What's new

India to manufacture indigenous diesel submarines soon

ashish1

Reaction score
Country
India
With its underwater arm severely depleted, India is preparing the ground to launch an indigenous submarine design and development plan.

In the first step, the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) will set up an agency in Hyderabad to test and certify the steel that will be used in making the indigenous submarine.

The underwater vessel will be made using the same DMR-249A and 249B steel – manufactured by the Steel Authority of India Ltd – that was used to make aircraft carrier Vikrant and P-28 missile corvettes.

vtpixpc.gif

“For underwater applications, we need extensive certification while for surface ships, if the material’s property matches with the benchmark, it could be used. The new agency will have best equipment to test the properties of naval steel,” G Malakondiah, one of the chief controllers at DRDO, told Deccan Herald.

The first industrial scale trial of submarine steel was accomplished successfully. Now, the material needs intensive testing for which the agency would be set up in two years. “The unit would be located close to Defence Metallurgical Research Laboratory, he said.

A parallel effort is on to develop suitable welding technologies and consumables for submarines at Naval Material Research Laboratory, Ambernath.

After the massive accident of INS Sindhurakshak last year, Navy currently has just about 10 functional submarines, most of which are pretty old. Realising the consequences, the government has decided to upgrade four Kilo-class and two HDW-class submarines.

India has purchased six French Scorpene submarines, which are under construction at Mazgaon Dock Limited. The first one is expected in 2016, to be followed by a new submarine in every nine months.

The defence acquisition council approved a second submarine assembly line (P-75I) under which four submarines (out of six) will be built within the country (three at Mazgaon Dock and one at Hindustan Shipyard, Visakhapatnam on transfer of technology) while the remaining two will be made at the collaborator’s yard abroad.

“Tender requirements for P-75I (request for proposal) have been firmed up. It took some time as we wanted to involve four-five major shipyards and had detailed discussions with them,” said Rear Admiral LVS Babu, assistant chief of naval staff (submarine).

The two assembly lines would be the stepping stone for indigenous submarine production as engineers and technicians at the dockyards would receive training and gather experience to take up the challenge.

India to manufacture indigenous submarines soon
tpid=AE1CA8C069B40153C677148F024C6703

The first industrial scale trial of submarine steel was accomplished successfully. Now, the material needs intensive testing for which the agency would be set up in two years. “The unit would be located close to Defence Metallurgical Research Laboratory, he said.
A parallel effort is on to develop suitable welding technologies and consumables for submarines at Naval Material Research Laboratory, Ambernath.

Steel? What steel? India have started producing Nuclear submarine with what kind of steel then?
Welding too they have experience in building Arihant now. I do not see whats the problem.

Well i guess we have now enough know how to build submarines . Steel i guess would be same as arihant and all other workers and engineers who worked on arihant project will be used in this one.

Steel? What steel? India have started producing Nuclear submarine with what kind of steel then?
Welding too they have experience in building Arihant now. I do not see whats the problem.
Well i guess we have now enough know how to build submarines . Steel i guess would be same as arihant and all other workers and engineers who worked on arihant project will be used in this one.

courtesy
Prasun K. Sengupta said...

"A most laughable story indeed. Why? Because DMR-249A and 249B steel, equivalent to Russian AB2 grade steel that went into manufacturing of Project 71/IAC-1, was supplied by ESSAR Steel. For submarines, Alloy Steels Plant (ASP) of SAIL has produced for the first time in India a special grade steel (DMR-292A). The high-strength and low-temperature item was manufactured according to the specifications developed by Hyderabad-based Defence Metallurgical Research Laboratory of DRDO. DMR-292A will be processed into plates through Rourkela Steel Plant (RSP) directly or via Bokaro Steel Plant before supply to DMRL for further testing. Conclusion: S-2/Arihant, S-3 & S-5 nuclear-powered submarines are all being built from imported steel & titanium."

I thought the Indian nuclear submarine is the indigenous sub. So how could it be soon, if it already happened. Are you saying diesel then.

I thought the Indian nuclear submarine is the indigenous sub. So how could it be soon, if it already happened. Are you saying diesel then.

Yes . India does have indegenious capability but its bit disornaised with too many players, to many agencies involved...
Current efforts are to streamline the procedure ..and yes this is related to conventional submarines ....

courtesy

"A most laughable story indeed. Why? Because DMR-249A and 249B steel, equivalent to Russian AB2 grade steel that went into manufacturing of Project 71/IAC-1, was supplied by ESSAR Steel. For submarines, Alloy Steels Plant (ASP) of SAIL has produced for the first time in India a special grade steel (DMR-292A). The high-strength and low-temperature item was manufactured according to the specifications developed by Hyderabad-based Defence Metallurgical Research Laboratory of DRDO. DMR-292A will be processed into plates through Rourkela Steel Plant (RSP) directly or via Bokaro Steel Plant before supply to DMRL for further testing. Conclusion: S-2/Arihant, S-3 & S-5 nuclear-powered submarines are all being built from imported steel & titanium."
I am not getting what you are trying to say,how did you reach to this conclusion???
SSBN Arihant Class Submarine - Naval Technology

you must read more about the russian cooperation in the Arihant-class submarine.
You may have to dig up some old threads to find more information.
you can't rely on wiki

and as far as Prasun K. Sengupta is concerned, he is more knowledgeable man than most of other defence journalists combined.
I have read about the coperation thats why i gave you the links to read on which area we cooperated.
Now which type of sources you want to prove my point??
I have already given you a source.

courtesy

Any idea how he reached the conclusion in bold .

I can understand S2 , S3 as it's construction must have started long before we developed weapon grade steel for IAC1 but S5 ??

you must read more about the russian cooperation in the Arihant-class submarine.
You may have to dig up some old threads to find more information.
you can't rely on wiki

and as far as Prasun K. Sengupta is concerned, he is more knowledgeable man than most of other defence journalists combined.

some members will defer and call him as Prasoon Chorgupta ;)

some members will defer and call him as Prasoon Chorgupta ;)

it depends, actually i rely on my common sense rather than other people's perception towards someone
as i m reading most of the leading defence blog's and forums since 26/11
i can differentiate between more mature and other half baked stories

regards

Back
Top Bottom