What's new

Indian Navy : Other Ops - HADR, NEO, MIO, PSO, MRSO

PARIKRAMA

Reaction score
Country
India
upload_2016-3-9_16-36-43.png

Indian Navy: Other Ops - HADR, NEO, MIO, PSO, MRSO

The idea is to share about the other operations of Indian Navy which are rarely highlighted but plays a critical importance in our naval doctrine.. A very brief gist on these topics for ready reckoning.

Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief Operations (HADR)
  • The IOR and its hinterland form the locus of about 70% of the world’s natural disasters, resulting from earthquakes, tsunamis, cyclones and floods.
  • The Indian Navy has been at the forefront of HADR operations in coastal areas over the past decade, both in India and in the maritime neighbourhood.
  • The Indian Navy will, accordingly, maintain credible HADR capability, and also promote capability development and coordination between regional navies for combined HADR operations.
  • Towards this, as part of IONS (Indian Ocean Naval Symposium) initiatives in 2014, the Indian Navy assumed the chair of the IONS Working Group (IWG) on HADR, which has formulated a way ahead for developing coordinated HADR response amongst IOR navies.
upload_2016-3-9_16-21-49.png

Non-combatant Evacuation Operations. (NEO)
  • There are large numbers of Indian citizens working and residing overseas in areas that have been, and remain susceptible to, instability and insecurity.
  • Consequently, the Indian Navy has undertaken several NEO (Non-combatant Evacuation Operation) in recent years, in coordination with other national agencies, providing succour to both Indian and foreign nationals.
  • The Indian Navy will remain prepared to conduct NEO, on directions from the Government of India, to strengthen maritime security in our areas of interest.

Few of the NEOs in a nutshell

upload_2016-3-9_16-22-28.png

Maritime Interdiction Operations. (MIO)
  • The Indian Navy will remain prepared to undertake MIO, as required, to stop movement of vessels that jeopardise India’s maritime security interests, to prevent their reaching the intended destination.
  • Conduct of MIO would be based on specific intelligence or security conditions and in accordance with applicable laws, to prevent or counter movement of maritime threats in the region.
  • This may include operations in support of friendly nations on their request to the Government of India.
  • These operations may be conducted independently, in joint action with the Indian Coast Guard and other armed forces, or in coordination with maritime forces of friendly countries.
Peace Support Operations. (PSO)
  • The Indian Navy will also remain prepared to contribute to PSO mandated by the United Nations, and as directed by the Government of India.
  • The Indian Navy has contributed to UN Humanitarian Relief Operations in Somalia, from 1992 to 1994, by conducting seaward patrols, transportation of humanitarian aid, and de-induction of Indian Army troops on completion of their UN PSO mission.
Maritime Search and Rescue Operations. (MSRO)
upload_2016-3-9_16-26-47.png

• The Indian Coast Guard is the National Maritime Search and Rescue Coordinating Authority for SAR missions in the Indian Search and Rescue Region (ISRR).
  • It has established Maritime Search and Rescue Coordination Centres (MRCCs) at Mumbai, Chennai and Port Blair, and the Indian Maritime Search and Rescue computerised ship reporting system called INDSAR, for ships transiting through the ISRR.
  • Maritime-SAR efforts are supported by the Indian Navy and Air Force, in addition to all other maritime agencies in the ISRR.
  • The obligation of ships to assist vessels in distress and safety of life at sea is enshrined in tradition and endorsed in international law, vide the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) 1974.
  • This has been augmented by an international treaty covering the responsibilities of governments, with emphasis on regional approach and coordination vide the International Convention on Maritime Search and Rescue (SAR Convention), 1979, with revised Annex 1998.
  • India acceded to the Convention in May 2001.

Source:

@MilSpec @AUSTERLITZ @Taygibay @Vauban @SpArK @nair @scorpionx @Abingdonboy @Levina @knight11 @ni8mare @ranjeet @cerberus @Ankit Kumar @Spectre @surya kiran @Roybot @Water Car Engineer @Penguin @WAJsal @Icarus @Slav Defence @Nihonjin1051 @Armstrong @Chinese-Dragon @jhungary @Joe Shearer @others

Last edited:
India's SRR is 4.6 MILLION Sq KM :o::o:

The IN and ICG need to start inducting some long range SAR aviation assets and in large quantaties ASAP.

@PARIKRAMA @anant_s

Even i saw that figure and its from official IN book so its authentic.. So yes , we need to induct many SAR assets.. I will come up with some projections soon in a separate thread...

The Indian Navy is interested in purchasing between 15 to 18 [Shin Meiwa] US-2 Amphibious Search and Rescue aircraft at a cost of $1.65 billion. It is expected that these amphibious aircraft will be stationed in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.

US-2_9903-2.JPG

Japan-to-deliver-12-amphibious-aircraft-to-Indian-Navy.jpg

India has sought from the US 100 latest unmanned aerial vehicles, both armed and surveillance versions, worth USD 2 billion to bolster its arsenal amid recurring incursions by Chinese troops.

Industry sources familiar with New Delhi's interest and ongoing talks between the two governments, said that India is interested in the latest Avenger drones, which is basically an unmanned combat air vehicle, and is mainly being sought with an eye on China.

India had requested for the latest Avenger drones, which is basically an unmanned combat air vehicle, and is mainly being sought after, with an eye on China. It has also sought Predator XP category which is a surveillance version for internal security issues and terrorist threats.

"Predator-series RPA could provide a world-class Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) capability for India which would include both high-definition radar and Electro-optical/Infrared (EO/IR) coverage along India's borders," Mr Lall said in response to a question.

Additionally, the RPA can perform humanitarian aid/disaster relief surveillance over both land and sea, said Lall, who had previously played a key role in US sale of high tech military assets to India during his stint at Boeing.
The aircraft can perform wide-area surveillance along India's extensive terrestrial and marine borders

Predator-series RPA may be integrated with multiple ISR sensors, including state-of-the-art EO / IR cameras and GA-ASI's Lynx Multi-mode Radar which features a state-of-the-art Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) mode that offers all-weather, day/night performance for a wide-area search capability.

Its Ground Moving Target Indicator (GMTI) mode provides a quick and easy method for locating moving vehicles, he said. The radar's Maritime Wide Area Search (MWAS) mode provides the capability to complete a variety of maritime missions successfully, including coastal surveillance, long-range surveillance, small target detection, and search and rescue operations.
With Eye On China, India Seeks 100 Armed Drones From US

Avenger_sunriset_takeoff.jpg
Predator C Avenger RPA

PREDUAS%20FLIGHT%20012_for_review.jpg

Predator XP RPA

India Northrop Grumman has also proposed the MQ-4C to India; the Indian Navy have considered the UAV in a complementary role to the 12 Boeing P-8I Poseidons maritime patrol aircraft it has on order.
Northrop Grumman MQ-4C Triton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MQ-4C_Triton_flight_testing.jpg

heron_tp_iai_6.jpg

The Heron UAV System is an operational fourth generation long-endurance medium-altitude system based on leading-edge technology with new fully automatic take-off and landing features. It provides deep-penetration, wide-area, real-time intelligence to national agencies, theater commanders and lower echelons. The Heron provides ample modular space up to 250 kg for customer furnished equipment, is interoperable with other MALAT UAV systems and has demonstrated 52 hours of continuous flight.

The Heron UAV system has been developed by IAI / Malat, to carry out strategic reconnaissance and surveillance. Initially deployed with the Indian defense forces, for high altitude land surveillance and maritime patrol missions, the Heron has been acquired by the Israel Air Force and Turkish defense Forces, for similar applications.

India has renewed interest in buying unmanned spy planes from Israel for deployment on its borders with Pakistan and China. A deal with Israel Aircraft Industries (IAI) for the purchase of 50 Heron aircraft that can mount a remote surveillance of the ground from a height of 20,000 feet is in advanced stage of negotiation.

The Indian Army sign the contract for the Heron unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) after identifying the Israeli aircraft as the best for use in the Himalayas. Other bidder's UAVs failed in the height test.

The Indian Army already has a fleet of 12 Heron UAVs and their efficiency has been established beyond doubt, source said. They point out that a deal worth over $210 million was almost struck in early 2004 but it fell through because of the change of government at the centre.

