What's new

India set for transit in Bangladesh

No body said there are any problem with good relation with india.. even before this AL government it is not as if relation with india was bad... but good relation should not go to a limit of appeasement.. and against the interest of the country..

I just asked a honest question to the indian... will you agree with a loan and project with the following term which was given for bd...

India will only decide which are the projects will be done with 1 billion dollar... and indian foreign ministry will approve that....

It clearly indicates that here interest of india will be served more than bds interest as india will select which are project will be done..and where is the sovereignty of bd here...

All the project must be done by indian companies... if any outside help is needed than india will decide the company or contractor

Why??? such clause.. for the competitiveness it is always desirable to select contractor or company by tender.... then why we will have to give contract to the Indian companies with out any tender...???

N more imortantly if indian companies delay the project to implement than bd will have to pay interest for it...

N lastly when most of the project will only be used by the indian mostly... then why should bd take such loan and need to pay it with interest when it does not have any say on the project...

Can you provide a link which confirms the terms and conditions you have written on top?

I can understand the part of Indians having some oversight on the loan to ensure that it is being used by BD correctly, after all, a billion dollars is not chump change. But the other things you mention do seem excessive.

India will only decide which are the projects will be done with 1 billion dollar... and indian foreign ministry will approve that....

It clearly indicates that here interest of india will be served more than bds interest as india will select which are project will be done..and where is the sovereignty of bd here...

All the project must be done by indian companies... if any outside help is needed than india will decide the company or contractor

Why??? such clause.. for the competitiveness it is always desirable to select contractor or company by tender.... then why we will have to give contract to the Indian companies with out any tender...???
This $1billion private Bank loan is meant to serve only the Indian business interests. This so-called loan is only a credit, and is same as the credits extended by the credit companies. BD will buy now within the limit of $1 billion and will pay latter in installments.

India wants to sell its products. So, India knows which products they are capable to produce and sell. This is why india says it will decide about the products. This is the reason BD is not allowed to use this money for open bidding or purchasing from other countries.

This so-called loan money is lying with the lender Bank. When BD makes a purchase, the Bank makes the payment to the Indian seller. This money is certainly not a typical loan available in the rich countries or other international lending agencies like ADB, WB or IMF.

Yes he said about the energy and power equipment transfer deal... not the whole transit.... n if it is a temporary deal... then why bd is paying for this not india...

BD is paying nothing, $1 billion is paying for it.

1 billion is not a fair amount for a any large scale infrastructure project.... even a simple express way in dhaka will cost around 2 billion dollar.... n this this 1 billion will consist of rail way... port terminal... which will mostly be used by india... not by bd... then what was the necessity of bd to sign such deal... which bd will hardly use... N there are many agencies and donor through which loan can be secured... 1 billion loan is not a big deal...

For transit access for some equipment one billion is not enough. When and how did you draw that conclution? How did you came with $2 billion number, please explaine. When the project is done its BD will keep all the infrastructure, so statement dose not compute. $1 Billion is not a big deal, for a third world country it is a big deal, not trying to undermine BD on this but for any third world country it is a big deal.

This is not only bnp but recently CPD also raised the issue... which is most AL supporting group with debapriyo bhottacharjee its head... n many other policy maker group also raised the issue... If we are taking loan it is fine.. then why india will decide which project we will do and indian foreign ministry will give the approval and why india only companies we will have to select??? If we will have to invest... then we must have done it through tender and should select the best group... but it will not be possible with the signing of the deal...

When you invite or have a deal with other country you just cant look for benefits for the other host country. Why do chinese are buildin Gawadar at Pakistan, becuase it not only benefit Pakistan but it allowes chinese to ship thier material through Pakistan in future. So your statement is unfounded.

Billion dollar loan, million dollar questions

It is your illusion which is trying to divert from the main issue of this 1billion loan deal...

I never said infrastructure is bad for bd economy... show me where I said that... I said the infrastructure which bd will not use and india will mostly use and the amount that we will have to give back with money... is hardly of any use for bd... n here india will decide which are the projects will be done not bd... n only indian companies will be selected... just justify how this is good for bd??

It is not that BD people will be banned from these roads or Indian will destroy it when project is complete, it is merely a business deal in whuch both countries will benefit. And yes you heard me, I said BOTH.

Bangladesh is not in such a poor financial condition that it can not buy korean bus... and we will have to buy lower graded indian bus...

$29.9m deal to import 255 CNG buses from Korea signed

You are entitled to your opinion about the Indian bus standards but still there is more than just cost. If BD dont want to buy it, dont buy it. Go raise voice against it infront of your PM's house.

That was the comment from BSTI chairman... and all the equipment is meant for testing measurement purpose... but indian equipment are of very poor quality..that is the reason why even india does not buy indian product for those purpose..

Again if you dont like it, dont buy it or use it but Indian companies are in huge profits for a reason.

I am again saying infrastructure should be built which is needed for bd people... for example now we can buy billion dollar airport in every district which we does not need... will it provide any benefit to bd???

Who is building Billion dollar airport in every district?

Not much... it was just a excuse to make the transit free for india... how much bd will export to nepal and bhutal.. where the market is dominated by indian and chinese goods and where the market is so small... this is bhutan and nepal which was asking to use mongla and chittagong port... n this color has been given to make the transit free for india .. where there are no limit for india.. how much product they will be allowed to pass

This request for transit route to Nepal and Bhutan was made to Indian governent by ND government. You should do some search using google why to BD government wants that. I dont want to post all the links because I dont like baby spooning.

I told you nepal and bhutan market is not that lucrative and big which is mostly dominated by chinese and indian goods... N that rail link for this reason will bring hardly any benefit for india..

Well may be not to you but ask those traders who wanted thier government provide access to those markets.

Here by giving transit to india we are supposed lost a big market share in the NE india, myaanmar, and south east asia.. n obviously without any benefit as this transit will be free....

How is this possible? You gain access by transit route.

No country man can allow such treacherous deal...where bd will not get any benefot.. instead will create more problem such as traffic congestion, smuglling , business loss, environmental damage... etc...

Traffice congestion? May be but how this increases smuglling and bussiness loss? . :rolleyes:

so get a life before posting garbage like these and only saying bnp or right winger are opposing these...

Provide sources? :sniper:

Can you provide a link which confirms the terms and conditions you have written on top?

Are you a real green dumb Martian? :lol:

Well I'd actually laugh more if you were a Bangladeshi and didn't know this. It's no secret. We're not arguing about the validity of well established facts here.

BD is paying nothing, $1 billion is paying for it.

n who is paying this 1 billion with interest.... is it india or Bangladesh.... I have never seen a moron like you...who can post such stupid stuff...

For transit access for some equipment one billion is not enough. When and how did you draw that conclution? How did you came with $2 billion number, please explaine. When the project is done its BD will keep all the infrastructure, so statement dose not compute. $1 Billion is not a big deal, for a third world country it is a big deal, not trying to undermine BD on this but for any third world country it is a big deal.

Are you naive.... the 1 billion loan has nothing to do with the transportation of the power equipment... this is a separate deal... all the loans amount will be used mainly for indias transit issue and by theor own company....

By the way ... which third world country you are talking about...

N regarding bangladesh for infrastructure 100s of country and donor agency are lined up to give loan or assistance...

N for express way search in the internet n see how much it is going to cost...

see the link below:

Bangladeshi cabinet approves design of Dhaka Elevated Expressway - People's Daily Online

The first phase of DEE will stretch over 22 km of the 32.5 km the Expressway project worth 2 billion U.S. dollars.

When you invite or have a deal with other country you just cant look for benefits for the other host country. Why do chinese are buildin Gawadar at Pakistan, becuase it not only benefit Pakistan but it allowes chinese to ship thier material through Pakistan in future. So your statement is unfounded.

1st who is inviting whom.... n here india is not building anything... like chinese... n most of the project are of no use for bangladesh only meant to fascilitate indias transit... which India will be done for free and bangladesh will have to pay the amount with interest... n only indian companies will do the projects...

Where did you

It is your illusion which is trying to divert from the main issue of this 1billion loan deal...

Will you explain what is the main issue... n how come it is diverting from the 1 billion loan deal....

On the surface the bhartis are saying India is providing this loan with a low interest... behind the scene bhartis are hiding the main treacherous part of the deal... Those are...

India will decide which are the project will be done and indian foreign ministry will approve that...

Only indian companies will do the deal and if any foreign assistance is required ...bhartis will decide which are the companies or contractor need to be selected...

If it was really meant for development of bd then bd would decide the project and contractor would be selected through a open tender...

N if indian companies delay to implement the project then bd will have to pay the interest...

It is not that BD people will be banned from these roads or Indian will destroy it when project is complete, it is merely a business deal in whuch both countries will benefit. And yes you heard me, I said BOTH.

Which project you are talking about.... All the project are related to facilitate to indian transit .... as I said before india will do the transit for free...

N the energy equipment transfer is a separate deal... it has nothing to do with the loan...

You are entitled to your opinion about the Indian bus standards but still there is more than just cost. If BD dont want to buy it, dont buy it. Go raise voice against it infront of your PM's house.

According to the clause of the loan... every item must be bought from india... there is no other way... thats what we are talking all about.... even though the contribution of the project to bd economy is questionable but still for better implement the project it is always desirable to select contractor or company through a open tender process...

Again if you dont like it, dont buy it or use it but Indian companies are in huge profits for a reason.

see above what I posted here... bd has no other choice but to buy indian goods according to the loan deal...

see the link below:

Who is building Billion dollar airport in every district?

no one.. but that was an example... that this is not necessary that every infrastructure project will be beneficial for bd... as bd right now does not need airport in every district... similarly many of the project which will be done with the loan is not required for bd right now ... specially with lower graded indian equipment ot companies...

This request for transit route to Nepal and Bhutan was made to Indian governent by ND government. You should do some search using google why to BD government wants that. I dont want to post all the links because I dont like baby spooning.

I told you that was just an excuse to cover the free transit to india... the amount of goods that india will trasit through bd without limit to NE India is no way comparable with the amount of goods that bd will transfer to nepal or bhutan...

