What's new

Indian Navy News & Discussions

@Penguin
Is it ok to assume that IN will replace shtil missiles on talwar class with barak 8 by next refit ?
Maybe, maybe not. It would also require a different radar fit. Sounds expensive to me. Rather I'ld replace the 24 round single rail launcher with a 24 round VLS. Much cheaper.

Maybe, maybe not. It would also require a different radar fit. Sounds expensive to me. Rather I'ld replace the 24 round single rail launcher with a 24 round VLS. Much cheaper.
I don't understand, are you suggesting shtil VLS?
I was thinking,We can use the current systems as fixed SAMs to protect land assets.

I don't understand, are you suggesting shtil VLS?
I was thinking,We can use the current systems as fixed SAMs to protect land assets.
Not going to happen. Fixed SAM sites are ... outdated, good targets for air stikes and SEAD

Last edited:
Stealth destroyer INS Kolkata, the largest warship built in India, will fire a long-range surface-to-air missile (LR-SAM) for the first time in 2015.

The vertical launch units of the LR-SAM, also called Barak 8, have been built into the vessel and the MF-STAR [multifunction surveillance and threat alert radar] is in place for missile guidance. All you need to do is take delivery of the missile, load it and fire. It is slated to take place next year,” Captain Tarun Sobti, Commanding Officer of INS Kolkata, told The Hindu during an exclusive tour of the ship.

The ship, commissioned in August in Mumbai, has just finished its maiden work-up here, during which the vessel and its crew were put through their paces by the Flag Officer Sea Training. The ship will carry 32 SAMs, with an enhanced range of up to 70 km, for missile defence.

The first flight of the LR-SAM, jointly developed by the Israeli Aerospace Industry and the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), took place in Israel in November.

An operational firing of the vertical BrahMos supersonic cruise missile, against surface targets, would be carried out early next year, Capt. Sobti said. The vessel fired BrahMos during the sea-acceptance trials off Karwar in June.

He said the vessel had an indigenous content of about 70 per cent. The work-up laid emphasis on, and perfected, the standard operating procedures, safety routines and tactical skills. “It’s a special training where procedures are perfected, the crew put together and safety drills performed to a fault,” he said.

The vessel, sporting a stealth design and displacing 7,500 tonnes, demonstrated strength, manoeuvrability and survivability and provided crew comfort. robust anti-submarine warfare capability was achieved with depth chargers, heavy-weight torpedoes, rockets and a bow-mounted sonar, the HUMSA-NG, developed by the Naval Physical and Oceanographic Laboratory, a DRDO lab.

INS Kolkata to fire long range missile in 2015 - The Hindu

Indian Naval Academy opens doors to foreign cadets
EZHIMALA (KANNUR): The Indian Naval Academy in Ezhimala is fast emerging as a globally reputed institution and from this batch onwards cadets from some friendly nations are also joining the Academy, said the authorities.

"We have got requests from various friendly nations but owing to the limitations in our capacity and the need to train more cadets from our own country, we have to restrict the admission to a selected few," said training captain Rahul Shankar. "In the batch starting this month, seven cadets from three friendly nations are joining the INA, which include four from Mauritius, two from Sri Lanka and one from Maldives."

Though the other training facilities of the Indian navy used to provide training to cadets from abroad, and also organise joint exercises, when an institution is sought by the foreign countries for training their cadets, it is a major recognition, he said. "This means our training facility is reputed worldwide, which also points out that our navy is one of the best in the world."
Once the next phase of development is complete, more candidates from abroad can be admitted, of course adhering to the rules and regulations, said Rahul Shankar.

He also said more and female candidates are interested to join the Indian Navy and this is a positive sign.

Indian Naval Academy opens doors to foreign cadets - The Times of India

Does that mean tejas went on low speed taxi trial in the ramp for 200m ?

Bhai , what I understand from that tweet is that in SBTF some 200m from the ramp NLCA has conducted both LSTT and EGR .

and FYI , ramp = ski-jump = angled deck .

Bhai , what I understand from that tweet is that in SBTF some 200m from the ramp NLCA has conducted both LSTT and EGR .

:lol:

What difference does it make , if taxi trial is done 200 mts or 500 mts from the deck?
Why the author gave importance to 200mts?

I think this is like bike show, where initially they ll come near jump ramp then go back.. Next time they ll jump.

Tejas doing the same?:D

200m from the ski-jump at SBTF .

Does that mean tejas went on low speed taxi trial in the ramp for 200m ?

What I think has happened (just my opinion) based on:

LSTT & EGR on restraining gear system 200 mtr from ramp done

This is the restraining gear system:

On the Viky:

INS+Vikramaditya+aircraft+carrier+Admiral+Gorshkov+Indian+Navy+STOBAR+MiG-29K+and+Sea+Harrier+ski-jump+Ka-28+ASW+Ka-31+helicopters+AEW+HAL+Tejas+lca-n+fighter+jet+Kiev+class+Bharat+Military+Review+ready+operational+delivered+(1).png

Replicated at STBF:
tumblr_nbe4pz4FLM1tjfjuco9_1280.jpg

The system holds back the fighter as it goes full power (after burner) in order to take off the ramp in such a short distance. I am presuming the N-LCA test involved this system.

What difference does it make , if taxi trial is done 200 mts or 500 mts from the deck?
Why the author gave importance to 200mts?

On the INS Vikramditya (and IAC-1) there are 2 take off positions:

ins-vikramaditya-2_1384598394.gif

maxresdefault.jpg

One at 200 metres and one at 150 (IIRC) so the report is stating the N-LCA was tested at the take-off position 2/long take off spot at the SBTF.

It is obvious that a lot of information has been lost by the restrictions twitter opposes with their 140 character limit.

This is just my take on it. I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom