What's new

India surpasses China to become world's most populous nation with 142.86 crore people: UN data

Indira Gandhi had a model you guys would like
Forced sterilization is never the way to go in long term planning.
Improving social education on population control and having concessions for the underprivileged is a way better solution.

Doubt the counter was being updated in real time.
Such a historic event deserved more attention. What a pity. I am still optimistic they can look at the data and identify the golden child. After all if we know enough to declare that we are officially lumber one, we must know when it happened.

The baby should be awarded lifetime health care, living expenses, education needs, .. all the way to full burial expenses.
Absolutely. Including psychiatric support. We may blame the kid for heaping this ignominy on us.

I thought hindus didn't need population control.

@NagaBaba , ??
Well all Indians need it for the sake of population control. But if India mandates ‘2 child policy’ to Muslims, then I guess Islam will be in danger. Again!

So I guess it should be only for the Hindus.

Even just 1 rapist is enough to terrorize people and animals. how are you advocating for 2 indians?
I know I took some liberty there. I forgot that the rapes happen only in India. Sorry about that buddy.

now west/US/canada have millions more illegal immigrants to deal with

Educated middle class hindus mostly have 2 kids anyways (Gen Y)
Govt needs to have more educational policies for the underprivileged about population control.
No need to modify nature. Nature has its way of always finding a stability. Look at China who tried to stop its people having more than one child, today even the CCP is regretting for adopting that policy and keeping it in force for decades, since it not only changed the country's youthful population growth but also altered the country's social fabric by leading to huge inbalance between men and women(since many couples who wanted boys had to resorrt to aborting their female unborn child as they only had one chance to have a boy due to the one child policy). Now CCP is trying everything they can to encourage Chinese people to have more children, yet the people dont even want to do so. Lol Reason China is headed South Korea, Japan's way with ever declining aging population eventhough China is not even a developed country yet unlike South Korea and Japan which is more understandable.
So India shouldn't make the same mistake. As income rises in India people will automatically start having less children(as its already happening in most wealthy Indian states), just like Indian wealthiest states where population growth is at its lowest already. So let nature follow its course. Don't advance your countrys population demise/issues before its time like CCP did.

Last edited:
China is headed South Korea, Japan's way with ever declining aging population eventhough China is not even a developed country yet unlike South Korea and Japan which is more understandable.
So India shouldn't make the same mistake. As income rises in India people will automatically statt having less children, just like Indian wealthiest states where population growth is at its lowest already. So let nature follow its course. Don't advance your countrys population demise/issues before its time like CCP did.
How many people Japan and Korea have? how many people China has? your comparison is so absurd. next time you can compare China with Hong kong or Singapore.

How many people Japan and Korea have? how many people China has? your comparison is so absurd. next time you can compare China with Hong kong or Singapore.
Using your logic since China has a big population and a far bigger land area than Soith Korea and Japan, then China should encourage its people to stop having children altogether . That way China's population can fall to less than half of its current size in 2 decades or so. 😁 i wonder why CCP is trying so hard now to encourage Chinese people to have more kids, why do this when China is already so big and populous? ..seems they are stupid. 😁

Using your logic since China has a big population and a far bigger land area than Soith Korea and Japan, then China should encourage its people to stop having children altogether . That way China's population can fall to less than half of its current size in 2 decades or so. 😁 i wonder why CCP is trying so hard now to encourage Chinese people to have more kids, why do this when China is already so big and populous? ..seems they are stupid. 😁
it has upside and downside, you can not say it's all right or all wrong, I personally think it was necessary in the first place when China was very poor and didn't have enough resources and wealth for everyone and the population were stuck in poverty, around half of the people globally lived under UN povertyline were Chinese back then, now it's zero.

But I think the government should've done away with this policy around 2000-2010 timeline, now it's bit of late. China has a super large population base, so if China is willing, it fill has a lots of time and room to change this trend, with a over 900 million high quality workforce, some decline in population is the last thing China worries.

it has upside and downside, you can not say it's all right or all wrong, I personally think it was necessary in the first place when China was very poor and didn't have enough resources and wealth for everyone and the population were stuck in poverty, around half of the people globally lived under UN povertyline were Chinese back then, now it's zero.

But I think the government should've done away with this policy around 2000-2010 timeline, now it's bit of late. China has a super large population base, so if China is willing, it fill has a lots of time and room to change this trend, with a over 900 million high quality workforce, some decline in population is the last thing China worries.
No,it is a major headcahe and issue for China . Even the CCP recognises this and has been trying all sorts of inventives to increase birth rates but all this has been invane. Same with Japan and South Korea's government and all those facing similar issues. The fact, you seem to think its no big deal contrary to what all the leadership of your country and all those aroundwho face this issue think is funny.
Since you think its no big deal, then we can only hope your countrys birth rates will keep reducing to a point of no return then. Since that will be a good thing for China to reduce its population even more. 😁

China has a population of 142.57 crore, the UN data showed​

population1-sixteen_nine.jpg

India has surpassed China to become the world's most populous nation with 142.86 crore people, UN data showed, reported PTI on Wednesday.

China has a population of 142.57 crore, according to the UN world population dashboard. The United States is a distant third, with an estimated population of 340 million, the data showed.

According to a new UNFPA report, 25 per cent of India's population is in the age group of 0-14 years, 18 per cent in the 10 to 19 age group, 26 per cent in the age bracket of 10 to 24 years, 68 per cent in 15 to 64 years age group, and 7 per cent above 65 years.

Estimates by different agencies have suggested that India's population is expected to keep rising for nearly three decades before it peaks at 165 crore and then start declining.

The population demographics of India vary from state to state. Kerala and Punjab have an ageing population while Bihar and Uttar Pradesh have a young population, experts have said.

Andrea Wojnar, the representative for United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) India and the country director for Bhutan, said that ''India's 1.4 billion people must be seen as 1.4 billion opportunities''.

''As the country with the largest youth cohort -- its 254 million youth (15-24 years) -- can be a source of innovation, new thinking and lasting solutions. ''The trajectory can leapfrog forward if women and girls, in particular, are equipped with equal educational and skill building opportunities, access to technology and digital innovations, and most importantly with information and power to fully exercise their reproductive rights and choices,'' she said.

Wojnar said that ensuring gender equality, empowerment and advancing greater bodily autonomy for women and girls are the key determinants for a sustainable future. Individual rights and choices should be respected, and all should be able to decide when to have children, if any, and how many, she said.

''Women and girls should be at the centre of sexual and reproductive policies and programmes. When rights, choices and equal value of all people are truly respected and held, only then can we unlock a future of infinite possibilities,'' the UN official added.

Although India and China will account for more than one-third of the estimated global population of 8.045 billion, the population growth in both Asian giants has been slowing, at a much faster pace in China than in India.

Last year, China’s population fell for the first time in six decades, a historic turn that is expected to mark the start of a long period of decline in its citizen numbers with profound implications for its economy and the world.

India's annual population growth has averaged 1.2% since 2011, compared with 1.7% in the 10 years previously, according to government data.

It has do with Indian made condoms

No,it is a major headcahe and issue for China . Even the CCP recognises this and has been trying all sorts of inventives to increase birth rates but all this has been invane. Same with Japan and South Korea's government and all those facing similar issues. The fact, you seem to think its no big deal contrary to what all the leadership of your country and all those aroundwho face this issue think is funny.
Since you think its no big deal, then we can only hope your countrys birth rates will keep reducing to a point of no return then. Since that will be a good thing for China to reduce its population even more. 😁
All sorts of incentives? lol, Do you know China has still not fully lifted family plan restrictions?

All sorts of incentives? lol, Do you know China has still not fully lifted family plan restrictions?
Of course, even though CCP has been very conservative in enacting drastic reforms concerning major issues, they still change their one child policy to 2 child policy then a few years after to 3 child policy and im sure a few years from now they will lift it up altogether. Since they have realised that even with the lifting of one child policy , Chinese men and women dont want to have children much anyway so it makes no difference havibg a 3 child or 5 child policy anyway. Lol . So it makes basically NO DIFFERENCE and they realsied that. Reason I think they are trying different incentives instead of relying on 3 child policies. Since Chinese people refuse to have much children anyway. Lol it will only keep getting worse with each passing years with rising income.
Plus yes Chinese cities are now adopting different incentives to encourage couples to have more children invane.

Some cities have even lifted the mandation of marriage or having children out of wedlock in the hopes of encouraging women to have more children even if its outside wedlock, and many such various policies and incentives will only keep multiplying with time as authorities keep trying to increase birth rates. Yet all this hasn't changed anything as birth rates keep falling and will only keep falling more with time. To be honest, I can't blame the CCP anymore since today it seems NO MATTER WHICH POLICIES THEY TRY TO COME UP WITH ,CHINESE PEOPLE WILL REFUSE TO HAVE MORE KIDS DUE TO RISING LIVING STANDARDS, HIGH HOUSE PRICES, WOMEN WORKING LONG HOURS ETC ETC. So it's inevitable. Japan and South Korea have tried all sorts of policies , none has work. So China isn't any different. I think its only natural, as people get wealthy they dont want much to do with the burden of having children. Nature will take it course and stabilise as always. Remember Korean used to have high Brit rates and multiply like crazy during the 50s after Korean war, but the government never adopted one child policy, and their birth rates eventually stabilised and fell with time due to rising living standards..now the government is even begging them to have more kids but the people dont want to. Nature always finds stability at one point. You dont need to interfere in this area.😁

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom