What's new

Indian Helicopter Discussion

1nd1a

Reaction score
BANGALORE: Another male bastion, this time in the air, has gone to women. For the first time ever, the Indian Air Force is preparing two of its women pilots for combat roles.

Flight Lieutenants Alka Shukla and M P Shumathi were trained at the Yelahanka station in flying twin-engine Mi-8, a utility and medium-size assault helicopter. Both pilots are at their operational units where they will continue with their armament and special heli-operations training.

Women pilots were only asked to operate single-engine helicopters such as Cheetah and Chethak, used only on non-combat missions. For Alka, this opportunity came her way after she spent over three years in a Chetak helicopter unit in West Bengal, performing casualty evacuation operations in Sikkim and Bhutan. "When I was at Bagdogra station, my senior told me that I have to go to Bangalore. Initially, it didn't click. By the time I realized the magnitude of the offer, I had all my colleagues congratulating me," she said.

Alka is thrilled by the new combat manoeuvres that she is flying. "I'm being trained in hovering above to enable troops slither down the ropes. This manoeuvre was similar to the ones carried out during the 26/11 strikes in Mumbai," she said. "The two women officers had the same curriculum and training as their male counterparts and they performed very well," said Wing Commander N D Mahajan, chief flying instructor of the unit.

They will be trained in bombing, rocket attack, combat search and rescue, and special heli-borne operations. Deepak Kumar Vats, commanding officer of Alka's 112 helicopter unit, said his unit has twin roles: training pilots who are switching over from single-engine helicopters to twin-engine ones, and an operational role. "As of now, our operations have more to do with civilian aid such as flood-relief operations. But in case of a contingency, our units could be moved to the northwest where Alka may be part of the operations," he said.

In a first, IAF puts women pilots in attack mode - The Times of India

Why just men have all the fun.....
India.gif

:sniper:

The female pilot's program had only "Limited" Success. Most of them are flying non-combat aircrafts, today.

Why Just Two? to show the world? Why not in numbers?

BANGALORE: Another male bastion, this time in the air, has gone to women. For the first time ever, the Indian Air Force is preparing two of its women pilots for combat roles.

Flight Lieutenants Alka Shukla and M P Shumathi were trained at the Yelahanka station in flying twin-engine Mi-8, a utility and medium-size assault helicopter. Both pilots are at their operational units where they will continue with their armament and special heli-operations training.

Women pilots were only asked to operate single-engine helicopters such as Cheetah and Chethak, used only on non-combat missions. For Alka, this opportunity came her way after she spent over three years in a Chetak helicopter unit in West Bengal, performing casualty evacuation operations in Sikkim and Bhutan. "When I was at Bagdogra station, my senior told me that I have to go to Bangalore. Initially, it didn't click. By the time I realized the magnitude of the offer, I had all my colleagues congratulating me," she said.

Alka is thrilled by the new combat manoeuvres that she is flying. "I'm being trained in hovering above to enable troops slither down the ropes. This manoeuvre was similar to the ones carried out during the 26/11 strikes in Mumbai," she said. "The two women officers had the same curriculum and training as their male counterparts and they performed very well," said Wing Commander N D Mahajan, chief flying instructor of the unit.

They will be trained in bombing, rocket attack, combat search and rescue, and special heli-borne operations. Deepak Kumar Vats, commanding officer of Alka's 112 helicopter unit, said his unit has twin roles: training pilots who are switching over from single-engine helicopters to twin-engine ones, and an operational role. "As of now, our operations have more to do with civilian aid such as flood-relief operations. But in case of a contingency, our units could be moved to the northwest where Alka may be part of the operations," he said.

In a first, IAF puts women pilots in attack mode - The Times of India

Why just men have all the fun.....
India.gif

:sniper:

Just to show that Indian women are more than enough for enemy air force.

Missiles se nahin to Teekhi Najaron se maar girayengi Dushman ko. :D

Yup PAF has women flying F16s. These guys should learn. We should induct women as much as men like in Israel/US for all combat roles in all 3 branches.

putting women in a offensive combat, especially over enemy territory, who got a bad record regarding how they treat their war prisoners is not a good idea. We should give them such jobs where they are safe from being captured and tortured.I guess everybody can understand what I am trying to say.

putting women in a offensive combat, especially over enemy territory, who got a bad record regarding how they treat their war prisoners is not a good idea. We should give them such jobs where they are safe from being captured and tortured.I guess everybody can understand what I am trying to say.

That's a patronizing attitude. That choice should be left to the women who join the IAF - who are volunteers just like the men. It is not just women who can be treated badly by the enemy - remember what happened to Saurabh Kalia? What happened to squadron leader Ajay Ahuja? Now these men joined this profession fully aware of these risks, and the women who volunteer will also do so fully aware of the risks.

This talk of "we" should give "them" so and so jobs makes it sound like a few men in their kind heartedness gifting women some charity with the understanding that they won't ask for more, while pretending to know more about their interests than themselves. There is no "we" versus "them" here - all of them, men or women, are equal partners and stakeholders in the security and welfare of the country.

It is a terrible thing for a woman to have to undergo capture and torture and rape, but it is equally terrible for a young man to undergo that too. However, in free countries with volunteer militaries, that choice of a risk is for the volunteers to take. If a handful of women are prepared to take that risk, they have every right to do so, and don't need patronizing talk from anybody on that.

We shouldn't be defining gender roles. Neither should "men" protect "women". In reality, women can also protect men. Thats the idea of equality that we should spread. And that is why we advocate for women to be in combat roles. And that is also why the army also trains them. They can be just as tough, just as intelligent and just as resilient as any man probably can. Infact studies show that women are actually mentally tougher than men, considering the actual figures that the most suicides are done by men :lol:

As for the human rights abuses, yes, I agree its terrible. But its terrible regardless. Whether its a man or a woman.

If the women decide to engage in combat why not? The soviet women snipers in WW II did outstanding jobs,better than the men sometimes.

We shouldn't be defining gender roles. Neither should "men" protect "women". In reality, women can also protect men. Thats the idea of equality that we should spread. And that is why we advocate for women to be in combat roles. And that is also why the army also trains them. They can be just as tough, just as intelligent and just as resilient as any man probably can. Infact studies show that women are actually mentally tougher than men, considering the actual figures that the most suicides are done by men :lol:

Before the male chauvinist brigade pounces in on this and diverts the core of the issue, let me clarify. Women are not in general as tough PHYSICALLY as men. I'm assuming you meant physical toughness and strength. However, most combat roles do not require soldiers to be as tough as a para commando or navy seal or marcos. Definitely not a helicopter pilot. So this issue of women not being physically fit enough to take on ANY combat role is a boogeyman. As thee young woman pilot in that video on the Mi-17 said (there is a thread running on that), the helicopter doesn't know whether it is being flown by a man or woman.

So my point is that trained women officers are going to be as physically fit as it is required for taking on almost any combat role. If they aren't fit enough, or are inadequate in any way, don't commission them - same thing that goes for men. If they are fit enough, and are mentally prepared to take on the job with full knowledge of potential consequences, nobody has a right to stop them on the basis of gender.

The Irish special forces (army rangers) keep a policy that anybody, men or women, can join it if they qualify for it. To date, no woman has been able to complete the selection process due to the arduous physical standards needed. (A very big percentage of the men who try fail too.) That should be the policy regarding combat roles - admit anybody who qualifies and excels.

I'm not really sure how you can differentiate physical and mental torture based on gender roles. If the enemy plans to torture a soldier captured as prisoner of war only the mode of torture will be different based on gender. At the end of the day, every soldier will face a risk. Any person, male or female who joins the army is well aware of that. If they choose to join the army, they do so knowing the risks.

Back
Top Bottom