What's new

Indian Navy to purchase 16 US multi-role choppers for $1 bn

Can this chopper fire torpedoes ?Are we buying some torpedoes along with these choppers if yes then which type? any idea.............
The S-70B is qualified to launch all variants of the Raytheon Mk46, Eurotorp A244 Mod 3, and Raytheon Mk54 Mod 1 torpedoes. P8i carries the Mk54 so good commonality for the Indian Navy. I led the team that integrated the Mk54 and you would not believe the capability of this weapon. It is awesome. Plus the job the Sikorsky team did in integrating it into the mission system to allow the aircrew to use and display all of its tactical capabilities is truly amazing. Not to mention, it is just really cool.

Last edited:
Wasn't Russia setting up some light helo Kamov factory in India ? I wonder ,what would be their utility .

thats for Light Utility Helicopters for Army and Airforce

this tender is for ASW Helis for Navy

this is not a partnership !
this is just a buyer -seller relationship ...

US will sell military equipment to most damned countries as far as it's own interests are not compromised .
It has been selling weapons to all and sundry ...

It is all about money for them ...to some extent objective is weaning India from other defense lenders and capture the market .

and if at all strengthen the US engagement with india as an added bonus .

this is however primarily about money !
Dude this is a Direct Commercial Sale! Of course it is about the money. Sikorsky is not in business for politics. But they do have some of the best helicopter products in the world so India wins as well. What's wrong with that? Any competitive vendor will try to outdo the competition. Nothing wrong with that either. As far as forming a partnership with India to manufacture the next batch in India, that's just good business as well!

india is damn rich for sure. after all, the profit margin of arm deal is larger than drug trafficking.
You have no clue about that of which you speak. Sure, Sikorsky will make a profit, but not like you portray it in the above post. I wish those on this thread that only see the $1 billion price tag and assume either corruption or huge profits would make comments that you can back up with facts or experience. I CAN! Not just spout nonsense that makes them look totally unprofessional.

Last edited:
Indeed Future isBright for Indo-American Ties that is if they don't play Sanction Sanction

Drones are good but not AWACS
They are very crucial system

Agreed > that is why the GoI/MoD has a long running policy to keep the AEWACS/ECM/ESM sytems under local control/development as far as possible. We will not see a US origin AEWACs in India. Recce Drones may come in but only for the IN. The other likely source is Israel, one that India is more comfortable with. India has all bases covered. ;)

Will 16+8 is enough for our navy, as i can see there are more than 20 warship who can accommodate this type of heli, and i am not counting ins vikramaditya,Jalaswa,ins Vikrant,etc. why not go for TOT and make some 100 nos. in the country as i think we badly need these heli.
@Abingdonboy,@sancho,@acetophenol,@sandy_3126,@trident2010,@Skull and Bones,@Capt.Popeye can all of you please put some light on this matter as this is the best heli in this category in the whole world and we should not miss this opportunity.

This is the initial order. Let some follow-on orders materialise (as they are likely to), then we can consider TOT. In any case TOT is a very-hyped and grossly misunderstood term, which can mean anything to anybody. Then again, Sikorsky will increase/augment their manufacture facility in India (with TATA) so we are likely to see more of the follow-on orders come from there (when they do).
The old model of TOT (which was sometimes only screw-driver assembly) is dying...... India will become a much larger Hub for Aerospace manufacturing activities going forward; to even rival the Automobile manufacturing...even to cater to the International market. I have said so on numerous posts on this Forum, and I say it again. Watch the next ten-year time-frame.

You have no clue about that of which you speak. Sure, Sikorsky will make a profit, but not like you portray it in the above post. I wish those on this thread that only see the $1 billion price tag and assume either corruption or huge profits would make comments that you can back up with facts or experience. I CAN! Not just spout nonsense that makes them look totally unprofessional.

Aww, give Pigfaker a break! He is just the kind to spew something just as a knee-jerk reaction.
Or is it only to get paid....... at 50c a throw?

Do you get paid to think?
Why did you come up with an unrelated absurd 'one-liner', then?
When entered in China's reform and opening up, China almost to a halt to military appropriations, the limited fundsare used in the people's livelihood. So I think now India too much money, but even now China for military investmenthead not in new weapons but in the improvement of army life. Come back my family went to the army after the

When entered in China's reform and opening up, China almost to a halt to military appropriations, the limited fundsare used in the people's livelihood. So I think now India too much money, but even now China for military investmenthead not in new weapons but in the improvement of army life. Come back my family went to the army after the

Nao Comprehende!

Dude this is a Direct Commercial Sale! Of course it is about the money. Sikorsky is not in business for politics. But they do have some of the best helicopter products in the world

True, do you have any infos, or are you able to talk about Sikorsky's coming projects like the S-97 or the JMR helicopter offer? If yes we can open a dedicated thread in the Air Warfare section, would be highly interested in more infos on these developments.

Back
Top Bottom