What's new

Indian deputy consul general arrested in US on visa fraud charges

Seems like there is one rule for the rest & a separate one for US. This is not the first time US misbehaved with Indian diplomats.. & spineless Indian govt's helplessness is embarrassingly blatant. At worst.. US should have stripped Indian national of her diplomatic immunity & deported her back to India to face the charge for her alleged offence. Arresting & charging her goes against all norms of Vienna convention on diplomatic relations. That too a high ranking official...

The US Diplomat has been summoned and there are some unusually strong words coming out from India ... We will see what comes out of these... not sure where you saw helplessness

If I had been Prime minister of India , I would have had expelled US diplomat with immediate effect and would have had revoked diplomatic relations with US ...
Or would have had granted citizenship and asylum to Snowden ....
India must give befitting reply to US ...

When Indian parliamentarians write pleading letters to the US congress to deny visa for a fellow Indian Chief Minister, do not expect any strong action from the congress govt. When MMS run to US prez to complain about Pakistan prompting the Pakistan PRez to call him a "dehati aurat", what kind of action can one expect against the US ?

But certainly a strong response is required, but with Sonia in power, it will only remain wishful thinking.

Raymond Davis was a CIA man. Intelligence agents working for the govt shouldnt be left to die.

He was contractor by CIA He was not direct CIA employee ...He was not entitled to any diplomatic immunity ....

yet US insisted on diplomatic immunity ....

Lot of arm twisting happened ....behind the curtains .

US even threatened Pakistan .

when all legal ploys failed ....US literally bought the 'Justice' exploiting Pakistani Islamic option of Diyya ....

So much for the Defenders of Justice and law ....

The US Diplomat has been summoned and there are some unusually strong words coming out from India ... We will see what comes out of these... not sure where you saw helplessness

Strong words ....my foot !

Not enough to just Summon US diplomat ....

this will not be enough to counter utter humiliation of India that US has perpetrated ....

IF US authorities didn't think of what implications it will have to Indo US relations ....why should we strive to preserve same ...

If we do not give befitting reply to US , such hostile action will be repeated in future .

Humiliation of diplomat amounts to humiliation of country ....and we should not take this incident lightly ...

Strong words and Summons is not enough ....

Last edited:

There was an incident earlier concerning Indian ambassador to US, Meera Shankar. She was embarrassed in one of the US airports. & the trend is just continuing.

Maybe this time Indian govt might show some spunk...but that's only due to certain compulsion!

Let us assume for a minute that she committed crime ! So what ???

was her crime more serious that one committed by Raymond Davis ???

Did US allow Raymond Davis to be subjected to law of land ???

Raymond Davis was not even consul member .

while lady in question is Deputy consul general ...

what do you have to say in such circumstances....???

Guess India and Pakistan both are Banana republics so US can treat them the way it wishes without being afraid of being on wrong side of international convention !!!
meri jaan we can not defend one crime withother . or else we have to go back to first criminal on earth

meri jaan we can not defend one crime withother . or else we have to go back to first criminal on earth

am I defending criminal ?

I am talking about the Diplomatic immunity conferred by Vienna convention ....

You are side tracking the issue ....

I cited Raymond Davis example only to demonstrate US dichotomy and hypocrisy ....

He was contractor by CIA He was not direct CIA employee ...He was not entitled to any diplomatic immunity ....

yet US insisted on diplomatic immunity ....

Lot of arm twisting happened ....behind the curtains .

US even threatened Pakistan .

when all legal ploys failed ....US literally bought the 'Justice' exploiting Pakistani Islamic option of Diyya ....

So much for the Defenders of Justice and law ....

Even so...Suppose he was an Indian agent and India had the power like USA. Would you not expect ur govt of bailing him out anyhow?He was working for the country. India has had a history of letting RAW agents to die in Pakistan.

All im saying is dont compare the Raymond davis episode to this.

Dont get me wrong. I totally condemn this action of USA.I hope she is freed.

The man who ordered the arrest of the indian diplomat is also of Indian origin. Preet Barara, the US attorney for NewYork

Last edited:
Diplomats have immunity only for official acts. Read the rules of Vienna convention. This is her own personal issue and can be arrested. There is nothing illegal about the arrest. She has abused the visa process and the complaint was filed by the nanny.

Not so simple. There is an outstanding arrest warrant for the nanny& the U.S. has been made known of it.

Indian officials presented a more complicated picture of the case. They said the housekeeper, Sangeeta Richard, has been absconding since June this year, and ''in this context the Delhi high court had issued an-interim injunction in September to restrain Ms Richards from instituting any actions or proceedings against Dr Khobragade outside India on the terms or conditions of her employment.''

The US government had subsequently been requested to locate Ms Richard and facilitate the service of an arrest warrant, issued by the Metropolitan Magistrate of the South District Court in New Delhi under Sections 387, 420 and 120B of the Indian Penal Code, they added.

In any case, the public arrest and handcuffing of a diplomat was hardly a sensible thing to do, especially when dropping her children to school. If U.S. authorities wanted to pursue a case, she could have been asked to come in with her lawyer and complete the formalities in a more discreet manner. Public humiliation of a Indian diplomat in this manner will almost certainly evoke strong feelings & invite a tough response. If Mr.Bharara and his office wanted to make a point, it should have been done without appearing to deliberately target & humiliate a country along with the person concerned. She was after all in the U.S. representing the Indian state, not on personal business. It can't be that hard to find a law that some U.S. diplomat has broken in India, even if inadvertently.There are so many obscure laws that it would be pretty much guaranteed. The U.S. would not be doing itself much favour by setting this sort of precedent.

Last edited:
Even so...Suppose he was an Indian agent and India had the power like USA. Would you not expect ur govt of bailing him out anyhow?He was working for the country. India has had a history of letting RAW agents to die in Pakistan.

All im saying is dont compare the Raymond davis episode to this.

Dont get me wrong. I totally condemn this action of USA.I hope she is freed.

I am not comparing the two incidents at all ....

I just cited Raymond davis example ....where US forced its way through ...

Insisting for diplomatic immunity against murder charge ...when it did not exist ....and ultimately buying 'Justice' ....there can't be greater travesty of justice when US exploited Pakistani law of Diyyat while it refused to let its national be subjected to law of Pakistan all along under guise of Diplomatic immunity ....

Same country now tramples the obvious 'Diplomatic immunity' of our emissary ....

For God's sake ! do not patronize US act of shielding Raymond davis ...

Not so simple. There is an outstanding arrest warrant for the nanny& the U.S. has been made known of it.

In any case, the public arrest and handcuffing of a diplomat was hardly a sensible thing to do, especially when dropping her children to school. If U.S. authorities wanted to pursue a case, she could have been asked to come in with her lawyer and complete the formalities in a more discreet manner. Public humiliation of a Indian diplomat in this manner will almost certainly evoke strong feelings & invite a tough response. If Mr.Bharara and his office wanted to make a point, it should have been done without appearing to deliberately target & humiliate a country along with the person concerned. She was after all in the U.S. representing the India state, not on personal business. It can't be that hard to find a law that some U.S. diplomat has broken in India, even if inadvertently.There are so many obscure laws that it would be pretty much guaranteed. The U.S. would not be doing itself much favour by setting this sort of precedent.

Thanks a lot for the post !. The balanced and well articulated posts like yours bring value to blogs like this ...

how do you think that such situation be handled by India ?

Preet barara is eyeing US attorney General's post. He wants to make a name for himself. he is being overenthusiastic

Bataga Christian Kadwa ....

" Means the Converted Christian turns out be much more fanatic Christian ...."

I feel really sorry for such people who have to 'act out' ....to 'exhibit' their loyalty...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom