What's new

Indian deputy consul general arrested in US on visa fraud charges

I am not comparing the two incidents at all ....

I just cited Raymond davis example ....where US forced its way through ...

Insisting for diplomatic immunity against murder charge ...when it did not exist ....and ultimately buying 'Justice' ....there can't be greater travesty of justice when US exploited Pakistani law of Diyyat while it refused to let its national be subjected to law of Pakistan all along under guise of Diplomatic immunity ....

Same country now tramples the obvious 'Diplomatic immunity' of our emissary ....

For God's sake ! do not patronize US act of shielding Raymond davis ...

Sometimes you have to force your way through when you can and where it serves your national interests. If USA hadnt done the same on another occasion, Osama BL would have still been alive.

But i guess im going way off topic. I guess u wont understand why im saying this.

Sometimes you have to force your way through when you can and where it serves your national interests. If USA hadnt done the same on another occasion, Osama BL would have still been alive.

But i guess im going way off topic. I guess u wont understand why im saying this.

Off course I understand what you are trying to say ....

But do not dilute US act of indiscretion by bringing angle of loyalty of US administration towards its nationals....

This thread about US treatment of Indian diplomat ....

If at all I would say ....if US can force its way through in most illegal way to protect US interest ....then India has all the reasons to act tough to protect prestige of nation that has been damaged by US act of public humiliation of its Diplomat .....

how do you think that such situation be handled by India ?

I think that would largely depend on what the official response of the U.S. would be, it is not necessary that the U.S. government was in the know. There will always be issues between any two countries, going overboard on every matter is not desirable. If the U.S. response is not to our liking, some U.S. official in India must be given a taste of the same medicine. Politely, not necessary to blow it out of proportion, but firmly. The message must be clearly understood.

This thread about US treatment of Indian diplomat ....

If at all I would say ....if US can force its way through in most illegal way to protect US interest ....then India has all the reasons to act tough to protect prestige of nation that has been damaged by US act of public humiliation of its Diplomat .....

Leave Raymond Davis out and I Completely agree with you. India must act tough.

I think that would largely depend on what the official response of the U.S. would be, it is not necessary that the U.S. government was in the know. There will always be issues between any two countries, going overboard on every matter is not desirable. If the U.S. response is not to our liking, some U.S. official in India must be given a taste of the same medicine. Politely, not necessary to blow it out of proportion, but firmly. The message must be clearly understood.

US official response will be off-course that of regret ....

Do you think India should be happy with that ?

Have not US done it before ?

anyway ...I know that this issue will be resolved amicably by two nations keeping in view of larger interests ....

But incidents such as this serve great purpose ....they act as red -flags to us.

India should be very wary of so called growing proximity with US....

Imagine a country which treats our diplomats in such manner ....can it be our ally ?

It is a wake up call for the advocates of Indo- US alignment ...

and if US government is not in the loop ....and US authorities have acted in independent manner ....it is still matter of concern that so called Indo-US warming up is just skin deep thick !!!

Had it been a singular , isolated incident it would have been different issue ....this however seems to be continued saga of humiliation of Indian leadership ....

It begun with humiliation of our president ... then ambassador ....and it continues ...

Last edited:
Preet barara is eyeing US attorney General's post. He wants to make a name for himself. he is being overenthusiastic

Of course he is. Nothing like insulting hindus and Indians for getting into the right side of Evangelical Christian law makers and power brokers.

He has earlier claimed that his Sikh Father and Hindu mother (yes, he spelled out the difference to gain additional mileage) had fled India due to religious reason. LOL.

Of course he is. Nothing like insulting hindus and Indians for getting into the right side of Evangelical Christian law makers and power brokers.

He has earlier claimed that his Sikh Father and Hindu mother (yes, he spelled out the difference to gain additional mileage) had fled India due to religious reason. LOL.

and stupid Indians like us feel elated whenever we hear of any Indian-American being appointed somewhere in US administration ...

Is NYPD stupid enough to arrest Deputy Consul general of India without consulting US State department ???

US official response will be off-course that of regret ....

Do you think India should be happy with that ?