N nepal and bhutan is not that much necessary for bd... those are very small market which are mostly dominated by chinese goods and rest by indian goods... after that there would be a very small scope for business over there... n nepal and bhutan is not a state of bd that it is really necessary for bd...

Well may be not to you but ask those traders who wanted thier government provide access to those markets.

Every trader will look for every possible market but it does not mean that it should be done with a great loss for the state... by imposing duty on indian goods bd will earn more money than doing business in nepal and bhutan... other than that... there are billions dollar worth of business are there in EU, usa, china, apan, middle east, africa for bd... other than nepal and bhutan..
How is this possible? You gain access by transit route.

Traffice congestion? May be but how this increases smuglling and bussiness loss? . :rolleyes:

In NE india bangladeshi goods are more lucrative due to low price compared to indian goods as it takes a higher cost to take goods to NE India through chicken necks...

If transit is given then india will flood those market and from there to myaanmaar and south east asian countries.... n these will lead to loss of market for bd goods.... specially in NE india which india then will try to block after transit...

correction.. it will cost 2 billion USD not 1.5 billion USD... this will be elevated express way... so it is not a big deal...

Bangladeshi cabinet approves design of Dhaka Elevated Expressway - People's Daily Online

The first phase of DEE will stretch over 22 km of the 32.5 km the Expressway project worth 2 billion U.S. dollars.

Thats typo at best or deliberate work of a fanatic editor. Last year china constructed more that 7000kms of highway. You wanna say that it spent nearly 700 billion US dollars on it? Are you even educated?

Looks like Bhartis are using Bangladesh all the ways possible. This will do no good for bangladesh but you people and your PM wants this. what can others do? best of luck.

I feel that Bangladeshis in this forum are the only people who will be cribbing when their country is getting the loan at 1.75% which is virtually free.

And why are you against infrastructure development like highways and railways? In 50's and 60's USA developed on the basis of their Highway network. The golden quadilateral project launched by Atal Behari Vajpayee is fueling the growth story of India. China is developing a highway network in Tibetan region for faster growth.

Thats typo at best or deliberate work of a fanatic editor. Last year china constructed more that 7000kms of highway. You wanna say that it spent nearly 700 billion US dollars on it? Are you even educated?

Why do not you search in the web about the elevated expressway.... That will be "ELEVATED EXPRESSWAY" not a simple express way.... elevated express way always cost more... than simple simple expressway....

I feel that Bangladeshis in this forum are the only people who will be cribbing when their country is getting the loan at 1.75% which is virtually free.

And why are you against infrastructure development like highways and railways? In 50's and 60's USA developed on the basis of their Highway network. The golden quadilateral project launched by Atal Behari Vajpayee is fueling the growth story of India. China is developing a highway network in Tibetan region for faster growth.

I am tiered saying it many times... building infrastructure is not sufficiient ... it should be appropriate for the needs of the people... For example bd can build airport in every district or under ground railway in every district... but really does we need those at this point??? As we have many more important thing to do instead wasting money on those...

Same case is also here... the 1 billion loan money will be used for projects which is hardly needed for bd... these are primarily designed to facilitated to shorten the route of free transit for India by rail, road and water... which will hardly benefit bd as bd will have to pay the loan with interest which will mostly be used by india....

Another factor are the clauses... It is India who will decide the projects... and will be approved by the Indian foreign ministry.... and everything need to be purchased or implemented by Indian companies....if any other assistance is required then india will select the contractor or companies... and if Indian companies delay to implement those projects bd will have to pay the penalty by paying more interest...

I think you have got your answer...

I can understand the part of Indians having some oversight on the loan to ensure that it is being used by BD correctly, after all, a billion dollars is not chump change. But the other things you mention do seem excessive.

I am not finding the article which discussed in detail about the issue including comment from different expert and analyst... including those of AL...

but the following link may help you..

Last edited:
I am tiered saying it many times... building infrastructure is not sufficiient ... it should be appropriate for the needs of the people... For example bd can build airport in every district or under ground railway in every district... but really does we need those at this point??? As we have many more important thing to do instead wasting money on those...
I agree that building airports and underground railways in every district is wasting money but building a highway reduces travel time and fuel costs, the villages along the highway get better access to markets etc. I do not agree to your point that the highway will benefit only India. Even ordinary Bangladeshis will be be benefited enormously even though they may not use "Heavy Trucks".
To give an example the distance between Delhi and Agra is almost equal to distance between Delhi and Jaipur but travel time between Delhi and Jaipur is 3 hrs as compared to 5 hrs between Delhi and Agra due a better expressway between Delhi and Jaipur and poor condition for Delhi Agra highway.

Another factor are the clauses... It is India who will decide the projects... and will be approved by the Indian foreign ministry.... and everything need to be purchased or implemented by Indian companies....if any other assistance is required then india will select the contractor or companies... and if Indian companies delay to implement those projects bd will have to pay the penalty by paying more interest...

India will obviously try to have an oversight on the projects though I doubt it will be to this extent. When a bank gives a big load to a company a representative of the bank also sits on the board of the company to ensure that its investment is safe. This is similar to Indian oversight in the projects.

Back
Top Bottom