What's new

Indian Army to get new Sniper rifles for LoC on 20th January: COAS

It has nothing to do with distance.

A DMM is assigned to a company or squad, his job is to stick with his team and provide cover.

A Sniper is a soldier with extremely advanced training in asymmetric warfare, survival, recon, intelligence gathering, surveillance, communication, navigation and psychological strength.

A Sniper works alone and his primary job is collecting information, not engaging the enemy. Snipers are only used to kill high value targets, commanders and general rank officers of the enemy.

They're used for sabotage ops, assassinations etc.

There is a HUGE difference between the two.

I don't think Indians are going to catch up with our Snipers anytime soon in terms of skill or dare i say, equipment.

Real world doesn't work like movies.

Spotters essentially are trainees learning on the job.

A Sniper is perfectly capable of performing the entire task.

Here people are foolishly using term "sniper"... I hope that your posts help them to come out from HOLLYWOOD mode...

:) I want to give you positive rating :)

You can buy.

But we've been investing in sniping for 20 years. We have dedicated institutes for research on ballistics, we make our own ammunition, our own rifles, our own scopes, TI sights, training simulation and climatic measurement taking instruments and computers. We have multiple dedicated schools for theoretical studies and dedicated, purpose built ranges for training. We also send graduates to front lines to conduct COIN ops.

In other words, we've built an entire ecosystem for training DMM, Snipers and Sharp Shooters. India buying a bunch of off the shelf rifles isn't going to cut it.

I've been fortunate to see the field manual used by Pakistan Army for Sniper training. Its over 500 pages and is taught in modules. It covers all aspects and is designed based on entirely indigenous research and information.

Pardon my ignorance... can you please name some of these institutes from Pakistan that " dedicated institutes for research on ballistics, we make our own ammunition, our own rifles, our own scopes, TI sights, training simulation and climatic measurement taking instruments and computers "

Thanks in advance...

On skill I could quote the Olympic medals won by our army trained marksmen but I don't want to go their.

They are our best marksmen... I can tell you that best marksmen were busy preparing for Olympic and other sport events... and when I said this earlier on this forum they were laughing at it... no issues...

Plus, the 2018 carnage on LOC has completely changed the view of Indian Army... I know some of the boys are directly recruited from shooting ranges by IA last year... for role of MARKSMAN AND SHARPSHOOTER...

You can buy.

But we've been investing in sniping for 20 years. We have dedicated institutes for research on ballistics, we make our own ammunition, our own rifles, our own scopes, TI sights, training simulation and climatic measurement taking instruments and computers. We have multiple dedicated schools for theoretical studies and dedicated, purpose built ranges for training. We also send graduates to front lines to conduct COIN ops.

In other words, we've built an entire ecosystem for training DMM, Snipers and Sharp Shooters. India buying a bunch of off the shelf rifles isn't going to cut it.

I've been fortunate to see the field manual used by Pakistan Army for Sniper training. Its over 500 pages and is taught in modules. It covers all aspects and is designed based on entirely indigenous research and information.

It is quite similar over here... and a major told me that PARA SF training is nothing in comparison...

Never got the privilege to see the training manual or any other detail...

Existing marksmen just need to ADAPT and FEEL...

The best shooters were busy in other tasks... after looking at the success and effectiveness of Pakistani snipers... IA has already moved swiftly to similar tactic...

Heavy firing is going to subsidise in near future...

So "Supa pawa" is a proud copier of its enemy... :pop:

It has nothing to do with distance.

A DMM is assigned to a company or squad, his job is to stick with his team and provide cover.

A Sniper is a soldier with extremely advanced training in asymmetric warfare, survival, recon, intelligence gathering, surveillance, communication, navigation and psychological strength.

A Sniper works alone and his primary job is collecting information, not engaging the enemy. Snipers are only used to kill high value targets, commanders and general rank officers of the enemy.

They're used for sabotage ops, assassinations etc.

There is a HUGE difference between the two.

I don't think Indians are going to catch up with our Snipers anytime soon in terms of skill or dare i say, equipment.

We have those, probably not in the regular army units, but the BSF.

CSWT picks out accomplished marksmen for sniper training.

Militaries don't treat fifties as precision rifles. Their primary targets are vehicles, communication infrastructure and bunkers.

Meet the "Sheikh of Snipers" Abu Tahsin al-Salhi an Iraqi veteran Sniper. He is credited with killing over 350 ISIS/Daesh fighters. Though he died, while he was advancing in Hawija area of Iraq (May Allah Bless his soul), his pictures always create a strong impression in my mind: An old man with white beard and white head hairs who never gave up even at such an advanced age, fought against Daesh/ISIS thugs and sacrificed his life for his motherland.

View media item 17789
View media item 17790
During the last days of Khilafa in Iraq, ISIS/Daesh was desperate as Khilafa was crumbling and was using VBIED's against contingents of Iraqi military & Paramilitary groups. Those VBIED's were damn powerful, But apart from using .50, Kornet ATGM's were also used to hit the VBIED's. Yes, you are right, but Abu Tahsin did used Steyr HS.50 to kill ISIS/Daeshis. Imagine exploding watermelon! :sniper::sniper::sniper:

He was trained by Soviet Special ops. This guy most likely was an Iraqi assassin all his life. His level of skill is mind-boggling for a humble/noob sharpshooter like myself.

Meet the "Sheikh of Snipers" Abu Tahsin al-Salhi an Iraqi veteran Sniper. He is credited with killing over 350 ISIS/Daesh fighters. Though he died, while he was advancing in Hawija area of Iraq (May Allah Bless his soul), his pictures always create a strong impression in my mind: An old man with white beard and white head hairs who never gave up even at such an advanced age, fought against Daesh/ISIS thugs and sacrificed his life for his motherland.

View media item 17789
View media item 17790
During the last days of Khilafa in Iraq, ISIS/Daesh was desperate as Khilafa was crumbling and was using VBIED's against contingents of Iraqi military & Paramilitary groups. Those VBIED's were damn powerful, But apart from using .50, Kornet ATGM's were also used to hit the VBIED's. Yes, you are right, but Abu Tahsin did used Steyr HS.50 to kill ISIS/Daeshis. Imagine exploding watermelon! :sniper::sniper::sniper:

@Horus Sir LOC is not a place where you have to send the person deep inside hostile territory ... a good marks man can do the job if they have long range weapons and you are right a good sniper needs a long training then fancy rifle..... on LOC a person on Indian can easily shoot on other side .... I still feel sniping is unethical and its like human hunting

In India the decisions takes longer then your country to formalize ... we have shitty special force equipments before Mumbai attacks because red tapism rules and cut in rifles is less then other big equipments thats why these rifles were never the priority

The people who are good hunters are always good snipers as you need all the qualities of a good hunter to be a good sniper from patience , concealment , marksmanship , mental endurance ..........

Last edited:
War is the breakdown of ethics.

@Horus Sir LOC is not a place where you have to send the person deep inside hostile territory ... a good marks man can do the job if they have long range weapons and you are right a good sniper needs a long training then fancy rifle..... on LOC a person on Indian can easily shoot on other side .... I still feel sniping is unethical and its like human hunting

In India the decisions takes longer then your country to formalize ... we have shitty special force equipments before Mumbai attacks because red tapism rules and cut in rifles is less then other big equipments thats why these rifles were never the priority

The people who are good hunters are always good snipers as you need all the qualities of a good hunter to be a good sniper from patience , concealment , marksmanship , mental endurance ..........

It takes ten years of training to produce a "Sniper". You can't just "hand it over" to a soldier and expect him to snipe.
Don't know anything about sniping, but trolling in PDF is possible at the zero-th time....

You thinkbonly buying the best sniper rifles will do the trick?? U need the best men and best snipers more than mere guns. It will be years before they can match what pakistaniz got.
For some folks money is everything...

For example, they even re-use the garbage bags....

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom