What's new

India releases water into River Sutlej, worsens flood in nearby villages

post not reported for not reading my post properly.. I did not call anybody troll.. I talked about 'troll post'. :)

Same thing, post reported for calling someone else post troll just because you don't agree with him.

Same thing, post reported for calling someone else post troll just because you don't agree with him.
I did not specify which post.. nor the author.. it was general suggestion... :disagree:
I know what you will say.. 'post reported for giving suggestion to fellow forummer" .. :lol:

I did not specify which post.. nor the author.. it was general suggestion... :disagree:
I know what you will say.. 'post reported for giving suggestion to fellow forummer" .. :lol:

It was pretty clear who you was referring to. Next time don't call someone troll, thats why we have mods here.

So India need to build more dams on rivers to store water? Other wise floods are inevitable?

Damn, bitter hindu nationalists. Even their PM was nutter which tell you the story. Jay Hind

I don't see any bitterness in his poem - it is just a lament and extraordinary foresight.

India releases water into River Sutlej, worsens flood in nearby villages – The Express Tribune

LAHORE: One hundred thousand cusecs of water will pass through Head Ganda Singh within 18 hours — a record amount since the last 25 years, reported Express News.

India released water into River Sutlej for the second time despite flooding in nearby villages. As a result, villages located by the river bank will most likely be destroyed completely while more than 50 villages near the river will suffer damage.

These villages are being evacuated by rescue teams and the residents are being taken to relief camps on higher ground.

The flood in River Ravi has so far deluged 17 villages including Dalwan, Chishtian, Hashim Chakreeb, Jungle Seet and Bhopri in Mian Channu. Some of the villagers have alleged that not opening the gates of Head Sidhnai could have saved them by causing water level in the river to fall but this was not done.

In Kasur, crops over hundreds of acres of land have been damaged and several villages inundated due to flood in River Sutlej. The flood has so far affected Ganda Singhwala, Bhikki Wind, Gitti Kalunger, Nagar Aimen, Mahiwala, Talwar Post, Basti Bangladesh and Bilalwala.
The health, livestock and other departments concerned have set up camps to vaccinate livestock.

The Khanewal district administration has said that it is prepared to deal with any emergency in Kabirwala and Mian Channu in case of a flood.

Bhakhra Dam's reservoir is source of water of water for Satluj river. The max level of this reservoir to which it can store water is around 1680 feet, but 1645 feet is the actual max level and storing water above this level is not permitted and considered highly dangerous for dam itself. It reached at a level of around 1640-42 feet a week back, due to heavy rains in himachal.

A news regarding an emergency meeting of concerned authorities from the states that receives water from this dam is in print media around same time. I am sure that the information regarding possible release of excessive water must be shared with concerned authorities in Pakistan.

So India need to build more dams on rivers to store water? Other wise floods are inevitable?

It is pointless to fight nature. Floods are inevitable regardless. And thank God for that. Floods bring some important benefits despite destruction. We can not control floods in the long run. We can only try to manage their effects. Nobody says that India needs to build more dams. Why should they? Unless it is in their interest to do so?

@hinduguy, On Sutlej system, there are at least two dams in India. On Ravi too, there are at least two dams in India. It is not quite a simple matter of not knowing what weather shall do. Moreover, every dam has a realtime monitoring of inflow. To top it up, transit time of flow from dam spillway to border is many many hours. On both Ravi and Sutlej, there are headworks before the rivers enter Pakistan. So there you have it.

It is not such a simple matter of not knowing when a flood could strike. You can make excuses for India, but we in Pakistan do not buy it.

A case in point is the horrendous flood in Ravi in August 1988. I saw it & I can not forget the roar of Ravi as water passed under the bridge between Lahore city and Shahdara. Lahore was saved by last few inches of protective embankments. Ravi has not had a repeat of a super-flood like that one. The peak flow was in excess of 420,000 cusecs. For a small river like Ravi that is unimaginable. Some people justifiably blamed India for creating a really bad situation.

@Leader - Comments?

@darkinsky, thanks for your post. That I believe is one of the Nullahs overflowing its banks close to Sialkot.

You are really living on conspiracy theories based on anti India rhetoric. 1988 was was the worst flood in history modern day Indian Punjab. Water flow was so much that It devastated most of Maajha region (Gurdaspur & Amritsar districts) of Indian Punjab. A no of people were swept into Pakistan by flooding water. There was nothing we can do to stop flooded Ravi water reaching Pakistan. Its amazing that Mis-information or anti India propaganda would not let the common sense to prevail in Pakistan and you are singing the similar song as Hafiz Saeed singing regarding these floods. We have a limit to contain water and above that limit, we can do nothing except release of water.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are really living on conspiracy theories based on anti India rhetoric. 1988 was was the worst flood in history modern day Indian Punjab. Water flow was so much that It devastated most of Maajha region (Gurdaspur & Amritsar districts) of Indian Punjab. A no of people were swept into Pakistan by flooding water. There was nothing we can do to stop flooded Ravi water reaching Pakistan. Its amazing that Mis-information or anti India propaganda would not let the common sense to prevail in Pakistan and you are singing the similar song as Hafiz Saeed singing regarding these floods. We have a limit to contain water and above that limit, we can do nothing except release of water.

You are too quick to shoot. Some patience would have been good. Do read the other posts that I have made. Also, I make sure to give some credible rationale to support the points that I try to make. Do note my mentioning two dams on Ravi in India. What good are they if they can not protect against floods? Dams are made to fill up at the END of rainy season so that they may serve their purpose of flood control. What good did these dams do for Indian Punjab if they could not control the death and misery? Does it occur to you that may be you should raise questions instead of indulging in knee-jerk reaction?

Go through my posts and do inform me which of my posts are a result of 'conspiracy theories based of anti India rhetoric'?

India releases more water as flood havoc persists

LAHORE: India released more water into Pakistani rivers as floods continued to play havoc in different areas affecting hundreds of thousands of people.

At least four people, three children among them, were killed and 12 injured on Sunday in incidents of roof collapse in Punjab while two brothers drowned in the Ravi river.

Police and rescue teams said the roof of a mud house caved in due to heavy rain in Lahore’s Bedian Road area, killing six-year-old Salman and five-year-old Naveed. A woman and a girl were injured in the incident.

A roof collapse also killed a man in the Baghpora area.

Another similar incident took place in Lahore’s Kacha Kumahan area where six people, including two children, were buried under debris when the roof of their house collapsed. Rescue teams retrieved all those trapped and shifted them to hospital.

In Nankana Sahib’s Kot Fazl area, the roof of a house collapsed in the heavy downpour, killing a child and injuring a couple and two children.

Police said brothers Afzal and Bilal were fishing on the bank of the Ravi during rain when they suddenly drowned due to erosion of the bank.

On information, rescuers of Rescue 1122 reached the spot and started a search for the two brothers.

The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) says 108 people have so far lost their lives and 104 others have sustained injuries in various parts of the country in flood-related incidents.

In its update‚ the Authority said 30 people have died in Punjab‚ 24 in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa‚ 22 in Sindh‚ 16 in Balochistan‚ 12 in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas and four in Azad Jammu and Kashmir.

The NDMA said that a total of over 334,000 people have been affected due to floods; 2,774 houses have been damaged partially and 2‚427 completely in the flash flooding. It said 7,070 villages have been affected by the floods.

The NDMA said 44 flood relief camps have been established in the flood-hit areas where essential items are being provided to the affected people.

Flash floods in rivers and nullahs of Punjab have played havoc in various areas of the province adversely affecting daily life besides depriving people of their life-long belongings and leaving them homeless.

The flash floods, besides disrupting routine life, have also damaged the communication links as various areas remained cut off without shelter, food commodities, medicines and other basic amenities.

The flash flood at Tarimo Headworks submerged the Jhang-Sargodha Road near Pakaywala closing it for traffic. More than 50 persons trapped in the flooded village of Lohaywala were rescued after hectic efforts of the concerned authorities.

At least 50 villages of Chinot were cut off from the urban areas due to the onrush of the flood, while the standing crops in Shorkot’s suburban areas were severely damaged by the flash flood.

Nine villages near Multan were also were inundated as the water lever in river Chenab mounted. Pak Army contingents, Rescue 1122 and Civil Defence volunteers are busy in relief and rescue work in the flood-affected areas.

On the other hand, thousands of acres of cultivated land in 72 villages of Hafizabad and Qadirabad has been adversely hit by a Chenab river flash flood. Sialkot remained flooded by overflowing Nullah Aik water, while several villages of Narowal and Pasrur remained marooned by overflowing water from Nullah Dek.

Eleven villages were also submerged as the water level at Taunsa on the river Indus went up.

In Rajanpur, four union councils were inundated by the overflowing nullahs Kaha and Chachar, while due to the river Indus changing course near Jampur, water began gushing into nearby villages.

In Dera Ghazi Khan, flood water from river Sindh has entered hundreds of villages. According to sources, 470,000 cusec of water will pass from Taunsa during the next 24 hours.

The spillways of Tarbela Dam were opened as the water level started rising rapidly.

Danger sirens were sounded before opening the spillways. People living in the vicinity of the dam have been directed to shift to safer places.

Meanwhile, the flash flood in the river Indus has now entered Sindh. The Provincial Disaster Management Authority said that the flood water has inundated thousands of acres of land in the Katcha area of Ghotki District. The district government has sought help from the PDMA to evacuate the people marooned in the floodwaters.

About 200,000 cusec of floodwater in the Chenab river is crossing tehsil Kabirwala and the water touched the embankments.

According to sources, the flood wave touched Fazil Shah and Jhok Azam embankments due to an increase in the water level in the Chenab river while standing crops were also damaged in the river belt.

Rescue teams shifted people of the flooded areas to safer places while the district administration has set up seven relief camps.

According to DCO Usman Muazam, all embankments were monitored round the clock and they were ready to handle any situation.

The Pakistan Army says it is ready to cope with the flood situation and extend help to the affectees in protecting their lives and properties through rescue operations.

The pledge was made in a meeting chaired by Garrison Commander Major General Umer Farooq with senior army and civil officers of Multan and Dera Ghazi Khan.

Major General Umer Farooq said that the army would remain alert to help the civil administration whenever it was required.

India releases more water as flood havoc persists - thenews.com.pk

You are too quick to shoot. Some patience would have been good. Do read the other posts that I have made. Also, I make sure to give some credible rationale to support the points that I try to make. Do note my mentioning two dams on Ravi in India. What good are they if they can not protect against floods? Dams are made to fill up at the END of rainy season so that they may serve their purpose of flood control. What good did these dams do for Indian Punjab if they could not control the death and misery? Does it occur to you that may be you should raise questions instead of indulging in knee-jerk reaction?

Go through my posts and do inform me which of my posts are a result of 'conspiracy theories based of anti India rhetoric'?

I was replying to your rhetoric, "in 1988 India having two dams on Ravi still released water and flooded Pakistan thats why some of us are blaming India". Dams can not store unlimited water, they have a limit and if receives water more than that capacity in a raining season, then it is necessary to open the flood gates. Also, Ravi has major dam named Ranjit Sagar dam and it was under construction at that time and only became operational in 2001. Now tell me, how we should have controlled flood in 1988?

I was replying to your rhetoric, "in 1988 India having two dams on Ravi still released water and flooded Pakistan thats why some of us are blaming India". Dams can not store unlimited water, they have a limit and if receives water more than that capacity in a raining season, then it is necessary to open the flood gates. Also, Ravi has major dam named Ranjit Sagar dam and it was under construction at that time and only became operational in 2001. Now tell me, how we should have controlled flood in 1988?

Dude ji, you are misquoting me. As far as my posts are concerned, context is important. That too is missing. I gave the reference to 1988 flood as the worst case of flooding for which many people blamed India. How does that equate with me directly accusing India? Moreover, as I observed, you have obviously not read through my posts on this thread. I have been saying that India can not stop a flood. How is that different from what you are saying? My concern is that while India has multiple dams on rivers, a more timely warning is expected and called for. A number of Indian posters are supporting my stand.

Why are you the only Indian who is looking to quarrel with me. Ghar main sab OK hai? Koi Ghussa to nahi utarna hai aap ko mujh par?

Dude ji, you are misquoting me. As far as my posts are concerned, context is important. That too is missing. I gave the reference to 1988 flood as the worst case of flooding for which many people blamed India. How does that equate with me directly accusing India? Moreover, as I observed, you have obviously not read through my posts on this thread. I have been saying that India can not stop a flood. How is that different from what you are saying? My concern is that while India has multiple dams on rivers, a more timely warning is expected and called for. A number of Indian posters are supporting my stand.

Why are you the only Indian who is looking to quarrel with me. Ghar main sab OK hai? Koi Ghussa to nahi utarna hai aap ko mujh par?

Warning or water level details are given on frequent basis. There is no news from pakistani establishment regarding not assing information.

The news headlines are scary though. It looks like India doing it deliberately as it will worsen the floods. What else can we do in such situation?

Back
Top Bottom