What's new

Indian companies robbing millions from Bangladesh

Taxi service in Bangladesh on the verge of collapse

By Shahnaz Parveen

DHAKA, Bangladesh - Dhaka's taxicab service is on the verge of breakdown as more than 70 percent of the cabs have been taken out of service.
Taxi service in Bangladesh on the verge of collapse[/B]

According to Bangladesh Road Transport Authority (BRTA), out of the total 10,857 registered taxis in Dhaka around 7,500 cabs have been discarded due to unfit conditions.

However, many cabs especially the black ones are still running on the streets in a run-down condition without valid fitness certificates, officials of the BRTA said.

According to Bangladesh Cab Owners Association, only 6 out of 50 cab companies are currently in business. Others went bankrupt for not being able to repay bank loans.

The owners blamed selection of wrong vehicles, untrained drivers, carjacking and damaged road condition as major reasons behind the dismal state of the service.

"Our drivers were not properly oriented for the duty as cab drivers," said GM Seraj, chairman, Cab Association of Bangladesh and also owner of Cabex Ltd.

Seraj said when taxicab was introduced in the capital in 1999 there were not enough drivers to drive them. Drivers of two-stroke autorickshaws that were phased out in 2001 became jobless and later became taxicabs drivers.

"Without any motorcar driving experience, they captured most of the cabs in a very short time, especially the black ones, which was built for light travelling service," he added.

"Carjacking is also a major reason. We were always held hostage by hijackers and received poor cooperation from the law enforcers regarding the matter," Seraj said.

ASE Delwar, manager, Navana Taxicab, on the other hand blamed selection of wrong vehicles for such heavy duty. "It was a wrong decision to use 800cc Indian light vehicles as taxicabs. These vehicles are not at all fit for such heavy loads."

"Besides, the streets of Dhaka are always in a damaged condition. There are too many potholes that damage these light vehicles," he added.

About 4,407 of the total cabs are air-conditioned yellow cabs while most of the 6,450 non-AC cabs are 800cc vehicles imported from India during the BNP-led government.

Commuters and cab owners said the old and run-down cabs of the city must be replaced by new ones without delay.

SR Khan, general secretary of the cab association and owner of Anudwip Cab, mentioned that confusing policies of the ministry and BRTA regarding taxicab replacement process is hindering the recovery of the sector.

"The rules and regulations imposed for cab replacement and the amount of time it requires for processing is costing us a lot. I have applied two years ago for replacement and received permission only last month," he said.

Khan however hoped that the situation will improve soon as the authorities have recently assured the owners of necessary assistance to boost the service.

Humayun Rashid Khalifa, director (Operations), BRTA said they have placed a set of proposals in September to the Ministry of Communications for amending the Taxicab Services Policy Guideline 1998, to improve taxicab facilities for commuters.

BRTA invited applications for replacement of the old cabs last July. This time 800cc vehicles will not be allowed to operate as cab. Vehicles meant for taxicabs have to be 1350cc or more. Rebuilding old engines will not be allowed either.

BRTA also proposed that companies should run the service. "Earlier there were owners who had only one or two cabs running on the streets. This had made it impossible to control the sector as there were too many owners," Khalifa said.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

See it is the fault of the corrupted politicians.They allowed those Marutis to be used as taxi.

Yes but then its not Maruti's fault. So the title of the thread should be "Bangladeshi Politicians robbing millions from Bangladesh."

I completely agree.

But according to some, India is responsible for all the miseries in Bangladesh.

Hmm.. maybe India is also responsible for all the cyclones hitting Bangladesh.

leon you are saying you against the paenetration of maruti in bangladesh ..is it just because its an indian company?? and not with G.M OR FORD
or what should i rather make out of it
isnt a healthy competition any sector good for any country..and the consumer plenty ...
i am asking this question only to you because others only go in for a single track agenda of india- bashing....none other than that..
which is there sole agenda

BD brothers, let's move on -- yes quality wise Indian cars cannot compare -- but we must focus our attacks NOT on Indians themselves but those within our own government (along with foreigners who coerce/bribe them).

Let's avoid "collateral damage" and "mass punishment" of all peoples.

Some reasons why Bangladeshi cabs are in bad shape are as follows. I hope Maruti has nothing to do with this.

[/COLOR]If you observe pictures you will understand that each cars have lots of dents which means these vehicles are accidentals, not maintained and rashly driven. Maruti 800 is not meant for that.In fact not a single vehicle on this planet can survive in those conditions.

Tata cars 'worst performers' in South Africa
December 06, 2007 17:22 IST

Indian automobile firm Tata Motors' passenger cars have been named as the worst performer among 23 same category vehicles running on South African roads in a new customer satisfaction survey released on Thursday.

Last edited:
BD brothers, let's move on -- yes quality wise Indian cars cannot compare -- but we must focus our attacks NOT on Indians themselves but those within our own government (along with foreigners who coerce/bribe them).

Let's avoid "collateral damage" and "mass punishment" of all peoples.

lets put it this way.. the people who decided that maruthi 800 was to be a taxi cab had absolutely no sense. So people who decided that ? (am assuming some bangladeshi did it) had no sense at all and cannot compare to anyone else in terms of being dumb!!

second, TATA motors, the worst performer in SA is the current owner of "land rover" and "Jaguar" brands. Even now, they are popular brands in USA

third, you are comparing TATA motor's performace in SA, to an Maruthi's performance as a CAB in BD and calling all Indian vehicles as junk! atleast you should compare the same companies or the same kind of cars!!

fourth:
India has emerged as one of the world's largest manufacturers of small cars. According to New York Times, India's strong engineering base and expertise in the manufacturing of low-cost, fuel-efficient cars has resulted in the expansion of manufacturing facilities of several automobile companies like Hyundai Motors, Nissan, Toyota, Volkswagen and Suzuki.[11]

In 2008, Hyundai Motors alone exported 240,000 cars made in India. Nissan Motors plans to export 250,000 vehicles manufactured in its India plant by 2011.[12] Similarly, General Motors announced its plans to export about 50,000 cars manufactured in India by 2011.[13]

India automobile companies, mainly Maruti Suzuki, Tata Motors and Mahindra, have been aggressively expanding their overseas market too. Prominent India-made automobiles which are widely exported include:

Maruti Suzuki - exports Suzuki Alto, Maruti 800, Maruti Omni, Maruti Wagon-R and Zen Estilo [14]

Hyundai Motor Company - exports Hyundai Santro, i10, Hyundai Getz, i20 and Hyundai Accent - 42% of its India production

Tata Motors - exports Tata Safari, Tata Novus and Tata Xenon

Mahindra & Mahindra Limited - exports Mahindra Scorpio and Mahindra Xylo

from : Automobile industry in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

until next time...

regards

Anyone falling for indian sales pitch will only live to feel sorry for trusting indian.

Here are experience from an indian users who bought Tata Safari and found out Tata, worse performing brand in South Africa only good for 973 km.

hi friends i am ravinder bhardwaj from delhi.safari is a good car for just 970 km after it yor maximum time will pass in tata service station this car just have style nothing else even company had takken back some of the car due to problem in their ingines its my request to all readers pls dont buy this cars thanks regards to all

hitesh yadav (New Delhi)
absolutely this car have a great look like a modern beautiful girl but performence is like a uneducated,nonsence women. i tell u in detail

1) u must have a noice in car when u take delivery from showroom.
2) after 2-3 days the one of break, clute, sterring must produce noice.
3) u cant drive in 4th-5th gear(in delhi).
4) workshop will not satisfy u in first time.

Tata Safari User Review : worst car in the market - A Review on Tata Safari by ravinder bhardwaj - CarWale.com

Horrible performance of TATA Indigo - not used as taxi cab

have a tata indigo dicore which i purchased in 2007 july.from koncyo moters calicut kerala.by 10000km i had to change the turbo whic i had to put in work shop for 8 days.then after that there was a sound comming from the engine they told it is the problem with the nozzle whic again i have to put in work shop fro another 4 days ten i could see an oil leak whic the changed the packing of the engine.then i had a problem abt belt sound whic the tata service people made me take the car to work shop almost 10 times and my nearest service center is 60 km from my residence.even now i have this problem wht i feel is the tata service engineer are doing rescerch on the coustmers money.another problem wht i have is my car if 5 people are sitting it does not have the pulling it will not move if it is parked in a slope area.and they promised me 22 km and i dont think i am getting even 18 km .i am very un happy with the car my 30 000 km for servicing it cost me RS 8000 the car is cheap but not happy with the service after reading some reviev i find that all the places the service coustmer are not happy.25 000 km my cars four tyre has to be replaced.the tyre was having un even wear it was good year make.and i di dnot get that replaced the good year excutive came and he told me it may be the problem with brake i service my car in right time.i dont know why tata is using this type of tyres

TATA INDIGO - DIESEL Review, TATA INDIGO - DIESEL Price, TATA INDIGO - DIESEL Mileage, never buy a tata indigo dicore - MouthShut.com

leon you are saying you against the paenetration of maruti in bangladesh ..is it just because its an indian company?? and not with G.M OR FORD
or what should i rather make out of it
isnt a healthy competition any sector good for any country..and the consumer plenty ...
i am asking this question only to you because others only go in for a single track agenda of india- bashing....none other than that..
which is there sole agenda

No,I am against its penetration into our market because this car is not suitable for Bangladesh.You have seen the result of using Maruti800 in Bangladesh.

Vehicles suitable for Bangladesh should be imported,as we don't have any car assembling plant here.(except assembling plant of Mercedese Benz Buses for long distance).TATA buses and trucks are doing well,and I don't mind it gaining market.If you give quality,there will be demand.Its a free market.

Last edited:
I think India always try to destroy the economy of bangladesh in many way also they are try to destroy our army.....

TATA buses and trucks are doing well,and I don't mind it gaining market.If you give quality,there will be demand.Its a free market.
Not all TATA buses have been doing well, Leon. TATA BRTCs could be compared with what an Indian have said about another TATA's car as following,

"Absolutely this car has a great look like a modern beautiful girl but performance is like an uneducated, nonsence women."

I've personally experienced Maruti Taxi's dire straightness on the street and hard that what Indians demonstrated during the sales speech, haven't followed up with deeds like they have sent cars made off used parts thus the durability has become shortened. Similarly they put more codine on Bdesh going Fencies, so our youths get destroyed by drinking them and never become comptent to catch them up. That exemplifies the "Bloody Indian's" dishonesty and you can see it all over the planet as they are avoided by others. I think even if all of them are thrown in hell, they will start smuggling goods from heaven.

Not all TATA buses have been doing well, Leon. TATA BRTCs could be compared with what an Indian have said about another TATA's car as following,

"Absolutely this car has a great look like a modern beautiful girl but performance is like an uneducated, nonsence women."

I don't know the model,but the ones I am talking about are now widely used by private Bus companies here.Its indeed good one.

And talk about Maruti,I feel like getting myself killed when I get on one of those.:hang2:
That's from my personal experience.

Taxicabs worth Tk 80 crore turn into junk
Cheap Indian cars are to blame

Taxicab operators are now counting the cost of their wrong choice of vehicles that forced them to pull 90 per cent of cars out of service much before their average lifetime expired
Their association estimates that return on their Tk 200 crore investment in the nascent service in last six years was much less than expected as light vehicles with low engine capacity lost their resale value. Cars worth more than Tk 80 crore turned into junks.

The blame goes to cheap Indian cars with low capacity engines, which made their way into Dhaka’s streets due to cost-cutting exercise of operators and promotional prices offered by local car dealers.

Affected cab operators now point their finger at the government’s wrong policy that paved the way for low quality Indian cars and forced more than a half of taxicab companies to fold within years of operation.

The insolvent operators are now avoiding the commercial banks which invested in taxicab services. Some others have their garages filled with junk cars and scraps. In 2003, the communications ministry gave permission to 10,000 taxicabs to ply in the city, opening the floodgate for poor quality Indian cars. Initially these taxicabs were given 8-year road permit which was later extended to 10 years. But within five years, taxicab operating companies which invested crores of taka through bank loans realised that their investment went down the drain.

‘Indian made cars are not viable for taxicab service,’ said Mannan Chowdhury, president of Bangladesh Association of Taxicab Operators. The realisation is, however, late and proved costly as more than 70 operators lost about Tk 80 crore in taxicab business.
Only 1,000 taxi cabs are in operation in the capital while the rest are turned into scrap, he added. Anudip Auto Ltd, which got permission to run the highest number of nearly 1600 taxicabs, is now guarding two yards of scraps of Indian cars — one at Mirpur and the other in the outskirt of the capital.

Cab Express (BD) Ltd. Cab One, Cab Bangla Ltd, Cab Salida Ld, Cosmo Cab (Pvt.) Ltd, Nihon Taxi Cab, Cosmo Cab (Pvt.) Ltd, Yellow Lines Ltd and Orion Texi Cab (Pvt.) Ltd were among the companies which pressed low-quality Indian cars into service and suffered losses.
Out of 70 operators, 40 have already folded their business and distanced themselves from banks after failing to repay loans.

Banks and leasing companies like Islamic Bank, UCBL, ICB Islamic Bank formerly known as Oriental Bank, AB Bank, Phoenix and Uttara Finance and Investments Limited, which provided the loans, are planning to file cases against the loan defaulters. An official of the Islamic Bank on condition of anonymity told New Age they are following rules and regulations to realise their loans as they found many taxicab companies ‘simply unresponsive’ despite repeated reminders.

Taxicab operators last week at a press conference demanded waiver of bank loan interest. They have been urging the communications ministry for the last couple of years to intervene into the matter for the protection of their business. Some operators including Navana Tax Cab and Nippon, however, stood out from the rest, and they are doing well with Japanese cars.

Navana manager Ainul Kabir Chowdury told New Age that his company operates around 400 cars, all Japanese, to run their cab business since 2000.

Lack of feasibility study to determine whether the Indian cars were viable for running such business was the main reason for the present debacle, he pointed out. He said the government has of late realised the mistake and decided to allow cars with engine capacity of above 1300 cc for taxicab services from the current fiscal year.

http://www.newagebd.com/2009/aug/04/front.html

Blame everyone else but yourself.........

>By Shahnaz Parveen

DHAKA, Bangladesh - Dhaka's taxicab service is on the verge of breakdown as more than 70 percent of the cabs have been taken out of service.

According to Bangladesh Road Transport Authority (BRTA), out of the total 10,857 registered taxis in Dhaka around 7,500 cabs have been discarded due to unfit conditions.

However, many cabs especially the black ones are still running on the streets in a run-down condition without valid fitness certificates, officials of the BRTA said.

According to Bangladesh Cab Owners Association, only 6 out of 50 cab companies are currently in business. Others went bankrupt for not being able to repay bank loans.

The owners blamed selection of wrong vehicles, untrained drivers, carjacking and damaged road condition as major reasons behind the dismal state of the service.

"Our drivers were not properly oriented for the duty as cab drivers," said GM Seraj, chairman, Cab Association of Bangladesh and also owner of Cabex Ltd.

Seraj said when taxicab was introduced in the capital in 1999 there were not enough drivers to drive them. Drivers of two-stroke autorickshaws that were phased out in 2001 became jobless and later became taxicabs drivers.

"Without any motorcar driving experience, they captured most of the cabs in a very short time, especially the black ones, which was built for light travelling service," he added.

"Carjacking is also a major reason. We were always held hostage by hijackers and received poor cooperation from the law enforcers regarding the matter," Seraj said.

ASE Delwar, manager, Navana Taxicab, on the other hand blamed selection of wrong vehicles for such heavy duty. "It was a wrong decision to use 800cc Indian light vehicles as taxicabs. These vehicles are not at all fit for such heavy loads."

"Besides, the streets of Dhaka are always in a damaged condition. There are too many potholes that damage these light vehicles," he added.

About 4,407 of the total cabs are air-conditioned yellow cabs while most of the 6,450 non-AC cabs are 800cc vehicles imported from India during the BNP-led government.

Commuters and cab owners said the old and run-down cabs of the city must be replaced by new ones without delay.

SR Khan, general secretary of the cab association and owner of Anudwip Cab, mentioned that confusing policies of the ministry and BRTA regarding taxicab replacement process is hindering the recovery of the sector.

"The rules and regulations imposed for cab replacement and the amount of time it requires for processing is costing us a lot. I have applied two years ago for replacement and received permission only last month," he said.

Khan however hoped that the situation will improve soon as the authorities have recently assured the owners of necessary assistance to boost the service.

Humayun Rashid Khalifa, director (Operations), BRTA said they have placed a set of proposals in September to the Ministry of Communications for amending the Taxicab Services Policy Guideline 1998, to improve taxicab facilities for commuters.

BRTA invited applications for replacement of the old cabs last July. This time 800cc vehicles will not be allowed to operate as cab. Vehicles meant for taxicabs have to be 1350cc or more. Rebuilding old engines will not be allowed either.

BRTA also proposed that companies should run the service. "Earlier there were owners who had only one or two cabs running on the streets. This had made it impossible to control the sector as there were too many owners," Khalifa said.

What are you guys crying for......You made a wrong choice....Your Authorities let the Mule do the Horses job and when the Muel dies You blame the seller ...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom