What's new

India releases water into River Sutlej, worsens flood in nearby villages

let’s stop complaining about india and build some dams.
It’s basic stupid logic, if you need to reserve water, you need to build some stupid dams.
It rain every year and we have the same problem every year. but every year we either blame India or the weather God.
For God Sake, come to life and build some dams.

My god Dammit
My Respects to you dear sir you are one of the Pakistani Member who talk sense
Salute to you :pakistan:

@hinduguy, On Sutlej system, there are at least two dams in India. On Ravi too, there are at least two dams in India. It is not quite a simple matter of not knowing what weather shall do. Moreover, every dam has a realtime monitoring of inflow. To top it up, transit time of flow from dam spillway to border is many many hours. On both Ravi and Sutlej, there are headworks before the rivers enter Pakistan. So there you have it.

It is not such a simple matter of not knowing when a flood could strike. You can make excuses for India, but we in Pakistan do not buy it.

A case in point is the horrendous flood in Ravi in August 1988. I saw it & I can not forget the roar of Ravi as water passed under the bridge between Lahore city and Shahdara. Lahore was saved by last few inches of protective embankments. Ravi has not had a repeat of a super-flood like that one. The peak flow was in excess of 420,000 cusecs. For a small river like Ravi that is unimaginable. Some people justifiably blamed India for creating a really bad situation.

@Leader - Comments?

@darkinsky, thanks for your post. That I believe is one of the Nullahs overflowing its banks close to Sialkot.

you just described what happened in a specific year and the fact that pakistanis expect xyz from India. I already explained why it is not possible even within India (when a state is supposed to inform other state).
I dont have anything else to add, but I will be curious to know how long before do you give warning to your own people before opening gates in your dams.

The realtime data can of course be shared but am not sure whether the protocol is in place for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes there is, but now they just do it and inform 24 hours before as far as I know, otherwise they are suppose to inform us a week or two before the release of water, sudden release and the amount of release both causes massive flooding !
High time Pakistan invests in Dam and try to control their fate as far as flood is concerned. We are suppose to take care of our interest which we are doing. Something which is happening every year, people should have more seriousness to deal with it.

Yes there is, but now they just do it and inform 24 hours before as far as I know, otherwise they are suppose to inform us a week or two before the release of water, sudden release and the amount of release both causes massive flooding !

....and you guys always say that India does not give sufficient water to Pakistan :D

But bro this is not inter state issue of a country, here its international water sharing treaties pact which say to inform about the excess release of water from dams to be notified to downstream other countries

Well you see, for some people it is a lot more comforting to blame the enemy (whoever the enemy is at that time) than to introspect and learn hard lessons. If the common protocol regarding release of water was violated by India, then Pakistan would have officially taken it to the ICC or UN, or at least launched a formal protest through diplomatic channels. No such official protest or complaint has been made, but conspiracies about evil India are circulated around, to appease people and to let them find solace in what must be a terrible tragedy. Having someone to blame takes the sting off from a meaningless and random accident like an earthquake or tsunami or floods.

The downside of relying on conspiracies to make sense of a senseless tragedy, is that hostile feelings never subside or die.

Actually in this case i dont find India at fault at all. Decades has been wasted without building any meaningful dam because of political reasons. And when floods come they have easy target to blame for. pathetic!

Actually in this case i dont find India at fault at all. Decades has been wasted without building any meaningful dam because of political reasons. And when floods come they have easy target to blame for. pathetic!

I find them at fault. Humari fasil kharab kar tey hain yeh logh.

I find them at fault. Humari fasil kharab kar tey hain yeh logh.

Yep they shouldn't release water no matter what right? And blame GoP for your fasil because even if Indians warned month before no one could have saved it anyway.

Yep they shouldn't release water no matter what right? And blame GoP for your fasil because even if Indians warned month before no one could have saved it anyway.

They don't give water either.

That's why you Lahoris are laughed at by true Punjabis.

We can not build dams on Sutlej, Ravi, or any of the lesser streams entering Punjab from India. No suitable site. Your display of emotions is justified but a bit mis-directed.

The issue is release of water from India without sufficient notice; not Pakistan's capacity to store water.

So Pakistan cant do anything even if it wanted? They are destined to be flooded every year for ever?

My village is on this river. Indians are mega phaggots for this. All year they don't release a drop of water, and now this.

What a sad story. Why can't your people use their brain to protect themselves from Indian connivance ?

Back
Top Bottom