What's new

Indian soldiers in Singapore revolt in support of the Turks

That's what I meant when I said centuries back.

When it comes martial traditions, Pashtuns of Charsaddah, Peshwar etc. are very similar to Punjabis of Pothohar, Pindi, Jehlum etc.
Why limiting it to Charsada and Peshawer? martial traditions were characteristics of every Pashtun tribe, whether of plains or mountains.

Why limiting it to Charsada and Peshawer? martial traditions were characteristics of every Pashtun tribe, whether of plains or mountains.

Please note I am not talking about tribal warfare.

I am only referring to modern warfare. See my previous post on this.

Please note I am not talking about tribal warfare.

I am only referring to modern warfare. See my previous post on this.
You are contradicting yourself, you were saying that you are not referring to150 years ago
Soldier traditions go back centuries. Let's not limit them to 100 or 150 years.

Thank you.
When i referred to ghaznavids, ghauris, delhi sultanates, mughals, deccan sultanates and in afsharid dynasty periods.You said

That's what I meant when I said centuries back.

When it comes martial traditions, Pashtuns of Charsaddah, Peshwar etc. are very similar to Punjabis of Pothohar, Pindi, Jehlum etc.

It seems you are high on some thing. Surprisingly you are a think tank.

Some people like @ghoul are feeling pride for serving the Gora angrez and taunting the people who actually badly screwed the British East India company never to be trusted by Brits. :laugh:

Potoharis(described as "northern punjabis") were readily recruited into the British army because our chieftains had been bought off by handsome royalties. The Chib chieftains of Mirpur are still being paid yearly royalties, as I have heard. Besides that, we were at good terms with British from the very start and had actively helped John Nicholson in Attock and Hazara. Our chieftains were easily bought because they had been rendered fugitive and landless by the Sikhs; their sworn enemies. Baloch and Pashtun chieftains who were independent on the advent of british prevented their tribesmen to join the British army, even though they were labelled "martial" and actively sought.

Besides that, the British were very stringent with the recruitment process. They preferred Baloch, Pathan, Sikhs and "upper caste" Punjabi musalmans. I can talk best for Potoharis, and we were preferred because of our non-sedentary lifestyles, hunting skills(still strong), horse riding skill(northern Punjabis dominate the tent pegging in present day Punjab) and a violent history. Within Potohar, the recruitment was almost completely limited to rajputs, Gakkhars and Malik Awans. The Gujjars, Jatts and Dhund Abbasis(who fell out of favour due to their attempted rebellion in Murree) of Potohar were not recruited into the army at all before world war 2(in world war 2, they relaxed martial race theory even though Winston Churchill opposed the said relaxation).

From central and South Punjab, recruitment was mostly done from Kharrals, Sials and Tiwanas.

@INDIC: I don't take any pride in supporting them, but our forefathers had no choice. Had Sikhs and Dogras not attacked us, I don't think we would have joined them at all as they were not muslim. But the whole anti-brit rhetoric is rich, when it comes from the UP and Bihari people. You people served as cannon fodder for the East Indian company, who later on discarded you, declaring most of you non-martial "rapists". You were their very first a**lickers, who turned on their own countrymen.

Last edited:
@INDIC: I don't take any pride in supporting them, but our forefathers had no choice. Had Sikhs and Dogras not attacked us, I don't think we would have joined them at all as they were not muslim. But the whole anti-brit rhetoric is rich, when it comes from the UP and Bihari people. You people served as cannon fodder for the East Indian company, who later on discarded you, declaring most of you non-martial "rapists". You were their very first a**lickers, who turned on their own countrymen.

UP-Bihar people had guts to screw the East India company and I am happy British never trusted them. You can brag all day about hypothetical martial race invented exclude the people from UP-Bihar from getting recruited in army, nobody cares. ;)

UP-Bihar people had guts to screw the East India company and I am happy British never trusted them. You can brag all day about hypothetical martial race invented exclude the people from UP-Bihar from getting recruited in army, nobody cares. ;)

Yeah at first you guys helped them take over the whole sub-continent and then got all upset because of your salaries and made a sorry attempt at a rebellion, and now promoting yourselves as some sort of freedom fighters. Lol, what a joke.

Yeah at first you guys helped them take over the whole sub-continent and then got all upset because of your salaries and made a sorry attempt at a rebellion, and now promoting yourselves as some sort of freedom fighters. Lol, what a joke.

But you seems to be bragging about serving the gora angrez and getting the martial race tag. Nowhere I am supporting Goras. It is quite evident before British recruited Punjabis as a soldiers, most of them in Punjab except Sikhs were never into fighting. :lol::lol::lol:

Potoharis(described as "northern punjabis") were readily recruited into the British army because our chieftains had been bought off by handsome royalties. The Chib chieftains of Mirpur are still being paid yearly royalties. Besides that, we were at good terms with British from the very start and had actively helped John Nicholson in Attock and Hazara. Our chieftains were easily bought because they had been rendered fugitive and landless by the Sikhs; their sworn enemies. Baloch and Pashtun chieftains who were independent on the advent of british prevented their tribesmen to join the British army, even though they were labelled "martial" and actively sought.

Besides that, the British were very stringent with the recruitment process. They preferred Baloch, Pathan, Sikhs and "upper caste" Punjabi musalmans. I can talk best for Potoharis, and we were preferred because of our non-sedentary lifestyles, hunting skills(still strong), horse riding skill(northern Punjabis dominate the tent pegging in present day Punjab) and a violent history. Within Potohar, the recruitment was almost completely limited to rajputs, Gakkhars and Malik Awans. The Gujjars, Jatts and Dhund Abbasis(who fell out of favour due to their attempted rebellion in Murree) of Potohar were not recruited into the army at all before world war 2(in world war 2, they relaxed martial race theory even though Winston Churchill opposed the said relaxation).

From central and South Punjab, recruitment was mostly done from Kharrals, Sials and Tiwanas.

You have valid point here, relationships of Potoharis and Pashtuns of Peshawer/Kohat started on good note with British, due to much hated Sikh occupation. Just yesterday i was searching about Gandapurs of DI Khan and i found out that their chiefs sent contingents to support British in their wars with Sikhs and recieved titles of Khan Bahadur, obiously anti-sikh sentiments were involved.

KALU KHAN (of Kulachi), Khan Bahadur

The title was conferred on nth March 1859. The Khan Bahadur belongs to the family of the Chief of the Gandapur clan of the Kulachi country in the Dera Ismail Khan district of the Punjab, and belongs to the Bira Khel (Afghan) tribe. In the Multan campaign of 1848-49 Kalu Khan and his father AH Khan raised a force of several hundred men of the Bira Khel tribe of Afghans, and rendered excellent service throughout the second Sikh war, for which Kalu Khan received a large pension from Government. When the Mutiny of 1857 broke out, he immediately raised a force of 200 horse and 400 foot, and leaving 200 foot with the Deputy-Commissioner of Dera Ismail Khan for the posts on the Sulaimani border, he joined Sir Herbert Edwardes with the remaining 200 horse and 200 foot at Peshawar, where he served throughout the crisis with distinguished loyalty. For this he received a valuable khilat^ a perpetual jagir, and the title of Khan Bahadur.

Source: The golden book of India, a genealogical and biographical dictionary of the ruling princes, chiefs, nobles, and other personages, titled or decorated, of the Indian empire

But you seems to bragging about serving the gora angrez and getting the martial race tag. Nowhere I am supporting Goras. It is quite evident before British recruited Punjabis as a soldier, most of them in Punjab except Sikhs were never into fighting. :lol::lol::lol:

If it helps you sleep at night, then sure.

You have valid point here, relationships of Potoharis and Pashtuns of Peshawer/Kohat started on good note with British, due to much hated Sikh occupation. Just yesterday i was searching about Gandapurs of DI Khan and i found out that their chiefs sent contingents to support British in their wars with Sikhs and recieved titles of Khan Bahadur, obiously anti-sikh sentiments were involved.

KALU KHAN (of Kulachi), Khan Bahadur

The title was conferred on nth March 1859. The Khan Bahadur belongs to the family of the Chief of the Gandapur clan of the Kulachi country in the Dera Ismail Khan district of the Punjab, and belongs to the Bira Khel (Afghan) tribe. In the Multan campaign of 1848-49 Kalu Khan and his father AH Khan raised a force of several hundred men of the Bira Khel tribe of Afghans, and rendered excellent service throughout the second Sikh war, for which Kalu Khan received a large pension from Government. When the Mutiny of 1857 broke out, he immediately raised a force of 200 horse and 400 foot, and leaving 200 foot with the Deputy-Commissioner of Dera Ismail Khan for the posts on the Sulaimani border, he joined Sir Herbert Edwardes with the remaining 200 horse and 200 foot at Peshawar, where he served throughout the crisis with distinguished loyalty. For this he received a valuable khilat^ a perpetual jagir, and the title of Khan Bahadur.

Source: The golden book of India, a genealogical and biographical dictionary of the ruling princes, chiefs, nobles, and other personages, titled or decorated, of the Indian empire

The Gandapur and the Kundis are still the biggest landlords there if I'm not mistaken.

I don't get why West Punjabis take any pride in the martial race theory, barely any exclusively West Punjabi groups are included expect Awans. With Rajputs, the British even specified that they preferred the ones from Rajasthan and surrounding areas. With Jatts, they preferred Sikhs.

Some people like @ghoul are feeling pride for serving the Gora angrez and taunting the people who actually badly screwed the British East India company never to be trusted by Brits. :laugh:

Bhaiyas never had any guts to screw anyone. Those were Rohilla pashtuns.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom