What's new

Indian Navy News & Discussions

20 Navy & 30 Coast Guard.
I dont think P8i is much of a use for near the coast. Its main use is anti submarine warfare which is actually deep sea operations which fall under CG but because of Lakshadweep and AN islands our coast goards are roaming in deep sea also.
Although 50 would be huge but good.

As with the P-8I, the navy has specified in the RFI that certain pieces of equipment must be indigenous, like Identification Friend or Foe Interrogator with Secure Mode, MSS Terminal, BFE, Datalink and Speech Secrecy Equipment and vendors must indicate their commitment to integrate this equipment into the aircraft.

:smokin:

P-8I and all other aircrafts will have all these key communication equipments only Indian. US is denying some equipments in the name of CISMOA but India don't care about them as we must have all the crucial communication systems indigenous. This is very important.

maybe navy will add more P8i after they get the first one...

They have to try it with their own hands....

For our coastline we need at least 25 of them.....

and some 20 Nuke submarines in future

Beriev Be 200 could be a good option. Its well proven.

beriev-200-3.jpg

Northrop Grumman in race for Navy aircraft order
Mahesh Kulkarni / Bangalore February 08, 2011, 0:50 IST

E-2D_Hawkeyes_in_flight_c2009.JPG

Northrop Grumman Corporation (NGC), the US-based $34.9-billion global security systems and technology provider, is pitching for the Indian Navy’s order for surveillance aircraft and high altitude long-range unmanned aerial vehicles.

“The Indian Navy had invited a request for information (RFI) in the middle of last year and we submitted our RFIs to them. We have submitted quotes for E-2D Advanced Hawkeye, airborne early warning and control aircraft. We are now waiting for the RFPs to be issued by the Indian Navy,” Northrop Grumman India managing Director, Gyanendra Sharma, said.

Talking to Business Standard, Sharma said that Northrop Grumman has been trying to secure the ministry of defence’s orders for its products and technologies over the last four years. When the Navy came out with an RFI for surveillance aircraft last year, Northrop Grumman was one of the contenders, he said.

The Navy intends to procure four surveillance aircraft. If Northrop Grumman wins the Navy order, India will be the second country in the world to fly the E-2D Advanced Hawkeye. Currently, only the US Navy uses one such aircraft, which completed its landing aboard the USS Truman (aircraft carrier) and began carrier suitability tests on February 3, 2011.

The Indian Navy is planning to acquire 6-8 medium-range airborne early warning surveillance aircraft and high altitude long-range UAVs. The ministry of defence had floated RFIs for the surveillance aircraft and UAVs. While specifications for the medium-range surveillance aircraft require an operating range of over 350 nautical miles, the requirements for the UAV include a service ceiling above 40,000 feet and endurance of over 25 hours.

The Navy’s requirements for surveillance aircraft assumed importance in the wake of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks, in which Pakistan-based terrorists used the sea route to reach Indian soil.

Tom C Trudell, manager, international business development, NGC, said “We have an order from the US Navy for supplying 75 E-2D Advanced Hawkeye aircraft over a period of 12 years. So far, we have delivered five aircraft, of which one has been commissioned and other four are under tests.” He also added that apart from India, Northrop Grumman also plans to supply E-2D aircraft to the United Arab Emirates.

The aircraft is capable of scanning a large area, detecting smaller objects and processing information quickly. The aircraft crew will be able to carry out these tasks through improved all-glass cockpits and tactical operator stations. The aircraft has a surveillance range of 300 nautical miles and can detect ships at a distance of 200 miles. However, E-2D would need to have a catapult-equipped aircraft carrier. Currently, the Indian Navy does not have such an aircraft carrier, Trudell noted.

Source: Business Standard

Its an old news. Apart from this Fire Scout was even cleared by US for sale to IN. But no further reports are there in both cases.

Indian Navy Interested in Northrop Grumman MQ-4C Maritime Surveillance Unmanned Aircraft Systems

ai_bams.jpg

In the build up to Aero India 2011, Northrop Grumman revealed to media personnel that they received and have responded to the Request for Information (RFI) from the Ministry of Defence for MQ-4C Broad Area Maritime Surveillance Unmanned Aircraft Systems (BAMS UAS) for the Indian Navy.

They have obtained necessary clearances from U.S. Government and have also briefed U.S. Navy on the same. Mr. Walter Kreitler, Director of BAMS UAS programmed told India Defence (Indian Defense News and Networking | India Defence) that he feels that U.S. Navy and Indian Navy have very similar operational roles and requirements. Since the Indian Navy will be operating Boeing P-8I aircrafts in a maritime surveillance role, MQ-4C will fit in very well to complement surveillance operations.

MQ-4C is naval version of RQ-4 Global Hawk and has not received any name yet.

Northrop Grumman showed interest to offer MQ-8B Fire Scout UAV to India Navy. MQ-8B is smaller than Chetak helicopter in service with Indian Navy. Fire Scout can be operated from any ship capable of handling conventional helicopter. In addition to conventional military roles, MQ-8B has potential for homeland security and law enforcement use as well.

