What's new

India set for transit in Bangladesh

these are primarily designed to facilitated to shorten the route of free transit for India by rail, road and water...

provide me a proof of this.
BD will be paid for the transit, I posted a breakdown on how this is structured, if you want I can dig up that post again.

provide me a proof of this.
BD will be paid for the transit, I posted a breakdown on how this is structured, if you want I can dig up that post again.

Just go with the flow, this has been discussed Ad nauseam. :disagree:

PS: Do post the breakdown, I might find that helpful in some other place.

Just go with the flow, this has been discussed Ad nauseam. :disagree:

PS: Do post the breakdown, I might find that helpful in some other place.

A brief summary for fellow members

Inland water-way use: fixed income for BD govt + shipment charge income for private BD companies (100% indian shipments will use private BD vessels)

Railway usage: charges based on usage

As per WTO rules the charges shall approximately be equal to the cost of the services rendered and shall not be used for augmentation of revenue or for protecting domestic services.

Private BD income from indian shipments
2001-02: 2Crore TK
2009-10: 4.52crore TK

Ashuganj- Agortala road
• Improvement-augmentation costs borne by india
• Cost for setting up transshipment facility borne by india
• Ro-Ro ferry installed by india

I hope the above information pacifies the upset BD members. Clearly more shipments will mean more income for the govt (rail use) and private BD companies (water vessels)

http://www.defence.pk/forums/bangla...economy-bangladesh-facts-pmo.html#post1321372

For a loan of 1 billion loan, 4.5 crore tk per year is nothing. Some bd companies make more money than that per month. If the govt subsidised those private companies, we could have benefited more w.o selling our lands off to you people.

^no solution for cynicism

Off-Topic: It is amusing to see BDeshis settle abroad and suddenly become arm-chair patriots :tup:

I will not go much in to detail now as I am at uni... but will ask you a direct question... do you honestly believe 4.5 cror taka is a big amount for which bd should give india transit and Bangladesh is after railway business for which Bangladesh should give India transit... I think you also honestly believe 4.5 cror taka for an un identified period of time transit is not enough and even India will not give, let alone think about it to give it any other country... Transit is not a charity... here...India needs transit more than anything under this circumstances bd should come in to terms which is beneficial to bd instead of giving india a free transit without any limit....

I will not go much in to detail now as I am at uni... but will ask you a direct question... do you honestly believe 4.5 cror taka is a big amount for which bd should give india transit and Bangladesh is after railway business for which Bangladesh should give India transit... I think you also honestly believe 4.5 cror taka for an un identified period of time transit is not enough and even India will not give, let alone think about it to give it any other country... Transit is not a charity... here...India needs transit more than anything under this circumstances bd should come in to terms which is beneficial to bd instead of giving india a free transit without any limit....

With all due respect sami, the 4.5cr taka is private income for 09-10. Indo-BD trade at this point has immense potential and bilateral agreements such as these will enable increased trade resulting in even more revenue for BD. We have to start somewhere after all, such trade agreements can always be amended if you guys feel it is not balanced.
Apart from the misguided animosity on these forums, our nations have pretty friendly relations and I don't see why any such concerns cannot be addressed.
Warm Regards,

Last edited:
I agree that building airports and underground railways in every district is wasting money but building a highway reduces travel time and fuel costs, the villages along the highway get better access to markets etc. I do not agree to your point that the highway will benefit only India. Even ordinary Bangladeshis will be be benefited enormously even though they may not use "Heavy Trucks".
To give an example the distance between Delhi and Agra is almost equal to distance between Delhi and Jaipur but travel time between Delhi and Jaipur is 3 hrs as compared to 5 hrs between Delhi and Agra due a better expressway between Delhi and Jaipur and poor condition for Delhi Agra highway.

India will obviously try to have an oversight on the projects though I doubt it will be to this extent. When a bank gives a big load to a company a representative of the bank also sits on the board of the company to ensure that its investment is safe. This is similar to Indian oversight in the projects.

To give you idea... below are the total list of project to be done under the loan...

THE FOURTEEN PROJECTS
The first project is on procurement of six high-powered dredgers at $71.69 million. Of the dredgers, one will be used for dredging at Mongla Port while three for Bangladesh Inland Water Transport Authority and two for Bangladesh Water Development Board.

The second project is related to construction of an internal container river port at Ashuganj at a cost of $36.23 million. Bangladesh and India have recently signed an agreement under which Ashuganj in Bangladesh and Silghat in India have been declared ports of call.

These are mainly for india... n hardly will benefit bd.

The third project is to buy 10 broad gauge locomotive engines worth $31.55 million for Bangladesh Railway. The fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh projects are also related to Bangladesh Railway.

Some 125 broad gauge passenger coaches will be bought at a cost of $53.63 million under the fourth project, while 60 tank wagons for fuel oil transportation and two break vans at a cost of $8.85 million under the fifth project.

The sixth one is on buying 50 metre gauge flat wagons and five break vans at a cost of $4.55 million for Bangladesh Railway.

Mainly to facilitate indian transit by rail... even if you say some cases bd will use those... but what is the point of buying india only train??? To get the better product this should have been done under open tender to select the better product but the loan clause is India only...

Under the seventh project, two railway bridges -- 2nd Bhairab Bridge and 2nd Titas Bridge -- will be constructed, which will cost $120 million.

For transit of india....

The next five projects are related with road transport. The eighth one is to buy 300 double-decker buses for Bangladesh Road Transport Corporation (BRTC) at an estimated amount of $29.65 million.

Under the ninth project, 50 articulated buses would be bought for BRTC at a cost of $6.12 million.

As I said before it should have been done under open tender process... but this is just to facilitate indian companies as the term of the deal is 85% of the product should be of indian made... rest will be selected by indian contractor...

The 10th one is related to development of road communications for a land port. Under the project, Sarail-Brahmanbaria-Sultanpur-Akhaura-Senarbadi road will be constructed at a cost of $33.82 million.

To transport indian goods from chittagong port to NE india... hardly bd will use this route...

The 11th project is for construction of an overpass at Jurain rail crossing and a flyover at Malibagh rail crossing in Dhaka. These will cost $31.44 million.

Yes this is the only one needed for bd... but to select the best group this process should have been done through tender... but bd is unable to do this as the term of the loan is india only...

Project number 12 is purely on connectivity between Bangladesh and India. Under this project, a road will be constructed between Ramgarh and Sabroom [Tripura's southern border town] at a cost of $14.53 million.

To facilitate indian transit...

An amount of $150.86 million will be spent for the 13th project, which is for setting up power gridline between India and Bangladesh. Under the project, a 400KV grid inter-connection between Bheramara of Bangladesh and Baharamapur of India will be set up.

Partly useful for bd but mainly to extend indian mainland grid to NE india... as I said before it should have been done by open tender but this is also india only project...

The 14th project has four sub projects related to capacity building of Bangladesh Standard and Testing Institute (BSTI). Laboratories will be set up at a cost of $8.92 million to test foods, cement, brick and gold.

Should have been done in an open tender but will be done by india only companies... n indian product quality is so low that even indian institue equivalent to BSTI import their equipment from switzerland or germany... this was said by BSTI chairman.. he said if we had to buy low quality indian equipment it is better not to buy it...

So from where you got the idea... lots of high way and railway is going to be built and other blah blah blah...

Be realistic... just wondering whether India would agree to any loan such that where they will not have any say and most of the loan money will be used for india and must be from indian companies...

^no solution for cynicism

Off-Topic: It is amusing to see BDeshis settle abroad and suddenly become arm-chair patriots :tup:

Nice come back to arguements I have posted. you know, what 4.5 crore taka can buy this days in bd? I went to look for a flat in Gulshan, dhaka the other day. and they wanted 8.4 crore for a 3 bedroom flat. Most of the people in these areas earn way more than 4.5 crore per year and if the govt used the 1 billion dollar loan to benefit the businessmen of our country, they could have made way more money through tax. There is a thin line between cynicism and common sense.

Nice come back to arguements I have posted. you know, what 4.5 crore taka can buy this days in bd? I went to look for a flat in Gulshan, dhaka the other day. and they wanted 8.4 crore for a 3 bedroom flat. Most of the people in these areas earn way more than 4.5 crore per year and if the govt used the 1 billion dollar loan to benefit the businessmen of our country, they could have made way more money through tax. There is a thin line between cynicism and common sense.

For all your big talks and brag about how rich your countymen have become, BD economy is still minuscule. The FDI for your country was $700million in 2010. For such a performance, India's $1billion is a very big deal. Now go find how many times your country has attracted foreign investment as big as this.

correction.. it will cost 2 billion USD not 1.5 billion USD... this will be elevated express way... so it is not a big deal...

Expensive !

Union Road Transport & Highways Minister, Kamal Nath on Friday, inaugurated the longest elevated expressway in the country on Hosur Road leading to Electronic City in Bangalore. The four-lane, 9.5-km expressway from Silk Board junction to Electronic City is on National Highway-7 that runs through Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh.

The expressway is expected to drastically reduce travelling time to the centre of IT industry as the expressway passes over six major traffic bottlenecks. A consortium of Maytas Infra, Nagarjuna Construction Company Ltd. & Soma Enterprises Ltd. built the expressway at a cost of around Rs 760 crore.

9.6km=Rs.760 crores. 22km=1742 crores = $387 million(approx; calculated at Rs.45=$1)

For all your big talks and brag about how rich your countymen have become, BD economy is still minuscule. The FDI for your country was $700million in 2010. For such a performance, India's $1billion is a very big deal. Now go find how many times your country has attracted foreign investment as big as this.

Offended much? The math is simple, let our country do our thing. getting a loan of 1 billion dollar which will get us 4.5 crore is impractical. You indians are well known for your cheapness. even your comedians constantly make fun of how cheap you guys are. Bangladesh can't really expect a fair deal with cheap people like you.

Offended much? The math is simple, let our country do our thing. getting a loan of 1 billion dollar which will get us 4.5 crore is impractical. You indians are well known for your cheapness. even your comedians constantly make fun of how cheap you guys are. Bangladesh can't really expect a fair deal with cheap people like you.

Don't try too hard to offend us. It helps to be thick skinned in a hostile environment :rolleyes:. And you know what? Your government doesn't give a damn about what the fanatics think. We cheap Indians are going to take over your country and you cannot do a sh1t about it. :wave:

Don't try too hard to offend us. It helps to be thick skinned in a hostile environment :rolleyes:. And you know what? Your government doesn't give a damn about what the fanatics think. We cheap Indians are going to take over your country and you cannot do a sh1t about it. :wave:

yes you will. Might seem like a cheap price, but when the fanatics attack, it won't seem that cheap after all. matter of fact, I want Indians to take over, so its easier for the jamaatis to perform jihad and convert you hindu, intolerant folks to some sort cultured human being or whatever you are.

yes you will. Might seem like a cheap price, but when the fanatics attack, it won't seem that cheap after all. matter of fact, I want Indians to take over, so its easier for the jamaatis to perform jihad and convert you hindu, intolerant folks to some sort cultured human being or whatever you are.

:victory: I am going to be converted!!! Thats so cool.

FYI, we won't come there in person to do business you know. we are not selling fish ! But if any jamatis try to enter Bharat to convert us uncultured Hindus to something pure awesome ,there is BSF to take care of them.

Back
Top Bottom