The present political leadership has been convinced by the drone's value after they played a crucial part in search and rescue operations following the Indian Ocean tsunami in December last year. Israeli-made Searcher and Heron UAVs were used to locate trapped survivors and missing bodies, primarily in the region of the Andaman and Nicobar islands. Since these UAVs are able to relay clear photographs while in flight, the Indian Air Force was able to dispatch rescue helicopters as soon as a survivor or victims were identified on screen via a live feed.

Rustom H,
the Rustom-H, that owes nothing to Burt Rutan's design. It is a Medium-Altitude Long-Endurance Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (MALE UAV), a twin engine system designed to carry out surveillance and reconnaissance missions. It is being developed for all three services of Indian Armed Forces. DRDO and the services have been interacting extensively to arrive at a mutually acceptable qualitative requirement that would meet the long-term requirements of the services. Rustom is supposed to match the performance and requirements of similar international UAVs such as the Heron.

Rustom 2
To be an advanced version of Rustom-1/H, the medium altitude unmanned aerial vehicle (Male UAV), Rustom-2 would have a wing-span of 21-odd metres and an endurance of 24-hours-plus, as against seven-odd metres an 12-15 hours of Rustom-1, which has already completed five flights. Rustom-2 would have new payloads such as synthetic aperture radar, maritime patrol radar and collision avoidance system, among others. With its capability and the amount of payload it can carry, Rustom-2 compares with American Predator drones and other class of vehicles,"
India's Current & Future UAVs & UCAVs | Indian Defence Forum

See also

Indian Navy seeks to purchase 50 shipborne drones - Naval Technology

Equipping Drones for At-Sea Search and Rescue - Practical Sailor Print Edition Article

1356520_Wallpaper1.jpg

20140501+FTB+Handing+over.jpg

Even i saw that figure and its from official IN book so its authentic.. So yes , we need to induct many SAR assets.. I will come up with some projections soon in a separate thread...

I was not notified on this thread..........probably because you put me all the way back in the mention list

Maybe Indian Navy should model their SAR branch to the US Coast Guard??

749px-HC-144A_Ocean_Sentry_(2).jpg

USCG_HC-130_Hercules.jpg

USCG_MH-65C_Helicopter_6608_photo_D_Ramey_Logan.jpg

800px-US_Coast_Guard_helicopter_rescue_demonstration.jpg

MH68_USCG.jpg

I was not notified on this thread..........probably because you put me all the way back in the mention list

Whoa !!! :o:
No way sir, i thought all will get notification.. Not my intention to put your name in the back..

I will keep in my mind to put your name more in front in future surely...

@WAJsal : A bit help needed.. as you see alerts not going for mass tagging.. Should i limit to just 5 per post for alerts or alert system is not working properly..

+++
On topic the fourth pic is Sikorsky HH-60 Jayhawk (if i am correct) then
Third one is Eurocopter HH-65 Dolphin
Second one looks like a C130
First one is HC-144 Ocean Sentry patrol aircraft

Importantly all are basically in US Coast Guard..So basically a well planned doctrine followed by a dedicated budget and well placed sourcing of assets, training and execution. At present our fleet is old and capability wise much limited.. If you see pictures below, you will understand why there is a limitation.

This is where IN and ICG is having issues..

As much as we like we have Do 228 taking on the roles of HC-144.. We have 38s of this bird
366545-coast-guard700.jpg

Then old warhorses like
India-Japan-coastguard.jpg

Chetak 18 nos

DHRUV+HELICOPTER+DTN.jpg

and new ones like Dhruv 4 nos

Our plan is 38 more nos by 2020

The expansion plan will see the maritime security force acquire Advanced Light Helicopters (ALH), Twin-engine Helicopters and Maritime Multi-mission Surveillance Aircraft (MMSA).

In the next few months, ICG is going to sign a contract with Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) for procuring 16 ALHs,

upload_2016-3-10_19-3-44.jpeg

ICG is also exploring options to buy 14 twin-engine heavy helicopters. The Coast Guard is eyeing choppers of Airbus Helicopters but it may take a couple of years to actually acquire these as a proposal in this regard is pending with the Ministry of Defence.

Here i quote

"We have been looking to procure twin-engine helicopters that can help in making long trips in the sea. The current Chetak helicopters do not have the ability to go deep over the sea. The twin-engine helicopters can make longer trips.

The Coast Guard is also looking for six more Maritime Multi-mission Surveillance Aircraft. However, CG is waiting for the Indian Air Force to be ready with a proposal as it wants to buy the aircraft together.

Coast Guard To Induct 38 More Aircraft And Helicopters By 2020

Whoa !!! :o:
No way sir, i thought all will get notification.. Not my intention to put your name in the back..

I will keep in my mind to put your name more in front in future surely...

@WAJsal : A bit help needed.. as you see alerts not going for mass tagging.. Should i limit to just 5 per post for alerts or alert system is not working properly..

+++
On topic the fourth pic is Sikorsky HH-60 Jayhawk (if i am correct) then
Third one is Eurocopter HH-65 Dolphin
Second one looks like a C130
First one is HC-144 Ocean Sentry patrol aircraft

Importantly all are basically in US Coast Guard..So basically a well planned doctrine followed by a dedicated budget and well placed sourcing of assets, training and execution. At present our fleet is old and capability wise much limited.. If you see pictures below, you will understand why there is a limitation.

This is where IN and ICG is having issues..

As much as we like we have Do 228 taking on the roles of HC-144.. We have 38s of this bird
366545-coast-guard700.jpg

Then old warhorses like
India-Japan-coastguard.jpg

Chetak 18 nos

DHRUV+HELICOPTER+DTN.jpg

and new ones like Dhruv 4 nos

Our plan is 38 more nos by 2020

The expansion plan will see the maritime security force acquire Advanced Light Helicopters (ALH), Twin-engine Helicopters and Maritime Multi-mission Surveillance Aircraft (MMSA).

In the next few months, ICG is going to sign a contract with Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) for procuring 16 ALHs,

View attachment 297735

ICG is also exploring options to buy 14 twin-engine heavy helicopters. The Coast Guard is eyeing choppers of Airbus Helicopters but it may take a couple of years to actually acquire these as a proposal in this regard is pending with the Ministry of Defence.

Here i quote

"We have been looking to procure twin-engine helicopters that can help in making long trips in the sea. The current Chetak helicopters do not have the ability to go deep over the sea. The twin-engine helicopters can make longer trips.

The Coast Guard is also looking for six more Maritime Multi-mission Surveillance Aircraft. However, CG is waiting for the Indian Air Force to be ready with a proposal as it wants to buy the aircraft together.

Coast Guard To Induct 38 More Aircraft And Helicopters By 2020

I don't know bud. Sometime I just don't get notified.

From Top to Bottom

HC-144 (CASA C-235)
HC-130
HH-65 Dolphin
HH-60 Jayhawk
MH-68 (AW109) Stingray

The US Coast Guard is significantly different between US Navy in the role of SAR, the former based most of their asset as land based (Both HC-130 and HC-144 were based in Coast Guard Station) while the shipborne Helicopter (mostly HH-65 and HH-60) are both reinforce and refuelled with Land based asset, thus increasing their operational range.

Coast Guard asset seldom cross platform into Naval Asset, although cross platform capability are kept (Which mean Navy SH-60 can operate on Coast Guard Cutter and CG HH-60 can operate on any Naval Ship) The separation means they can maximize their asset capability and perform their task independently.

US have one of the longest coastline and coastal water to look after, the performance of USCG is somehow in someway exceed that of the Navy. And while Navy would be the preset agency for Naval Rescue, almost all civil rescue are performed by United States Coast Guard.

Another fun fact about USCG is that the CG is the only force that allow Female in all of their post, and as of 2016, 3 women served in USCG Special Operation Branch - The Coast Guard Rescue Swimmer. Along with EOD unit, which were the only 2 Special Operation unit that fielded Female member in the United States Armed Forces

1455581785551.jpg

Maybe Indian Navy should model their SAR branch to the US Coast Guard??
The Indian Navy isn't the nodal SAR agency in India(just like the USN isn't for the US), that is the Indian Coast Guard. It is te ICG that will follow a UCG-like model in the future.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom