What's new

Indian Navy News & Discussions

Some infos on the Varuna 2011 exercise of Indian and French navy that I got on an other forum:

From the CdG blog...

Indian side, the carrier Viraat, 4 Sea Harrier fighters, 3 Seaking helicopters and an Alouette, and Charles de Gaulle, with his board, the carrier battle group consisting of 12 SEM, 9 Rafale F3, Hawkeye 2 and 4 helicopters. In addition to two carriers, the force consisted of two frigates and Godavari Ganga Indian, the submarine Shalk and a Dornier 28 (maritime patrol aircraft). French side, the frigates Forbin and Tourville, nuclear attack and the tanker Meuse participated in the exercise.

The French and Indian forces have conducted various trainings, such as submarine detection, the fight against surface ships, air combat and air defense. Varuna has also enabled units to conduct training on landing, to put their aircraft on other ships/B] and fight against illicit trafficking at sea.

So only 4 x Sea harriers were available, which imo shows how worse the situation is and although air combats and air defense was trained, it seems only the Sea Harriers had attended, which is a shame and IAF missed a good chance to give Jaguars, or MKIs pilots to train the attack on a carrier. :frown:

how many missiles P8i can carry ????

Technically each P8I will come armed with Latest version of Harpoon anti ship missiles with each aircraft carrying 3 of these
Add to that it will have effective anti submarine warfare capability

However American P8A is designed to carry 6 Harpoon missiles , i think indian P8I will be capable of carying 6 too unless there is serious design differences between P8I and P8A

However P8I will only come with 3 Harpoons each as part of weapons package

Dudes , let me tell u something funny

Boing has offered a Diet version of P8I
in response to RFI issued by Indian Navy and Coast guard for 6 Recon and sea control aircrafts each , with coast guard aircrafts not required to have anti sub capability
With navy even having an option to purchase a further 6 aircraft of the same make

My question is that in the name of commanality and reduced mentainence cost , there is a High possibility that navy and coast guard will excersise an option to by P8I and we could see a senario where Indian Navy and coast guard could be operating a combined Fleet of 30 P8I which will make India the second largest operator of this aircraft after USN which is acquiring over 100 P8A

Technically each P8I will come armed with Latest version of Harpoon anti ship missiles with each aircraft carrying 3 of these
Add to that it will have effective anti submarine warfare capability

However American P8A is designed to carry 6 Harpoon missiles , i think indian P8I will be capable of carying 6 too unless there is serious design differences between P8I and P8A

However P8I will only come with 3 Harpoons each as part of weapons package

So cost of Harpoon is included with P8i?????

So cost of Harpoon is included with P8i?????

Well India is getting 2 Batches of Harpoon,
one batch of 26 Missiles as part of 2.1 Billion USD P8I deal
A second batch of 24 Harpoons to replace the Sea Eagle Anti ship missiles operated by IAF Jaguar IM , these 24 missiles are costing 170 Million USD

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

British Harrier T2 for sale on eBay

A rare Harrier jump jet is up for sale for nearly £70,000 after having been restored by a group of aviation enthusiasts on a farm in Queensbury.Taking 12 months and around 1,000 hours of work, the two-seater T2 Harrier is now attracting bids on eBay.The classic RAF aircraft was built in 1971 and flew on many NATO exercises in West Germany during the Cold War.

Aircraft restoration expert and Harrier fan Chris Wilson said: “It does make the ultimate garden feature.”

Chris, who is managing director of Jet Art Aviation, said the decommissioned jet was a classic piece of British engineering and deserved to go to a good home.

“It is a masterpiece really. The aircraft is unique and it is the only one in the world that can do what it can do.

“It does generate a lot of interest. At air shows everyone gets off their seats, everyone stares.”

Famed for their ability to hover and to take off and land vertically, Harriers were one of the defining images of the Falklands war in 1982.

Taking a year to restore, Chris said it was never going to be an easy task to make a plane which had seen years of service look like new.

On the scrapheap

“It looked like a wreck and if we had not taken it on then it would probably have ended up on the scrapheap,” he said.

“We did everything from replacing the tyres to the undercarriage, then we put it back together with a full paint job and rebuilt the cockpit.”

At 60 ft long and 26 ft wide, this former ‘Cold Warrior’ looks perhaps a little out of place in its current home on a hillside in Queensbury.

But Chris said this was where all the hard work restoring Harrier XW269 was carried out.

“The elements have hindered us a little. It has all been done by working outside in all weather,” he said.

The Harrier was, of course, stripped of all its equipment and weaponry before it left the RAF, but it now looks ready for action once again.

Chris said: “There is a set of inert cannon gun pods, a pair of drop tanks and a pair of inert rocket pods.

“They look very real and it looks like it is fully-armed.”

A number of people have already shown an interest in the sale of the Harrier.

But with an asking price of £69,999 Chris said it was likely that the plane would end its days as a museum exhibit or in the garden of a celebrity.

Some infos on the Varuna 2011 exercise of Indian and French navy that I got on an other forum:

So only 4 x Sea harriers were available, which imo shows how worse the situation is and although air combats and air defense was trained, it seems only the Sea Harriers had attended, which is a shame and IAF missed a good chance to give Jaguars, or MKIs pilots to train the attack on a carrier. :frown:

It is a naval excercise, IAF might not allowed to participate

NEW DELHI: Amid heightened focus on aerial maritime surveillance, the Navy is planning to induct nine amphibious aircraft to keep a vigil over the Andaman and Nicobar and Lakshadweep islands.

"We would use the amphibious aircraft for carrying out search and rescue missions, inter-island communication, rapid response missions and reconnaissance of islands," a Navy official told media here.

The process to procure the amphibious aircraft, which can take-off and land on either land or water, has already been initiated with the issuing of a global Request for Information (RFI) by the Defence Ministry .

Post 26/11 attacks, the Navy and the Coast Guard have taken various steps to ensure that Pakistan-based terror groups such as Lashkar-e-Toiba, or sea pirates don't use the uninhabited islands to launch attacks against India.

The aircraft would also be used for "inter-island ferry for personnel and cargo, long-range search and rescue missions, visual and radar surveillance of coastal areas and island territories," the official said.

The capability of the amphibious aircraft to land on water would also help us to carry out casualty evacuation operations, supply critical spares to units and respond rapidly for humanitarian assistance missions at sea. The Navy wants an aircraft which should have a short take-off capability with a range of at least 800 nautical miles so that they can cover a long range, the official said.

Canadian Bombardier and Russian Beriev are expected to receive the Request for Proposal (RFP), which is expected to be issued by the Navy soon. In the recent past, India has enhanced its focus on increasing aerial vigilance over its huge maritime zone and islands situated there.

In 2009, India signed a deal worth USD 2.1 billion for procuring eight P-8I long range maritime surveillance aircraft and is also planning to procure new medium range aircraft for the Coast Guard for reconnaissance and surveillance.

My question is that in the name of commanality and reduced mentainence cost , there is a High possibility that navy and coast guard will excersise an option to by P8I and we could see a senario where Indian Navy and coast guard could be operating a combined Fleet of 30 P8I
30 is a big number but there is difference between p8i diet and p8i. I hope we buy more as clearly we are lagging too much behind China. So while we are trying to increase our fleet of submarine we should work more on anti submarine warfare.

IAF was also looking for such aircrafts. Are they still looking ??/
IN was also looking for 4 amphibious warships, what happened to that??/4 billion $ was sanctioned for this.

Indian Navy should have not less than 20 P81............... Looking at our huge Coast line and Indian Maritime Border, we need atleast 50 of it. 20 Navy & 30 Coast Guard.

Back
Top Bottom