Have not US done it before ?

anyway ...I know that this issue will be resolved amicably by two nations keeping in view of larger interests ....

But incidents such as this serve great purpose ....they act as red -flags to us.

India should be very wary of so called growing proximity with US....

Imagine a country which treats our diplomats in such manner ....can it be our ally ?

It is a wake up call for the advocates of Indo- US alignment ...

and if US government is not in the loop ....and US authorities have acted in independent manner ....it is still matter of concern that so called Indo-US warming up is just skin deep thick !!!

Had it been a singular , isolated incident it would have been different issue ....this however seems to be continued saga of humiliation of Indian leadership ....

It begun with humiliation of our president ... then ambassador ....and it continues ...

Which is why I said that in the event we are not happy with the response, we must pay back in kind. That will be the appropriate response.Best not to drag in other matters into this, make a point & continue doing it as long as it is necessary without making a spectacle of it unless absolutely necessary..

Is NYPD stupid enough to arrest Deputy Consul general of India without consulting US State department ???

I simply don't know what Bharara's office would have done(the NYPD would have simply followed orders), whether or not they would have consulted the state department but NY officials have a history of doing their own thing in such matters which often pits them against the state department. Whether or not that is the case here, we will have to wait & see.

Btw, the arrest by itself does not bother me as much as the manner in which it was done.

Last edited:
and stupid Indians like us feel elated whenever we hear of any Indian-American being appointed somewhere in US administration ...

Kindly do not include me when describing cheering of retards. I am clear about who Indians are and what constitutes being an Indian.

NYPD takes it clues from the District Attorney of NY and not from the State Dept.

It would be reasonable to assume Preet barara would have taken his cue from someone high up in the govt. to further his career. Taking actions against a serving foreign Diplomat and humiliating them in public before her Kids is not a normal occurrence. There is always something deeper and more sinister in such action.

It would be equally Naive to believe only Indian diplomats violate some US law in the course of their tenure in the US. Every diplomat and their consulate members and their family continuously violate some law or the other in the host country. Usually they are dismissed by the state dept. so when such public action is taken, it usually means something more than that meets the eye.

Diplomatic Abuse of Servants Hard to Prosecute : NPR

by LIBBY LEWIS , March 01, 2007

.......Many diplomats assigned to America bring their domestic workers with them. Some servants have accused employers of withholding their passports, restricting their freedom of movement and burdening them with long work days for extremely low pay. Sometimes, allegations of physical abuse also come into play. But because the accused have diplomatic immunity, U.S. authorities can do little against them.

In many ways, the story of Harold and Kimberly Countryman is typical of such accusations of domestic slavery. The key difference: The Countrymans are U.S. citizens.

When Kimberly Countryman was planning the family's move from Korea to the United States, she called a labor broker to find someone who would move to America to work for her. Countryman didn't want to hire a native Korean like herself; she was looking for someone who would be subservient. A Cambodian woman — a survivor of the Khmer Rouge, a widow with four children — answered the ad.

In the United States, the Cambodian woman lived with the Countrymans in a plush, gated house outside Washington, D.C. But she didn't have freedom.

"They held her passport," says Chuck Rosenberg, the U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia. "Her wages came out to roughly a dollar an hour."

He says the woman was berated and sometimes assaulted.

The Countrymans were not diplomats. So when a neighbor tipped off the authorities, the couple were not protected by diplomatic immunity. They were arrested.

Harold Countryman worked for the State Department. His wife hatched the plan to obtain a fraudulent visitor's visa for the Cambodian woman, and her husband went along with it. Now the couple have pleaded guilty to visa fraud, and they're paying the Cambodian woman $50,000 in restitution. Harold Countryman is on probation; his wife is headed to prison.

The Countrymans' story illustrates what the federal government can do when it decides to prosecute a forced-domestic-labor case — and diplomatic immunity isn't a barrier.

But when diplomatic immunity exists, "it's a game stopper," says prosecutor Rosenberg.

"If there's immunity, it's not really worth fretting over how much evidence we would have otherwise," he says.

Nobody really knows how often such servant abuse occurs at the hands of diplomats. No government agency tracks cases.

Recently, the U.S. government's human-trafficking experts asked immigration lawyers in New York and Washington, D.C., how many cases of domestic slavery they had handled in which the employer was a diplomat. The unscientific and unofficial count: more than 40 cases, involving workers from all over the world, from Cameroon to Peru to Russia. None of the cases resulted in convictions.

"The fact that there are these claims means there needs to be investigations," says Gonzalo Gallegos, a spokesman for the U.S. State Department. "And we encourage all of those out there, who believe this may be happening, to go to their authorities and to follow through, so we can find out exactly what is happening and where it is happening."

Immigration lawyer Suzanne Tomatore says she has reported 15 of these cases to authorities. None has been prosecuted. However, Tomatore says the U.S. government has recognized nine of those 15 clients as victims of human trafficking.

"We've actually been able to obtain nine T visas, which are special immigration visas for victims of human trafficking for folks who were trafficked by diplomatic or U.N. officials," she says.

The State Department's Gallegos said he could not talk about specific cases. But he described his agency's approach.

"If there's a criminal act, we seek to lift the immunity of that official," Gallegos says. "If the country denies to lift immunity, we can and have asked them to leave the U.S."

Gallegos says the State Department has asked some diplomats to leave the United States because of domestic abuse. He wouldn't say how many.

But lawyers and human-rights workers argue that the State Department should narrow its stance on the scope of diplomatic immunity. That would allow more accused wrongdoers to be held liable for their actions and be prosecuted in a U.S. court of law.

John Miller recently retired as the State Department's top official on human trafficking. He agrees that the agency should redefine diplomatic immunity, and argues that it could go one step further: by rescinding the special class of visas the United States created for the personal servants of foreign diplomats. The State Department issued 1,957 of these "personal servant" visas last year.

"Why do we even have these visas for domestic servants for diplomats?" Miller asks. "When our diplomats go abroad, they don't require visas to take Americans to do domestic work."

Miller says foreign diplomats should simply hire Americans for their domestic work. Abolishing the special servant visas, he says, would eliminate the whole diplomatic dilemma.

India doesn't tire in claiming herself supaaaa powerrr. Let's see a retaliatory action on US diplomats in India.But no rapes please!!!!

She isn't going to do any jail time even if she didn't have immunity.

My bet is there was some kind of disagreement between the nanny and the consolate employee over payment of back wages since the nanny stopped working in June. Maybe the nanny expected "X" and the consolate member said no it is "Y" and that led to some kind of fuss involving 3rd parties. They looked up the Visa application and saw the amount and now you end up in more trouble.

She proabably was intentionally arrested to embarrass her into paying up.

i think you are stupid defending a lady which bring shame on word india and diplomacy . just go search on google millions of people read it today . on other hand you idiot what abut that poor lady which was used to be nanny without knowing her rights ? she was not human for you ? look like you are some brainless rich person .
Buddy this case is not first time against Indian diplomat. Its considered as racial abuse by India. You will see Indian reaction.

She isn't going to do any jail time even if she didn't have immunity.

My bet is there was some kind of disagreement between the nanny and the consolate employee over payment of back wages since the nanny stopped working in June. Maybe the nanny expected "X" and the consolate member said no it is "Y" and that led to some kind of fuss involving 3rd parties. They looked up the Visa application and saw the amount and now you end up in more trouble.

She proabably was intentionally arrested to embarrass her into paying up.

Of course she is not going to do jail time. US has no authority to take such action, unless it wants the US ambassador in India to also do jail time.

What a lame excuse. For all you know the Nanny was turned by the CIA/FBI and acted like a double agent. She could have very well stolen important documents from the Consulate or could have come across some serious information that compromised Indian National Security.

There is already a case pending against the Nanny and an arrest warrant issued by a Delhi Court. The US is required to hand over the Nanny to India to be deported back and prosecuted under Indian Law.

Maybe she just wanted asylum in the US and is willing to sell out India and her employers just for that very reason and file false charges against them.

Since when did the NYPD act like the trade union mafia and try to extort money out of Indian consulate employees to support runaway nanny's ? Pathetic.

Back
Top Bottom