From NorthropGrumman.com
The United States Navy's MQ-4C Broad Area Maritime Surveillance (BAMS) Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) program provides persistent maritime Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (ISR) data collection and dissemination capability to the Maritime Patrol and Reconnaissance Force (MPRF). The MQ-4C BAMS UAS is a multi-mission system to support strike, signals intelligence, and communications relay as an adjunct to the MMA/P-3 community to enhance manpower, training and maintenance efficiencies worldwide.

The MQ-4C BAMS UAS, at full operational capability, will provide ISR persistence over large maritime distances for long periods of time for up to five simultaneous orbits worldwide. The MQ-4C BAMS UAS missions include, but are not limited to, maritime surveillance, collection of enemy order of battle information, battle damage assessment, port surveillance, communication relay, and support of the following missions - maritime interdiction, surface warfare, battlespace management, and targeting for maritime and littoral strike missions.

Indian Navy Interested in Northrop Grumman MQ-4C Maritime Surveillance Unmanned Aircraft Systems | India Defence

I heard India is in talk with UK's BAE Systems for Type 26 frigates. It was written in the end of an article. So, this means P17a might go to BAE system ?// I hope we also consider swordfish type of DCNS.

I heard India is in talk with UK's BAE Systems for Type 26 frigates. It was written in the end of an article. So, this means P17a might go to BAE system ?// I hope we also consider swordfish type of DCNS.

With the DM officially saying that IN will not import new vessles, this is doubtful.

With the DM officially saying that IN will not import new vessles, this is doubtful.
No, it will not work this way. Both P17a (stealth frigate) and P28a (ASW corvette) will include selection of a foreign shipyard (specifically a design) which would then be built in Indian shipyard.

Earlier it was decided that 2 of the 7 frigates of P17a were supposed to be built in foreign shipyard and remaining in GRSE and MDL. Actually it was IN proposal because it is for the first time that modular design technique would be used and through this the employees can get training. But our overconfident shipyards insisted that they can build all of them within the country. Most propably DCNS was the front-runner. It already has a tie-up with GRSE and it will be the first project of JV. But now BAE is in the picture , although RFI was send to many firms.

Does anyone have any updates on the trails and evalutaions of medium naval helos?? I heard the MH/SH-60s were the favorites. Any idea of the numbers or delivery date?? I mean the IN is a bout to start inductin $1bn warships (P-17) and more and more CBGs so the need is pressing. It is ridiculous that one of the most powerful and up-and-coming navies in the world still uses 30-40yr old helos (Chetaks/Sea Kings) on state-of-th-art ships!!

Does anyone have any updates on the trails and evalutaions of medium naval helos?? I heard the MH/SH-60s were the favorites. Any idea of the numbers or delivery date?? I mean the IN is a bout to start inductin $1bn warships (P-17) and more and more CBGs so the need is pressing. It is ridiculous that one of the most powerful and up-and-coming navies in the world still uses 30-40yr old helos (Chetaks/Sea Kings) on state-of-th-art ships!!
P 17s have already begun induction. But what you say is true. It's really sad we rely on sea kins and kamovs today.

Does anyone have any updates on the trails and evalutaions of medium naval helos?? I heard the MH/SH-60s were the favorites.
The deal was actually for 16 helos for 1 billion$ and number was most likely to cross 60. Although it was reported that test were done but then due to our usual delays the deal could not be sealed and in Aug 2010 the deal was expired, now the fresh bids will be submitted by vendors but i don't know when.

While the technical evaluation has been wrapped up, Indian Navy is yet to pursue the Flight Evaluation Trials for the two contenders.

In short the same story as in all cases. First the force put forward the demand in front of MOD then after couple of years sitting on that file, the request is accepted, then RFI is issued, followed by technical evaluation which is send back to MOD, which sleeps on it and by the time they wake up the deal is expired. Then the same process starts again until the deal is signed a couple of years after.

I don't get it, why we blame HAL and DRDO for delays when they are actually building the products, while we are not even able to maintain the time-frame for the shopping of the products ??/

The deal was actually for 16 helos for 1 billion$ and number was most likely to cross 60. Although it was reported that test were done but then due to our usual delays the deal could not be sealed and in Aug 2010 the deal was expired, now the fresh bids will be submitted by vendors but i don't know when.

While the technical evaluation has been wrapped up, Indian Navy is yet to pursue the Flight Evaluation Trials for the two contenders.

In short the same story as in all cases. First the force put forward the demand in front of MOD then after couple of years sitting on that file, the request is accepted, then RFI is issued, followed by technical evaluation which is send back to MOD, which sleeps on it and by the time they wake up the deal is expired. Then the same process starts again until the deal is signed a couple of years after.

I don't get it, why we blame HAL and DRDO for delays when they are actually building the products, while we are not even able to maintain the time-frame for the shopping of the products ??/

FFS! It seems whereever you look on this site (under India defence) all you see is beauracatic delay after delay!! I mean the money is there. The young men who are willing to use the new equipment to fight for their country are there. The means and tech is there (ADA, HAL, BEL,DRDO,NAL etc).The will from the services is there. What is it going to take for the MOD to get off their a$$ and do some WORK!

Back
Top Bottom