What's new

India releases water into River Sutlej, worsens flood in nearby villages

@hinduguy, On Sutlej system, there are at least two dams in India. On Ravi too, there are at least two dams in India. It is not quite a simple matter of not knowing what weather shall do. Moreover, every dam has a realtime monitoring of inflow. To top it up, transit time of flow from dam spillway to border is many many hours. On both Ravi and Sutlej, there are headworks before the rivers enter Pakistan. So there you have it.

It is not such a simple matter of not knowing when a flood could strike. You can make excuses for India, but we in Pakistan do not buy it.

A case in point is the horrendous flood in Ravi in August 1988. I saw it & I can not forget the roar of Ravi as water passed under the bridge between Lahore city and Shahdara. Lahore was saved by last few inches of protective embankments. Ravi has not had a repeat of a super-flood like that one. The peak flow was in excess of 420,000 cusecs. For a small river like Ravi that is unimaginable. Some people justifiably blamed India for creating a really bad situation.

@Leader - Comments?

@darkinsky, thanks for your post. That I believe is one of the Nullahs overflowing its banks close to Sialkot.

Last edited by a moderator:
let’s stop complaining about india and build some dams.
It’s basic stupid logic, if you need to reserve water, you need to build some stupid dams.
It rain every year and we have the same problem every year. but every year we either blame India or the weather God.
For God Sake, come to life and build some dams.

It’s basic stupid logic, if you need to reserve water, you need to build some stupid dams.
It rain every year and we have the same problem every year. but every year we either blame India or the weather God.

Butt Sahib aaap Kalabagh Dam hii nahin banaa neii deiteiii ! :cray:

Hum bichareiii kiyaaa kareinnn ? :unsure:

Armstrong - Wait for few more months. I am coming back to Pakistan and I will make this dam of my own and then will produce electricity out of it just like SRK did in one of the bollywood movie. Bad days are about to get over, cheer up bro ;:yay:

@Chak Bamu Bhai - What are your views on Shamsul Mulk Sahib ? :what:

I so wish that hes given the authority & the responsibility to revamp Pakistan's Water Systems ! :agree:

There should be mechanism to inform Pakistan authorities, when the water is about to be released

That would be almost act of war seriously so i dont believe this story. Serve Pakistanis right for not building dams.

Let's talk conspiracy to liven up the debate. Suppose India has done this on purpose as a riposte to Pakistan's ceasefire violations and Hafiz Saeed's threat to spread terror in India? :blink:

Just saying. :D

We can not build dams on Sutlej, Ravi, or any of the lesser streams entering Punjab from India. No suitable site. Your display of emotions is justified but a bit mis-directed.

The issue is release of water from India without sufficient notice; not Pakistan's capacity to store water.

That would be almost act of war seriously so i dont believe this story. Serve Pakistanis right for not building dams.

Well you see, for some people it is a lot more comforting to blame the enemy (whoever the enemy is at that time) than to introspect and learn hard lessons. If the common protocol regarding release of water was violated by India, then Pakistan would have officially taken it to the ICC or UN, or at least launched a formal protest through diplomatic channels. No such official protest or complaint has been made, but conspiracies about evil India are circulated around, to appease people and to let them find solace in what must be a terrible tragedy. Having someone to blame takes the sting off from a meaningless and random accident like an earthquake or tsunami or floods.

The downside of relying on conspiracies to make sense of a senseless tragedy, is that hostile feelings never subside or die.

@Chak Bamu Bhai - What are your views on Shamsul Mulk Sahib ? :what:

I so wish that hes given the authority & the responsibility to revamp Pakistan's Water Systems ! :agree:

You are right. He is one person from KPK who knows what he is talking about when it comes to dams and water storage. He is a true technocrat and patriot and has the education and passion to have true grasp of our problems relating to water resources. Incidentally he is one of those engineers who have worked on the plans for Kalabagh Dam.

I have been reading news pieces and occasional article written by him since the 80s. But as you can guess, he is a bit too old; plus he is ignored by nationalist Pashtuns.

In any case Pakistan is more important than Kalabagh Dam. This dam should only be build if and when there is consensus and allaying of fears of Sindhi brothers.

Back
Top Bottom