What's new

Indian Army to get new Sniper rifles for LoC on 20th January: COAS

How can you have "hundreds of snipers" when you don't even have a proper Sniper rifle in service yet?

1500m is a marketing gimmick.

Most engagements take place at night when the visibility is down to 400-500 meters, even with cutting edge TI sights.
Budget issues.
Sniper rifles never got a priority except for spec ops.

You thinkbonly buying the best sniper rifles will do the trick?? U need the best men and best snipers more than mere guns. It will be years before they can match what pakistaniz got.
We already have twice the firepower on LoC compared to Pakistan.
So it won't be a big deal.

I know very well.
And we have hundreds of snipers.

Q:What about the situation along the LoC, with ceasefire violations (over 1,600) breaking all records since 2003?

A: Our response to any ceasefire violation by Pakistan is instant, befitting and proportionate to make its provocative actions cost prohibitive. Ceasefire violations are always triggered by Pakistan to facilitate infiltrations. Our response to such blatant acts of hostility by Pakistan will continue to be prompt.

Its actually below his tittle to lie such blatantly

So you don't have any Snipers, let alone "hundreds of Snipers" since you never had any suitable platform.

Indian SOF may have a handful good shots at best and they're not going to give them out to the Army.

Budget issues.

How can you have "hundreds of snipers" when you don't even have a proper Sniper rifle in service yet?

Without proper sniper rifle I think those "hundreds of snipers" were using pathan air gun to target practice

Picture: Indian army sniper target practicing without any sniper rifle

hqdefault.jpg

:lol:

Budget issues.

Again u missed the point like most indians do, i was talking about best men.. Not fire power . all the best weapons in the world wont help anyone unless u have men who are best. Best of men can turn stones and brass age weapons into death for soft enemy.

Its going to take u guys a few good years to match pakistani men with snipers they have had good few years head start, till u catch up there would be a next good surprise for them on LOC.

Again u missed the point like most indians do, i was talking about best men.. Not fire power . all the best weapons in the world wont help anyone unless u have men who are best. Best of men can turn stones and brass age weapons into death for soft enemy.

Its going to take u guys a few good years to match pakistani men with snipers they have had good few years head start, till u catch up there would be a next good surprise for them on LOC.
Chinese Army people were telling me Pakistanis are good soldiers and pilots. For a country a sixth of India, you guys are breathing fire on the Indian neck. Astonishing!

We have a lot of snipers in the BSF using AMRs, even if the army has gone slow on the sniper department.

But the distances are too less for snipers to be necessary along the LoC.

Also note that he is answering a question for laymen to understand. So there is no need to get technical with snipers vs marksmen.

1500m is a marketing gimmick.

Most engagements take place at night when the visibility is down to 400-500 meters, even with cutting edge TI sights.
Might be but having a stable 1500 m range means that some heads can roll when their guard is down being away from the border.
Increases cost for the opponent having to maintain cover further infield. And the effect on Pakistani morale is not quantifiable.

It has nothing to do with distance.

A DMM is assigned to a company or squad, his job is to stick with his team and provide cover.

A Sniper is a soldier with extremely advanced training in asymmetric warfare, survival, recon, intelligence gathering, surveillance, communication, navigation and psychological strength.

A Sniper works alone and his primary job is collecting information, not engaging the enemy. Snipers are only used to kill high value targets, commanders and general rank officers of the enemy.

They're used for sabotage ops, assassinations etc.

There is a HUGE difference between the two.

We have a lot of snipers in the BSF using AMRs, even if the army has gone slow on the sniper department.

But the distances are too less for snipers to be necessary along the LoC.

Also note that he is answering a question for laymen to understand. So there is no need to get technical with snipers vs marksmen.

I don't think Indians are going to catch up with our Snipers anytime soon in terms of skill or dare i say, equipment.

Might be but having a stable 1500 m range means that some heads can roll when their guard is down being away from the border.
Increases cost for the opponent having to maintain cover further infield. And the effect on Pakistani morale is not quantifiable.

It has nothing to do with distance.

A DMM is assigned to a company or squad, his job is to stick with his team and provide cover.

A Sniper is a soldier with extremely advanced training in asymmetric warfare, survival, recon, intelligence gathering, surveillance, communication, navigation and psychological strength.

A Sniper works alone and his primary job is collecting information, not engaging the enemy. Snipers are only used to kill high value targets, commanders and general rank officers of the enemy.

They're used for sabotage ops, assassinations etc.

There is a HUGE difference between the two.
All movies I have seen show a spotter with a sniper ? Work as a team.
Wiki -" Military snipers from the US, UK, and other countries that adopt their military doctrine are typically deployed in two-man sniper teams consisting of a shooter and spotter.[7][page needed] A common practice is for a shooter and a spotter to take turns in order to avoid eye fatigue.[6][page needed] In most recent combat operations occurring in large densely populated towns, such as Fallujah, Iraq, two teams would be deployed together to increase their security and effectiveness in an urban environment. A sniper team would be armed with its long-range weapon and a shorter-ranged weapon in case of close contact combat."

UNI News: Sir, what are your views on the media reports that Indian army needs more modern sniper rifles?

Army chief Gen Bipin Rawat: The Northern Command of the Indian Army (which takes care of the borders with Pakistan and some parts of LAC) to get new sniper rifles from this month. We are getting one of the best sniper rifles and they will be handed over to Northern Command on 20th January .

So all this drama was about that? Someone gonna make big money over that.

Real world doesn't work like movies.

Spotters essentially are trainees learning on the job.

A Sniper is perfectly capable of performing the entire task.

All movies I have seen show a spotter with a sniper ? Work as a team.
Wiki -" Military snipers from the US, UK, and other countries that adopt their military doctrine are typically deployed in two-man sniper teams consisting of a shooter and spotter.[7][page needed] A common practice is for a shooter and a spotter to take turns in order to avoid eye fatigue.[6][page needed] In most recent combat operations occurring in large densely populated towns, such as Fallujah, Iraq, two teams would be deployed together to increase their security and effectiveness in an urban environment. A sniper team would be armed with its long-range weapon and a shorter-ranged weapon in case of close contact combat."

I don't think Indians are going to catch up with our Snipers anytime soon in terms of skill or dare i say, equipment.
What's this special equipment Pakistan has that the Indians can't buy ? I know you don't mfr any sniper guns.

Back
Top Bottom