What's new

Indian Foreign Affairs News & Discussions (non-US & Pakistan related

Status
Not open for further replies.
Centre to hold meet on repealing IPC section on homosexuality

The Centre is likely to convene a meeting soon to evolve a consensus on repealing a controversial section of the Indian Penal Code which criminalises homosexuality.

The meeting, to be chaired by Union Home Minister P Chidambaram will discuss section 377 IPC, which bans sexual relationships among people of the same gender, official sources said.

Chidambaram and Law Minister Veerappa Moily are understood to be in favour of repealing the provision of the IPC, while response of Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad was awaited.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had asked the ministries of home and health to resolve the differences over the issues and give a comprehensive response to the Delhi High Court, which is hearing a petition challenging arrests under the law.

Former Home Minister Shivraj Patil and former Health Minister Anbumani Ramadoss had taken divergent stand on the issue before the court.

Terming the matter as "serious", the High Court had directed the government to sort out the matter at the earliest.

Centre to hold meet on repealing IPC section on homosexuality- Hindustan Times

About time the government took steps to abolish archaic laws.

Government not rushing to legalise homosexuality:Moily

A decision on repealing the controversial Section of the Penal Law which criminalises homosexuality would be taken only after considering concerns of all sections of society, including religious groups like the church, Union Law Minister Veerappa Moily said on Sunday.

A meeting of the home, health and law ministers would be held to have a re-look at Section 377 of IPC banning sex between people of the same gender, but a final decision would be taken only after taking into account concerns of all sections of the society, he told a meet-the-press programme.

"The Cabinet has mandated to have a re-look at the provision. But we are not going to rush to any conclusion. We will certainly take into account concerns of all sections, including religious groups like Christian church," he said.

Moily, however, did not say how soon the ministerial meeting would be held. "This is a matter now engaging a national debate. It is also before court, which has favoured the government to have a look at it.

While having a holistic look, it could lead a repeal of the section in the IPC. It may also mean not repealing a particular section," he said.

Asked if such a radical step would not trigger protests from religious quarters like the church, he said, "We have to discuss all these questions before taking a final decision."

There was a feeling that the 150-year-old Section in the IPC required a re-look. Though amendments had been proposed to IPC over the time, there was no integrated, comprehensive and holistic look at the clause, he said.

Government not rushing to legalise homosexuality: Moily- Hindustan Times

I think some people on this thread should be banned for sheer stupidity.

sorry,man ,
you r from a country which is proud of freedom of press
and you guys blash China for a long time on it
show us some freedom ,why not ?:china:

Isn't this saga going on for years now ?

Last time this came up and the government tried to legalize homosexuality, the right-wing parties acted up. Its been going from court-to-court for a while. The biggest opposition has been those people who are afraid that the homosexuals would try to "patao" them or that their children might end up making a "lifestyle choice" about homosexuality if it is seen as normal.

Anyway, no one has ever been successfully prosecuted under the laws, while lesbians cannot be prosecuted under the law anyway (due to the way sex is defined). I wonder what sense having that law on the book serves.

Personally, I think that if the two people are willing, what goes on between them in the bedroom should not be an issue for the law. (Usual disclaimers apply : Consent not being alcohol induced, violence excluded etc.)

Why do they have to ask the church for permission? The Church already has the right to stop all Christians from any such behavior.

I think this will have the end result of Church ending up as the whipping boy -- a convenient tool to take blame for the anti-homosexual provisions.

Boy u just digged ur own grave.:rofl::rofl:

watch this and see who is the pet of white master.:rofl::rofl:

OdA2weuY8xI[/media] - Chinese working hard to learn English for Olympic Games

Its ur turn.:enjoy:

we just did that for a better host,even you guys came to China we r welcome you in English
and tell me do you know any of our leaders speak English in public
Chinese first in China,English is not so important for us,we use it as a cake,you consider it as a :tup::tup: thing

what the white said you said,if someone had infomations from CNNor BBC,why waste time to read the Times of India,we all know what indians say:cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:

Oh my friend communist, as allways ur dart didnt hit the target.LOL.English is one of the official languages of India. and think twice before make fun of Lalu Prasad Yadav.;)

Indian Railway Minister Lalu Prasad Yadav (C) meets students of the Harvard and Wharton Business School at the National Rail Museum in New Delhi, 27 December 2006. The rustic Lalu Prasad donned the mantle of a 'Management Guru', explaining to the students of world famous Harvard and Wharton Business Schools the wisdom entailed in making success of a venture, even if it is a written-off entity like Indian Railways.

Lalu Prasad Yadav to teach Harvard and Wharton undergraduates on Indian Railways turnaround, improvements and reforms
:toast_sign:

India is a country with huge diversity.........thus,we can see different languages spoken in different parts of india........now,a typical indian from bengal or say northern part of india doesn't understand even a bit of the languages spoken in the south,which itself has many languages like telegu,malayalam,tamil etc........same with northern parts of india,where many different languages exist,and those languages are spoken only by the natives......like gujrati in gujrat and marathi in maharashtra,but both these languages are foreign to the opposite party.....period......now,you don't possibly expect a person to give up the mother tongue.....for which we need a neutral official language for all in a huge country like India.......and we chose english,for valid reasons,nothing wrong with it......nor does it have anything to do with the present western countries

Oh my friend communist, as allways ur dart didnt hit the target.LOL.English is one of the official languages of India. and think twice before make fun of Lalu Prasad Yadav.;)

I am not your friend.

I could have posted a number of videos. But I did not. Because it would have definitely been off topic. If you want to discuss this matter further by challenging me, I can open a separate thread and post the videos there and I am sure, you will feel ashamed to be an Indian after watching them. I can upload many videos if it becomes necessary at the same time.

When I defend any country or its people, just do not dare to launch an attack. My counter attack will be more piercing and devastating.

Now please stick to the topic.

Yeah we have definitely seen how "piercing and devastating" your counter attacks have been on this thread. Get real!! Who talks like that!!???

we just did that for a better host,even you guys came to China we r welcome you in English
and tell me do you know any of our leaders speak English in public
Chinese first in China,English is not so important for us,we use it as a cake,you consider it as a :tup::tup: thing

what the white said you said,if someone had infomations from CNNor BBC,why waste time to read the Times of India,we all know what indians say:cheers:

Okey then, help me understand this, why some channels like state run CCTV broadcast in English in China??:hitwall:

I am not your friend.

This is ur problem mate, we Indians want to be friends with our neighbours but they just dont get it and says " I am not ur friend". I cant help u there.:angel:

My counter attack will be more piercing and devastating

:rofl:

I could have posted a number of videos. But I did not. Because it would have definitely been off topic. If you want to discuss this matter further by challenging me, I can open a separate thread and post the videos there and I am sure, you will feel ashamed to be an Indian after watching them. I can upload many videos if it becomes necessary at the same time.

so be it.

Now please stick to the topic.

make sense as far as ur Lalu Prasad video is concerned.:yahoo:

Last edited:
Okey guys like MY FRIEND communist said, Lets stick back to the topic.

The Dalai Lama is a pathetic puppet hoisted by Western Powers, in harming China. The guy ran away like a coward, if he truly loved his people and believed that injustice was happening to his people then he should have stayed and fought. Anyway his getting old and when he does pass on then his anti Chinese agenda will die along with him. What China needs to do is invest heavy in Tibet so that none of these terrorist have a legit reason in gaining support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom