What's new

Indian Submarine Acquisitions (Conventional)

Marshal

Reaction score
MUMBAI: India will soon float global tenders to acquire six submarines but would like to see indigenous development of this technology in the future, Navy chief Admiral Sureesh Mehta said on Friday.

These six submarines would be in addition to the Scorpene submarines, which the Indian navy is expected to acquire soon.

"In accordance with the plan to keep a certain number of submarines in the force, we will be acquiring six of one type (Scorpene) and six of another type," Mehta said at a press conference, marking the end of a two-day-long naval commanders' conference held here.

The development of Scorpene submarines had been delayed and it was now time to look for a second type of submarine, he said.

Mehta said, "We need to have indigenous capability for building these submarines and Indian Navy has been a strong proponent of indigenous development. Therefore, we would expect that our shipyards take over the technology from some of these companies and thereafter build it themselves."

The submarines for which tenders would be floated could also have vertical missile launch capabilities, he added.

The Indian Navy's requirement was small and, therefore, it presently could obtain the submarines from abroad, the admiral said, adding the navy was also hopeful of obtaining nuclear powered submarines in the future.

"The nuclear powered submarines could be equipped either with nuclear or conventional weapons. The present nuclear submarine project was being developed by Defence Research Development Organisation (DRDO)," he added.

http://http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/PoliticsNation/India_to_acquire_six_more_submarines/articleshow/3024705.cms

MUMBAI: India will soon float global tenders to acquire six submarines but would like to see indigenous development of this technology in the future, Navy chief Admiral Sureesh Mehta said on Friday.

These six submarines would be in addition to the Scorpene submarines, which the Indian navy is expected to acquire soon.

"In accordance with the plan to keep a certain number of submarines in the force, we will be acquiring six of one type (Scorpene) and six of another type," Mehta said at a press conference, marking the end of a two-day-long naval commanders' conference held here.

The development of Scorpene submarines had been delayed and it was now time to look for a second type of submarine, he said.

Mehta said, "We need to have indigenous capability for building these submarines and Indian Navy has been a strong proponent of indigenous development. Therefore, we would expect that our shipyards take over the technology from some of these companies and thereafter build it themselves."

The submarines for which tenders would be floated could also have vertical missile launch capabilities, he added.

The Indian Navy's requirement was small and, therefore, it presently could obtain the submarines from abroad, the admiral said, adding the navy was also hopeful of obtaining nuclear powered submarines in the future.

"The nuclear powered submarines could be equipped either with nuclear or conventional weapons. The present nuclear submarine project was being developed by Defence Research Development Organisation (DRDO)," he added.

http://http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/PoliticsNation/India_to_acquire_six_more_submarines/articleshow/3024705.cms

ur post is in the wrong section, it shuld be under Indian Military section!!!

good for India, for stating a new arms race:chilli:

hope to see these new submarines by 2025:rofl:

this is a old indian defence establishment policy.

if pak buys 1 of anything - buy twice as many for india - keep the numerical superiority. in this case pak gets 3 agostas - india orders 6 scorpenes - pak plans for 3 merlins or u-214s - india plans for 6 more.

this analysis stands true for AF and ARMY acquisitions. i will provide examples soon.

if pak buys 1 of anything - buy twice as many for india - keep the numerical superiority. in this case pak gets 3 agostas - india orders 6 scorpenes - pak plans for 3 merlins or u-214s - india plans for 6 more.

this analysis stands true for AF and ARMY acquisitions. i will provide examples soon.

The ratio of 2:1 is too less. It should be at least 7:1 considering the ratios of economies.

Are you saying that India is under spending on defense? ;)

The ratio of 2:1 is too less. It should be at least 7:1 considering the ratios of economies.

Are you saying that India is under spending on defense? ;)

No, India simply feels the ratio is enough for it's defence purposes.

