What's new

'India supports for EU waiver on trade preferences to Pakistan'

The 'because' doesn't matter, AM. We're talking business here.
Sure, talk business, India and Bangladesh enjoy a greater market share because of lower tarrifs than Pakistan as well as wars and natural disasters impacting Pakistan's industry and economy, that were out of Pakistan's control.

...and what were the grounds for that even if that did exist?

Personally, I believe this would be true of the time when India was far worse economically than Pakistan.
I thought your position was that there should be no 'unfair concessions', and using the Indian argument here, 'India's worse economic condition was not Pakistan's fault', so why did Pakistan pay a price in the form of lower tariffs for India and Bangladesh?

Both countries enjoyed ripping off Pakistani industry by utilizing 'unfair concessions' in years past, and now you want to throw a fit because Pakistan might do the same.

The floods and WoT in Pakistan were not of India or Bangladesh's doing. Why should we pay up?
India and Bangladesh's poor economic condition was not Pakistan's doing, so why did we pay up?
Sure! You have a problem, please take it up with the NSG.
Sure! You have a problem, please take it up with the EU and MMS.

We're not in the habit of giving things up voluntarily.
So what?

Your losing money was not of India and Bangladesh's making. Why should they be the ones who are asked to pay?
When India and Bangladesh enjoyed lower tariffs, yes Pakistan's losing money was of both countries making.

Sure, talk business, India and Bangladesh enjoy a greater market share because of lower tarrifs than Pakistan as well as wars and natural disasters impacting Pakistan's industry and economy, that were out of Pakistan's control.

I thought your position was that there should be no 'unfair concessions', and using the Indian argument here, 'India's worse economic condition was not Pakistan's fault', so why did Pakistan pay a price in the form of lower tariffs for India and Bangladesh?

Both countries enjoyed ripping off Pakistani industry by utilizing 'unfair concessions' in years past, and now you want to throw a fit because Pakistan might do the same.

India and Bangladesh's poor economic condition was not Pakistan's doing, so why did we pay up?

Sure! You have a problem, please take it up with the EU and MMS.

We're not in the habit of giving things up voluntarily.

When India and Bangladesh enjoyed lower tariffs, yes Pakistan's losing money was of both countries making.

India and Bangladesh were, at a point in time far worse on the economic development scale than was Pakistan.

India and Bangladesh, I presume, met the pre-established criteria for getting concessions.

India stopped getting the concessions when its economic condition improved.

Bangladesh, if I may extrapolate the same reasoning, will also stop getting the concessions once it reaches that economic development threshold.

Pakistan, just like India, is already past that threshold. Hence, Pakistan does not need any such concessions.

Pakistan is not a least developed country anymore.

Try to look at it this way.

Even today all three among India, Pakistan and China get foreign aid but we all know who needs it the most.

Pakistan doesn't need the trade concessions anymore. Bangladesh does and India also did at a point in time.

BTW, turning you reasoning back to you, I can also say that Bangladesh's trade concessions are completely justified because in undivided Pakistan, west Pakistanis gleefully neglected any and whatsoever needs that the East Pakistanis had vis a vis development. Point is, I can also say that most of the throes of erstwhile East Pakistan are because of west Pakistan and hence West Pakistani should also pay up for the losses suffered by the East Pakistanis.

..but I know it doesn't work that way.

If pakistan want's concession because it has afghanistan in backyard then india should get double concession because we have pakistan and afghanistan both in our backyard.

Yes - the waiver allows India to potentially utlize domestic fuel reserves for weapons production while legally importing fuel for her NPP's.

The technological cooperation with nations that have advanced NPP designs will benefit Indian Science and Technology, and potentially have other impacts downstream of the NPP's, and perhaps from technological spin-offs and alternate applications.

The construction of NPP's allows India to tap another resource for power generation, which Pakistan is restrained from doing, and therefore gives Indian industry an 'unfair advantage' over Pakistan in terms of having additional power resources to tap for production.

Indian NPP addition is at the COST of Pakistan ? --- NO

Indian nuclear technology cooperation is at the COST of Pakistan ? --- NO

Is Indian Nuclear Industry competing with Pakistan Nuclear Industry in trade ? --- NO

Your flawed arguments are of no use.

If Pakistan cannot tap nuclear energy for electricity generation , is it India's fault ?

We are talking about trade concessions here , if you have read the topic of the thread correctly.

Ignorance is blessed.....

I think we should leave the judgement part on the readers here to judge as to who is more ignorant here. You really think India has done this after trying to block it on every occasions, with the goodness in its heart. yeah right.
India has yet to achieve that influence which it wants its ignorant raiya to believe.

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

This is so wrong, man.

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

Humko maloom hai jannat ki haqeeqat lekin, dil ke khush karne ko Ghalib ye khayal accha hai...

I hope you are enjoying your time out.

Dont get too carried away. Pakistan would have gotten the waiver anyhow. When India realized this, they did the right thing. Instead of opposing a just cause why not start supporting it and send a positive signal.

Oh really ... turn back a few pages and you will know what happened. India blocked this process at the bud. Your theory has no substance.

Well if its true then its a welcomed gesture -- otherwise it was not necessary as it did not involved India

Its almost like Angelina Jolie wants to visit Pakistan , and Indian Prime Minister comes on TV and says we do not object I mean if she wants to come to Pakistan , why are Indians giving permission :lol:

Well if its true then its a welcomed gesture -- otherwise it was not necessary as it did not involved India

Its almost like Angelina Jolie wants to visit Pakistan , and Indian Prime Minister comes on TV and says we do not object I mean if she wants to come to Pakistan , why are Indians giving permission :lol:

I think you should advice this to your government first

Foreign Office spokesperson Tehmina Janjua said

My uncle is going to Pakistan next month - is it ok with india ?

May be because Angelina Jolie and your uncle not taking export market from India and giving it to Pakistan which is against WTO rules.

I see ... I see ... but India surely has many customers I mean who know we might buy more stuff from you I think the approach is good do trade and let other do trade and let the stuff sort it self out

By the way what is the WTO ... I am not sure who made it a mandatory think its open world you sell to who ever wants to pay for it ... just too complicated these world business ...

My uncle is going to Pakistan next month - is it ok with india ?
Well your uncle's visit to any where inthe world won't effect my Uncle ...but a EU waiver on trade preference to your Uncle will definatly effect my Uncle who is in the same field

Dont get too carried away. Pakistan would have gotten the waiver anyhow. When India realized this, they did the right thing. Instead of opposing a just cause why not start supporting it and send a positive signal.

Two points:

1) It was entirely upto India to decide whether to grant the waiver or not as it is the Indian market that is getting eroded due to this move and WTO rules male it crystal clear.So yes it is not us getting carried away, but rather you.

2) Next time you hear about some pakistani garment manufacturer making some money through exports to EU consider it our generous aid to a nation that is suffering from problems which are mostly due to its own faulty policies and not able to stand on its own feet and needs crutches like these to survive.

Oh really ... turn back a few pages and you will know what happened. India blocked this process at the bud. Your theory has no substance.

So you are saying your theory has substance......ohh but i forget you don't have one. But the way this is no theory, its a simple fact. Just because India was able to delay the process and let me repeat delay and not block the process as many of my Indian friends here think, does not mean India would have continue to do so. As much as you guys don't wana accept, Pakistan has its own importance and its own share of influence in the global theater.

AFAIK, Bangladesh continues to enjoy lower EU tariffs that both Pakistan and India, and in the past both India and Bangladesh had lower EU tariffs than Pakistan, ostensibly because of being in a 'lower development bracket'.

So since India and Bangladesh both had no issues with 'unfair concessions', instead of competing fairly with Pakistan at the same tariff rates, it is rather hypocritical to argue against trade concessions for Pakistan for a limited time.

Back
Top Bottom