of poultry meat in India was around 3 million tons in 2014 fiscal year.

For the current calendar year (2016), production is expected to be around 4.2 million tons. So the growth is just really taking off here....varying from 8 - 20% each year over last few years.

http://gain.fas.usda.gov/Recent GAIN Publications/Poultry and Poultry Products Annual 2015_New Delhi_India_9-30-2015.pdf

Eggs also are growthing at a healthy clip about 5 - 15% year on year production. Should be around 80 billion eggs this year.

The US in comparison with population 4 times smaller produces a little bit more than India now (India should surpass them in a few years if not next year)....so we can say Indian consumption of eggs in recent years per capita is already about a quarter that of the US...which is a long way from say 10 years ago when it was less than 10% I believe.

Actually Asian countries generally have high consumption of fruits and vegetable...
It can compensate a little...
Meat is indeed important...
Excessive red meat intake is not healthy, but no meat at all is harmful...
China is crazily buying land around the world to meet the growing need of Chinese...
Meet production is quite a waste of land....
consumption-of-fruits-and-vegetables-global-and-asian-perspective-13-638.jpg

Yah well thats why you dont exclusively rely on one source of non-meat protein. Pulses + grains + yoghurt etc and fish/eggs where its available and an option.

In fact I would say most milk is converted to dahi in India which makes the protein much more bio-available and less sugar etc. This happens with paneer etc as well.

Meat (esp red) in India has to be more of a supplement to augment the calories and protein intake overall because it would be an ecological nightmare to mass farm it (the world at large is already looking to other alternatives for purely ecology/environment sake)....given the resource intensity required per gram of protein and India's already high population density especially in the areas with surplus farm labour.

Poultry and eggs will have to be the growth sectors in comparison (with good management and new green tech as needed). In fact poultry already makes up nearly half of India's meat production, it is its fastest growing one and this is a good thing.

For example the total production of poultry meat in India was around 3 million tons in 2014 fiscal year.

For the current calendar year (2016), production is expected to be around 4.2 million tons. So the growth is just really taking off here....varying from 8 - 20% each year over last few years.

http://gain.fas.usda.gov/Recent GAIN Publications/Poultry and Poultry Products Annual 2015_New Delhi_India_9-30-2015.pdf

Eggs also are growthing at a healthy clip about 5 - 15% year on year production. Should be around 80 billion eggs this year.

The US in comparison with population 4 times smaller produces a little bit more than India now (India should surpass them in a few years if not next year)....so we can say Indian consumption of eggs in recent years per capita is already about a quarter that of the US...which is a long way from say 10 years ago when it was less than 10% I believe.

Ya, I guess that my general point was that meat is really the only natural food that is overwhelmingly protein. Even dairy/eggs are only about half protein by percentage.

But I am very glad to hear that India is increasing its meat and egg production at a healthy rate. Hopefully it continues (I suspect it will). You are right though that India is very densely populated, and hence, it will be limited in its ability to raise livestock at a certain point in the future. But methods are becoming more efficient as time goes on, and more importantly, India can always import its meat from other less densely populated countries.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom