What's new

India's Arjun tank

One a side note, expect the Arjun to under go a Leo 2A6 type transformation with ERA on the top now that PA is getting TOW C's.

zraver I dont know how much you believe the guy called Denil,he apparently mentioned about the application of NERA on Arjun.
I guess they might be thinking in that direction.

I have read that Leo uses perforated steel.Hence the angular shaped compared to flat faced cermanic armour.

No there is additional armour attached to the original stuff which was slab sided. Take a look at the A's 1-5 and compare it to the 6

Regards the shaped armour issue.....If it is no longer in vogue why has the Leo A6 got shaped frontal armour? Those additional panels are hollow. I have seen the panels off the tank.

The leo and Leclerc use appligue not ceramics. Hence different needs to maximize protection. Appligue relies on depth/thickness to absorb/defeat the incoming fire. Ceramics relies on a much more focused impact; in effect defeating the attack at the point of impact.

If a car was a APFSDS the ceramics are the cement highway barriers that simply stop cars, while the appligue is the water or sand filled barrels that absorb the impact, and ballistic shaping is the steel guard rails that try and deflect impacts.

Three different concepts so three different needs to acheive the same result.

Zraver,

Are the supplemental reactive plates that comlplement the steel armor still pretty much just bolted on, or are there different techniques in place now? curious...

14 Arjun tanks to be inducted into army soon: JJ Singh
From our ANI Correspondent

New Delhi, Apr 5: Indian Army Chief General J J Singh today said that the Army would receive 14 Main Battle Tank (MBT) Arjun very soon.

"The minor problems of these tanks have been communicated to the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), which we hope will be rectified soon," General Singh said while inaugurating the Reunion of the Maratha Light Infantry (MARATHA LI).

Answering a question on the Advanced Light Helicopters, General Singh said that approximately 100 of these would be required in next three to five years.

On the Army's stance on Siachen, he stated that these have been communicated to the Government and the issue of Siachen will be taken up in the composite dialogue between the two nations, the outcome of which will be known in a few days.

Commenting on the level of forces and inflitration in Jammu and Kashmir, General Singh said that the postures and counter infiltration strategies also depended on seasons such as winter and summer. The Army's efforts are always directed to bring down the levels of violence and restore normalcy, he added.

As for other events relating to the Reunion, on Friday, a team of Pilots from the Indian Air Force (IAF) would perform Suryakiran display at Argan Talao.

Copyright Dailyindia.com/ANI

http://www.dailyindia.com/show/131188.php/14-Arjun-tanks-to-be-inducted-into-army-soon:-JJ-Singh .

I think Denil is a fraud and busted him out several times. NeRA i still under development by countrues with far more R&D funding and far less connection to Russia and thier ERA fixation.

TexasJohn, I am not sure how ERA is atached nowadays. Ask Vasily over on tank-net.

Arjun got so much publicity and so much support. WHAT happened to it. It sounds like it is been phased out.

Commenting on the entire article there are only 4 lines or so for the Arjun the rest blablah. Those lines arnt in favor of the Arjun.:toast:

I wish you would afford more clarity. I have no idea what you are trying to say. This is a pilot induction. But seriously, here is what I see happening.

The Indian Armored Corps ( just like Pakistan's) has built their entire fighting doctrine around the T series tanks. Smaller low silouette tanks require a different doctrine as compared to a NATO type tank (such as a Leo2, Abrams etc.). Commanders would have to think differently. This can only happen over time.

As a tank it appears to have some good capabilites, so I can't knock that. As far as fitting into the Armored Corps fighting doctrine, that remains to be seen.

I wish you would afford more clarity. I have no idea what you are trying to say. This is a pilot induction. But seriously, here is what I see happening.

The Indian Armored Corps ( just like Pakistan's) has built their entire fighting doctrine around the T series tanks. Smaller low silouette tanks require a different doctrine as compared to a NATO type tank (such as a Leo2, Abrams etc.). Commanders would have to think differently. This can only happen over time.

As a tank it appears to have some good capabilites, so I can't knock that. As far as fitting into the Armored Corps fighting doctrine, that remains to be seen.

Texas I think the if you read the article in question (which was posted by Malay in greater detail in another thread) that the good general was couching the induction with caveats. Such as "The minor problems of these tanks have been communicated to the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), which we hope will be rectified soon," and 14 is pretty much the same number of tanks they have had for a VERY long time now. (The prototypes)

I must agree Key, it would be interesting to see where the beast finally ends up!!:D

^^
Its not even finished yet I heard from a reliable source Arjun is going to be the next BattleStar Galactica.

Back
Top Bottom