What's new

India shouldn't expect Russia to come to its defence if China were to violate the Line of Actual Control, says US deputy NSA Daleep Singh

Prepare for the wars you have to fight instead of wars you want to fight.

Yes I think the prime adversary for India is Pakistan, and given the state of the military equipment both in development and procurement India is nowhere close to being able to achieve its strategic goals. We take most of our casualties in the western border not the eastern.

Next coming to china, the impetus is on strategic development to mitigate risks posed by China, Russia has always backed strategic development for India whether it is training Nuclear Subs, or aiding in building homegrown SSBN, Combat sqdn strength, armored strength, Surface Ships, Naval components, long-range radars, Artillery development; even small arms that aid in gaining strategic deterrence against China (and strategic superiority against Pakistan).

As I said, Russia is not same cookie as the rest.
You think I actually want India to fight a war with China? A war that I know India will not likely win?! That is crazy talk.

What I do know is that future will not be forgiving for those who do not prepare for the worst. Like any mutual funds investment ad will tell you - 'past performance is not a guarantee of future results'. Thus far, India may have thought of China as a enemy that can be avoided a war with. But after Dokhlam, things have changed. I'm sure MoD worries more about arming India to parry China than with Pakistan.

Today's Russia is in China's mercy than it has ever been before. Putin has put Russia completely in the mercy of China. Russian military industrial complex will depend on China entirely for its electronics, now that US and Japan have imposed an embargo. Russia can only trade in Yuan. The writing is on the wall.

There is a fundamental disagreement between you and I in terms of who is India's primary enemy. If India is ONLY fighting with Pakistan, then I would be willing to consider that Russia can be relied upon to continue arms supply in conflict. But I do not think that Pakistan is or will be India's primary enemy even if there is a border flare up as long as the Chinese make it blatantly obvious that they intend to direct contest Indian territories in the North.

1648739266991.png

India doesn't need to look further than 1971 and see how the US ran away with tails between its legs in the Bay of Bengal, didn't really leave a good impression then.

Indian's are shrewd people they'll milk the West for assets, but will never fight China as it really doesn't have a beef with China besides a border line and none is going to full scale war in this day and age over that as it makes no difference to India anyways.

Yes. India has no reason to aggravate the situation from the current level. There is no social, religious, cultural or ideological conflict with China. Aksai Chin is a thorny issue but not a deal breaker. It is a pretty inconsequential piece of land in any case. India has to avoid being slowly nudged into a hostile mode with China simply at American behest. We have to live here, not US. China isn't going anywhere.

Yes. India has no reason to aggravate the situation from the current level. There is no social, religious, cultural or ideological conflict with China. Aksai Chin is a thorny issue but not a deal breaker. It is a pretty inconsequential piece of land in any case. India has to avoid being slowly nudged into a hostile mode with China simply at American behest. We have to live here, not US. China isn't going anywhere.
You think that the US told CCP that Arunachal Pradesh is South Tibet? :laugh:

You think that the US told CCP that Arunachal Pradesh is South Tibet? :laugh:

No they haven't. It is an old dispute. But I am talking about the future in reference to being used for American interests. China's claims on Arunachal, for all practical purposes, have not been as much of a concern as our western border. I really don't know if a settlement is possible with China, but I do believe they don't want a large scale war either. So unless there is a fly in the ointment, status quo can continue.

Cool. Tie some rocks to your legs and take a plunge into Pangong Tso lake

No they haven't. It is an old dispute. But I am talking about the future in reference to being used for American interests. China's claims on Arunachal, for all practical purposes, have not been as much of a concern as our western border. I really don't know if a settlement is possible with China, but I do believe they don't want a large scale war either. So unless there is a fly in the ointment, status quo can continue.
I hope what you say in true, sincerely. I do not want India to be involved in wars that it cannot win.

But the events in Galwan have shown that China is aggressive with its claim. Nehru also believed that nothing will happen, until it happened. Now a lot of people will say that forward policy is at fault, but policies are interpreted by officers on the patrol field. Indian side's statements make it apparent that they were following the established agreements and yet the conflict did happen.

India cannot wish away possible future conflicts because it is convenient to do so. Better to prepare for the worst and align with the right people. Even if India is bound to loose, it will have to do so with enough leverage left to negotiate an acceptable outcome.

Surprise, Surprise..... India doesn't expect any such Aid from anyone. Indian security is Indian business. No one will aid us, we know that and we will have to build our strength to that same reality.
Because you would have helped Russia in a war against NATO?

India doesn't need to look further than 1971 and see how the US ran away with tails between its legs in the Bay of Bengal, didn't really leave a good impression then.

Indian's are shrewd people they'll milk the West for assets, but will never fight China as it really doesn't have a beef with China besides a border line and none is going to full scale war in this day and age over that as it makes no difference to India anyways.
You are correct. As for right now, talks for demilitarization are talking place. I’d prefer a nuetral zone consisting of modern day Ladakh.

As far as “shrewdness” is concerned, the west hasn’t given us shit besides moral lectures. So we are we failing in this too.

I have a simple response to when the Americans ask us, on whose side we are. And I believe, most of India will say the same thing our EAM said to the press. We are on our side.

Pakistan could try to calm the Chinese after we capture occupied Kashmir and the Chinese have liberated northern Indian states from BJP tyranny.

I'm not promising anything to Indians but neither are the Americans, I can assure you 🤣

Last edited:
Because you would have helped Russia in a war against NATO?

Why would we get involved in fighting 2 male elephants? We will simply do what we are doing now. Stay out of the way.

You are correct. As for right now, talks for demilitarization are talking place. I’d prefer a nuetral zone consisting of modern day Ladakh.

As far as “shrewdness” is concerned, the west hasn’t given us shit besides moral lectures. So we are we failing in this too.

You mean Aksai Chin.

Back
Top Bottom