What's new

India will buy Russian weaponry at will, not succumb to any US pressure - Def Minister

Zapper

Reaction score
Country
India
Indian Defense Minister Rajnath Singh has affirmed that New Delhi was determined to continue improving military and technical cooperation with Russia and enhance ties between the two traditional allies.

A source close to Russia’s Defense Ministry said that Singh’s visit was crucial for Moscow in terms of reinforcing New Delhi’s unchanged policy towards defence cooperation with Russia despite US pressure.

The Indian delegation indicated that New Delhi planned to encourage collaboration with Russia despite Washington’s threat to slap sanctions against Indian defence enterprises.

Now, there are no serious concerns that India could change its position under US pressure given the fact that New Delhi has made an advance payment of $900 million for the first batch of Russia’s S-400 missile defence system.

Earlier, the Indian media reported that New Delhi and Moscow had signed a $3 billion contract on leasing Russia’s Akula-class nuclear-powered submarine to the Indian Navy. The sides have not officially denied the report and was published by Indian Economic Times (ET) just prior to the Russian-Indian intergovernmental meeting.

If the Indian Navy gets Russia’s Project 941 Akula submarine, New Delhi will be able to use sea-based ballistic missiles with the range of 4,000-8,000 km. These missiles have already been tested in India.
Narendra-Modi-hugs-Vladimir-Putin.jpg

ET reported that India is set to sign a $3-billion deal with Russia this week to lease another nuclear attack submarine that will be customised and fitted with indigenous communications systems and sensors.

The deal for the Akula class submarine — dubbed Chakra III after the first two similar vessels India obtained from Russia — will be the biggest signed with Moscow since the $5.5-billion contract for the S-400 air defence system was finalised last year.

https://eurasiantimes.com/india-not...ure-to-buy-russian-defence-machinery-experts/

Lol, he said that to gain some respect and welcome in the upcoming visit.
Lol really!!
  • S-400 deal has been signed and scheduled to receive next year. US offered both THAAD & Patriot to counter these but we still went ahead with the S-400
  • Due to retiring Mig-27s, additional Mig-29s are being procured as a stop gap. I believe the number is 33
  • Even though we have the capability to build all our naval platforms in-house which we've been doing over the past 2 decades, we still ordered 2 stealth frigates for strategic relationship and also, our shipyards are operating at peak capacity
  • In-talks to avail the additional 40 Su-30MKI clause per the initial contract to fill in the dwindling squadron numbers
  • Production of 464 T-90 Bhishma tanks has started in the Avadi Plant, Tamil Nadu
  • Production of 700k AK-203 rifles for IA in the newly constructed Amethi plant, UP
  • 200 KA-226 choppers to be built at HAL's Nashik facility in addition to HAL/DRDO's Light Utility Helicopter (LUH) and retire all Chetak & Cheetah choppers in service

I think you meant to say Pakistan... :D

Yes, we have all seen throughout the years that India Bows down to no one. India has it's own independent foreign policy which it follows.
Even when U.S Ordered India to stop buying Fuel from Iran, It still Continues to Buy the same amount of Fuel From Iran. Supa pawaa, Jai Hind!

Well that's going to go down like a lead balloon with the US, I can't wait till Trump hears about it. :woot:
Anyway I welcome such news....

If Pakistan was a slave of the US we wouldn't be doing CPEC or pissing off the Yanks every minute of the day LOL

Remember it is your daddy that blames Pakistan for every leaf moving on the planet.

Well that's going to go down like a lead balloon with the US, I can't wait till Trump hears about it. :woot:
Anyway I welcome such news....

India has been buying Russian equipment for a long time, and the US hasn't had a problem with it. The US knows sanctioning India over Russian military purchases will only hurt its long-term strategic interests in the region.

India has been buying Russian equipment for a long time, and the US hasn't had a problem with it. The US knows sanctioning India over Russian military purchases will only hurt its long-term strategic interests in the region.

The US does have a problem with it, a major one. Read the numerous news stories about it.
As for the rest, strategic interests blah, blah it's lip service.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom