What's new

India to ease visa rules for Bangladeshis:

Prometheus

Reaction score
Country
India
New Delhi: Building on improved relations with Bangladesh, India Wednesday said it proposes to ease visa rules for visitors from the neighbouring country.

"There is a proposal to relax the procedure relating to grant of conference visa to Bangladeshi citizens. The matter is under consideration," Home Minister P Chidambaram said in the Rajya Sabha.

Answering questions, he said the categories of visitors for whom visas may be relaxed include professionals regularly visiting India and requiring longer stay than one year in rare and exceptional cases.

Visa on medical grounds including for those accompanying attendants and relatives, may also be eased, Chidambaram said.

As for Indians visiting Bangladesh, he said the visa regime is reciprocal.

To a question from Sushila Tiriya (Congress) whether India was working on a plan to declare a unilateral no-fire zone along the Bangladesh border, the Home Minister said, "No".

While relations with Bangladesh have improved over the last few years, "I agree there are several undemarcated areas on both the sides." He said discussions are on. "There is progress and we would be able to resolve the matter," he said.

Some Indian areas are in their jurisdiction and some Bangladesh land is with India, he said.

The Home Minister agreed that the issue of illegal immigrants from Bangladesh "is a grave problem. But we are addressing it." He said policies of several successive governments had been the same over the years on the matter.

He said as per provisions under the Foreigners Act and Tribunal order, over one lakh illegal immigrants from Bangladesh have been deported and pushed back between 2000 and 2008.

Regarding those who had illegally migrated before 1971 to India, the Home Minister said the provisions to deal with the issue are addressed in the provisions of Assam Accord. India to ease visa rules for Bangladeshis: Govt

Visas for Bangladeshis is a joke.They enter every now and then and become Indias burden.Can anyone please tell me how many illegal bangladeshis are there in India at the moment.

It will bring business and goodwill.

Also illegal immigrant don't need Visa. Also we should be vigilant about the Bangladeshi visited Pakistan in past.

Visas for Bangladeshis is a joke.They enter every now and then and become Indias burden.Can anyone please tell me how many illegal bangladeshis are there in India at the moment.

Not many illegal immigrants Bangladeshi or otherwise will use a Visa to enter the country as that leaves a trail. This is a good step and will encourage mutual trade.

Bangladesh may have more than 1 million Indian poor illegal citizens in its land at present.

As far as I know India gets one of the largest chunk of tourists from Bangladesh.Many are for health,many are students and off course there are businessmen and regular tourists.

No matter how JOKE you think this is,its BIG money for your country.We don't get free treatment nor free education in your country,we pay for the services.

Keep that in mind.

Last edited:
As far as I know India gets its largest chunk of tourists from Bangladesh.Many are for health,many are students and off course there are businessmen and regular tourists.

No matter how JOKE you think this is,its BIG money for your country.We don't get free treatment nor free education in your country,we pay for the services.

Keep that in mind.

You gotta check you figures for tourist arrivals in India. I believe Americans constitute the biggest chunk of tourists to India. In fact I'd be surprised if BD figures even in Top 10.

But that's besides the point. The comment by Mahavira was unwarranted.

You gotta check you figures for tourist arrivals in India. I believe Americans constitute the biggest chunk of tourists to India. In fact I'd be surprised if BD figures even in Top 10.

But that's besides the point. The comment by Mahavira was unwarranted.

It was half a million Bangladeshi who visited India last year, and to my knowledge its the highest number of tourist from any country to India in a single year. If you had any other data please feel free to share that to us.

It was half a million Bangladeshi who visited India last year, and to my knowledge its the highest number of tourist from any country to India in a single year. If you had any other data please feel free to share that to us.

Why bd's visit to hostile enemy land and contribute into that economy? :angry: :tdown:

There are a lot of Bharati students in Sylhet medical colleges. Why????:angry: :tdown:

Why bd's visit to hostile enemy land and contribute into that economy? :angry: :tdown:

There are a lot of Bharati students in Sylhet medical colleges. Why????:angry: :tdown:

hostile enemy land ?????? are you joking ?????? i think you have forgotten India's role in the creation of your country. Very sad indeed. I always think India should have not done anything in 1971, im sure your idea of "Hostile Enemy land" would be quite different then.

Bangladesh may have more than 1 million Indian poor illegal citizens in its land at present.

I have never heard of Indian illegal immigrants in Bangladesh. Especially in such large numbers. Can you provide a source please?

There is no sense in pointing fingers. If there are illegal immigranst living in each other's countries, best thing to do would be to co operate on building a fence across the border, like USA did at the Mexican border. It wont eliminate the problem, but will significantly reduce it.

Thats the only country where BD citizen could travel by land and travel cheap. Its just natural.

Well our education system is 2nd best in south asia after India. And some Indians could find them attractive as well. Uttara womens medical college only run by female students from Indian Kashmir. Their parents finds it safer to send their daughter to a muslim country than to send them in Delhi or Chennai.

There is no sense in pointing fingers. If there are illegal immigranst living in each other's countries, best thing to do would be to co operate on building a fence across the border, like USA did at the Mexican border. It wont eliminate the problem, but will significantly reduce it.

You are right.. India already built the fence and we hope that Indian forces will stop Indians to enter BD territorry. :devil:

But today we just caught a indian with 20 KG of heroine. Its very hard to catch Indians when he could board a plane from India with this much of Heroine with the supervision of Indian agency..
http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/latest_news.php?nid=23580

Well this is dated by at least 4 years but does indicate a general trend. It shows the top 15 visitors by nationality in 2005 and BD is not on that list. And since BD was sending less than 50K tourists in 2005 (the 15th country there was at 45K btw), I hardly expect the number to increase 10 times in 5 years to 500K, as you put it. It would be great if you could dig up data that shows otherwise.

Foreign Tourist Arrival In India 2004-2005 by Gour Kanjilal, Tourist Arrivals To India From Top Fifteen Countries During The Year 2005 With Comparison For The Year 2004 by Gour Kanjilal, India Tourism Statistics by Gour Kanjilal

Again, any number of visitors/tourists is good. I dont intend to start an unnecessary debate here. Was just trying to counter the posts about tourist figures. All in good spirit. :)

Well our education system is 2nd best in south asia after India. And some Indians could find them attractive as well. Uttara womens medical college only run by female students from Indian Kashmir. Their parents finds it safer to send their daughter to a muslim country than to send them in Delhi or Chennai.

Now that was unwarranted and ill-informed Iajdani. How did you infer that? Did you conduct a survey? I had Kashmiri Muslim women as my classmates in my B-school in Delhi. Wonder how they managed.

Back
Top Bottom