What's new

Indian Helicopter Discussion

but there are reports that entire gunships will stay in IAF and Army will get gunships via different procurement.

Article Window

Gen Singh has reason to be pleased since the MoD letter clearly says “future procurements” of attack helicopters — armed with guided missiles, cannons and rockets to target enemy infantry and tanks on the ground — will be for the Army.
While the Army’s aviation corps operates around 250 light helicopters like Dhruv, Cheetah and Chetak, attack and mediumlift helicopters have so far been the IAF’s sole preserve. The letter says that even for medium-lift helicopters, which will remain with the IAF, there will be a review of the “prioritization of tasks” to ensure the Army’s operational requirements are met adequately.
MoD sources, however, said the “ongoing” procurement process for the acquisition of 22 AH-64D Apache Longbow attack helicopters, with a weapons package including hundreds of Hellfire and Stinger missiles from the US in a $1.4 billion deal, will be for the IAF. “The Army will get ‘future’ acquisitions. It will have to come up with its own concrete plans for induction of attack helicopters, with all their infrastructure, maintenance and training matters,’’ said a source.
The Army wants one heavy-duty attack squadron (10-12 helicopters) for each of its three “strike” formations — 1 Corps (Mathura), 2 Corps (Ambala) and 21 Corps (Bhopal) — in keeping with their primary offensive role. Moreover, it has plans to induct another 114 ‘Rudra’ light combat helicopters for the remaining 10 ‘pivot’ corps.

from that report,Army is getting a lot of Rudra s.but now the question is,which heavy duty helos they will try to get???is more n more AH-64D are coming??? :azn:

The kind of sophistication that comes with the Apache III block both the IAF and the IA will need to train with the US team first.

New aircrafts require new training so its obvious that our Pilots having never flown Apache have to be trained by those who have.

So the Army will be getting 277 attack helicopters...they need a lot of Pilots now.

Definatly in long run. For now IAF attack chopper pilots will be assigned to IA still army get enough trained pilots. I would personally love to IA pilots going for Apache TRAING :D

Why can't the Armed forces have common arms, such as A - Army B - Air Force and C - the Joint Group, same should be between Navy and Air Force

ft9w1009r8_00000.gif

Well this move brings the India in line with most AFs in the world. However I think we need to wait for the details to emerge because there are a lot of conflicting reports, some saying IA will get all the LCHs and Apaches, others saying the IAF will retain the Apaches and some LCHs. If not within the span of 7 years the AAC is going to go from a moderatly capable force to an out of this world capable force!

Also will the AAC getting ownership of the Apaches (if this is the case) affect future procurement plans wrt the Apache as it had been speculated the IAF were lookig to get 80+ units of the beast but now with the huge expansion of the AAC would the IA be interested in going for more or just content in the rapid expansion they already have undergone?

Also will the AAC getting ownership of the Apaches (if this is the case) affect future procurement plans wrt the Apache as it had been speculated the IAF were lookig to get 80+ units of the beast but now with the huge expansion of the AAC would the IA be interested in going for more or just content in the rapid expansion they already have undergone?

I talked to a retired high ranker few months ago. It was the period when IAF wasn't willing to hand over attack choppers. He told me that IAF won't give up Apaches as they were scouting for something like that for years. Even if MOD make IAF to give these Apache to IA , IAF will go for different tender or just follow on order. So I think it is more than likely that both IA & IAF will have Apaches. It would be a costly affair but it will be a kick @ss value addition to our force's air power :D

80 is a big number but 50-60 looks possible.IA would be needing Apaches for its strike corps specially for anti-tank role.I think even if it goes to the Army the Army will still place a further order.

It would be awesome to see this beast in Kashmir doing this.....

[video]http://www.********.com/view?i=054_1348760938&p=1[/video]

80 is a big number but 50-60 looks possible.IA would be needing Apaches for its strike corps specially for anti-tank role.I think even if it goes to the Army the Army will still place a further order.

It would be awesome to see this beast in Kashmir doing this.....

[video]http://www.********.com/view?i=054_1348760938&p=1[/video]

I sincerely hope that India won't be expending missiles on single humans. The missile would cost as much as training hundreds of insrugents would cost. Cheap bullets kill them to an equal degree!

Here is the whole video though. Two apaches taking out an entire platoon of talibs at their leisure:

Last edited by a moderator:
I sincerely hope that India won't be expending missiles on single humans. The missile would cost as much as training hundreds of insrugents would cost. Cheap bullets kill them to an equal degree!

Here is the whole video though. Two apaches taking out an entire platoon of talibs at their leisure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdqH...ytimg.com/yt/swfbin/watc h_as3-vflVJZw7d.swf

Its not like that buddy. Every threat is a prominent threat. Will you say that if one guy took down entire chopper with AK fire ??? And I don't think that was a missile. More likely a dum rocket on pad.

Back
Top Bottom