What's new

Indian Navy to purchase 16 US multi-role choppers for $1 bn

Indeed Future isBright for Indo-American Ties that is if they don't play Sanction Sanction

Future is indeed bright for Indo-American ties. I foresee an even better/stronger partnership in the coming years/decades. India and U.S have more common interests than say India and Russia these days, Moreover it was the U.S who got a waiver for India in the nuclear supplier group despite stiff opposition from several european/aAsian countries, which opened India to world nuclear trade. There are many more things in which India can work with the U.S and bothe benefit from it. I dont foresee any sanction from the U.S against India, as far as India doesnt start going beserk and stand overtly against the U.S or invade/attack U.S military base in Indian ocean like Diego Garcia or take other aggressive messures against U.S interests. I don't foresee any of that ever happening for a long time to come. So India's interests with the West/U.S/Israel/Japan match for now, so India should rightly seize the opportunity ti get closer to these countries and develop a lasting partnership. After all each country follows their interests not some delusional 'old friendship' with an old ally.:D:cheers:

Future is indeed bright for Indo-American ties. I foresee an even better/stronger partnership in the coming years/decades. India and U.S have more common interests than say India and Russia these days, Moreover it was the U.S who got a waiver for India in the nuclear supplier group despite stiff opposition from several european/aAsian countries, which opened India to world nuclear trade. There are many more things in which India can work with the U.S and bothe benefit from it. I dont foresee any sanction from the U.S against India, as far as India doesnt start going beserk and stand overtly against the U.S or invade/attack U.S military base in Indian ocean like Diego Garcia or take other aggressive messures against U.S interests. I don't foresee any of that ever happening for a long time to come. So India's interests with the West/U.S/Israel/Japan match for now, so India should rightly seize the opportunity ti get closer to these countries and develop a lasting partnership. After all each country follows their interests not some delusional 'old friendship' with an old ally.:D:cheers:

Agreed there are a lot of issues where West & India can cooperate but at the same time we must take Russia into confidence that this new partnership is not directed against them & our relation with them will not get affected in any way

The IN is looking at the EC-725 as part of the IN's requirement for 12 tonne NMRHS to fly from the IN's future LPHs/LPDs but the EC-725 wasn't part of this tender. This tender was for a 10 tonne NMRH for which the NH-90 and S-70B were the only two contenders.
Can this chopper fire torpedoes ?Are we buying some torpedoes along with these choppers if yes then which type? any idea.............

Good for china india keeps buying china keeps building. Heck china should rachet up tensions and india blows billions and china use that to spend more. I think china should test fly j-20 in Tibet and watch india run to us again. Lol

and here come joker.............Please do not post one liner without any substance.........

Can this chopper fire torpedoes ?Are we buying some torpedoes along with these choppers if yes then which type? any idea.............
Indeed it can:

tormentor4555.jpg

It can carry two Mk.46 homing torpedoes.

Not sure if it can carry the Mk.54 torpedoes the IN's P-8Is use ( @Rikbo ?).

Thanks for the patronizing lesson I didn't need.
Try someone else next time.

@Abingdonboy is a true gentleman ..rarest of its kind of species on PDF .

Do not be so rude to him ...
He is just trying to make a point .

I too believe 16 helos for price of 1 billion $ tag is too costly ...

But then we do not have to be so defensive if somebody tries to defend their side .

so excited about India US Partnership!

this is not a partnership !
this is just a buyer -seller relationship ...

US will sell military equipment to most damned countries as far as it's own interests are not compromised .
It has been selling weapons to all and sundry ...

It is all about money for them ...to some extent objective is weaning India from other defense lenders and capture the market .

and if at all strengthen the US engagement with india as an added bonus .

this is however primarily about money !

Will 16+8 is enough for our navy, as i can see there are more than 20 warship who can accommodate this type of heli, and i am not counting ins vikramaditya,Jalaswa,ins Vikrant,etc. why not go for TOT and make some 100 nos. in the country as i think we badly need these heli.
@Abingdonboy,@sancho,@acetophenol,@sandy_3126,@trident2010,@Skull and Bones,@Capt.Popeye can all of you please put some light on this matter as this is the best heli in this category in the whole world and we should not miss this opportunity.

Will 16+8 is enough for our navy

No of course not, but they serve the immediate need to replace some of the older ASW helicopters. The total need was around 60 to replace all older ASW helicopters, but with IN's surface fleet growing, the requirement can go up to something arount 100. That's why a seperate naval helicopter tender is out, which however is aimed at the licence production in India and which reportedly might be scrapped and re-issued for the Make in India policy, so get delayed again.
It was expected that the 2 vendors which contested in this ASW tender, were also the most likely choices for the bigger tender and that the winner here has the best chances to win the larger order too. That however is now the really interesting part and where the US has to prove that they getting more along our lines.
Buying a small number of US ASW helis is not an issue and similar to all US procurements that we made (costly, but capable and without making our forces operationally dependent on the US because of the small numbers). But all big ticket tenders where the US defence industry participated, where constantly lost because of ToT / offset issues and US export laws and we need to see how things changes to pave the way for more helicopters.

india is damn rich for sure. after all, the profit margin of arm deal is larger than drug trafficking.

and the race between India's buying and Iran's inventing new military equipment goes on. lets see who wins next week

Will 16+8 is enough for our navy, as i can see there are more than 20 warship who can accommodate this type of heli, and i am not counting ins vikramaditya,Jalaswa,ins Vikrant,etc. why not go for TOT and make some 100 nos. in the country as i think we badly need these heli.
@Abingdonboy,@sancho,@acetophenol,@sandy_3126,@trident2010,@Skull and Bones,@Capt.Popeye can all of you please put some light on this matter as this is the best heli in this category in the whole world and we should not miss this opportunity.
I don't know where this 8 figure has come from mate. The deal is for 16 with an option for 44 more helos so this first deal is for 60 units. Even 60 is not enough and the IN has another RFI for more NMRHs but with slightly different requirements (now the weight of the airframe has been increased to 12 tonnes) so other helos can bid (CH-148 Cyclone , EC-725 and AW-101). It has been speculated these larger helos will fly from the IN's LPH/LPD and ACCs.

Had posted a wrong link earlier, check this out Abingdonboy

TURKEY - Turkish Navy to buy US torpedoes

Good stuff! I thought I heard something about this. A real bonus for the IN that their ASW helos and MPAs will have commonality where possible.

Back
Top Bottom