Originally Posted by sohailbutt
good for India, for stating a new arms race:chilli:

hope to see these new submarines by 2025:rofl:

New arms race.......!!!! I thoght the arms race begun at the time of the Partition. this is not new and as far as this acqusition has concerned it is not Pakistan alone that India is eying...India is also looking at the rapid mordernisation of the chinease Navy. thats why the Indian Navy wants to inducut atleast 3 ATV before 2015, one of them has already been launched and also the two Akulas from Russia.

India to acquire six more submarines: Naval Chief
9 May, 2008, 1356 hrs IST, PTI

:: Bharat-Rakshak.com - Indian Military News Headlines ::

Which I guess you yet to understand properly because of complexsities.

if pak buys 1 of anything - buy twice as many for india - keep the numerical superiority.

Ah! IN doesn't even stated what type of submarine(conventional or Nucler) it will gona purchased, still you manage to draw this conclusion, now this nothing but a remarkable mystery.

in this case pak gets 3 agostas - india orders 6 scorpenes - pak plans for 3 merlins or u-214s - india plans for 6 more.

IN had already stated in the past that in addition to present acquisitions of 6 scorpeans, it will gona purchases 6 more type but didn't disclose what kind? it only goes on to show that your entire assessment of IN acquisition of eyeing PN's sub force is nothing but a false.

this analysis stands true for AF and ARMY acquisitions.

Kindly explain.

i will provide examples soon.

I am very eager to know about it.

Hey nobody can sell nuclear submarine to any country but it can be "leased". So As India is already building Scorpene so other could be U-214, Amur, any guessing?

In my view… the possible contenders…

German U-214, French Marlin, Russo-Italian Amur-related S1000 (unsure whether it will be the Amur or the S1000)…

Quiet a cocktail… I must say…

With regard to nuclear submarines... once the ATV (SSBN) is established... I doubt making an SSN would be that difficult...

Hey nobody can sell nuclear submarine to any country but it can be "leased". So As India is already building Scorpene so other could be U-214, Amur, any guessing?

U-214's already been evaluated throughly by PN, the deal will be finalised by year end.
Imho IN will take another 6 scorpene's instead of a new design.

U-214's already been evaluated throughly by PN, the deal will be finalised by year end.

Sorry mate,
Indian Navy chief Admiral Mehta has already cleared that the new acqusition of the secondline submarine fleet will be other than the scorpen and with that they also want the underwater missile launch capabilities as well.

I'm not so sure Neo... Check out the ToI report;

It says "The Naval chief also said the government will soon float global tenders for six conventional submarines, apart from the six French Scorpene being built at Mazgaon docks here.

'In accordance with the plan to keep a certain number of submarines in the force, we will be acquiring six of one type (Scorpene) and six of another type,' Mehta said at a press conference, marking the end of the two-day-long naval commanders' conference held here."

And if PN has chosen the U-214… if the Germans want the order badly... they will come up with something "better" (Agosta-Scorpene)... also its unclear whether the Amur or the S1000 will be in the fray… Marlin enjoys ease of logistics though…

I feel french are out of contention, as they have got scorpene deal, russians have too many orders on there bag, like T-90 Mig upgrade, Smerch launchers and PAK-FA so seems like germens are the best contenders, but this is all speculation, late navy come out with there specifications. But I think navy should make mandatory for all of them to integrate BrahMos. And regarding ATV, I agree with your point.

In my view… the possible contenders…

German U-214, French Marlin, Russo-Italian Amur-related S1000 (unsure whether it will be the Amur or the S1000)…

Quiet a cocktail… I must say…

With regard to nuclear submarines... once the ATV (SSBN) is established... I doubt making an SSN would be that difficult...

Ya you are right but one military analyst has conformed that India wont go for the separate SSN and SSBN like the other big Navy in the near future cuz simply we can not afford it. As far as the ATV has concerned it will only have the capability to launch the midium range cruise missiles so technicaly it is SSGN.

Back
Top Bottom