What's new

India’s shopping spree & appalling poverty

Status
Not open for further replies.
you haven't made an educated debate yet. I have only seen you distort the truth for your own satisfaction. then you post in mocking and arrogrant manner and personally attack other members. if you do it again i will personally pm the administration to take action aginst you.

No comments.. let the moderators be the judge of things here.

I have already reported., just waiting for them to intervene and judge whether i have gone personal or any of the things you have said.

No comments.. let the moderators be the judge of things here.

I have already reported., just waiting for them to intervene and judge whether i have gone personal or any of the things you have said.

please exit this thread. you are making a mockery of the suffering and poor in your nation. you a disgrace and a pest to your country.

It makes me very angry when some Pakistani journalist or analyst writes about India's poverty this and that.As if Pakistan is a highly developed industrialized nation which gives aid to other countries.India is spending money on defence because we are compelled to do so.To the left we have Pakistan which receives military assistance and often free military hardware from the US and is building her arsenal and to the north we have an increasingly belligerent China .Each and every item that we purchase is needed.Money is not squandered around.We are buying 126 MMRCA jets to replace old ones.We are buying C-17s for immediate troop movements to the Chinese theatre if the need arises .So on and so forth.What do you expect us to do .Just sit around and watch our neighbours building their arsenal?Talking about nuke reactors,isn't energy security essential for the growth of the nation?We are very well aware about the situation in our country and efforts are being made to eradicate the problems.Our spending is well calibrated and thought about.We have some of the brightest minds at the helm headed my MMS.

STOP WORRYING ABOUT INDIA AND START WORRYING ABOUT YOUR OWN NATION.

please exit this thread. you are making a mockery of the suffering and poor in your nation. you a disgrace to your country.

Ok tell me alternative ... Shall i start agreeing to whatever you say or debate on the basis of thread?/

oh god!!!!!! this is so ridiculous.. :hitwall:

Oh bugger off, unless you've personally have maintained a family and sent children to school and have a shelter all on 2 bucks a day, I'd like to see some price studies and also show me some statistics on how "the lowest of the lowest labourer has a daily wage fixed around 2 USD for the lowest of job" or is that just your general perception/feeling as an expat living in Wales.

Et tu, CardSharp?
Even you had to succumb to temptation. A sad day indeed.

g
It makes me very angry when some Pakistani journalist or analyst writes about India's poverty this and that.As if Pakistan is a highly developed industrialized nation which gives aid to other countries.India is spending money on defence because we are compelled to do so.To the left we have Pakistan which receives military assistance and often free military hardware from the US and is building her arsenal and to the north we have an increasingly belligerent China .Each and every item that we purchase is needed.Money is not squandered around.We are buying 126 MMRCA jets to replace old ones.We are buying C-17s for immediate troop movements to the Chinese theatre if the need arises .So on and so forth.What do you expect us to do .Just sit around and watch our neighbours building their arsenal?Talking about nuke reactors,isn't energy security essential for the growth of the nation?We are very well aware about the situation in our country and efforts are being made to eradicate the problems.Our spending is well calibrated and thought about.We have some of the brightest minds at the helm headed my MMS.

This is a poor excuse to justify unnecessary EXCESSIVE military spending by india. When half a billion suffer and struggle day by day to make ends meet, to ensure their children have food on the table you bring up that Pakistan and China is the reason why this military spending is being undertaken. If you recall Pakistan HAS NEVER started a war with india nor has China. The military equipment that Pakistan receives is to rid itself of extremists in its nation and as Pakistan has stated and stated over and over it is not intended for use for india. If india does attack AGAIN, Pakistan will defend herself. But history has shown Pakistan has never been the aggressor.

STOP WORRYING ABOUT INDIA AND START WORRYING ABOUT YOUR OWN NATION.

It is my business to speak for those who cannot speak for themselves due to the ill conceived policies of their respective nations.

There is no denying that Indian government spending on health care is pathetic. I am to be frank ashamed that human development has been neglected especially in the poorer states. But I am not sure if this has anything to do with the defense spending. India is spending 2.5% of its GDP on defense which isn't that high especially for a country in a hostile environment.
What India needs to work on is delivery mechanism and accountability.

g

This is a poor excuse to justify unnecessary EXCESSIVE military spending by india. When half a billion suffer and struggle day by day to make ends meet, to ensure their children have food on the table you bring up that Pakistan and China is the reason why this military spending is being undertaken. If you recall Pakistan HAS NEVER started a war with india nor has China. The military equipment that Pakistan receives is to rid itself of extremists in its nation and as Pakistan has stated and stated over and over it is not intended for use for india. If india does attack AGAIN, Pakistan will defend herself. But history has shown Pakistan has never been the aggressor.

It is my business to speak for those who cannot speak for themselves due to the ill conceived policies of their respective nations.

Its not a excuse . But when you guys try to preach us it is only natural to judge who is preaching us isn't it?

Pakistan is going around the world for aid, defaulted all loans and has an economy in shambles but still spends much more as a percentage of GDP on defense compared to India. I exactly don't know what right you guys have to criticize us on defense spending. Do you have an answer?

PAKISTAN: Military spending at the expense of children's health - UNICEF [News]

With a global under-five mortality ranking of 46, Pakistan could avoid 60 percent of child deaths by focusing on a limited number of treatable diseases like diarrhoea, pneumonia and neonatal infections, the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) said.

Acknowledging Pakistan's progress in getting rid of polio at the launch of UNICEF's annual flagship publication, the State of the World's Children, last week, Executive Director Carol Bellamy said in Islamabad that countries like Pakistan could do more to address children's health interests by diverting resources from institutions like the military - responsible for consuming up to 40 percent of GDP, according to economists.

Public spening on the health system in Pakistan is low at 0,7 percent of GDP. The sector also suffers from poor implementation and governance, uneven quality of services in the public and private sector, and a weak regulatory framework.
"Some government leaders make decisions that actually hurt children. Investing too much in the military ... means that you have too few resources to invest in what I would call the peace and security side," Bellamy said.

And this shows up in the country's poor health grades. According to the UNICEF report, the annual number of under-five deaths is 567,000, with an infant mortality rate (under one year) of 81 per 1,000 live births and an under-five mortality rate of 103 per 1,000 live births.

According to a recent report by the Mexico-based organisation Centro de Investigaci�n de Enfermedades Tropicales (Tropical Disease Research Centre), called CIET, around 250,000 children die of diarrhoea each year in Pakistan.

"For many of those who survive, mounting garbage heaps and other types of environmental hazards double the risk for repeated infections that drain away the vital protein their bodies need to grow. As a result, they may never reach their full physical or mental potential," said CIET, an international group of professionals from a variety of disciplines, including epidemiology, medicine, planning, communications and other social sciences, who bring scientific research methods to communities.

According to a national survey in Pakistan every child gets on average five episodes a year, with no difference between urban and rural areas. Tahir Masood Ahmad, a paediatrician who was part of a team that studied how doctors manage acute watery diarrhoea (AWD) in children, told IRIN that although many doctors were familiar with World Health Organization (WHO) guidelines for management of childhood diarrhoea, most were slow to follow them.

Acute respiratory infections (ARI) such as bronchitis and pneumonia cause 20-30 percent of deaths in children under five. An estimated 15 million ARI intances in children occur annually leading to at least 100,000 child deaths each year, second only to diarrhoeal disease-related mortality.

The government has introduced WHO guidelines for ARI nationwide after training doctors and community health workers to use the technique. "In Islamabad, use of these guidelines to improve the diagnosis and treatment of ARI among hospital outpatients under the age of five has halved pneumonia death rates among children admitted to hospital, reduced the inappropriate use of antibiotics, and led to major savings in healthcare costs," a WHO representative said.

Dr Anita Zaidi, a paediatrician and microbiologist with Aga Khan University Hospital in Lahore, told IRIN that a major obstacle to nationwide implementation of WHO guidelines is most healthcare activity in Pakistan occurs outside the public sector. "The training activities of national WHO-sponsored programme are limited to governmental staff and facilities. Studies of health facility utilisation patterns in the country have shown that self-employed general practitioners working in the community see and treat the largest proportion of ARI patients," Zaidi said.

Out of over 53 million babies in the country, nearly 270,000 die before they are one month old - the percentage is roughly 10 times higher than that in developed countries, according to a report by the international charity Save the Children.

Save the Children works to eliminate maternal neonatal tetanus in 61 districts throughout Pakistan and Pakistan-administered Kashmir through a national Saving Newborn Lives (SNL) Initiative. Save the Children, the government of Pakistan and local partners collaborate to implement this initiative.
Doctors say that nearly 60 percent of these deaths occur during the first few days after birth and a vast majority of them are preventable through available and cost-effective means.

The risk factors contributing to the high neonatal mortality in the country, according to Arshad Humayun, a physician and an official of Pakistan Medical Association, are: high percentage of home deliveries unattended by skilled care; birth interval of less than 24 months; number of pregnancies greater than six per women, and maternal or paternal illiteracy. "Private-sector health providers should be involved in any national child survival programme," he told IRIN. [Source: IRIN]

PAKISTAN: Military spending at the expense of children's health - UNICEF [News]

Its not a excuse . But when you guys try to preach us it is only natural to judge who is preaching us isn't it?

Pakistan is going around the world for aid, defaulted all loans and has an economy in shambles but still spends much more as a percentage of GDP on defense compared to India. I exactly don't know what right you guys have to criticize us on defense spending. Do you have an answer?

Pakistan spends much more on defense because of the extremists elements within its borders. This spending is necessary to rid itself of the extremists. Additionally, form the threat posed by india as it has attacked Pakistan on 4 sepearate occasions. But Pakistan can afford this as Pakistan's population is 1/14 of what india's is. india on the other hand as stated has half a billion poor that are suffering on a DAILY BASIS. Being naive to this and attempting to fool the world that india is perfect will do more harm than good.

Have a read:

BBC News - 'More poor' in India than Africa

To the indian members here stop bringing Pakistan and IMF into this when india requires foreigh aid to sustain itself. thank you.

India debates whether to continue receiving British aid

_49117365_010118891-1.jpg

India has many of the poorest people in the world

The Indian government is debating whether it should still accept any development aid from Britain.

India is currently the biggest recipient of UK development aid, receiving more than £800m (about $1.25bn) over the three years to 2011.

Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao told the BBC no final decision had been made.

Britain's Department for International Development (DfID) says it is reviewing its spending, and close dialogue with the Indian government will continue.

The BBC's Chris Morris in Delhi says there are those who argue that a country like India, which has an economy growing at nearly 10% a year and a massive defence budget, simply does not need British development assistance.

On the other hand, nearly half a billion people in India are still desperately poor and efforts to reduce global poverty will make no significant progress if those figures do not improve, our correspondent says.

Leaked memo

An internal memo - written by Mrs Rao and leaked to a local newspaper - appeared to suggest that India had already decided it did not want any more development aid from Britain after April next year.

But Mrs Rao says the quotes used have been taken out of context.

She admits that there is a debate within government about whether any development aid is still needed. But no decision has been taken, and there will be full consultation with London.

British officials say the tone of the leaked memo does not reflect what they are hearing from the rest of the Indian government.

When Prime Minister David Cameron met his Indian counterpart Manmohan Singh in Delhi recently, it was agreed that no-one would make a decision about giving or receiving development aid without a proper consultation process.

Britain is already reviewing its development budget, and re-examining its priorities.

"All DfID's country programmes are currently under review to ensure our aid helps the poorest people in the poorest countries," a spokesperson in London said.

India's Finance Minister, Pranab Mukherjee, told parliament recently that India would prefer to voluntarily surrender money if Britain made a decision to cut aid.

So as well as financial considerations in both countries, there is an element of national pride at stake, our correspondent says - if Britain decides to cut aid to India, Delhi may say it does not want the money anyway.

BBC News - India debates whether to continue receiving British aid

yet when the international community states that india accounts for the massive chunk of global poverty, indians state that it is ok to spend hundred of billions on unnecessary military spending. where is the logic in this.

To the indian members here stop bringing Pakistan and IMF into this when india requires foreigh aid to sustain itself. thank you.

man you come and start a topic which has been discussed 1000 times. As far as poors are concerned there is something called budget distribution. There has been allocation of funds for uplifting the poor. It takes time to bring them out. We have not a history of being a rich nation. But already the funds are in place. With a country of length and breadth of India needs such a defence spending. And if you know about budget distribution you will understand it

Rest you seriously need a

Download-Norton-Antivirus-2010-for-Free-with-3-Months-Genuine-Subscribtion-License.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom