What's new

Indian Navy News & Discussions

Ok that fits the tweet ..

They just raised the engine power upto the required level with restrainer,.

:lol:

What difference does it make , if taxi trial is done 200 mts or 500 mts from the deck?
Why the author gave importance to 200mts?

I think this is like bike show, where initially they ll come near jump ramp then go back.. Next time they ll jump.

Tejas doing the same?:D

What think has happened (just my opinion) based on:

This is the restraining gear system:

On the Viky:

INS+Vikramaditya+aircraft+carrier+Admiral+Gorshkov+Indian+Navy+STOBAR+MiG-29K+and+Sea+Harrier+ski-jump+Ka-28+ASW+Ka-31+helicopters+AEW+HAL+Tejas+lca-n+fighter+jet+Kiev+class+Bharat+Military+Review+ready+operational+delivered+%281%29.png

Replicated at STBF:
tumblr_nbe4pz4FLM1tjfjuco9_1280.jpg

The system holds back the fighter as it goes full power (after burner) in order to take off the ramp in such a short distance. I am presuming the N-LCA test involved this system.

On the INS Vikramditya (and IAC-1) there are 2 take off positions:

ins-vikramaditya-2_1384598394.gif

maxresdefault.jpg

One at 200 metres and one at 150 (IIRC) so the report is stating the N-LCA was tested at the take-off position 2/long take off spot at the SBTF.

It is obvious that a lot of information has been lost by the restrictions twitter opposes with their 140 character limit.

This is just my take on it. I could be wrong.

Thanks @Abingdonboy ........ your explanation is the correct one I guess .

Now I get it . The underlined part has to be read as one , I think ......:p:

LSTT & EGR on restraining gear system 200 mtr from ramp done successfully.

Now I get it . The underlined part has to be read as one , I think ......:p:

LSTT & EGR on restraining gear system 200 mtr from ramp done successfully.
Indeed, which is why the next line implies the next logical step is to have the N-LCA take off from the ramp at the SBTF and that fits given it would be the next logical step once you have tested out the N-LCA on the restraining system.

Indeed, which is why the next line implies the next logical step is to have the N-LCA take off from the ramp at the SBTF and that fits given it would be the next logical step once you have tested out the N-LCA on the restraining system.

Dec 15 - NLCA take off from SBTF

Dec 18 - launch of LVM-III

What a week the next one is going to be ..... :yay:

Indigenous nuclear powered submarine INS Arihant to head out for sea trials

Sandeep Unnithan New Delhi, Saturday, December 13, 2014
arihant-story_350_121314032445.jpg

India's quest for a secure seaborne nuclear deterrent is set for a giant stride when its first indigenously constructed nuclear submarine the INS Arihant begins sea trials next week.

Naval sources indicated a casting-off date of Monday, December 15, and preparations are currently underway at the Shipbuilding Centre, Visakhapatnam to ensure a smooth sail out for the 6,000-tonne nuclear powered ballistic missile submarine (SSBN).

"It will be a surfaced sortie, but a great milestone nevertheless," naval officials told India Today.

It has been a slow crawl for the Arihant since she was launched at the shipbuilding centre in Vizag on July 26, 2009. It was four years before the next major milestone could be crossed, in August 2013 when the 83MW reactor onboard the submarine went critical.

Navy chief Admiral Robin Dhowan told mediapersons on December 3 that the submarine would commence its sea trials "very soon" and attributed the five-year time lag to the complexity of the platform and its equipment. Sources say the navy chief Admiral Dhowan wanted Prime Minister Narendra Modi to be present at the cast-off, but it failed to materialize because of scheduling reasons.

Naval officials say the sea sortie marks the first in a series of steps-submerged sea trials and weapon firing trials which the submarine will have to cover before she is ready for induction into the navy, a process which could take another year.

The navy plans a fleet of five SSBNs, all of them capable of firing nuclear-tipped ballistic missiles from under the sea. Two more Arihant class submairnes are being fabricated at the SBC in Vizag and are likely to be inducted over the next five years.

India currently operates one nuclear submarine, the INS Chakra (the ex Russian sub 'Nerpa') taken on a ten-year lease from Russia in 2012. One of the items on the agenda of recent summit-level talks between Russian President Putin and Prime Minister Narendra Modi is believed to have been the lease of a second SSN, the unfinished 'Iribis', left unfinished after the breakup of the Soviet Union.

Its OFFICIAL now;
India to lease a Second Nuclear Submarine.
INS_Chakra_650.jpg

New Delhi: The Indian Navy will soon have another nuclear submarine. The government has decided to lease a second nuclear submarine from Russia, top Defence Ministry officials have told NDTV.

Currently, India operates an 8,140-tonne Akula Class submarine - renamed the INS Chakra - that was leased in 2011 from Russia for a period of 10 years, at a cost of about USD 970 million. (INS Chakra: Top 10 Must-Know Facts)

The lease conditions allow India to fire conventional weapons only from the platform. The second leased submarine will also be the same class and is expected to come with the same conditions.

India is looking at the hull of the Iribis - a Russian Akula class submarine - that was never completed after the collapse of the Soviet Union in the early 1990s.

Yesterday, the indigenously-built nuclear powered INS Arihant started its sea trials, and is expected to join the fleet in another two years. India is in the process of building three more nuclear powered submarines. The keel of the second Arihant class submarine has already been laid. (INS Arihant, First Made-in-India Nuclear Submarine, Begins Sea Trials)

The decision to lease a second submarine has been taken on two counts: One with three more nuclear submarines coming up, the Indian Navy needs to train manpower. Moreover, with the Indian submarine fleet depleted, the leased submarine will also pitch in to bridge the capability gap. India has about 13 conventional submarines and one nuclear, out of which only half are available for deployment at any given time.

To protect its maritime interests, India needs a minimum of 24 submarines. However, delays in implementing the 30 year submarine plan, drawn up in 1988 which proposed to procure six submarines from the West and another six from Russia and then amalgamate the technology and come up with indigenous design, has resulted in India not having a credible sea denial capability.

Plans to buy additional Scorpene-class submarines from France were also turned down by the current government. Instead, the Government wants submarines to be made in India. The Navy has been asked to identify an Indian ship yard that can build submarines after acquiring technology from a foreign partner.

India to Lease a Second Nuclear Submarine From Russia

@Abingdonboy, @Water Car Engineer, @Bang Galore, @janon et al. So this has also crystallised now.

Back
Top Bottom