What's new

Indian Army to get new Sniper rifles for LoC on 20th January: COAS

It has nothing to do with distance.

A DMM is assigned to a company or squad, his job is to stick with his team and provide cover.

A Sniper is a soldier with extremely advanced training in asymmetric warfare, survival, recon, intelligence gathering, surveillance, communication, navigation and psychological strength.

A Sniper works alone and his primary job is collecting information, not engaging the enemy. Snipers are only used to kill high value targets, commanders and general rank officers of the enemy.

They're used for sabotage ops, assassinations etc.

There is a HUGE difference between the two.

I don't think Indians are going to catch up with our Snipers anytime soon in terms of skill or dare i say, equipment.
Heard from a folk who went to the US Army's Rifle School - the worst part is 24 hours with camouflage and zero movement!! And, that too with a pipe, set in your mouth, to swallow "baby food" type stuffs!!!! The worst of the worst is "pee and poop" in a diaper....

Oh reusing garbage bags is just gross..
Think about the neighbors....

Meet the "Sheikh of Snipers" Abu Tahsin al-Salhi an Iraqi veteran Sniper. He is credited with killing over 350 ISIS/Daesh fighters. Though he died, while he was advancing in Hawija area of Iraq (May Allah Bless his soul), his pictures always create a strong impression in my mind: An old man with white beard and white head hairs who never gave up even at such an advanced age, fought against Daesh/ISIS thugs and sacrificed his life for his motherland.

View media item 17789
View media item 17790
During the last days of Khilafa in Iraq, ISIS/Daesh was desperate as Khilafa was crumbling and was using VBIED's against contingents of Iraqi military & Paramilitary groups. Those VBIED's were damn powerful, But apart from using .50, Kornet ATGM's were also used to hit the VBIED's. Yes, you are right, but Abu Tahsin did used Steyr HS.50 to kill ISIS/Daeshis. Imagine exploding watermelon! :sniper::sniper::sniper:
SubhanAllah...

Do snipers ever get captured alive as POWs?

Are they treated any differently to a normal POW?

Are the Geneva Conventions different in any way for snipers?

@jhungary @denel @gambit @fatman17 @third eye

Cheers, Doc

In an Indo Pak context there is very little that we dont know of each other.

All armies regularly upgrade their weapons, so there is nothing earth shaking thats happening now.

I do not have any inputs of a Sniper being capture alive as a POW , seems most likley ( post WW 2) .

He was trained by Soviet Special ops. This guy most likely was an Iraqi assassin all his life. His level of skill is mind-boggling for a humble/noob sharpshooter like myself.

@Horus
Pardon my ignorance... can you please name some of these institutes from Pakistan that " dedicated institutes for research on ballistics, we make our own ammunition, our own rifles, our own scopes, TI sights, training simulation and climatic measurement taking instruments and computers "

Thanks in advance...

Army has a string of research labs, including ballistics sciences. There's a dedicated Sniper training facility at all large garrisons. There's a dedicated Sniper training school at SIT and the Counterterrorism training center Pabbi and at SOF School at Cherat. There's a facility for training Paramilitary marksmen in Balochistan.

Sniper Equipment stated above is manufactured by a number of Pakistani vendors. The stuff we don't make yet is imported.

@Horus
Pardon my ignorance... can you please name some of these institutes from Pakistan that " dedicated institutes for research on ballistics, we make our own ammunition, our own rifles, our own scopes, TI sights, training simulation and climatic measurement taking instruments and computers "

Thanks in advance...

You can buy.

But we've been investing in sniping for 20 years. We have dedicated institutes for research on ballistics, we make our own ammunition, our own rifles, our own scopes, TI sights, training simulation and climatic measurement taking instruments and computers. We have multiple dedicated schools for theoretical studies and dedicated, purpose built ranges for training. We also send graduates to front lines to conduct COIN ops.

In other words, we've built an entire ecosystem for training DMM, Snipers and Sharp Shooters. India buying a bunch of off the shelf rifles isn't going to cut it.

I've been fortunate to see the field manual used by Pakistan Army for Sniper training. Its over 500 pages and is taught in modules. It covers all aspects and is designed based on entirely indigenous research and information.

There are many places in India where we dedicated training institute for Snipers. People who are interested in joining the same has to first clear AMU course. Infantry School, Mhow or the now called Army War College of Mhow had been running course of Army Marksmanship Unit from 1971 onwards and is regarded highly. We also have dedicated institutes which not only trains Indian Army teams, but also the team for Olympics.

Again Snipers can go for various terrain specific trainings too. One of the most exhaustive training center is in North Eastern India right in Jungles, its highly upgraded version of Andaman training center, which I feel is more focused on costal survival training.

Pls read the previous thread posts. You are also confusing Sniping with Marksmanship.

There are many places in India where we dedicated training institute for Snipers. People who are interested in joining the same has to first clear AMU course. Infantry School, Mhow or the now called Army War College of Mhow had been running course of Army Marksmanship Unit from 1971 onwards and is regarded highly. We also have dedicated institutes which not only trains Indian Army teams, but also the team for Olympics.

Again Snipers can go for various terrain specific trainings too. One of the most exhaustive training center is in North Eastern India right in Jungles, its highly upgraded version of Andaman training center, which I feel is more focused on costal survival training.

Army has a string of research labs, including ballistics sciences.
India has many research labs for ballistics sciences and on the leading one is TBRL - Terminal Ballistic Research Lab of DRDO. Other than this Gujarat FSL also has Ballistic Research Lab and have been doing research and tests for Indian Army.

Then there are private companies with there own Ballistic Research Labs, like DuPont, L&T, Piplav

Pls read the previous thread posts. You are also confusing Sniping with Marksmanship.
In India completion of course for Marksmanship along with a Rank is needed other than basics like Good training scores, good eyesight etc to apply for Snipers program. Thats what I was trying to explain there.

Is that why India is still importing its Sniper gear?

The products of a ballistic lab are made available to the military. None of that visible with the Indian Military so far.

India has many research labs for ballistics sciences and on the leading one is TBRL - Terminal Ballistic Research Lab of DRDO. Other than this Gujarat FSL also has Ballistic Research Lab and have been doing research and tests for Indian Army.

Then there are private companies with there own Ballistic Research Labs, like DuPont, L&T, Piplav

Is that why India is still importing its Sniper gear?

The products of a ballistic lab are made available to the military. None of that visible with the Indian Military so far.

India imports product for specific requirements.
We dont manufacture sniper rifles of 1500m range as of now.
Rifle Factory, Ishapore has been manufacturing the 800m range rifles for CRPF and various state polices and also replacing Heckler & Koch PSG1.

Oh by the way which sniper rifle is developed by Pakistan ?

Rifle Factory, Ishapore has been manufacturing the 800m range rifles for CRPF and various state polices and also replacing Heckler & Koch PSG1.

You seem quite well informed. Could you speculate what Induction of these 6000 sniper rifles will have on the LOC ?

Army has a string of research labs, including ballistics sciences. There's a dedicated Sniper training facility at all large garrisons. There's a dedicated Sniper training school at SIT and the Counterterrorism training center Pabbi and at SOF School at Cherat. There's a facility for training Paramilitary marksmen in Balochistan.

Sniper Equipment stated above is manufactured by a number of Pakistani vendors. The stuff we don't make yet is imported.

Thanks.... Got my Answer...

Indian COAS actually said, India is killing twice as many Pakistani soldiers as Pakistan.
This indian army cheif says what ever he wants but they way they are reacting in panic its so clear. Plus killing civilian and attacking on defence forces is diferrence.
India only believe on killing civilians.

PSG-1 was designed for the Police.

Back
Top Bottom